How to File A Complaint About DIRECTV

Full story: NBC 10 Philadelphia

Call the Bureau of Consumer Protection inside Pennsylvania at 441-2555 to obtain complaint form.
Comments
21 - 40 of 210 Comments Last updated Jul 28, 2014

Since: Mar 08

Ontario, CA

#22 Jun 8, 2009
Kristen wrote:
<quoted text>
**********
If DTV is so great, why are you on a consumer complaint board about DTV? Now thats what I call BS.
I am? That's news to me. Did you ever stop and think, that someone else just might happen to have the same screen moniker as me? And I never said directv was "so great". I simply stated that monthly rate increases, were bull, as well as his "surprise" credit card billing. I have had charter, dish, and direct, and direct has far been the better choice, hands down. Are they perfect? No, but they are the best choice in my opinion.. So sorry to burst your bubble, but you are wrong on BOTH accusations...
Obi

Saint Augustine, FL

#23 Jun 15, 2009
I cancelled DirecTV in April, returned all equipment & paid my final bill. Shortly after that they started calling all phone numbers they had of mine continuously trying to get me back. I advised them to stop the harrassment as I am on the Do-Not-Call list but it continues. Then last month I receive a $84 bill from them listing PPV`s that supposedly were made on one of my receivers & after a lot of back & forth, I gave up & just paid it even though they were not mine. Then today, I get another bill for $16.98 supposedly for yet another PPV form 9/12/2007. I didn`t even have DirecTV then!! I went to check online & my account is still open AND they just charged my credit card!! They STOLE my money! There was NO autopay set up nor did I authorize the payment, they just TOOK IT! I just wrote them the following letter:
I just received yet another bill from you people today for an additional $16.96!! And when I checked my account, you DARED to charge my credit card already!!
First of all, the PPV charge on this bill is from 09/12/2007, BEFORE I even was a Directv customer!! NOT MY PPV! Secondly, I am NOT enrolled in auto pay so HOW DARE you charge my credit card without authorization!!
I demand my money back that you stole from me PLUS my account CLOSED once and for all, online and off.
And one last thing, STOP CALLING ME. I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST!
If you do not stop ALL OF THE ABOVE IMMEDIATELY and do not return my $16.96, I WILL take legal actions against your company, you can count on it!
Manny

Downers Grove, IL

#24 Jun 16, 2009
PLEASE LET EVERYBODY KNOW THAT WHEN YOU SIGN UP IN DIRECT TV IS A TWO YEAR COMMITTMENT EVEN IF THEY DON'T TELL YOU AND YOU WILL PAY 20 PER MONTH IF YOU CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT.SO IF YOU CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT ON THE FIRST YEAR..YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY ADDITIONAL 120 DOLLARS AND THEY WILL CHARGE YOU CREDIT CARD...I LEARN IT THE HARDWAY.
anonymous wrote:
Hi,
I had been a directv customer since Dec., 2002. But in June-July of 2006 I saw a Directv High Definition Satellite System on Ebay so I bid on it and won. And I disconnected my old Directv satellite system and connected the newer HD satellite system. I then called Directv and informed that I was a current customer and had them activate the HD satellite receiver that I had just bought...Presto I then had HD programming. But in Jan-Febuary of 2007 my hd satellite receiver was malfunctioning so Directv sent me a replacement receiver when I hooked up the new replacement receiver I soon found that that receiver was defective. So instead of having them send me yet another receiver I decided to cancel my directv service and they sent me the boxes to send back the receivers. And then later on Directv informed me that I was being charged $277 for braching the contract. Funny thing is when I had activated the high definition programming back in July 2006, the directv representative never even mentioned that I was entering into a two year committment. As a matter of fact I a two year contract was never even mentioned in that phone call. So for the last year and five months I have been getting calls from collection agency after collection agency demanding that I pay the money for breaching a contract that I was never even made aware of when I singed up for Directv's High definition programming. And the latest insult was getting a phone call from a law firm demanding that I pay Directv the money that they think that I owe them. Now I have to have a friend of mine who is a lawyer send a letter to that law firm to dispute the BOGUS Directv charges. No my adice to anyone who is thinking about getting directv is not to buy from Directv. Or if you still want to get Directv please be advised that they will enter you into a two year committment and they won't always inform you that you are entering into a two year contract as was my case.
Tam

Atlanta, GA

#26 Jul 10, 2009
So I call DirecTv customer service- asking what the deal with this bill? REP SAID MY SERVICE COST $ 75!!!! AND IF I WANT THE $ 50 SERVICE, I NEED TO SEND IN SOME REBATE ONLINE! And then I need to wait a month or two to see it take effect on my account. WAIT A MINUTE I SAID! WHEN THE SERVICE WAS SOLD TO ME, THERE WAS NOT ONE WORD ABOUT REBATE!!!SENDING IT IN, WAITING FOR IT.... WORD REBATE WAS NOT PART OF THE SALES PRESENTATION AS HE WAS SIGNING ME UP! I said that's not right! Why would you tell me to go thru some steps to get some rebate so I can get what I was promised? Anyways, rep was being totally unprofessional and basically said it is what it is! This was a rebate program and If I want that deal, I need to go thru the rebate process!
I was so pissed so I called DirectPath. Rep there heared me out, said I will get credit and that a manager will call me. NEVER HAPPENED. NO MANAGER OR ANYONE CALLED ME.
Then I fly in to Europe for a month and come back this month, in june. I told myself, once and for all I need to get this taken care of!
So I call, ask the rep to put me on the phone with manager. I wait for nearly 30 minutes on hold and then get dropped by DirecTv. Didn't get to speak to anyone after nearly 30 minute hold:)
Okay, so I tell myself next day I have to get this resolved. I call, rep tells me to tell her what happened? I told her about my bill being wrong and that I am not supposed to have $ 75 on it, that rebate was never mentioned. She said" Ohhh, I understand your frustration" THEN TELLS ME " YOU STILL HAVE 10 DAYS TO FILE A REBATE". I ask for a manager. I see it is not going anywhere. I get a billing manager on the phone who could see I just about had it. SO WHAT DOES DIRECTV BILLING MANAGER TELLS ME? Well' basically that we would not be having this conversation if I would have done rebate! I SAID SIR WHEN YOUR COMPANY SOLD ME THIS SERVICE, YOUR REP DIDN'T SAY A WORD ABOUT REBATE, WHY WOULD YOU MAKE A CUSTOMER JUMP THRU HOOPS TO GET $ 50 THAT WAS PROMISED BY YOUR SALES REP WHEN HE SIGNED ME UP? This manager was not hearing it! He basically that I don't have another choice that I HAVE TO DO REBATE- Ohhh and even if I will, it will take about 2 billing statements before I see it apply.
THAT'S JUST WRONG. IT'S NOT THE $ 25 THAT I KEEP PAYING EXTRA EACH MONTH FOR SOMETHING I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR, IT'S THE FACT THAT SALES REP AT DirecTV CAN SAY WHATEVER HE WANTS WHEN HE SELLS AND NOT MENTION A WORD ABOUT SOME REBATE AND THEN DIRECTV PUSHES A CUSTOMER TO HAVE TO APPLY FOR REBATE OR BE PUNISHED WITH EXTRA FEES!
I don't know what to do! When I wanted to cancel the service, they told me to pay hundreds of dollars in cancelation fees! So they won't correct their mistake, they won't cancel my service for free- instead they try to bully me into going online, signing up for a rebate and then wait about 2 month before it takes place. Basically everything I have been paying so far has been the wrong price, all reps and management thus far has not done anything to correct their mistake. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! THIS HAS BEEN ONE TERRIBLE EXPERIANCE DOING BUSINESS WITH DIRECTV!
lexi

United States

#27 Jul 13, 2009
okay now this is the worst system ever! we hooked out tv to the DTV and i couldnt see one change in the picture! the only thing that changed was that every time someone walked infront of the signal the picture froze up! this system just caused more frustration and more money for the families that need that money to put food on the table.
lexi

United States

#28 Jul 13, 2009
DTV SUCKS!!
dkb

Kansas City, MO

#29 Jul 13, 2009
My mother-in-law cancelled a month ago and then received a new bill. She told them she wanted to cancel her service but they kept trying to sell her something else so she hung up on them. They told her since she hung up during the cancellation call they didn't stop her service. I took over the account and spent 90 minutes over 2 phone calls on the phone with various customer service reps and supervisors and nobody would help me - not even get an address for an office president. I have been a Directv customer for over 12 years but was so furious with them that I cancelled my subscription right on the spot. They were willing to let me go also over this issue. Who do I contact next?
Rob

Coatesville, PA

#30 Jul 15, 2009
You must work for DTV. I hate you and them!
W_T_F wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but that's bs. First off, directv raises their prices yearly(like every other service does), not monthly. I have had their service for 12 years, and I have never seen " monthly increases". Second, if you had bothered to read your agreement, you would see that you actually agreed to pay by credit\debit when cancelling, per directv customer agreement...
"(e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date".
A credit or debit card has been required to establish service, at least since I signed up 12 years ago. The fact that you didn't take the time to read the agreement, is nobodys fault but your own. And no, I don't work for directv....I just read agreements before I sign up for anything...
Rob

Coatesville, PA

#31 Jul 15, 2009
Hi Norman
I had been a DTV customer for years. I moved and an installer and a supervisor came out and said that I could not get reception in my new area, so I was forced to terminate. I was told that I would not be charged because I was not at fault. Days later, I went into my account to pay my mortgage and DTV had debited $234 from my checking account without my knowledge or consent. They kept my account info when I paid my bill online.I was told that if they have a credit card on file, they are authorized to go into the account. If I had not paid by debit card, they would not have been able to get anything. I guess, then, they would harrass me by phone. I called them everyday and explained the problem over and over again. It took three months for them to refund my money! I hate them!!! Thank God for FIOS.
Norman wrote:
Like some of you I WAS a Directv customer for years (6 years). The cost of our service began to creep up each month by $4-$5.00 per month. Verizon FiOS was available in my nighborhood so we decided to cancel Directv. We owned the equipment, had no outstanding balance, and we had no contract. I was told by the Directv rep that I canceled with that I would receive a final bill. I waited 1 and half weeks but no bill. Then I discovered that Directv had charged my debit card for $112.60. That's more than what I normally pay per month. What really fired me up was the fact they charged my card without warning and without my permission. I typically pay my bill using my online bank bill payment system but there were 2 occasions in which I paid my bill with my ATM card. Directv stores card information in their system. After you use your credit card or debit card to pay a bill you, according to Directv, authorize Directv to charge your card for any amount due to them. BEWARE of the method in which you pay your Directv bill. If you give them a debit card or credit card they can charge your account anytime you owe them and they are not obligated to seek your permission/authorization to do so.
Norm Rawson

Lockport, NY

#32 Jul 28, 2009
In October of 2006 my service with DirecTV was activated on a
two year contract. I purchased 2 DVRís for $199 each at that time.

During the entire 32 monthe I have been with DirecTV, I have
paid $5.99 monthly as maintenance on the DVRís. Total $190.68

In May of 2009 I was having trouble with both DVRís, so I called them
for service. Since I was paying for maintenance I expected them to either repair
or replace the DVRís at their option.

The service Technician said both DVRís needed to be replaced. He installed new DVRís and took my old ones.

Them end of June 2009 I changed to Dish Network and cancelled with DirecTV.

I just received their bill, and they are charging me a $200 early cancellation fee.

I contacted DirecTV on 07/13/2009and they claim that the new, leased, DVRís were an upgrade and that the upgrade automatically started a new 2 year contract.

I did not ask for an upgrade. I simply asked for repair of my units. The technician said the units needed to be replaced. I of course assumed they were being replaced under the $5.99 monthly maintenance fee I had been paying. If not, then what was the maintenance fee used for. Due to the fact I bought the original DVRís, why did I have to return them when I received the new ones unless they were simply replacing rather than repairing them at their option.

I feel I have been treated unfairly and that the $200 fee should be removed from my bill.

My credit card provider says they can only refund the actual amount of the final bill,$169, which is $200 less partial month credits.
Kevin

Truckee, CA

#33 Aug 5, 2009
Signed up Directv 8-25-09. Bought a hd-dvr on 5-24-09 called Directv to see if I was able to activate this used hd dvr receiver I just bought at a yard sale. I asked the guy if it needed to be returned as its a leased receiver correct? He said no worries the receiver is now activated. 3 days later I turned it on and says not activated.

So I called dtv and they said its $200 to activate the leased box becaused it belonged to another account. I asked why did you rep say it was activated? No answer.

I returned the Receiver to the owner and told him he should return it becuase its leased.

Well 7-15-09 my dtv billed showed a charge of around $500 for a non returned receiver. I went back to the guy and got the receiver and sent it back to dtv myself. They erased the charge.

Today 8-05-09 I just got laid off so I called dtv to ask to cancel my account effective 8-25-09 exactly 2 years from the start.

Seems all pretty basic at this point until the rep tells me the total payoff is around $480 because of the termination fees associated with the used receiver I tried to activate. Just crazy. I realize now that on that first day the rep activated the used receiver in a heartbeat because he knew I was getting roped into a new contract. Directv sucks. Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated.
MJM ABQ

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Nov 20, 2009
Purchased Directv service with the Refer a Friend program. Called the appropriate number while the installer was there, gave the account numbers, got a letter in the mail stating that I didn't purchase my equip through the referral program (Qwest was the bundle group)or didn't provide the customer number of my friend. Both not true. I appealed, they sent the same letter, appealed and got a call that was useless. I plan on appealing to the Attorney General of the state.
msc

United States

#35 Nov 29, 2009
Direct only cares about how much money they can get from you. I have extended service but because I connected a box from the living room to the bedroom, they want to charge me $50 to get it to work in that room!! WHY???? Because I did it instead of a technician - go figure! It's their box I just moved it to another room! this is sooooo STUPID! I'm NOT paying an extra $50 for someone to come and "touch" the box or plug it in the room instead of me! This PISSES me off!!!
Mark Moore

Seattle, WA

#36 Dec 29, 2009
For those than are contemplating legal action - the state of Washington has sued Directv. Check their announcement: http://www.atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx...
Katie

Wilkes Barre, PA

#37 Feb 2, 2010
Directv just took $530 out of my bank account after I cancelled my service. They never had a reason to do so, and they certainly didn't have my permission. As everyone else said, I should hopefully see a refund of about $300 in 6-8 weeks, MONEY THAT I DIDN'T EVEN OWE THEM. my question is how did they know the exact dollar amount that would bring my acount exactly to $0. I am devestated, I cannot pay my rent and bills because I was depending on most of that money to do those things, along with my next paycheck. I talked to my bank and they told me to dispute the charges, however this takes about 1-3 months to resolve, if you can resolve it at all. It is disgusting that they are allowed to keep your information on file from online payments for the purpose of emptying your account if the find it necessary. I never was enrolled in Auto-Pay or anything like that, they simple kept my card # and took my money without my permission. I AM NOT A SHILL, I LIVE IN WILKES-BARRE AND IM ABOUT TO BE EVICTED, MY NAME IS KATIE KINSEY AND IM ON FACEBOOK~ WE HAVE TO UNITE.*********DO NOT SIGN UP FOR DIRECTV**********
IF YOU DO~ NEVER EVER CANCEL BECAUSE THEY EXTEND YOUR CONTRACT WITHOUT EVER TELLING YOU, WHICH GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO EMPTY YOUR ACCOUNT IT SEEMS
David

Champaign, IL

#38 Feb 24, 2010
Kristen wrote:
I previously paid a DTV bill for my uncle back in 02/09 and 03/09. On 06/01/09 and 06/02/09, I was charged $574.19 from DTV. I called and explained to them this bill is not mine, therefore, it is not my responsibilty to pay for it. The customer service rep, Lauren, agreed and requested I fax a printout from my bank to her so this could be credited back to me. I did so immediately. She then called back as rude as she could be, stating because my card was previously used, it's on the account as a "payment option" and I lived at the address previously so it will not be refunded. I asked her to send me anything, even an electronic signature, with my authorization to be responsible for my uncles bill. She said, "We don't have anything with your name on it." Well dimwit, what gives you the right to steal my money? I asked to speak with her supervisor, but she flat out refused to give me his/her name. DTV is a scam company who will steal money from anyone they can, any way they can. Please, if you are considering DTV, read this and the previous complaints, and reconsider. They haven't heard the last of me. I filed a claim with my bank, who out right said they absolutley cannot get away with this. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB, Federal Trade Commission, as well as the Attorney General. Please complain to these organizations if you have an issue with DTV. Maybe enough complaints will get them to change their shady and ILLEGAL billing practices.
THIS IS BS , HAS TO BE a DIRECTV REP TYPING THIS , WHEN I SIGNED UP WITH DIRECTV SEVERAL YEARS AGO I DINDNT HAVE A CREDIT / DEBIT CARD , THEREFOR , THEY DIDNT HAVE 1 ON FILE , UNTIL 3 YEARS , THEN A YEAR AGO I PAID MY BILL WITH A DIFFERENT ONE , DIRECTV IS NOT OXYGEN , THEY'RE A CABLE PROVIDER ONLY REASON WHY THEY'RE IN BUSINESS IS BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE NFL TICKET , THE DAY THAT CHANGES , DIRECTV WILL GO UNDER MARK MY WORDS I RECCOMEND EVERY0PONE EMAIL THE NFL , POLITICIANS , BBB . AND YOUR ATTY. GENERAL COMPLAIN ABOUT DIRECTV MAYBE THE MONOPOLY WILL BE OVER!!!!
Tina

Champaign, IL

#39 Mar 1, 2010
If you guys haven't complained about directv to the BBB , Atty. general , trade commission , then do it!!!!!Then write your congressman about it.And before you cancel directv cancel your credit card!Or they will charge it without you permission.Also email them daily to let them they know they suck , this seems to annoy them alot.
David

Champaign, IL

#40 Mar 1, 2010
www.directvscams.com Would you reward a kid for stealing from your purse? Of course you wouldn't.Then why is the NFL rewarding Directv with exclussive rights? They lie , cheat , and steal.They charge you to lease their equipment , then charge you upto $5.99 to protect it against repairs.They will also make unauthorized charges to your credit/debit card.This is 100% accurate , google directv complainsts , it will blow your mind , they had over 20,000 complaints in 3 years , thats a BBB record.They have 3 lawsuits pending , in California , Washington , and Oregon.This does not include the silent suits.My goal is to get congress to open the NFL Sunday Ticket to cable companies , And all Satellite companies , At the top there is a Petition , my goal is to get 10,000 signatures then I'm sending the petition to congress.America needs competition , what if there was only 1 electrc company , gas company , Or auto maker?You Get the point , Thanks for your support! Earl David Evans
Wendy Sprague

Jackson, OH

#41 Mar 4, 2010
Every year I have to sign up for directv to get the NFL package. And each year there is a hassle either on start up or in an attmept to cancel. This year it is the later. On Jan 15, 2010 I called to pay off and cancel my directv. I was given a confirmation number. Come Feb. I receive a bill for services for the month of Jan. After giving the representative my confirmation number for my suspended service the month before I am given another confirmation number and I believe I am finished once and for all. Silly me, March 4 I receive yet another bill from the collection department stating I have an unpaid balance. I make it to a supervisor who tells me that when I called in Jan. to suspend service, gave my credit card to pay off my account I was supposed to call back again to tell them of my wishes. She then proceeded to hang up on me. Will somone please give my the number for the consumer agency that protects us from companines like directv. Thanks
fed up

Milton, FL

#42 Mar 5, 2010
I was a customer of DirecTV since March 2002; I just recently moved and signed up for the mover connection. Well their installer came out here and stated "he could not get signal anywhere on my property". I was not happy at that time and I think he knew it so he "asked if I wanted a second opinion" (at that time I was fuming, and not thinking straight, I said no) and he mentions "since I can not get signal you will be let out of your contract because it is not your fault that we can not get signal to my house to provide service". So I go inside and call DirecTV and speak to a customer service lady and she states "it is policy that you get a second opinion" so I was like "ok schedule it then seeing how it is policy" so she continues to say "that the second opinion will be done within 24 hours" and I was saying "cool". So hung up the phone with her thinking that within 24 hours I will be able to have that second opinion if I can get signal or if I have to find someone else. So I WAIT and WAIT 3 frecking days, NO call NO nothing from DirecTV. So guess what I call DirecTV 800-531-5000 the moverís connection number and JUST WANTED TO CHECK THE STATUS OF THE 2MD OPINION. Needless to say I spent OVER 3 hours on the phone and I think I got transferred to every department they have twice and maybe even three times. I spoke to VERY FEW NICE people and a HECK OF ALOT OF RUDE ONES. I even had one lady (cough, cough) in disconnects try to tell me that she could not get me her supervisor, she had to IM him and if I did not like that I could pretty much sit and spin. Then she would not put me on hold to wait for her supervisors because ďI was not going to mess up her numbersĒ EXCUSE ME? I have NEVER been talked to like she did in all my 38 years. I just wanted to go through the phone. So I wrote an e-mail to the Office of the President at DirecTV and got a call back promptly, but excuse me I work and have other things to do that I just got back to her after 5 days. Another reason I called back was because they charged my Credit card my final bill WITHOUT my permission and authorization. I have until the 20th to pay the final bill and that sure as heck did not give them permission to take it as they saw fit. DirecTV is a piece of crap outfit that could care less about its customers, which are keeping them in business.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glendale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 10 min Captain petropulas 200,578
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 20 min Right On 18,860
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 34 min FLORIDA SWAMPER 27,071
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 3 hr Serpico 2,368
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 5 hr Macko mono 5,000
Serial Rapist Arrested In LA; 2 Victims in Chicago (Sep '07) 10 hr So scary 89
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 14 hr Tank ever 7,926
•••

Glendale News Video

•••
•••

Glendale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Glendale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Glendale News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Glendale
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••