South Allegheny

Posted in the Glassport Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Reader 210

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 22, 2010
 
I enjoy reading the articles in the Daily News about the accomplishments and extra efforts of the South Allegheny students. However, upon reading the sports section today, I am puzzled to read the school hired a boys basketball coach to coach girls softball? What is that? That has to be a misprint. Am I correct? That doesn't make any sense.
Mike

Belle Vernon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 26, 2010
 
Why don't you South Allegheny voters get rid of the trash you have for school directors.
Vote people in who actually care about the kids and someone who knows alot about coaching. Not someone who only wants to make money for their selves. Get the disgusting politics out of sports and you will see winning teams with alot of pride.
SA last did good in football in 1993. Yeah, a long time ago!
glassport resident

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 26, 2010
 
I am a grandmother of a recently garduated softball fast pitch player. I am in agreement some of these coaches are not worth a penny. The sports at SA do not count unless you belong to the band. Wrestlers in tournaments have to find their own way to these events. Family of the new hockey team are spending a small fortune but parents have to find their kids a ride to the games. I could go on and on but someone needs to straighten out this current school board and do whats right by all of our children.
Mike wrote:
Why don't you South Allegheny voters get rid of the trash you have for school directors.
Vote people in who actually care about the kids and someone who knows alot about coaching. Not someone who only wants to make money for their selves. Get the disgusting politics out of sports and you will see winning teams with alot of pride.
SA last did good in football in 1993. Yeah, a long time ago!

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 28, 2010
 
Are you all ready to pay more taxes? Now I can not speak to the hiring of a basket ball coach for softball, which seems stupid, but every thing else costs money.

Let's remember that the first job of the district is to educate and everything else is secondary. SA is not doing a good job with the education aspect in my opinion, so spending money on sports should be the last thing since they do not have enough money for the students to take home books. Try and do your home work or learn when you don't even have your text book for a reference.

Just like small town politics hurt communities like Glassport, the same issue hurts the School Board. It is nothing more then a popularity contest.
Just the Facts

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 29, 2010
 
Which class or classes dont have textbooks?

My children go there and have never had a problem of not having a textbook. My oldest child had a reading class one year where the books stayed in the classroom. They would read in class and be given assignments to do in the classroom, but not for homework.

Once again, which class or classes do not have textbooks? I would like to know and I will personally call the school and bitch on behalf of the students who do not have textbooks, IF this STORY is TRUE. Please tell me.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 29, 2010
 
I will clear up, as you said they have textbooks in the class room. Students are not assigned books to take home. That is the problem. We have a family member in High School, who is an above average student but struggles with math, but they don't have a text book to take home and study from. That is just stupid, because how are parents suppose to help out when they can not refer to the book for homework. Plus, believe or or not, but some students like to study ahead of the lesson plans by reading ahead in the books, but with out being able to take a text book home to do that or to help struggling students solve problems, you are not fostering a good education experience.

Considering how low our property taxes are, I would not have a problem with the school board raising them to purchase books for all students.
Just the Facts

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 29, 2010
 
"I will clear up, as you said they have textbooks in the class room. Students are not assigned books to take home."

Lets really clear it up. I said a reading class and that was a few years back. What math class are you talking about? No more generalizations, just the facts. What class is it?

The statement "Students are not assigned books to take home." as you say it is not true. My kids bring home books ALL the time.

What class is it?? I want to know.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 29, 2010
 
HS Math it was Algebra, Calc, and so on.
madmac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 30, 2010
 
Well first of all if the chold was in Calc in high school he must be pretty intelligent. Second, if the parent asked the teacher an arrangement would have been made (copying the work, allowing him to send a book home, and so forth). Third if that did not work then speak to administration. But with my experience I am sure the teacher would have done anything to accomadate the parent. I am tired of people putting blame on everyone else and not taking responsilbility for their own failures and bad decisions. It is always someone elses fault. My kid is failing because their are no textbooks to take home. This school is a piece of crap. What about calling the teacher, principal, tutor, or better yet there is store in Monroeville called Holcombs that allows anyone to purchase workbooks to help them out in any subject. Instead of putting the blame on someone else step up and try EVERYTHING to hel your child.
madmac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 30, 2010
 
Sorry for the spelling errors I was typing too fast and did not proofread.
Embryo

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 30, 2010
 
Madmac, you are so right. Everybody who fails, or isn't doing good, blames it on the school. When the blame should go right at home.

How can so many kids do well in school and succeed if there weren't books and the teachers didn't care? People like Glassportman, who isn't an educator, and a few others, think they know better than people who are trained in the field of educating kids. Those kind of people make excuses for failure instead of looking at the real reasons for failure which all start at home. The teachers, the school, the administration will work with you and your child if their is a problem. But you need to be on top of your childs work and grades from the first day of the school year. Not 3-4 months after school starts and the kid is too far behind already. Its easy to blame the school or teacher then, because its hard to accept the fact you didn't do your job as a parent back when you should have!

Since: Jan 10

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 30, 2010
 
Glassportman wrote:
HS Math it was Algebra, Calc, and so on.
as a reply to this comment and those of madmac...

i am a student at SA first id like to say that along with the sport issue it is odd for there to be a boy's basketball couch assigned to the girl's softball team... whether its true or not im not sure...

about your discussion with the school books, i am a senior in the school and i have not once "not have a book for class" every class i ever took, i was assigned a book.
in some cases we have even had so many books in the class that each student had their own copy plus an extra copy (which the teacher suggested) to take home and keep for homework purposes. in the math classes i have always had a book of my own for my school work. there is maybe one class (which i take the normal course for), history, that we have two books of study in, and the books stay in the classroom, which the teacher in the class allows us to take out and borrow if we need to finish work (which is our responsibility) if we dont finish the work in class, which she gives plenty of time so there really isnt a legitimet reason not to finish in school.

so coming from a student point of view, i have never had an issue of not having a book that i needed for class, outside the classroom

Since: Jan 10

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 30, 2010
 
as a reply to the comments of glassportman and those of madmac...

i am a student at SA first id like to say that along with the sport issue it is odd for there to be a boy's basketball couch assigned to the girl's softball team... whether its true or not im not sure...

about your discussion with the school books, i am a senior in the school and i have not once "not have a book for class" every class i ever took, i was assigned a book.
in some cases we have even had so many books in the class that each student had their own copy plus an extra copy (which the teacher suggested) to take home and keep for homework purposes. in the math classes i have always had a book of my own for my school work. there is maybe one class (which i take the normal course for), history, that we have two books of study in, and the books stay in the classroom, which the teacher in the class allows us to take out and borrow if we need to finish work (which is our responsibility) if we dont finish the work in class, which she gives plenty of time so there really isnt a legitimet reason not to finish in school.

so coming from a student point of view, i have never had an issue of not having a book that i needed for class, outside the classroom

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 30, 2010
 
Wait, all of a sudden I am the bad guy. I never said anything about taking personal responsiblity and frankly I am offended by those comments. You know why, cause I am Dyslexic and struggled though out my education, but myself and my parents took the problem in our own hands and made sure I stayed on coarse and graduated college, so dont tell me about blaming others. There is no need for you to just start saying thing about me or my family, I was just saying what I knew and discussing the issue.

My argument was that when I was in school I had a text book assigned to me at the beginning of the year in each class and I took it home with me. There is a family member, not my child who is in HS and does not have text book to take home for math classes. I also have a problem with a teach allowing pleanty of time in class for assignments. Class time should be for the teacher to teach, not let the student do their homework, that is why it is called homework, and the teacher is paid to teach not monitor a study hall.

Since: Jan 10

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 30, 2010
 
Glassportman wrote:
Wait, all of a sudden I am the bad guy. I never said anything about taking personal responsiblity and frankly I am offended by those comments. You know why, cause I am Dyslexic and struggled though out my education, but myself and my parents took the problem in our own hands and made sure I stayed on coarse and graduated college, so dont tell me about blaming others. There is no need for you to just start saying thing about me or my family, I was just saying what I knew and discussing the issue.
My argument was that when I was in school I had a text book assigned to me at the beginning of the year in each class and I took it home with me. There is a family member, not my child who is in HS and does not have text book to take home for math classes. I also have a problem with a teach allowing pleanty of time in class for assignments. Class time should be for the teacher to teach, not let the student do their homework, that is why it is called homework, and the teacher is paid to teach not monitor a study hall.
alrighty then... i hope that whole family rant wasnt directed towards me, cause i never said anything about you as a person or your family...

and how a teacher teaches their lesson is their choice in my opinion. if they get the lesson out and they teach what they are required to teach, then there is nothing wrong with how they do it. you're right, they're getting paid to teach, but their pay is not based on how they do it. just as every student has their own way of learning, every teacher has their own way of teaching.
madmac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 31, 2010
 
What is the problem with a girls basketball coach coaching girls softball? In the late eighties and early ninties Mr. Padezan coached the South Allegheny Girls Softball Team Mary Will was the Assistant Coach for the Softball Team and Head Coach for the JV Team. In retro Mr. Padezan also coached the EA Wildcats Girls Basketball team and Mary Will coached the SA Girls Masketball Team. Maybe the coach knows something about softball and maybe he will do a good job. As I recall Mr. Padezan had completed the majority of his softball team and basketball team season with winning records.
Jimmy V

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 31, 2010
 
I dont think there is any problem with a person coaching several different sports as long as they are qualified and knowledgeable about the sport they are coaching. I believe the original poster of this topic was referring to the daily news article about the new softball coach and his experience coaching boys basketball. There was never any mention of anything about softball, which I too thought quite strange at the time.
Mrs T

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 31, 2010
 
it could be the writers from the Dailey News paper too. most of them are young and really not very good. if you read the paper regularly, well what is left of it nowadays, you will see what i mean.
glassport resident

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 31, 2010
 
AMEN, Not one of my grandchidren has ever had a problem with a book or homework. 4 out of 6 of them still attend SA. The one graduated last year and took Calc and had no problem with bringing home a book or doing their homework. And she graduated with HIGH Honors.

AS far as Coaching goes, these girls need a woman as coach. There are issues that are hard to talk to a man about. My grandaughter played for 4 years on the softball team. Girls swing different then guys, they stand different and when your coach walks up to you and moves your body to show a different stance to swing, they will be called into the office for inappropiate touching. You know there will one parent out there yelling about this. Good Luck on the new year for SA softball.
Mahora wrote:
as a reply to the comments of glassportman and those of madmac...
i am a student at SA first id like to say that along with the sport issue it is odd for there to be a boy's basketball couch assigned to the girl's softball team... whether its true or not im not sure...
about your discussion with the school books, i am a senior in the school and i have not once "not have a book for class" every class i ever took, i was assigned a book.
in some cases we have even had so many books in the class that each student had their own copy plus an extra copy (which the teacher suggested) to take home and keep for homework purposes. in the math classes i have always had a book of my own for my school work. there is maybe one class (which i take the normal course for), history, that we have two books of study in, and the books stay in the classroom, which the teacher in the class allows us to take out and borrow if we need to finish work (which is our responsibility) if we dont finish the work in class, which she gives plenty of time so there really isnt a legitimet reason not to finish in school.
so coming from a student point of view, i have never had an issue of not having a book that i needed for class, outside the classroom
Just the Facts

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 3, 2010
 
Glassportman wrote:
I will clear up, as you said they have textbooks in the class room. Students are not assigned books to take home. That is the problem. We have a family member in High School, who is an above average student but struggles with math, but they don't have a text book to take home and study from. That is just stupid, because how are parents suppose to help out when they can not refer to the book for homework. Plus, believe or or not, but some students like to study ahead of the lesson plans by reading ahead in the books, but with out being able to take a text book home to do that or to help struggling students solve problems, you are not fostering a good education experience.
Considering how low our property taxes are, I would not have a problem with the school board raising them to purchase books for all students.
Your post is nothing but a lie. I KNOW because I checked into it with a couple teachers at the high school. Either, the student is a liar, the parents are liars, or you are a liar. There are books, there are take home books, and anybody who wants to take a book home can do it. Before you post things that you know NOTHING about, do your own research and make a call or go up to the school. I KNEW when I read your post you did not know what you were talking about, thats why I wanted to know "what class" it was.

You owe everybody who reads your drivel an apology. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting false things!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Glassport Forum right now

Search the Glassport Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Let's be real for one minute 34 min OLDTIMER 20
Recycling Event 1 hr Me too 10
Attention workers 2 hr hangover 11
Remember when 16 hr resident 38
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 18 hr Capt Lou 51,114
Should Angelo step down from the Crime Watch Pr... 22 hr Doris 22
Does the boro need to waste $250,000 on a new p... Sat LOL 137
•••
•••
•••
•••

Glassport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Glassport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Glassport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Glassport
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••