First Prev
of 3
Next Last
KEVIN

Glasgow, KY

#1 Sep 22, 2008
THEY ARE BAD THIS YEAR ,EVERYBODY NEEDS TO STAY INDOORS .ME .MYWIFE,MY KIDS AND DOG GOT THEM WHERE WE WENT CAMPING AND FISHING .THERE WERE DEAD BIRDS ALL ALONG THE WATER BANK ,JUST A NOTE
WHATEVER

Glasgow, KY

#3 Sep 22, 2008
WE WENT TO TWO DRS AND THEY ARE CALLED TURKEY MITES /SEED TICKS WHICH EVER YOU PREFER.WHEN DID YOU GET YOUR VET DEGREE
KEVIN

Glasgow, KY

#5 Sep 22, 2008
HMMMM GLASGOW .I JUST KNOW WHAT I WAS TOLD .SORRY IM JUST ILL CAUSE NO ONE REALLY KNOWS HOW TO TREAT US ,
Help

Glasgow, KY

#6 Sep 22, 2008
Help! my husband got in turkey mites real bad, and didn't know it till too late. and now they are in my house! How do you get rid of them?!
shooter

Bowling Green, KY

#7 Sep 22, 2008
KAT

Glasgow, KY

#8 Sep 22, 2008
HEY SAME HEY SAME THING HAPPENED TO US .GO TO A FEED STORE NEAR YOU AND GET 10%PERMETHRIN AND MIX AND SPRAY AND LEAVE YOUR HOUSE ALL DAY SPRAY YOUR YARD EVERYTHING .WE HAD THEM FOR 6 MONTHS UNTIL WE TRIED THIS .THESE THINGS WILL BURROW IN YOUR SKIN AND YOU BECOME THE HOST.
KAT

Glasgow, KY

#9 Sep 22, 2008
THEIR WAS ANOTHER PERSON ON HER A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO SAID THEY HAD THEM FOR A YEAR .ITS REALLY CREEPY
Help

Glasgow, KY

#10 Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the advice, I had some Adams flea and tick spray for the dogs so I sprayed the carpet with it. I'm washing everything in hot water right now too. I have the heebie jeebies so bad right now!
Well

Glasgow, KY

#11 Sep 23, 2008
What we all call Turkey mites is actually the larva stage of the Lonestar tick which doesnt typically cause lyme disease but does in some cases cause the rocky mountain spotted tick fever .
Alot of us know they are not actually turkey mites! It is just easier to call them that . And the Permethrin is the best thing I have found to repel them . You can buy spray cans of it in sporting goods at your local Walmart .
fxst

Lexington, KY

#12 Sep 23, 2008
SEVIN-10 DUST
private

Glasgow, KY

#13 Sep 23, 2008
me and my mother both got lyme disease /and rocky mountain fever from these things .they even got in our eyes
GMO3

Glasgow, KY

#14 Sep 23, 2008
What do they look like, and how do you know when you have it? I'm itching just thinking about it.
omg

Glasgow, KY

#15 Sep 23, 2008
GMO3 wrote:
What do they look like, and how do you know when you have it? I'm itching just thinking about it.
They are tiny turkeys. Very Tiny.
They formed a message on our wall is how we knew.
"stop calling us 'Turkey Mites'"

Seriously....I am itching now TOO !!!!
Well

Glasgow, KY

#16 Sep 23, 2008
They are only about the size of this period > . And you usually dont just get one because they are tick larva and where there is one there is usually hundreds more. They can be found just about anywhere there is tall grass or wooded areas and after you get bit by one it can itch for up to 3 or 4 months . They are very bad now and will be until frost and even after frost on warmer and sunny days you could still get them .
Friend Also

Glasgow, KY

#17 Sep 23, 2008
Well wrote:
They are only about the size of this period > . And you usually dont just get one because they are tick larva and where there is one there is usually hundreds more. They can be found just about anywhere there is tall grass or wooded areas and after you get bit by one it can itch for up to 3 or 4 months . They are very bad now and will be until frost and even after frost on warmer and sunny days you could still get them .
My father in law was just diagnosed from his DOCTOR that he had TURKEY MITES.
fritz

Glasgow, KY

#18 Sep 23, 2008
MY BEST FRIENDS KIDS GOT EM JUST PLAYING IN THE YARD .NY UNCLE FROM HUNTING ,BUT A DR HAS TO GET TO YOU BEFORE THEY GET TO BE TO MANY .WHAT DID THEY GIVE YOUR UNCLE TO GET RID OF EM
Well

Glasgow, KY

#19 Sep 23, 2008
That is what everyone including doctors call them but they are actually lonestar tick larva .
http://www.harrisoncountyhealth.com/ticks_and...
The lone star tick is slightly smaller than the American dog tick, but has much longer mouth parts. The female has a single white spot near the center of her back. The males and nymphs are much smaller than the females. All three stages -- larvae, nymphs, and adults -- are quite active and walk fast. The lone star tick differs from the American dog tick in that all three active stages will attach to humans. The immature stages of the lone star tick are sometimes referred to as "seed ticks" or "turkey ticks", "turkey mites" or even "deer ticks", and will attach to ground-feeding birds and be carried to distant locations. Lone star ticks are very common in southern Indiana, and high populations can be found in Harrison County. Adults appear in late March. Their numbers peak in May and June, declining in July. Nymphs appear in April, peak in May and June, and can be found throughout the summer. Larvae appear in the spring and again in the fall, but are not usually encountered in the middle of the summer.

The lone star tick can also harbor the bacterium that causes Rocky Mountain spotted fever (see above). In addition, lone star ticks infected with Ehrlichia chaffeensis, the cause of human monocytic ehrlichiosis (HME), have been collected Crawford, Perry, and Orange counties, as well as others. Human ehrlichiosis can be treated with antibiotics such as tetracycline.

Well

Glasgow, KY

#20 Sep 23, 2008
Friend Also wrote:
<quoted text>
My father in law was just diagnosed from his DOCTOR that he had TURKEY MITES.
I am not trying to say that the doctor didnt say that because everyone calls them that but they are actually a baby lonestar tick . We live in a heavily wooded area and have had lots of encounters with them so I decided long ago to find out exactly what turkey mites were. I was surprised to find out that they were indeed just a very very small tick .
SANDRA

Glasgow, KY

#21 Sep 23, 2008
I GUESS THATS WHY I GOT SO SICK,IF ITS A TICK AND I MEAN MILLIONS OF THEM .TWO DOCTORS TOLD ME THEY WERE BIRD MITES ,IS A BIRDMITE ALSO SOME KIND OF TICK ?JUST CURIOUS
Well

Glasgow, KY

#22 Sep 23, 2008
SANDRA wrote:
I GUESS THATS WHY I GOT SO SICK,IF ITS A TICK AND I MEAN MILLIONS OF THEM .TWO DOCTORS TOLD ME THEY WERE BIRD MITES ,IS A BIRDMITE ALSO SOME KIND OF TICK ?JUST CURIOUS
Yes the doctors call them turkey or bird mites but they are actually immature lonestar ticks I posted a website on one of my last posts that will give you the info about them .
I do know there are also a form of lice that chickens and domestic bird get that people call chicken mites .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 33 min Paul 163,772
Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me 56 min republicans are dumb 136
tim 2 hr Amen 4
Brock nunn 4 hr curious 23
Brittany Wilson 4 hr 81angel 2
Akebono 2017 6 hr No good - person 7
Bartender at Coltons 6 hr Brian v 7

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages