when is best time to look for ginseng?

when is best time to look for ginseng?

Posted in the Glasgow Forum

just wondering

Glasgow, KY

#1 Oct 7, 2009
My great grandpa used to love to go ginseng hunting.He is gone now, but If anybody can tell me when is the best time to go look for ginseng,and how to do it.I have never been,Is there any good websites i can go to find out for sure what it looks like and how to go about digging it up and selling it legally? I heard there is laws about ginseng hunting and selling,well anyway i would appreciate any old timers out there that can help me find out more.
Beekeeper

Glasgow, KY

#2 Oct 7, 2009
just wondering wrote:
My great grandpa used to love to go ginseng hunting.He is gone now, but If anybody can tell me when is the best time to go look for ginseng,and how to do it.I have never been,Is there any good websites i can go to find out for sure what it looks like and how to go about digging it up and selling it legally? I heard there is laws about ginseng hunting and selling,well anyway i would appreciate any old timers out there that can help me find out more.
It may be too late. It may still have a berry pod, I'm not sure. They fall off this time of year. Have you ever seen a plant? If you naver have been how do you know what to look for? It's hard to explain what it looks like. It could have from 2 to 5 stems, depending on age.
just wondering

Glasgow, KY

#3 Oct 7, 2009
no i have never seen it just pictures on the internet i don't really know what it looks like up close but i want to learn
country

Brunswick, OH

#4 Aug 29, 2011
Sept 1 comes in season. Get an old timer to show you. Find some woods others don't run. I get back in places not even a deer go's. Most of the time I come out with 15 to 20 oz a day(wet). Last year went for $500 pd ohio. I'm 50 and the grandkids still can't keep up in the woods.
Sharon

Beckley, WV

#5 Aug 23, 2014
sep oct nov and dec best time for ginseng hunting
happy

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Aug 24, 2014
just wondering wrote:
I know it's sept to Oct u have to have the root and all a friend I no got 2"000 year before last hunted morning till dark for 3 days

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 17 min Alberto 153,598
Lighthouse Restaurant 18 min Donna 10
new to area 42 min atf 9
wet or dry 54 min atf 21
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '15) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 675
Another Word Game. (Nov '08) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,615
Word Association (Jun '08) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 5,407
Clowns 10 hr Charry Chan 13

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages