of 3
Next Last

Smo

“Eternal Love Connquers All!”

Since: Dec 07

Glasgow, KY

#41 Apr 22, 2009
Sure wrote:
I don't know if people have just looked over my posts or what.
Jel369, I already ran a business like this in town about 8yrs ago. Somebody did already think of this idea.
Business Man, I've given a bunch of advice based on actual experience with this exact business. I would love to help this couple, but they have not responded to my posts or hit me up for info. And I am a successful small business owner of a different kind of business now (for the past 7yrs)
I'm not saying they shouldn't open, I was just relaying our experience. I support anyone that wants to operate their own business.
Thank you for your Post "sure". We have totally been listening to you even though we havent responded and appreciate your interest in helping us with information. we are just feeling people out and getting a perspective from all different people on location and sit-in options etc. and will definitely be in touch with you on this once we have a more solid business plan. Thanks a lot

Chance & Sam
listen up

Glasgow, KY

#42 Apr 22, 2009
Sure wrote:
Speaking from experience having operated this same type of business in Glasgow, the very first thing I would do is contact the health department and get the requirements. They are not very friendly to businesses like this in Glasgow. There are special things to consider depending on how you set up. Will it be a mobile or permanent location? If mobile, then it can only stay in one location for a certian amount of time per month. You'll have to have several locations to move around to. This impacts how the regular customers are able to locate you. If it is a permanent location, you will have to have a bathroom in the building, aproved by the HD of course. Regardless of mobile of permanent, all plumbing, sinks, drains, counters, surface coverings, etc will have to be approved by the HD. If you have tables outside that seat more than 5 people (I think, might be wrong on that #), you'll have to have a public restroom for the customers. Even the type of toilet has to be approved and is a specific type. If you're thinking you could run this out of one of those snow cone setups, they won't allow it. Milk is considered a hazardous material. You could sell all the nachos, hot dogs and pop you'd like. But try to sell snything with milk in it and you're in a whole different category in regards to restrictions. Also, you'll need to carry liabilty insurance in case someone sues you because they burn themselves on hot coffee.
It's not an impossible thing to do in Glasgow, but they really do make it difficult on the business owner. Also, unless you are really financially secure, I would crunch all of the numbers really hard. This type of business is considered a "luxury". These are the things people cut out of their budgets first when the economy is bad. The only thing that keeps a lot of coffe shops open is the lounge atmosphere, internet access, live music, etc. One last thought, McDonald's, Sonic, and JR Foods all sell their versions of coffe based beverages. You will find the majority of Glasgow thinks these are great and like the prices even better. It doesn't matter to the average person in Glasgow that those drinks do not even contain real espresso. there are some that appreciate the real thing, but most will settle for the imitation. I know our regulars still beg us to open back up when they see us and we have been gone for over 6 yrs now.
I wish you the best,Good Luck to you.
Smo,
You had better listen up. The person above sounds like they've been there and done that.
Free honest advice from experience is priceless.
I've been a business person for thirty years and it's a long tough highway. I would address all these issues in my business plan for evaluation.
Good Luck.
Sure

Glasgow, KY

#43 Apr 22, 2009
No problem at all. I still have all of my vendor's info for cups, syrups, machines, etc. Just hit me up when you're ready and I'll pass anything I have onto you. I also have a Barista instructional video someplace. It really helped us get started making the different drinks. We're happy to share all of the info and experience we have on the subject, positive and negative alike.

Good luck to you.
A Mama

Glasgow, KY

#44 Apr 23, 2009
To the mother who couldn't find this post, here ya go! Bumped it up for ya!
what do you think

Glasgow, KY

#45 Apr 23, 2009
anyone else have any opionions?
jel369

Glasgow, KY

#46 Apr 23, 2009
A Mama wrote:
To the mother who couldn't find this post, here ya go! Bumped it up for ya!
Thank you
A Mama

Glasgow, KY

#47 Apr 23, 2009
You're welcome :-)
be brave

Glasgow, KY

#48 Apr 28, 2009
bumping it up for more opinions!
jee

Glasgow, KY

#49 Apr 28, 2009
As much as we enjoy good lattes, we'd go sit down at Electric Beach before we'd use a drive through.
Great Idea

Glasgow, KY

#50 Apr 28, 2009
Hey I like the one idea that was mentioned.... A sit in. Think of all the customers youll have. Expecially when people come into town that havent been, they could go their and catch up. It would be great for kids to go, ones that drink coffee and stay out of truble. A great location would be next to a college.

Since: Jan 09

Glasgow, KY

#51 Apr 28, 2009
Sit down at Electric Beach... yeah right. If you go there and you aren't dressed to impress and willing to kiss the owner's butt... you aren't welcome. I have been a loyal customer there since they opened and now that my boyfriend has tattoo... we aren't the type of people they want in there. I was in there atleast 4-5 times a week bought smoothies and usually a chicken wrap... now because they are so judgemental of people who aren't exactly like them... i can't even stand to go in there. I have really gotten tired of Kim the owner looking down on everyone. I will gladly welcome a new place for me and my friends to hang out.
easier way

Glasgow, KY

#52 Apr 29, 2009
I think it would go over great next to a college also. Man when I went to college we needed somewhere to go in between classes and that would have been great. Though I don't think anyone would just drive out there to go get a coffee if you didn't go to college.

“I'm not bad..”

Since: Aug 08

I'm just drawn that way

#53 Apr 29, 2009
easier way wrote:
I think it would go over great next to a college also. Man when I went to college we needed somewhere to go in between classes and that would have been great. Though I don't think anyone would just drive out there to go get a coffee if you didn't go to college.
right! a better idea would be down on that end of the bypass....lower end that is....but as long as you don't have to drive way out the college students will still go and enjoy and study with a sit in.
love it

Glasgow, KY

#54 May 1, 2009
anymore ideas?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr CCR 164,711
Word Association (Jun '08) 2 hr _Zoey_ 5,974
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '15) 3 hr _Zoey_ 1,372
What's happened to mighty dollar? 4 hr yah 13
Fire pit spirits again 6 hr WTH 23
Sara Crumpton where is she? 9 hr Back again 8
Looking for friend 10 hr Looking 1

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance