Judge fines town, town manager in Glen Lyn FOIA dispute

Aug 31, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Roanoke Times

A Giles County judge this morning fined the town of Glen Lyn and the town's manager for willfully withholding a public document that a watchdog group had requested through the Freedom of Information Act.

Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Oct 25, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Giles County News

Newport, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2012

Judged:

Howard Spencer --GUILTY,GUILTY,GUILTY. Yesterday I was given a copy of the Garage contract that was at the heart of the lawsuit. I now understand why Howard Spencer tried to keep the Glen Lyn/Giles County Partnership garage contract out of the hands of the citizens group. I've known Mr. Spencer for over 15 years and I always thought highly of him until I saw the contract and also was allowed to view other documents about Mr. Spencer and the Partnership. From what I saw and from what I'm hearing this is just the beginning of the end for Mr. Spencer, the Partnership's Board members, and a few County officials. I have also been told by three people that Federal Agents were in Giles County inquiring about the Partnership and one of the people told me they were personally interviewed for over two hours about the Partnership's activities. I think September will be a very interesting news month.
Giles County News II

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

There are several people I have heard were interviewed, there are only one or two that know the whole story, do you know which one they interviewed.
WTF

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

Giles County News wrote:
Howard Spencer --GUILTY,GUILTY,GUILTY. Yesterday I was given a copy of the Garage contract that was at the heart of the lawsuit. I now understand why Howard Spencer tried to keep the Glen Lyn/Giles County Partnership garage contract out of the hands of the citizens group. I've known Mr. Spencer for over 15 years and I always thought highly of him until I saw the contract and also was allowed to view other documents about Mr. Spencer and the Partnership. From what I saw and from what I'm hearing this is just the beginning of the end for Mr. Spencer, the Partnership's Board members, and a few County officials. I have also been told by three people that Federal Agents were in Giles County inquiring about the Partnership and one of the people told me they were personally interviewed for over two hours about the Partnership's activities. I think September will be a very interesting news month.
Was any of the partnership money used to support the garage, if so isn't that a miss use of nonprofit funds, but you here everything.
Rumors

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

Remember, believe about half of what you see and none of what you hear. This witch hunt, brought on by the "concerned for themselves only citizens" has been going on for about 7 years. You would think,if there was anything illegal to be found, that he would be in jail by now. He isn't because there is nothing illegal to charge him with. He hasn't done anything except provide training and equipment to people, fix their houses for free, brought them jobs and benefits and tried to rejuvenate a worn down, depleted Western end of the county. What has the "concerned citizens" done for anyone, other than themselves? The only thing this witch hunt has accomplished is drag a good, honorable man through the mud and fight every attempt he has made to help the citizens of the Western District.
rumors ii

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

Well, i can tell you who will get the blame for the so called trouble he is in and i can assure you they had nothing to do with it. the trouble was brought on by his own way of not listening when people talk. He blamed this person everytime he got the chance, and I know for a fact that it wasn't them and if it had been they would have admitted it. That is what loyality will get you with him, nothing, he has no loyality to any one but his self, and nothing is ever his fault. Now as to wheather or not they were talked to I do not know, but I can guarantee you if they were they answered the questions truthfully. So don't talk to me about what he has done, you do not know him that well i can tell from what i am reading you either work for him in some respect, or you are him, or you are doing this to impress, either way you can bet, if it came down to you or him well. That is just my opinion, other than I know for a fact who he will blame.
Rumors

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Judged:

I have known him for 30 years, I think I know him quite well. He taught me in school, coached me in sports and I lived in the Western District most of my life. The only problem I have seen with any of his dealings over the years was that he got on the wrong side of an environmental group over a project that not only helped keep your power bill lower, but turned a mess into a prime piece of commercial real estate. I am not trying to impress anyone, I was just raised to believe that you don't throw stones at someone based on somebody else's dislike of them. Prove me wrong, if you can, and show me any proof that he has done anything illegal. Of course history has taught us that people are quick to judge, quick to condemn and quick to criticize anybody that shows the least bit of initiative. I say kudos to him for having the drive and backbone to help others, even through all of the ridiculous rumors and lies.
Give me a break

Pembroke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

"Prove me wrong, if you can, and show me any proof that he has done anything illegal."
You are kidding aren't you? He just testified in court that he produced a fraudulent document to cover his ass. His own co-defendant, the Mayor, even said Spencer was lying. As someone else wrote -- he was GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY.
"a project that not only helped keep your power bill lower, but turned a mess into a prime piece of commercial real estate"
What world are you living in? The property has no power or water. It has been tied up in court for over a year. Why? because Howard and friends are being sued (sound familiar) for breech of contract and trespass. But don't worry he is probably in Glen Lyn right now typing documents and backdating them to cover his ass.
As far as saving money on your power bill "give me a break". Howard once said AEP had saved $60,000.00 that would be passed on to the customer. I can only hope Mr. Spencer didn't teach you math. With over a million customers you may have saved sixty cents. If you feel it's okay to pollute the river and poison your neighbor for sixty cents than you and Howard can both go straight to ......
Blind Support

Pembroke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

"You would think,if there was anything illegal to be found, that he would be in jail by now. He isn't because there is nothing illegal to charge him with."

To quote an old proverb "The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine". I hear that by the end of September the truth about the Giles Partnership and Howard Spencer will be out.

Grand Jury and charges will follow soon after.

Maybe you can sit behind Mr. Spencer in court when the Judge sentences him. I'm sure he will appreciate the support.
?????

Rich Creek, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2012

Rumors wrote:
Remember, believe about half of what you see and none of what you hear. This witch hunt, brought on by the "concerned for themselves only citizens" has been going on for about 7 years. You would think,if there was anything illegal to be found, that he would be in jail by now. He isn't because there is nothing illegal to charge him with. He hasn't done anything except provide training and equipment to people, fix their houses for free, brought them jobs and benefits and tried to rejuvenate a worn down, depleted Western end of the county. What has the "concerned citizens" done for anyone, other than themselves? The only thing this witch hunt has accomplished is drag a good, honorable man through the mud and fight every attempt he has made to help the citizens of the Western District.
Good? Honorable? Please personally speaking I have tried to deal with him and he had no interest in community issues that did not benefit him personally wake up.
Rumors

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Poison the river and neighbors? Don't you do the same thing every time you turn on a light switch, heat your dinner or run your computer? Unless you live in a cave and hunt for your food with sticks and stones you are just as guilty as him and everyone else. And I don't remember him ever saying anything about creating a fraudulent document, but feel free to show me the transcript. One of his biggest opponents (now anyway) worked for him for many years. If there were any questionable activities don't you think she would be chomping at the bit to produce any evidence to put him away? He is still free, and still helping the community, even though the "concerned for themselves only citizens" are still trying to throw him under the bus. That shows what kind of man he is, what are you doing to help the community?
rumorsii

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Rumors wrote:
Poison the river and neighbors? Don't you do the same thing every time you turn on a light switch, heat your dinner or run your computer? Unless you live in a cave and hunt for your food with sticks and stones you are just as guilty as him and everyone else. And I don't remember him ever saying anything about creating a fraudulent document, but feel free to show me the transcript. One of his biggest opponents (now anyway) worked for him for many years. If there were any questionable activities don't you think she would be chomping at the bit to produce any evidence to put him away? He is still free, and still helping the community, even though the "concerned for themselves only citizens" are still trying to throw him under the bus. That shows what kind of man he is, what are you doing to help the community?
No, I don't think she would be chomping at the bit, never has, she was hurt by the way he done her, and I do know for a fact she was interviewed, and answered the questions truthfully, the only thing that she said was that she answered exactly what she was ask no more no less, and did so truthfully, but it all depends on what she was ask now doesn't it, and you know she was chomping at the bit how, she saw his deposition, and could have probably said alot more, yet she kept it to what she was ask, I myself ask her if there was anything else she could have said and she laughed and said am I under oath and then said exactly what are you asking. I am very sure that she could have told them alot, I have known her all my life, I know they call her a bit@@, but she is one of the most honest, caring people, I have ever met, she doesn't trust anyone and that could be her biggest fault. I myself saw how she was treated in that office by him, and he went out of his way to embrass her front of people, exclude her everytime he got the chance, even when the rest of his staff attended functions, he in some cases was down right mean to her. Yet, she went to all the meetings on the land across the river, board meetings, stood out in the rain and cold to help him run for office, to the point where she was so sick, she landed at the Dr's office after his petition was apporved. You know nothing about her so before that judgemental mouth of yours gets started, walk a mile in her shoes when she worked for him before you post this sh&& about her. Now one thing that she will tell you is that she didn't vote for him this time, and that was because that she felt he should retire. Even helped him get his signatures, she stated plainly he was going to lose and who was she to stop him. I kown that she is one of the most honest people that I know, she doesn't lie, won't tattle, but she will tell you if you try to hurt her or anyone in her family, she will make you regret the day you tried and do it to your face. So I am doing this for her, HOWARD SPENCER MADE HIS OWN BED, SO LET HIM LAY IN IT. AND the next time you feel like chomping your lips don't. She's moved on and really doesn't care anymore, and hasn't for a long time stupid.
rumorsii

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Oh, and just so you kown I am quite sure that she knows more than she's telling. She's one who has to be ask, the right question.
Rumors

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

I don't remember saying anything negative about this person, or anyone else for that matter. The only negative post are coming from you about Mr. Spencer, and you still can't back up anything you are saying with evidence. As far as passing judgement, that my friend is on you also. Where in my post did I pass any judgement on her? I never berated her character, judgement or what she did/didn't do. You are doing enough of that yourself against him.
rumors ii

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Rumors wrote:
I don't remember saying anything negative about this person, or anyone else for that matter. The only negative post are coming from you about Mr. Spencer, and you still can't back up anything you are saying with evidence. As far as passing judgement, that my friend is on you also. Where in my post did I pass any judgement on her? I never berated her character, judgement or what she did/didn't do. You are doing enough of that yourself against him.
I think, my friend that you need to read your post again, his opponent no she isn't and has never been, accused her of chomping at the bit, no she was approached, and feels that it may not be over, here again if ask the right question, it may not be. I haven't said anything other than what she will tell you herself, all you need to do is ask, she was screwed over and knows it. But as for the other, ask anyone who worked for him, they will tell you how he did her, and I saw it myself so that is all the evidence I need.
To Rumors ii

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Judged:

I agree he did not treat her well, I saw that as well, and as far as what she knows, I would say plenty, and yes you are right, you have to ask the right question, and from what I was told by her they didn't quite get there. She is honest and caring,extremely intelligent, and has helped me on several occassions, and I have never let anyone say anything different, I think it is the fact she really doesn't care what people think that makes her such a big target. I do know that if Spencer had paid attention on several occassions about that garage he wouldn't be where he is at today, she always had a problem when it came to that garage and the money that was put into it. My question was where did that money come from.

But, if its not over, maybe they did finally get to the right question.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Judged:

I know it's difficult to hear bad things about someone that you have known and liked for years, but people change and the love of power usually corrupts. If you will read the article in local paper and re-read it in the Roanoke Times, you will see that Spencer testified that he typed the contract (in 2012) AFTER he got the second request for it. He also testified that his wife took the contract to Mr. Ould's home to get him to sign it....Mr. Ould testified under oath that he signed the contract close to the time it was written(6/1 and 6/6)in 2006! I believe Mr. Ould. Sounds like to me that Howard committed fraud while trying to coverup withholding the lease from the concerned group in 2008. The judge (after hearing ALL of the evidence) apparently thought the same thing. It's hard to accept that maybe your loyalty to Spencer was misplaced.
lol

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2012

Judged:

Rumors wrote:
Do you know how to read, the papers said it all/
West of the rough spot

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

Judged:

This witch hunt against Howard Spencer is a big Joke... It is pitiful that this person (who we all know) Says all this bad stuff about Howard.. He did nothing to her but help her.. Like the old saying " You can lead a Horse to water but you cant make him drank" I wish these so called "Concerned Citizens" Would look in a mirror and take a big look at there selfs... All they are concerned about is Finding something on a person that has done nothing but help the people of Glen Lyn and The County.. They should be more concerned, like I am and most people in Giles County are.. Like how to create more Jobs, How to make there Town and Giles County better. How to save Celco and the AEP Plant in Glen Lyn... I pray for these people that try to tear down good people...and tear down our County.. People that were with this bunch and quit say they are crazy.. Are they??? I dont know.. But I dont believe in what they stand for and I hope you dont either.. There is only a little over 16 thousand people that live in this county.( guessing ).. I pray that these very Few people that are on this Witch Hunt to get a life.. and dont blame your rotten lot on life on Howard Spencer... I promise you he is a good man and I will stand beside him or in front of him and take a bullet.. He means a lot more and can do a lot more for this County than most of us... Thanks have a great Day..
Give me a break

Newport, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

Judged:

Witch hunt? Give me a break. Howard Spencer is a liar and a thief. Howard Spencer doesn't do a thing in this County without having an angle that helps himself. You might be willing to stand in front of him and take a bullet but I guarantee he won't do the same for you or anyone else. I'm grateful someone in this County is trying to hold Howard Spencer and those gutless wonders, that masquerade as Supervisors and Partnership board members, accountable. Howard Spencer thinks he is above the law but people have a democratic right to hold dishonest officials like Spencer accountable.
interested44

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

Judged:

West of the rough spot wrote:
This witch hunt against Howard Spencer is a big Joke... It is pitiful that this person (who we all know) Says all this bad stuff about Howard.. He did nothing to her but help her.. Like the old saying " You can lead a Horse to water but you cant make him drank" I wish these so called "Concerned Citizens" Would look in a mirror and take a big look at there selfs... All they are concerned about is Finding something on a person that has done nothing but help the people of Glen Lyn and The County.. They should be more concerned, like I am and most people in Giles County are.. Like how to create more Jobs, How to make there Town and Giles County better. How to save Celco and the AEP Plant in Glen Lyn... I pray for these people that try to tear down good people...and tear down our County.. People that were with this bunch and quit say they are crazy.. Are they??? I dont know.. But I dont believe in what they stand for and I hope you dont either.. There is only a little over 16 thousand people that live in this county.( guessing ).. I pray that these very Few people that are on this Witch Hunt to get a life.. and dont blame your rotten lot on life on Howard Spencer... I promise you he is a good man and I will stand beside him or in front of him and take a bullet.. He means a lot more and can do a lot more for this County than most of us... Thanks have a great Day..
==========
the AEp plant has been on the schedule for 18+ years to close in 2014. AEP would like you to believe its EPA's fault...that is just pure crap! They know it too

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Glen Lyn Discussions

Search the Glen Lyn Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
stupid democrats 3 hr Yes 22
be happy with what you have 4 hr Zip zap 3
hey! 5 hr hey 1
whos my daddy 5 hr i hate mexicans 18
Grants coming to Pburg? 5 hr love grants 27
Kevin (Aug '13) 11 hr hmmm 42
26 foot 1988 Gulfstream RV - Lots of New Items ... 17 hr bum 2
•••
•••