Southgate Plaza Houchens & Save-a-lot

Posted in the Glasgow Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
man with a plan

Glasgow, KY

#1 Feb 10, 2011
I flat refuse to go to either of the stores mentioned. why?

I'll start with the Hellchens at Southgate plaza mall,

went to cash a check under $100 the lady said she did not have enough cash in her til to cash it, after I mentioned I wanted to purchase a carton of smokes with the paycheck.

about 75-80% of the time, I end up leaving without my purchases, due to being 7th in line, due to cashiers chatting it up about customers issues,

Save-a-Lot

walked there to make a few purchases, the clerk was more interested in a smoke break then ringing up my purchases, went to store manager, he said they were all busy working. as I left, I observed an employee on the phone.

when is it that a cashier is working hard when they are on the phone.

frankly. both stores should be boycotted until managment can stop hiring people and managers like this.
a dude

Glasgow, KY

#2 Feb 10, 2011
I know, I have the same issue too, perhaps the District Managers need to fire the staff at both stores, and hire the people that despratly need jobs

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#3 Feb 10, 2011
I wouldn't shop at Houchens because their prices are ridiculous.

I hate the Glasgow Save-A-Lot - it is the worst one around (It is owned by Houchens).

I like the Edmonton Save-A-Lot...and even the Cave City and T-ville SALs are much nicer than Glasgow.

When ya go in the Glasgow Save-A-Lot, it feels like you're some dumpy store in the 'hood in reggin-ville!(Although last time I went to Edmonton SAL, the young-lady cashiers were more interested in talking/texting on their cell phones and talking to each other than in doing their job properly. You think things are bad now in this country, just wait a few years till all the older people are gone and all we have left are these shallow youngsters who only function at the most minimal level just so they can receive a paycheck for just showing up)
man with a plan

Glasgow, KY

#4 Feb 10, 2011
I hear ya on that. it's sad what people that work at places like this do when there are good people out there that would be willing to do the work
total BS

Glasgow, KY

#5 Feb 10, 2011
Original T Jefferson wrote:
You think things are bad now in this country, just wait a few years till all the older people are gone and all we have left are these shallow youngsters who only function at the most minimal level just so they can receive a paycheck for just showing up)
Seems as though I have heard this before. Oh yeah...it was 30 or 40 years ago when the people our age now were saying this about us.:)

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#6 Feb 10, 2011
total BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems as though I have heard this before. Oh yeah...it was 30 or 40 years ago when the people our age now were saying this about us.:)
And they were right.... I know a guy who's over 70 who can outwork me!

This is another reason why the economy has gone down the tubes. Even my generation are slouches. Most of the old people I know (60's and 70's) have more energy; are more conscientious and will do a better job without being told.....

My friend's father worked full-time when he was 86. Our generation doesn't want to work when they're 50.

Even me- I'm so lazy I embarrass myself!

But it just keeps getting worse. the children are worse than the parents...and each generation more so. We're devolving.

I had a 60-something year-old schvatze lay some blocks for me a few years ago. Did a MARVELOUS job and made fast work of it. He is so in-demand, because the younger guys take twice as long to do the same job and don't do it as well. And quite frankly, that guy would put ME to shame- I couldn't imagine doing what he does all day, and out in the hot sun, with heavy cement blocks....and I'm 20 years younger than he!

If any of us had lived 100 years ago...or even today, in many other countries that have a strong work ethic. we would have starved to death. Welfare, taxes, entitlement mentality, government regulation; government education; abandonment of religion and morals, has ruined our work ethic.(I basically had none myself- was never raised to- until I got into the Bible)

“loving life”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7 Feb 10, 2011
Original T Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
And they were right.... I know a guy who's over 70 who can outwork me!
This is another reason why the economy has gone down the tubes. Even my generation are slouches. Most of the old people I know (60's and 70's) have more energy; are more conscientious and will do a better job without being told.....
My friend's father worked full-time when he was 86. Our generation doesn't want to work when they're 50.
Even me- I'm so lazy I embarrass myself!
But it just keeps getting worse. the children are worse than the parents...and each generation more so. We're devolving.
I had a 60-something year-old schvatze lay some blocks for me a few years ago. Did a MARVELOUS job and made fast work of it. He is so in-demand, because the younger guys take twice as long to do the same job and don't do it as well. And quite frankly, that guy would put ME to shame- I couldn't imagine doing what he does all day, and out in the hot sun, with heavy cement blocks....and I'm 20 years younger than he!
If any of us had lived 100 years ago...or even today, in many other countries that have a strong work ethic. we would have starved to death. Welfare, taxes, entitlement mentality, government regulation; government education; abandonment of religion and morals, has ruined our work ethic.(I basically had none myself- was never raised to- until I got into the Bible)
lol you arent gonna get them cows fed today otj you keep getting back on here lol or whatever it was you was gonna do.
Ruthie

Glasgow, KY

#8 Feb 10, 2011
I am a regular shopper at both of these stores and I have never had any problems with the cashiers at either place. I have had to stand in line sometimes to get checked out but that is also the case at Walmart, KMart.

I do think Houchens prices are high on most things unless they are on sale. Be careful about that as I have been charged the regular price on sale items and had to go back and get a refund.
TopHat

Munfordville, KY

#9 Feb 10, 2011
You could go to the Houchins on Happy Vally and listin to Susan Burris talk about how the old people get on her nerves, and how shes gona get her some of what she aint gettin at home. ewwww I can see why shes not.
pay for my own

United States

#10 Feb 10, 2011
man with a plan wrote:
went to cash a check under $100 the lady said she did not have enough cash in her til to cash it, after I mentioned I wanted to purchase a carton of smokes with the paycheck.
Last time I checked, they have places called banks where u can cash a check. They arent there to serve as you're bank, they're there to turn a buck selling groceries. Doesn't surprise me they don't have the cash on hand when the majority of their sales are food stamp sales, guess you cannot put your smokes on the gubment card huh?
Aunt Bea

Glasgow, KY

#11 Feb 10, 2011
man with a plan wrote:
about 75-80% of the time, I end up leaving without my purchases, due to being 7th in line, due to cashiers chatting it up about customers issues,
Save-a-Lot
walked there to make a few purchases, the clerk was more interested in a smoke break then ringing up my purchases, went to store manager, he said they were all busy working. as I left, I observed an employee on the phone.
when is it that a cashier is working hard when they are on the phone.
frankly. both stores should be boycotted until managment can stop hiring people and managers like this.
I seldom get cash back at a store but the last time I did, which was ages ago, seems like there was a 25 or 50 dollar limit one could get. I agree with the above poster, Houchens is not a bank and I can understand that they limit this cash back to people making a purchase. Now the cashier shouldn't have told you she didn't have the money in her drawer if that wasn't true. She should have told you their policy if you were not making a purchase.
bank

Clarkson, KY

#12 Feb 10, 2011
I agree. Go to a bank if you want a check cashed, or somewhere like the money center at Walmart. Houchen's is a grocery store, not a bank.

If you have a problem with either store, just don't shop there. It's your choice to shop there or not, so don't complain if you don't get the service you want or expect. Complaining here won't solve anything anyways. Contact the corporate office with your complaints.

As for long lines at both stores, it's because they are trying to save money by not having additional cashiers staffed that aren't needed all the time. Would you like to pay more for your groceries so the stores could pay for more cashiers that would just be standing around doing nothing when there's not a rush of customers at the checkouts? They call for backup when the lines get long if they have other employees in the store that are register trained. This is true for just about any retail store.

Was the cashier at Save-a-Lot on a cell phone or the store phone? If it was a cell they could have been on break. Employees are entitled to breaks and lunches you know. If they were on the store phone did you ever stop to think it may have been for customer service?

I'm guessing you've never worked at a retail store, so you have no clue how they operate.
man with a plan

Glasgow, KY

#13 Feb 10, 2011
defend the retards at both locations. I know there are many hard working people out there that could work circles around these morons. Houchens industries must make it company policy to hire shitheads. and. here's my point. both stores I mentioned are pathetic. and need new staff. I've spoken to the managers of both, and yet they are too lazy to do anything about it
LaToya

Glasgow, KY

#14 Feb 10, 2011
I WAS IN Walmart 2 days ago--in the 20 items or less--people all had 20 or less items and we were about 15 people in line and they sure as hell called no one-we all stood there for a long time!! glasgow SUCKS
long dong silver

Glasgow, KY

#15 Feb 10, 2011
i just get pissed when im in line (at any store in this town)with 3 things and the cashier wants to talk to the customer about everything under the sun, (that has nothing to do with them shopping) like talk about there kids, dogs... neighbors, etc... call them on ur damn break, i got other places to be than standing in line.
Sussan

Glasgow, KY

#16 Feb 15, 2011
Still aint getting it
wonder

Leitchfield, KY

#17 Feb 15, 2011
Easy fix.If you don't like the way you are treated at any private owned business then go to another until you get to the one that offers what that makes you happy.Better than a bad mouth and will make you more happy.
flybye

Glasgow, KY

#18 Feb 15, 2011
Stephanie Burris is who I think your talking about.

“Cowboy Up”

Since: Jan 11

Where ever I hang my Hat

#19 Feb 15, 2011
Sussan wrote:
Still aint getting it
Well just don't give up yet.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#20 Feb 15, 2011
I do not like either I usually shop at walmart or CB

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min another viewer 178,252
does anyone know russell firkins (Nov '09) 11 min Stephanieruiz 2
Word Association (Jun '08) 1 hr Princess Hey 6,237
# 2 Last word sentence game (Jan '09) 1 hr Princess Hey 1,896
word association(2 words before & after) (Jan '09) 1 hr Princess Hey 1,992
new word association game (Sep '09) 1 hr Princess Hey 134
word game (Feb '10) 1 hr Princess Hey 127

Glasgow Jobs

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages