Borough Consolidation
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 9, 2010
I would like to bring up the subject of consolidation or merger, if you prefer. The state and county is really starting to push for small communities to look into consolidation of services in an effort to save money. They are starting, all though slowly, to roll out some programs that would give assistance and even grants to communities looking to consolidate.

In my opinion Glassport and some of the surrounding communities are perfect for consolidation of services. I personally would like to see the merger of governments in to a possible SA borough of sorts, but this is tough sell to many. An easier sell would be the consolidations of services like police and street departments.

Now before anyone gets up in arms, I am not talking about taking away the whole police force, in fact not much of the force would change. We are talking about consolidation of the administrative side of the police force, which is duplicated in every surrounding community. Let's look at the communities of SA school district. You have a police chief and assistants or lieutenants in each community that manage ten officers giver or take. If we had one police force for all of SA with one chief and maybe two lieutenants, you create a savings that can either be giving back to the community or used to better the police force though more officers or equipment.

This is not an easy task, because you have to get the communities to work together, and the Mayors of each community will lose some control over the police and have to share control with the other mayors. Contracts would have to be worked out and made sure a fair balance is stuck for all communities involved. With that said, it really is not that difficult of a task if people work together and solve the issues. We already have mutual aid agreements with the other communities that will come to the aid of our police force.

The same thing can be done with the streets department and even sewage department. Right now we have to own and maintain trucks and equipment that are duplicated in the other communities. Think if we could then eliminate that need of duplication, then the savings could purchase better trucks that would be able to plow the snow in the winter more effectively, instead of just having a pickup truck. Every community probably has a backhoe, there could be just one that goes where needed. Plus you have the management of these departments that can be cut down, just like the consolidation of the police force management.

With the Sate and County pushing consolidation, we should look into jumping on this opportunity now, before it is taken away. We don't want to be ten years down the road when the grants and aid for consolidation fade away and find we miss out.
Petunia

Mckeesport, PA

#2 Jun 9, 2010
Guess what? I agree 100% with you on this one.

How's that for a surprise?

Location hidden

#3 Jun 9, 2010
Petunia wrote:
Guess what? I agree 100% with you on this one.
How's that for a surprise?
I fell off my chair.
non sense

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Jun 9, 2010
Great idea but do the surrounding boros have the same costs. I mean like glassport has pump stations to pump shit up hills then down to the sewer station, but does liberty and lincoln and port vue, have high maintenance like this.Im not saying the same stuff but anything that the other cities dont have. I think no matter how you present this to any of these boros they wont want to take on each others crap. NO matter what the circumstances are. The right way to approach this would to be gather up all equipment sell them not auction them and buy everything new start from day one. Who would we pay taxes to tho? My thing is people from port vue arent going to want to see liberty boro residents getting updated roads and sewer systems if they arent getting it too,catch the drift? I would be all for it if it werent for the people who cant see eye to eye here, Everything could work out great if people could agree and let things happen
No Shame

Mckeesport, PA

#5 Jun 10, 2010
Glassportman I have seen this consolidation before where I used to live. Some parts are good and some aren't. The consolidating of street services and police put an additional burden on the finances of the individual boroughs which they feel is unfair.

Here's an anecdote:

Lets say for the sake of argument that Port Vue has 150 police calls per month, Glassport has 350, and Clairton has 500. The problem shows pretty quickly when all the money is in one big pot.

The boroughs and people don't like the idea that most of their share of money is going to cover police calls in Clairton and/or Glassport per se. To top it off the response time for a police has doubled or tripled from when they had their own police force.

OK, here's what happened, the boroughs got in a big fight with each other everyone split up and went their own way. But the consolidated deficit accrued couldn't be split up again. BIG PROBLEM!!

Bottom line, all boroughs ended up with a HUGE DEFICIT as their part of the pie, the loans go into default and the county moves in and takes over cops, streets, EVERYTHING. Now Glassport, Port Vue and Clairton are just areas with a name we have lost our identity and the county decides everything for us. Even the snow plowing.

Food for thought!!

Location hidden

#6 Jun 10, 2010
That is why I said, look at the consolidating duplicate services not the whole thing.

For instance the idea of doubling response times, well that would not happen, because the police station would stay right where it is, as well as the stations in the other districts. The number of officers in each community would also be able to stay the same, because you are eliminating the duplication of management and administration, not officers.

You have to think of this like the city of Pittsburgh, which is broken up into many different neighbor hoods, but are all under one police force. I am sure the Hill
District has a larger number of calls per month then say Shadyside. You have to look at the history of calls and every year evaluate then so that the recourses are distributed fair.

With the sewage plant, the consolidation brings the plant into a corporation status, most likely, where the communities are charged for the services provided. If one community has more then another, then that community is charged more. Remember, I am talking more about consolidation of administrative services and management. Also with the combined communities, purchasing power for the various chemicals and items needed might grow and better discounts from bulk buys might result.

Funny thing about the pump stations, is that they where put in to make money. Without the pump stations the services would have been turned over to other communities, I know McKeesport was one of them, which would have received the service fees year in and year out. The borough studies the issue and realized that the investment of a pump stations pays for itself and more from keeping everyone on the service and collecting service fees.

I agree stupid fighting from small and powerless politicians can cause a lot of trouble and problems. That is why I really think the need is to consolidate governments into something like a SA borough. The county and city of Pittsburgh are trying to do just that, and Philadelphia is structured that way.
We have to ask ourselves, why does all the new development in the Mon Valley happen in places like McKeesport. Well part of the problem is that Glassport is just not big enough; we have close to three thousand residents with maybe five hundred VOTERS. We are not worth the effort when you have the larger populations like McKeesport.

There is not going to be some large company that is going to come in and take over the old factories and build a huge new factory to save the town. There is no grant in the world big enough to save this town, and although electing the right people helps, no new mayor or council has the power to save this town without the support and help of the people and some tough and unorthodox decisions down the road.
madmac

Oakmont, PA

#7 Jun 11, 2010
Glassportman wrote:
That is why I said, look at the consolidating duplicate services not the whole thing.
For instance the idea of doubling response times, well that would not happen, because the police station would stay right where it is, as well as the stations in the other districts. The number of officers in each community would also be able to stay the same, because you are eliminating the duplication of management and administration, not officers.
You have to think of this like the city of Pittsburgh, which is broken up into many different neighbor hoods, but are all under one police force. I am sure the Hill
District has a larger number of calls per month then say Shadyside. You have to look at the history of calls and every year evaluate then so that the recourses are distributed fair.
With the sewage plant, the consolidation brings the plant into a corporation status, most likely, where the communities are charged for the services provided. If one community has more then another, then that community is charged more. Remember, I am talking more about consolidation of administrative services and management. Also with the combined communities, purchasing power for the various chemicals and items needed might grow and better discounts from bulk buys might result.
Funny thing about the pump stations, is that they where put in to make money. Without the pump stations the services would have been turned over to other communities, I know McKeesport was one of them, which would have received the service fees year in and year out. The borough studies the issue and realized that the investment of a pump stations pays for itself and more from keeping everyone on the service and collecting service fees.
I agree stupid fighting from small and powerless politicians can cause a lot of trouble and problems. That is why I really think the need is to consolidate governments into something like a SA borough. The county and city of Pittsburgh are trying to do just that, and Philadelphia is structured that way.
We have to ask ourselves, why does all the new development in the Mon Valley happen in places like McKeesport. Well part of the problem is that Glassport is just not big enough; we have close to three thousand residents with maybe five hundred VOTERS. We are not worth the effort when you have the larger populations like McKeesport.
There is not going to be some large company that is going to come in and take over the old factories and build a huge new factory to save the town. There is no grant in the world big enough to save this town, and although electing the right people helps, no new mayor or council has the power to save this town without the support and help of the people and some tough and unorthodox decisions down the road.
Sorry I have to comment on your comment on the Hill District. I teach in the Hill District and one of the students went to a friends house after school without his mother's permission. I walked every street in the Hill District (very tired legs afterward) and every citizen was very nice to me especially being a white person. And offered their help. There are alot more calls in Homewood, Lincoln/Lemington, and other areas of the Pittsburgh area. I love those children of the Hill District and I would not trade them for anything. They are respectful and they are trying their hardest to learn and are suceeding. Mark Roosevelt is messing that community up by shutting that school. those children had a great chance of succeeding in the future and now he made the margin even narrower.

Since: May 10

Mckeesport, PA

#8 Jun 13, 2010
I fell that services should be consolidated on a county wide basis like many other major metropolitan areas around the country

Location hidden

#9 Jun 13, 2010
KNOW 1 CARES wrote:
I fell that services should be consolidated on a county wide basis like many other major metropolitan areas around the country
I am mixed on this. I lived for a time in a state that did just that and though it was a great idea.

The one problem I see is with the fire departments. Right now we rely on volunteer departments for most of the communities in the state, that if we went to a county department, it would be a paid force. The cost would be huge and taxes would have to be raised.

The second thought is the loss of local voice. Although not many go to council meeting, the ones that do have a voice and can talked to the council member enough it might be on a deft ear. With county wide you would need to go to Pittsburgh for a meeting. With that side, instead of yahoo's who are elected by popularity and name alone, a country wide system would at lest inject some issues and policy debate into the election.

Like anything it has benefits and draw backs, I just don't know where I stand on it anymore.
for real

Mckeesport, PA

#10 Jul 15, 2010
Consolidating the four boros of South Allegheny makes sense. Look at the size of most of the townships North of Pittsburgh, or even Elizabeth Township and Forward Township and then look at the tiny size of most of our Mon Valley boros.

The difference between doing this and merging the whole county is that our boros are all in fair shape financially, unlike the City of Pittsburgh and a few other money pits around here that everyone else would suddenly be responsible for.
ouch

Elizabeth, PA

#11 Nov 30, 2010
Consolidatin is the future. Understand, if you want to progress forward this is your answer. The grant funding that was the past from the higher government is gone. They are now offering money for consolidated or shared services.
Liberty Borough 1

Dallas, TX

#12 Dec 1, 2010
How could this happen? Wouldn't this result in job cuts? Personally, with out job cuts, it sounds great. However, if we start losing any police or road crews, it would create a mess. Salting, patrolling, etc. We only have a few employees that work on the street and our sewage would need to go to Assport or McKeesport. And if Assport is included in the consolidation, would the sewage go to McKeesport? And I think we only have a few full time officers and 4 road crew members. We are so small that this sounds like it could help our little community.

Please sir, explain the pros vs cons here. It sounds great, but are you able to explain why this would be good for us? Our local officials have a hard enough time saying where our $$$ goes let alone trying to explain this.

Thank you. I'll be waiting to hear back from you.
joe

Greensburg, PA

#13 Dec 1, 2010
Can you imagine what a consolidation would mean?
The area is already a shithole. The police would be picked by Riley. You would have the biggest bunch of assholes you ever saw. Worse than now.
The street department would be run by ray johnson.
You can call me Ray, you can call me Jay, but you doesn't has to call me johnson. Oh by the way, all four towns are comprised of enough cons.

Location hidden

#14 Dec 1, 2010
Liberty Borough 1 wrote:
How could this happen? Wouldn't this result in job cuts? Personally, with out job cuts, it sounds great. However, if we start losing any police or road crews, it would create a mess. Salting, patrolling, etc. We only have a few employees that work on the street and our sewage would need to go to Assport or McKeesport. And if Assport is included in the consolidation, would the sewage go to McKeesport? And I think we only have a few full time officers and 4 road crew members. We are so small that this sounds like it could help our little community.
Please sir, explain the pros vs cons here. It sounds great, but are you able to explain why this would be good for us? Our local officials have a hard enough time saying where our $$$ goes let alone trying to explain this.
Thank you. I'll be waiting to hear back from you.
I think in my original post, I lay out my case enough for you to get the idea.

I also think that you are my buddy Hahahaha/Mike DeSue since once again the strange grayed out "United States" is present. Trying yet again, another fake name?

Location hidden

#15 Dec 1, 2010
joe wrote:
Can you imagine what a consolidation would mean?
The area is already a shithole. The police would be picked by Riley. You would have the biggest bunch of assholes you ever saw. Worse than now.
The street department would be run by ray johnson.
You can call me Ray, you can call me Jay, but you doesn't has to call me johnson. Oh by the way, all four towns are comprised of enough cons.
I really do not know what your post means or you are tyring to get at.

All I know is what the road with out consolidation would be like and it is not good.

Since: May 10

Mckeesport, PA

#17 Dec 2, 2010
Glassportman wrote:
<quoted text>
I really do not know what your post means or you are tyring to get at.
All I know is what the road with out consolidation would be like and it is not good.
so just for the sake of conversation lets let all the communities mentioned continue to struggle. Consolidation will help to incorporate services and eliminate redundancy where as you may have 2 secretaries in each boro it may be possible to have 3 or 4 equipment costs may also save tax payers money the only down side I see in the immediately as a result is that all the political machines in the boros would have to start eating there own frankly I think that would only help the taxpayers
libertygal

Mckeesport, PA

#18 Dec 17, 2011
I agree who the hell wants ray johnson in charge of anything? Surely not me and most others either. Riley sits on his ass at his house all day and as for vince fitallio he does the same. I think we need some of those Port Vue police like Dave Putruski and the ones who get the job done. Thats why liberty is turning into what it is.We need better police.The taxes are so high here why dont they invest some of that money into something for the kids like a public pool or a skate park.Cause this boro is lame and sucks.
Glassport guy

Glassport, PA

#19 Dec 17, 2011
Ill trade you! Glassport for LB. lol. You got tards here too. Ugh.
Gringo

Mckeesport, PA

#20 Dec 17, 2011
Why don't we just trade you to Port Vue for a bag of used baseballs and a $1 Powerball ticket from the place that used to be Lil General. That way, we can rid G-port of 1 tard, get some practice balls for the GAA, and have a shot of making Glassport rich.
No Way

Elizabeth, PA

#21 Dec 18, 2011
Consolidation will never happen here. There is a lot of money being made by the people with the power.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glassport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
S A Sports 3 hr Mickey Morandini 101
Could this week get any better? 5 hr Ralphie 1
International Village Toe Sliced Roast Beef 11 hr The Touchables 6
How was everyone's weekend? 11 hr Hillary Justice 3
Open Letter to Council and Mayor Sun Hillary Justice 12
Money collectors standing in the streets Jul 21 yoda 8
detriot hollow Jul 20 meatloaf 10

Glassport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance