The other side of the coin

I take exception to the notion that the Town of Estes Park hasn't fostered economic development in the last 35 years as purported publically three times in the last three months: once in January from the Estes Valley Economic Development Task Force; a second time in February from Downtown Colorado, Inc. Full Story

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Mar 10, 2013
I've washed the windows, adjusted the rear view mirror, polished the bumpers, gave it a wax job, raised the visor, put on new seat covers and built a new car port....I don't understand why people say I haven't done anything to make this car go faster?!?
What crap

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Mar 10, 2013
E-Rock is right on:

----He voted to park right wherever he damm well pleases.

----What is an Ed-D, is it some type of swirling pool?
Tom Hannah

Denver, CO

#3 Mar 11, 2013
I have been here 30 years and agree with mayor pro tem blackhurst.

Estes has the good fortune of playing the middle road. That is, not overeaching in ambition like the vails and aspens.Our low property taxes reflect our modesty in expansion.And we've weathered recessions better than most alpine towns.

As trustee blackhurst pointed out; we do enjoy a reasonable infrastructure. And to take outside consulting advice without the proverbial "grain of salt" in lieu of our community's past may be imprudent.

I believe the trustee's treatise to be a sound one, and valid opinion to consider.
Tom Hannah

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Mar 11, 2013
Your points are consistent and valid.

When did you move to Denver?
tstreet

Bellville, TX

#5 Mar 11, 2013
Actually, I do agree with Mr. Blackhurst. And I think it is telling that the things that make Estes Park beautiful are the same things that make it a town worth visiting.

I just wish there were a way to bring EP to a new level by making the auto way less dominant and possibly nonexistent down Elkhorn. I know it has been said that the city's hands or tied because it is a U.S. highway but that doesn't mean the appropriate authorities, includes congressional reps couldn't be lobbied to change the nature of the road. Right now, it is primarily just a horribly polluting, noisy, and ugly annoyance. I think that doing that would attract even more visitors with a less auto centric perspective.

But back to economic development. I think the various people studying this are trying to figure out a more lucrative kind of ED which would make it possible for year round younger residents to make a living other than generally low paid service jobs.

On the other hand, those who choose to live here year round and do not own a lucrative business probably know what they are getting into and choose to have a lower standard of living in order to live in the mountains. That is the way it has been since this whole area was developed, including outliers like Allenspark and Ward.

Further, another question is whether people want the population to grow more on a year round basis. Many of us did not move to the mountains so we could witness unrestrained growth. The relative peace and quiet in the non summer months is a welcome respite for many of us.
Tom Hannah

Denver, CO

#6 Mar 11, 2013
Good points tstreet.
A walk on mall similiar to pearl street would be of an interesting nature. And lobbying congress would be a worthy exercise.I wonder if we could start with bennet and get directions from there?
Town wants to expand services for family's here and visiting; listen to tuesday's town hall for input on Multi Purpose Event Center (MPEC).
Town hall live streams meeting over web. Comes in pretty good and beats the cloistered atmosphere of town hall.
And the person who so aptly disply's sophism when using my name; I see you are of your usual good humor.
Tom Hannah, Estes Park
Mountain Squanderer

United States

#7 Mar 12, 2013
Hi - I just spent a lot of money crafting a metaphor that no one paid any attention to.

What gives?
Hannah Mot

Estes Park, CO

#8 Mar 12, 2013
Well howdy folks......My name is Tom Hannah, and I am backwards.....For example, I live in Denver, but say I live in Estes Park.....I use the word sophism interchangeably with the word sophomore.....I am dirt poor but no longer on welfare.....Thank you for your time.....Do you want to try some of this tasty dirt????????

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#9 Mar 12, 2013
Sophism=
a fallacious argument, especially one used deliberately to deceive.

Ill let your mother know its time to change your drool cup!

LOL!
Sophia

Estes Park, CO

#10 Mar 12, 2013
Thank you for displaying your googleability.

Your next word is "marinol"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glen Haven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
November is national home care and hospice month Nov 14 Calvin James 1
Man rescued from Colorado department store's walls Nov 13 DILF 7
Inventing Estes Park (Jan '14) Jan '14 Barb Boyer Buck 1
A thank you from Glen Haven (Nov '13) Nov '13 Leeanne 2
The spirit of the mountains (Nov '13) Nov '13 Nice to see 1
Flood recovery efforts on schedule to meet goal (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jill 1
Glen Haven residents still assessing loss (Oct '13) Oct '13 No way 4

High Wind Watch for Larimer County was issued at November 28 at 2:26PM MST

Glen Haven Dating
Find my Match