Since: Jul 07

Cave City, KY

#41 Nov 12, 2008
I used to have scrtc for cable and internet four years ago . I wasn't impressed. I've had Directv and Hughesnet ever since. I've had HD ever since directv started offering it and if you have an h20 box, You and get your locals over the air in HD. It will even add them in you program guide for you. I also side side by side comparision of SCRTC's basic DSL vs Home pro from Hughesnet. Hughesnet is a little sluggish on browsing. But on downloads hughes can run circles around scrtc. SCRTC dsl customers don't get the speed that they are supposed to get, While hughesnet customers get a little more.
Mommy of 2

Glasgow, KY

#42 Nov 12, 2008
We just recently switched to SCRTC. The deposit was outrageous and then the first months bill was even worse because of installation fees or whatever. They quoted me a price at the office for $220(I have no idea why it was so high) and we try to pay bills before the due date and it was even before the actual bill came in cause we thought we knew how much it was for. When the bill came in, the quote was $15 less than the actual bill, but I figured they'd put the remainder on the next bill, but NO I got a cut off notice for like the very next week. I was SO mad. It wasn't my fault the lady at the office quoted me wrong. I have phone with caller ID name and number, cable with the family channels, and internet all for $90 which isn't extreme but EPB doesn't require a deposit.
ehh

Glasgow, KY

#43 Dec 1, 2008
From the looks of it SCRTC serves a huge area. The cost of deploying a network to handle the bandwidth of High Definition TV (not didgital tv) over this big an area is quite a lot. I just moved here about 2 years ago from Indiana and frankly...I'm very happy about the cost of the services.

I'm paying a little less than half of what an equivalent package cost back in Indiana. I was talking with one of techs, a chubby older guy with a beard awhile ago after a bad electrical storm that shot out our modem/receiver box said those things were costing them at the time a little over 400 dollars a pop.

Customer service has always been great, a little slow, but always friendly

I do remember seeing an SCRTC truck laying what looked to be fiber optical cable down around where that store that burnt was a few months ago. 68-80 i think? Anyone work there that can confirm that?
unknown

Glasgow, KY

#44 Dec 2, 2008
i dont work for them but have friends that do and not many of them take up for scrtc they will tell u it sucks but its a job to support there families scrtc is working on going all digital so hold on its coming its going to take time as for the money they have it
people are stupid

Cave City, KY

#45 Dec 2, 2008
Shut up everyone you know how big of area that scrtc covers a huge area it cost money for that. Starting the first of the year theres going to be hd on scrtc. I know this for a fact so stop your bitching grow up.You people are like a bunch of dam kids talk and bitch and bitch Like to talk about crap you dont know what your talking about. So just shut up im going to try to get this site shut down.
Figures

Glasgow, KY

#46 Dec 2, 2008
unknown wrote:
i dont work for them but have friends that do and not many of them take up for scrtc they will tell u it sucks but its a job to support there families scrtc is working on going all digital so hold on its coming its going to take time as for the money they have it
"working on going all digital"? So, for the last several years we've all been paying for DIGITAL CABLE and not getting it? That figures!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#47 Dec 2, 2008
I lived in Louisville for a few years up until last March. I had my digital cable, internet, and telephone through Insight Communications. I was only paying $120 a month for telephone with caller ID and call waiting, cable internet, one digital box, and two premium channels. The best part was, when you pay for a premium channel with Insight such as HBO, Showtime, or Cinemax, you get it on all the tv's in your home. However, the digital box picked up multiple HBO's and Showtimes as well as HBO On Demand and Showtime On Demand, allowing me to watch several movies whenever I chose. If EPB would try matching Insight's services and keep it affordable, Glasgow would truly benefit once again from a company receiving both Government funding and our money!

“I just dont give a f┬Áck.”

DaVill

#49 Dec 2, 2008
Logical Thought wrote:
I lived in Louisville for a few years up until last March. I had my digital cable, internet, and telephone through Insight Communications. I was only paying $120 a month for telephone with caller ID and call waiting, cable internet, one digital box, and two premium channels. The best part was, when you pay for a premium channel with Insight such as HBO, Showtime, or Cinemax, you get it on all the tv's in your home. However, the digital box picked up multiple HBO's and Showtimes as well as HBO On Demand and Showtime On Demand, allowing me to watch several movies whenever I chose. If EPB would try matching Insight's services and keep it affordable, Glasgow would truly benefit once again from a company receiving both Government funding and our money!
Insight's internet service is top notch. Up to 15mb connections. They service Bowling Green, and are expanding towards Glasgow.

Location hidden

#51 Dec 3, 2008
Lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Insight's internet service is top notch. Up to 15mb connections. They service Bowling Green, and are expanding towards Glasgow.
Chances are, with EPB owning the existing cables around this town, the cost of Insight moving in will be far to expensive for it to be worth their effort. EPB has ended up with a government funded, capital backed, monopoly on this town in a sense.
good grief

Cave City, KY

#52 Dec 3, 2008
3com wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wait till they come out with the pricing information for HDTV. If you think its expensive, you will have to have a $600 tv + their service.
The only programing worth watching in High Def is on the network stations, and you can watch the majority of them online streamed in HD to your computer. Well, if you've got a fast enough internet connection.
Hopefully the HD will not cost a fortune, they already are going to charge more to keep our local stations which I will have to pay because I watch wbko, cbs, fox and nbc more than any of the other networks.

My reply to this comment was most everyone now a days has a tv that is capable of HD that is all they sell nowadays anyway so we'll already have that. I have a newer 50' plasma and watching blu ray is awesome I can just imagine when the cable does ever get HD how amazing it will be, because after watching blu ray and then going to watch cable it looks like crap. The fox channel 41 always has something running through it most the time too wish they'd discount for things like that because its unfair to pay that much.

Also whoever was saying that phone through scrtc was like $17 is crazy! I get the basic phone line with caller id which is like $2 for caller id and my phone bill is $37 not $17!! With my cable, internet, phone I pay around $108 but still its cheaper than when I had Dish network that's what we paid just for dish so when we switched to scrtc it was like getting the phone and internet free!
good grief

Cave City, KY

#53 Dec 3, 2008
people are stupid wrote:
Shut up everyone you know how big of area that scrtc covers a huge area it cost money for that. Starting the first of the year theres going to be hd on scrtc. I know this for a fact so stop your bitching grow up.You people are like a bunch of dam kids talk and bitch and bitch Like to talk about crap you dont know what your talking about. So just shut up im going to try to get this site shut down.
Are you certain that scrtc is getting HD the first of the year or are you confusing it with the new digital system starting in Feb? I wish they would be getting it that soon!

I have not yet heard it if they were, they do work hard though to get what they can as fast as they can, my Dad worked for the phone co and back like 9 yrs ago they were working on fiber optic cable which takes a long time to do, so I know they are up to date just we all have to be patient.
well

Cave City, KY

#54 Dec 3, 2008
well i know for the fact there geting it. I dont care if your dad does work there or not. I know quite a few people that work there that up in the chain.
MusicMan

Birdseye, IN

#55 Dec 3, 2008
Chances are, with EPB owning the existing cables around this town, the cost of Insight moving in will be far to expensive for it to be worth their effort. EPB has ended up with a government funded, capital backed, monopoly on this town in a sense.

Logical Thought, perhaps it would be logical for you to learn facts before you speak. As a Glasgow resident for many decades, I can help you with that. First of all, EPB is owned by the city of Glasgow, but they certainly don't get government funding. Capital backed? Just what do you mean by that? Monopoly!? Sometime back in the 80's the EPB acted to end the monopoly of Telescripps Cable on Glasgow. They borrowed money the old fashioned way. They built a new cable system and slugged it out with Telescripps for years, ultimately winning out. Now they slug it out with SCRTC. This was going on when you were wearing diapers. Is that logical enough for you?
good grief

Cave City, KY

#56 Dec 3, 2008
well wrote:
well i know for the fact there geting it. I dont care if your dad does work there or not. I know quite a few people that work there that up in the chain.
If you'd read my reply I did not say my Dad worked there now I said my Dad worked for a phone company about 9 yrs ago and they had fiber optical cable they started way back then...my point was that back then the phone company was ahead of time.

Location hidden

#57 Dec 4, 2008
MusicMan wrote:
Logical Thought, perhaps it would be logical for you to learn facts before you speak. As a Glasgow resident for many decades, I can help you with that. First of all, EPB is owned by the city of Glasgow, but they certainly don't get government funding. Capital backed? Just what do you mean by that? Monopoly!? Sometime back in the 80's the EPB acted to end the monopoly of Telescripps Cable on Glasgow. They borrowed money the old fashioned way. They built a new cable system and slugged it out with Telescripps for years, ultimately winning out. Now they slug it out with SCRTC. This was going on when you were wearing diapers. Is that logical enough for you?
Before questioning someone's logic, it may be wise for you to, as you put it, get your facts straight. They do receive government funding as a city owned electric provider. They receive capital by charging us more for the services than it costs them to offer it.

You do know why Telescrips is gone don't you? It's impossible to compete with an electric company that had cable run through the city already to monitor electric usage. A company that was able to over lower rates at the time for better service. But you'd almost have to live somewhere outside of the county for a couple years to reallize just how little the EPB is saving you compared to any other city. Like I said, EPB is nothing compared to Insight in services offered or services rendered. Try calling here after 6pm when your internet dies...I wish you the best of luck getting it fixed before the next day. Live in an insight area and it's back on in a few hours at most. Not to mention you didn't have to rent a cable modem or a cable converter to receive some of the better services they offer over the EPB. But heaven forbid anyone logically decide they'd like to pay less for the same services. God forgive all whom assume competition can move in on someone who has the city covered, and owns the majority of the poles someone would need to use if they wanted to offer competition. When municipalities venture into capitalism, they can offer quick solutions, but in the long run cost people more than a competitor would.

“What's going on?”

Glagow, KY

#58 Dec 4, 2008
Well...I know people on insight, that have had both services. If you just count the cable and internet, everyone of them would rather have and pay for EPB. I know I have the base cable and internet...my bill is just a hair over $60. Currently you cannot do that with insight. You have to get the digital cable package, which is $60 for the base package then add the internet ontop of this...and that's for BG. In Lexington where my youngest brother lives he pays $88/mo for digital cable basic and another $40/mo for internet.
Topic

United States

#59 Dec 4, 2008
Former Worker wrote:
I used to work at SCRTC. The department I was in was a little quacky, we would treat customers like shit onpurpose. Essp one employee which I wont give his name. but boy he would cuss employees and cut off their service for the fun of it, we always found it funny watching him ass kiss to keep out of trouble.
anyway their services are a bit overprices and their DSL Speeds blow. go with EPB youll be happier
The main problem I have with EPB is when there's a problem and you call to ask about it ......it's ALWAYS YOU!! no matter what the problem is. I'd like to know......what's up with that?

Location hidden

#60 Dec 4, 2008
malsell wrote:
Well...I know people on insight, that have had both services. If you just count the cable and internet, everyone of them would rather have and pay for EPB. I know I have the base cable and internet...my bill is just a hair over $60. Currently you cannot do that with insight. You have to get the digital cable package, which is $60 for the base package then add the internet ontop of this...and that's for BG. In Lexington where my youngest brother lives he pays $88/mo for digital cable basic and another $40/mo for internet.
Until I moved back from Louisville, I had been paying $90 a month for 1 digital box, 2 premium channels that I could watch from all four rooms in my apartment without having to rent more boxes, I outright owned my cable modem and wasn't being charged to rent a piece of crap that I've had to replace three of with the EPB. I had upgraded to add phone for the last few months I was there and was only paying $120/month. Best part about Insight...they offered more bandwidth for both uploading and downloading than the EPB does. I'd personally rather have Insight here.

“What's going on?”

Glagow, KY

#61 Dec 4, 2008
Logical Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Until I moved back from Louisville, I had been paying $90 a month for 1 digital box, 2 premium channels that I could watch from all four rooms in my apartment without having to rent more boxes, I outright owned my cable modem and wasn't being charged to rent a piece of crap that I've had to replace three of with the EPB. I had upgraded to add phone for the last few months I was there and was only paying $120/month. Best part about Insight...they offered more bandwidth for both uploading and downloading than the EPB does. I'd personally rather have Insight here.
Well, since I had moved out into the country for a while and went to SCRTC, I had to quit downloading new linux versions every week, so as long as I have the bandwidth for Xbox Live, which I do, I don't have any issues. I will say the Motorolla Surfboard Modems they use are POS's. But they are not as bad as the old USR modems they used to have.(Not to take anything away from the old white 3comm's). I have to say, I've heard and have experienced a lot of problems EPB's service in the past 4 months in and around the tara estates ares, however, it seems to be working fine elsewhere including where I live.

Location hidden

#62 Dec 4, 2008
malsell wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, since I had moved out into the country for a while and went to SCRTC, I had to quit downloading new linux versions every week, so as long as I have the bandwidth for Xbox Live, which I do, I don't have any issues. I will say the Motorolla Surfboard Modems they use are POS's. But they are not as bad as the old USR modems they used to have.(Not to take anything away from the old white 3comm's). I have to say, I've heard and have experienced a lot of problems EPB's service in the past 4 months in and around the tara estates ares, however, it seems to be working fine elsewhere including where I live.
You're lucky...both my home and my place of employment have had issues with internet service coming and going for the past year...and they keep telling me it's because they're installing the fiber network. I'm still rather curious how putting something new in before taking something old out affect the old, but such is the intelligence behind given answers whenever you can actually contact someone in the EPB's tech department.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 29 min ChromiuMan 163,927
Confederate statue: 2 hr You Can Go 62
Muslims 2 hr Citizen 46
misty jones 5 hr cathead 1
North Jackson Elementary (Nov '14) 6 hr We agree 47
Does anyone know what happened to Scott Estes? 7 hr Miss you 7
What's going on at kfc!!!!! 7 hr Scanner Says 3

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages