A Glen Allen couple alleging police b...

A Glen Allen couple alleging police brutality in their home goes before a judge. - wtvr

There are 47 comments on the WTVR story from Dec 9, 2009, titled A Glen Allen couple alleging police brutality in their home goes before a judge. - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

A Glen Allen is appealing a judges' ruling convicting him on Improper driving and Obstruction of Justice charges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

Citizen

Midlothian, VA

#21 Dec 10, 2009
Im not an Officer. All he had to do according to the judge was sign the piece of paper and the officers would have never stepped foot in his house. The judge said the officers asked him to step outside a few times to avoid this taking place in front of his kids. Why were his kids in court and not in school anyway? I never would have brought my kids in front of those officers again had this taken place in front of my kids. Their was justice, the charges were reduced to the proper level. My ticket was not reduced...please comment on that.
ken

United States

#22 Dec 10, 2009
Why is it that SOME black people always try to be the victim. All this man had to do was sign the paper which he is REQUIRED to do. HE is the one to blame here he made the officers take it to another level. But here we go again blaming the police and not him. You know I wonder why also when a black police officer is blamed for brutality you never hear any of the blacks complaining about that, its always when a white officer is involved. People need to wake up if we did not have the police what would we do would YOU go face to face with someone who has a gun or just committed a robbery NO you would not so stop bad mouthing the police and let them do their job. We all know there are bad seeds in every apple and they get weeded out but most cops are good people. SO WAKE UP AND STOP DEFENDING THE PEOPLE THAT MIGHT ROB OR CAUSE HARM TO YOU
Satisfied Citizen

Darby, PA

#23 Dec 11, 2009
The law in Virginia says that you must sign a summons or releasable warrant as a promise to appear. In this case, it would appear that the officer was serving him with a releasable warrant, which means that the officer has the discretion to either arrest the person, or simply have them sign the warrant, promising to appear. The officer was giving the man the option of signing the warrant, promising to appear in court, and when the man refused, the officer had no choice but to take him into custody. By signing, all he would be doing is giving his signature, promising to appear before the judge. Since he wouldn't do that, the only way to assure his appearance was to take him before a magistrate and have a bond set, which is again, assuring a court appearance for the charge. i have a feeling that all the folks in this forum crying "racism" all know what a bond is, as they have probably had to post one at some point in their life, but other than that are obviously ignorant of the law in this state.

This guy just went about it the wrong way, and the officers did what Virginia law required them to do. He made the situation into what it was. The tape shows who was is the wrong, and it wasn't the police this time. This man, like so many criminals, had no respect for the law, and couldn't accept responsibility for what HE DID. If he had simply signed the warrant, the officers would have left, and this wouldn't have happened.

His wife, like any good spouse, sided with her husband, and probably stepped in to interfere with the officers taking her husband into custody...don't necessarily fault her instinct, but she was wrong to interfere, and the officers had a right to prevent her interference with a lawful arrest.

This whole case has nothing to do with race, but simply ignorance on the part of the guy arrested, and the ignorance of the people in this forum who want to cry racism for situations like this. If you don't do illegal things that draw the attention of the police, then the police won't "harass" you, no matter what color you are, it's as simple as that. And when you do something illegal, and the police catch you, just do the responsible, CIVILIZED, adult thing, and accept responsibility for your actions and learn from your mistake(s).
Kbob

Newport News, VA

#24 Dec 11, 2009
I guess he should have thought about the effects on his family BEFORE he ran his mouth to the cops in the first place. He should have signed the freaking warrant and had his day in court. HE is the one who chose to make it a circus, and involve his family. HE is the one who broke the law to begin with. HE is the one who ran crying to the NAACP when he realized he was in trouble! All this talk about the "injustice" of it all, and "abuse of power" is such BS!! I'm surprised there are any cops left who are willing to protect the citizens of this country. They are treated so well when just doing there jobs.......
People like this fool, AND the fools who defend him (NAACP) make African Americans look like total idiots.
OMG

Richmond, VA

#25 Dec 11, 2009
Satisfied Citizen wrote:
The law in Virginia says that you must sign a summons or releasable warrant as a promise to appear. In this case, it would appear that the officer was serving him with a releasable warrant, which means that the officer has the discretion to either arrest the person, or simply have them sign the warrant, promising to appear. The officer was giving the man the option of signing the warrant, promising to appear in court, and when the man refused, the officer had no choice but to take him into custody. By signing, all he would be doing is giving his signature, promising to appear before the judge. Since he wouldn't do that, the only way to assure his appearance was to take him before a magistrate and have a bond set, which is again, assuring a court appearance for the charge. i have a feeling that all the folks in this forum crying "racism" all know what a bond is, as they have probably had to post one at some point in their life, but other than that are obviously ignorant of the law in this state.
This guy just went about it the wrong way, and the officers did what Virginia law required them to do. He made the situation into what it was. The tape shows who was is the wrong, and it wasn't the police this time. This man, like so many criminals, had no respect for the law, and couldn't accept responsibility for what HE DID. If he had simply signed the warrant, the officers would have left, and this wouldn't have happened.
His wife, like any good spouse, sided with her husband, and probably stepped in to interfere with the officers taking her husband into custody...don't necessarily fault her instinct, but she was wrong to interfere, and the officers had a right to prevent her interference with a lawful arrest.
This whole case has nothing to do with race, but simply ignorance on the part of the guy arrested, and the ignorance of the people in this forum who want to cry racism for situations like this. If you don't do illegal things that draw the attention of the police, then the police won't "harass" you, no matter what color you are, it's as simple as that. And when you do something illegal, and the police catch you, just do the responsible, CIVILIZED, adult thing, and accept responsibility for your actions and learn from your mistake(s).
Maybe he should have signed the warrant, maybe his wife interfered. Too many maybe's. So what your saying is it's ok to beat on a woman? She wasn't charged for anything, so maybe they wanted to demean this man. Is it ok to taze someone over and over for refusing to sign a warrant, for a misdemeanor? You people are masochistic racist pigs. So now everyone is the expert. Everyone heard the tampered tapes. Simply Amazing. Now when did they ever say this man was a criminal? Moving violations in his past make him a criminal? I bet we all have things in our past, maybe present far worse than moving violations. My point is you don't sign you get arrested, there should be no tazing that's a bit excessive. The man was charged with improper driving and obstruction of justice. RIF people (Reading is Fundamental)
Michelle

Richmond, VA

#26 Dec 11, 2009
Kbob wrote:
I guess he should have thought about the effects on his family BEFORE he ran his mouth to the cops in the first place. He should have signed the freaking warrant and had his day in court. HE is the one who chose to make it a circus, and involve his family. HE is the one who broke the law to begin with. HE is the one who ran crying to the NAACP when he realized he was in trouble! All this talk about the "injustice" of it all, and "abuse of power" is such BS!! I'm surprised there are any cops left who are willing to protect the citizens of this country. They are treated so well when just doing there jobs.......
People like this fool, AND the fools who defend him (NAACP) make African Americans look like total idiots.
It would be nice if the police would go after the real criminals, and stop wasting my tax dollars delivering warrants. Maybe if they delivered my mail i'd receive it on time. It took 4 officers to deliver a warrant, does that make sense? Well how many officers does it take to screw in a lightbulb. Boy they must be picking from the bottom of the barrel, for new cops. I was at WAWA's last night and their had to be 10-15 cops hanging around eating donuts. I snapped a picture and am e-mailing it to everyone as a joke. Oh yeah they are protecting me, at the same time my sisters car was broken into at Walmart's, and the cops did not show up, they told her to call the insurance company. Oh yeah I feel safe, maybe I should have had my sister drive to Wawa's to find a cop. SPARE ME PEOPLE!! I pray to GOD these people get JUSTICE!!
LOL

Richmond, VA

#27 Dec 11, 2009
LOL @ Michelle, you made me laugh so hard I cried. We must have been at the same WAWA's cause I saw the same thing! Too funny
Mia

Richmond, VA

#28 Dec 11, 2009
Court witness wrote:
Both of his charges were reduce to lesser charges meaning the DA did not see those charges as valid and could not prosecute him on these charges accused by the officer, the tape was not inter duce in the discovery .... and surprisingly the tape gets cut off at the point of the tazing and struggle in side the home. neither officer is admitting to tazing or assault of his wife stating that they did not do it ... His attorney was threaten with attempt of court by the judge for his questioning of the officer's ... while the DA was free to extract her full will inside the court room ...everyone inside the courtroom ...well everyone who was left because the judge or court jester decided to clear the courtroom...you could see and hear that these officers were well REHEARSED in what to say....and his attorney was not allowed to ask the questions that needed to be answered. it was a joke....and the only one's laughing were the DA , Officers . and the Judge.
"Attempt" of court?? You mean CONtempt?? sheesh
Above the Law

Richmond, VA

#29 Dec 11, 2009
GOD Forbid the guy had a DUI the cops may have shot him and his family!!
John

Richmond, VA

#30 Dec 11, 2009
I have lost all respect for cops like these rogue cops. They lie the judges lie, they are all in cahoots. What makes me really sad, is how they swear to to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and they don't. Look at how Bush stole 2 elections, I guess that's OK too!! Please don't get me started.
Michelle

Richmond, VA

#31 Dec 11, 2009
Above the Law wrote:
GOD Forbid the guy had a DUI the cops may have shot him and his family!!
I hope the good cops left, stay clear of these 4 clowns, these poor excuses for men!! They were probably picked on as little boys, and now have to release their anger. CLOWNS!!
Sami

Richmond, VA

#32 Dec 11, 2009
Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
"Attempt" of court?? You mean CONtempt?? sheesh
What are you the official spell checker? There are alot of typos on these posts. He He
Sami

Richmond, VA

#33 Dec 11, 2009
You know who is really protecting us, those soldiers overseas. THOSE ARE THE REAL HERO'S. They make me feel proud to be an American! Everyone that wears a uniform, doesn't deserve respect! Respect is earned! I bet those cops wouldn't survive in Iraq or Afghanistan, bunch of PUNKS!
Sami

Richmond, VA

#34 Dec 11, 2009
Citizen wrote:
Im not an Officer. All he had to do according to the judge was sign the piece of paper and the officers would have never stepped foot in his house. The judge said the officers asked him to step outside a few times to avoid this taking place in front of his kids. Why were his kids in court and not in school anyway? I never would have brought my kids in front of those officers again had this taken place in front of my kids. Their was justice, the charges were reduced to the proper level. My ticket was not reduced...please comment on that.
The Judge said! Were you at the home? Too bad we can't elect judges in VA. Maybe they wanted their kids to see how justice is served. What they should expect as non white citizens in the US. Do you think anyone really cared how this effected the children? Including YOU! The cops obviously didn't! You were guilty! the judge only reduced the charges, for fear of a lawsuit. If he had any sense he would have dismissed them. My co-worker knows that judge and his family, and he is very interesting to say the least.
Charles

Richmond, VA

#35 Dec 11, 2009
Sandi wrote:
Wow!! The racism in this city is so blatant!! What does the mans name have to do with anything? Can cops do whatever they want because they can, and get away with it!! It's because of cops behaving badly, that innocent cops get killed, and civilians are losing respect for them. Some of you choose to be ignorant, so be it! There is no law that indicates you have to sign anything presented to you by the police, they just as easily could have taped it to their door and left, or better yet mailed it. Honestly it is so clear that these cops wanted to degrade and belittle this man in front of his wife and children. GOD Help US ALL!!
I am so glad we have this legal expert on here. Per state code there are some things you must sign. A traffic ticket is one of them. It is your promise to appear in court. If you refuse to sign you just earned yourself a free ride to jail to meet the magistrate. In this video clip what he was presented was a magestrates summons. Same thing applies. If you refuse to have it served on you you get to visit the magestrate and they will inform you of your court date. So mam you are misinformed.
Georgie Boy

Richmond, VA

#36 Dec 11, 2009
Satisfied Citizen wrote:
i have a feeling that all the folks in this forum crying "racism" all know what a bond is, as they have probably had to post one at some point in their life
this^^
guy

Richmond, VA

#37 Dec 11, 2009
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe he should have signed the warrant, maybe his wife interfered. Too many maybe's. So what your saying is it's ok to beat on a woman? She wasn't charged for anything, so maybe they wanted to demean this man. Is it ok to taze someone over and over for refusing to sign a warrant, for a misdemeanor? You people are masochistic racist pigs. So now everyone is the expert. Everyone heard the tampered tapes. Simply Amazing. Now when did they ever say this man was a criminal? Moving violations in his past make him a criminal? I bet we all have things in our past, maybe present far worse than moving violations. My point is you don't sign you get arrested, there should be no tazing that's a bit excessive. The man was charged with improper driving and obstruction of justice. RIF people (Reading is Fundamental)
There is no "maybe" when it comes to signing a summons, unless you want to be arrested and taken before the magistrate which is what happened to this guy. Apparently he thought he could just say no (mistake #1), decided to resist arrest (mistake #2), and now he's appealing which may end up with a harsher sentence (hopefully mistake #3).
OMG

Richmond, VA

#38 Dec 12, 2009
guy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no "maybe" when it comes to signing a summons, unless you want to be arrested and taken before the magistrate which is what happened to this guy. Apparently he thought he could just say no (mistake #1), decided to resist arrest (mistake #2), and now he's appealing which may end up with a harsher sentence (hopefully mistake #3).
Come on let's be real, so then take him to jail!! What was all the excessive force about? Your just as backwards as the cops. This case is all about the excessive force used to get him to jail. Someone with common sense can understand that. You probably believe in beating children if they don't eat their peas, and by the way lets beat on the little lady if your dinner is late! Oh and all cops are honest too!! Maybe they need to perform more extensive psychological screening of our police! I listen to the news every day, and every day cops are making stupid mistakes we end up paying for! GIVE ME A BREAK!!
STACEY

Richmond, VA

#39 Dec 12, 2009
I'm so sick of the police, I'd be better off protecting myself!
STACEY

Richmond, VA

#40 Dec 12, 2009
Charles wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so glad we have this legal expert on here. Per state code there are some things you must sign. A traffic ticket is one of them. It is your promise to appear in court. If you refuse to sign you just earned yourself a free ride to jail to meet the magistrate. In this video clip what he was presented was a magestrates summons. Same thing applies. If you refuse to have it served on you you get to visit the magestrate and they will inform you of your court date. So mam you are misinformed.
So what was the tazing for? To help him hold the pen to sign the summons? And let me guess they were trying to get his wife to sign it as well?? Did they interview the children, who witnessed the entire ordeal? I doubt it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glen Allen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sb i 95 Sep '17 trap 1
Prison Officers Alone Sep '17 Prison Officers A... 1
Good Contractors In Short Pump Aug '17 michael_bergero 1
Grant League (Feb '13) Aug '17 callout 5
For sale today only!! Vanilla Lean Builder Rock... Aug '17 Dra Polo 2
Glen Allen Music Thread (Nov '14) Jun '17 Musikologist 5
News Antiques Q & A (Feb '08) May '17 Lisa A 8

Glen Allen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glen Allen Mortgages