School district to enter talks with hospital district on sharing of services

A donated surplus school bus from the Estes Park R-3 district waits in the hospital ambulance section, to be used in emergencies. Full Story
Concerned Supporter

Denver, CO

#1 Feb 7, 2013
I am usually on board with forward thinking and innovation, but are you KIDDING ME?

An old school bus has been stuffed into the adjacent neighborhood - in the backyard of a house that the hospital purchased a few years ago. It is being hailed as an adjunct to life saving treatment? A polite 'No Thank you' would have been a better choice for the Hospital: by the time this bus is used for a big accident, the tires will be cracked, the fuel gelled, and the electrical wiring shredded by rodents (they spell that risk "LIABILITY"). How about keeping a list of phone numbers for school bus operators with safe, well maintained buses in case of an emergency?

Case in point: Name the date of the last time a bus was used for emergency transportation in this community?(A: never)

Maybe the next step is to put a couple of vehicles on blocks outside the maintenance office and do oil changes during lunch breaks to supplement the weak income stream, or rent outdoor storage next to the bus in the new hospital junkyard. Better yet: put curtains on the bus windows and let traveling staff stay in bunk beds aboard the yellow bunkhouse- which will be about 600 thousand dollars less expensive than the latest hospital home purchase?

Sheesh. This is one in a series of poor decisions.
Chip M

Denver, CO

#2 Feb 7, 2013
I hear the plan is to buy the houses next door and expand the parking lot North. Glad I don't live there!
Sort of the

Estes Park, CO

#3 Feb 7, 2013
Concerned Supporter wrote:
I am usually on board with forward thinking and innovation, but are you KIDDING ME?
An old school bus has been stuffed into the adjacent neighborhood - in the backyard of a house that the hospital purchased a few years ago. It is being hailed as an adjunct to life saving treatment? A polite 'No Thank you' would have been a better choice for the Hospital: by the time this bus is used for a big accident, the tires will be cracked, the fuel gelled, and the electrical wiring shredded by rodents (they spell that risk "LIABILITY"). How about keeping a list of phone numbers for school bus operators with safe, well maintained buses in case of an emergency?
Case in point: Name the date of the last time a bus was used for emergency transportation in this community?(A: never)
Maybe the next step is to put a couple of vehicles on blocks outside the maintenance office and do oil changes during lunch breaks to supplement the weak income stream, or rent outdoor storage next to the bus in the new hospital junkyard. Better yet: put curtains on the bus windows and let traveling staff stay in bunk beds aboard the yellow bunkhouse- which will be about 600 thousand dollars less expensive than the latest hospital home purchase?
the same thing has been done with the old elementary school but that is still the superintendents bug-a-boo so he didn't want to make another mistake. Unloading a school bus as a donation doesn't make fiscal sense or sense at all. The school district is always asking for bond, mill levy's and mill levy over-rides yet they don't try and sell a surplus bus? And why is there a surplus bus? Because enrollment in the school district is way down...why isn't that being addressed? Something stinks with this whole deal and to spin it a a good thing for EPMC and furture collaboration is not true. What does EPMC have that the school district needs and vice versa. Stay tuned because this is only the beginning of something unsavory...a way to get extra funds since this community will not support another tax especially when stupid decisions like this are made.
However

Estes Park, CO

#4 Feb 7, 2013
Concerned Supporter wrote:
Juley Harvey wrote the article so many detail were probably left out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glen Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marijuana fest meant to educate, enlighten (May '10) Sat bud 4
Debate: War on Christmas - Loveland, CO (Sep '12) Dec 11 boldaq 2
Review: Western Wear Gallardo Dec 4 MichelleG20 1
November is national home care and hospice month Nov '14 Calvin James 1
Man rescued from Colorado department store's walls Nov '14 DILF 7
Inventing Estes Park (Jan '14) Jan '14 Barb Boyer Buck 1
A thank you from Glen Haven (Nov '13) Nov '13 Leeanne 2

High Wind Watch for Larimer County was issued at December 22 at 6:01AM MST

Glen Haven Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Glen Haven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Glen Haven News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Glen Haven

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:39 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:39PM
Highlights, Recap for Chiefs vs. Steelers
Bleacher Report 6:00 PM
Colts Have Puncher's Chance in Playoffs Despite Flaws
Bleacher Report 7:49 PM
How Far Can Steelers' Big Three Carry Them?
NBC Sports12:17 AM
Broncos visit Bengals as favorites in key playoff tilt - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Monday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Broncos vs. Bengals