Comments
21 - 40 of 54 Comments Last updated May 1, 2009

Smo

“Eternal Love Connquers All!”

Since: Dec 07

Glasgow, KY

#21 Apr 21, 2009
haha wrote:
Well, I hope you have lots of money. If you're going to start a coffee shop selling 3 and 4 dollar coffee, remember that mcdonalds will always be cheaper. You would have to market the heck out of it and be able to go in the hole about two years before you ever made a dime. Just so you know, it's a good idea but it doesn't happen over night or even in a year. Good luck with that.
thanks for your post. You truly have to know what goes into making a latte: 1 cup, 1 lid, 1 or 2 straws, possibly a cup sleeve, 2 shots of espresso or more, flavor if wanted, milk depending on what kind, all blended by a person to perfection. that all costs money, thats why its more expensive than mcdonalds ground coffee and water which also cannot be comparable to a great handcrafted latte made just the way you want it. If you dont like lattes then you will want drip coffee which we will offer as well for cheaper, but if you go to an espresso stand wanting to get a latte or mocha for the price of a mcdonalds drip coffee then you wont want to get one, but your post is definitely one to think about and is important to us and we thank you.

Chance & Sam
Sure

Horse Cave, KY

#22 Apr 21, 2009
I don't like Starbucks (too bitter), but last time I was there they still pulled their shots. They just have a fully automatic machine. They pull several shots at once because traffic moves through there pretty quickly. That is still different from making the drinks from a mix like Jr Foods. Starbucks still creates espresso based drinks. I don't agree with fully automated or not grinding beans to order, but that's just us. Most semi-automatic machines have at least one button to push. Are you saying you're going to brew totally manually over a burner?

In regards to checking with Glasgow on the bathrooms and such, I'm glad you did. I would suggest to keep checking too, they change based on who you talk to.
thinking

Glasgow, KY

#23 Apr 21, 2009
I'm not saying that yours should be $1 but if you think that two coffee shops in a small town with the exact same prices(too high)and the exact same coffees is going to go over in Glasgow, well that just scares me. I'm a big latte drinker and Sonics is AWESOME, if they can make it for $3 for a large then everyone else can to. All those specialty drinks are delicious but that isn't going to get them people there if the prices are to high. What are you thinking a price on a caramel iced latte would be at your place? By the way McDonalds don't even comapare to Sonics. Most people in this town that are over 40 probably haven't even stepped into a specialty coffee shop. They are stuck on their cup of coffee that is .40 a cup at Minit Mart. This small town doesn't know that kind of stuff like big city people do. Sadly enough its the truth.
My 2 cents

Glasgow, KY

#24 Apr 21, 2009
Sure, there will be some that go there - but enough to support a business? How many $3 cups of coffee (or whatever) need to be solf per day to make a profit?

And I'm sorry, but two of your statements frighten me about your advise on any business plan.

1) "look at starbucks..... they are still doing good." No - they aren't. From Starbucks own web site: "As we announced on July 1, 2008, Starbucks will close approximately 600 company-operated stores in the U.S. beginning this month and continuing through the first half of FY09." and from The Business Review "Starbucks said today it will close 300 more stores and lay off about 6,700 employees as the Seattle-based coffee giant struggles with falling sales and a negative outlook." This is NOT a good sign for the "gourmet" coffee business.

and

2)"and bowling green isn't much different than glasgow" Wow. I don't even know where to begin with that one. They have a bigger population. More people with disposable income. Growing economy. Museums. Galleries. Theatres. A major university. I could go on. They are pretty much the opposite of Glasgow.
Rockstar85 wrote:
with every one saying, no drive thru, you should definitely do a dine in thing. but don't let the ones saying that you won't appeal to those in glasgow with flavored coffee get you down. i am one of those nascar, factory worker, grease monkey, country, simple people. and i may even be under educated. but i still like the "fancy stuff". hot coffee in the winter and fraps in the summer. and if i am really hot 2 or 3 smoothies in a setting. but a drive through would be good for your regular customers in a hurry. sometimes i don't have time on my way to work to come in and sit down. but i do like to sit on the weekends. look at starbucks..... they are still doing good. and bowling green isn't much different than glasgow. don't over price, just to be competitive. the minit mart goers will stay faithful to minite mart, but ones like us will find you, and give you business. if you build it, we will come. and probably bring car loads.
and just think of all the teenagers that will show up. you will need no loitering signs.
Hand Banana

Glasgow, KY

#25 Apr 21, 2009
Here an article you should read. "I opened a charming neighborhood coffee shop. Then it destroyed my life."

http://www.slate.com/id/2132576

To sum the article up its hard to stay in business with a cozy atmosphere. Its hy Starbucks is so successful they markup prices and don't want you hanging out.

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#26 Apr 21, 2009
Turquoise wrote:
It sounds great! I guess it depends upon the location as to how often I'll be able to stop by. Have you decided on a location yet?
As of right now we are shooting for a place around the main Strip.

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#27 Apr 21, 2009
IF we did a sit in location, how would you all feel about the area by Family video on Happy Valley?

IF we did a drive thru we would shoot for somewhere on the main strip. What do you think?

Since: Jan 09

Glasgow, KY

#28 Apr 21, 2009
mr. my two cents. where are you from? i can't be from around here. sure bowling green is bigger, just a bigger version of glasgow. sure they have a bigger population, that just means more people. but even i bowling green the term disposible income doesn't exist anymore. i guess bowling green is different than the rest of the country if you say they have a growing economy. it is in the same situation as glasgow. even though both are still trying to grow, the economy still sucks. glasgow and bowling green are both growing.......toward each other. glasgow has an extention of western kentucky university. we have a theatre, both live and the big screen. and we have the museum thats right off the square. hell, we even sell liquor too. like i said, not much different. but you may be right about starbucks, but glasgow and bowling green, not really.
jel369

Glasgow, KY

#29 Apr 22, 2009
As a person who is on the go a lot, not to mention disabled, so getting out of the car to run into the BP, Minit Mart, Junior Foods stations to wait in line while someone is buying mass quantities of lottery tickets, or cant decide which scratch off they want, well drive up to get a cup of coffee would be great. There are going to be a lot of nay sayers about this, and there are going to be a lot of people who are going to say "Way to go, bout time someone thought of this", it is pretty much a preference thing that the consumer is going to want. I say go for it, bring it on. Cant wait to see it arrive.
thinking

Glasgow, KY

#30 Apr 22, 2009
Most definitely have a drive thru no matter wether you have the sit down cozy atmoshphere or not. Look at it like this. Do you see people around here that are in a hurry more often or more people who have time to go in hang around sit and talk. That will be great for night life but those on the go in the morning for work would love a drive thru most definitely. As far as the location over on Happy Valley I don't even go over there unless I'm getting a movie. I think that is a horrible location. Everybody in this town uses West Main or the Bypass at least once a day if not 2 or 3. Don't just take a location because of cheap rent I think that would be your #1 reason for failure if it was to happen. Pick a CONVENIENT location that will up your sales more than anything.
helping

Glasgow, KY

#31 Apr 22, 2009
maybe you should think about going in with Buckhead. I heard they weren't doing to well maybe they would like to share it with someone to help boost both of your businesses. They have a great atmoshphere already a drive thru already or something like it. Just add a few couches and voi lah!
Business man

Horse Cave, KY

#32 Apr 22, 2009
Look, develop a business plan, talk to several small business owners for advice, and stop fooling with the know it all idiots on Topix. I doubt one person on this besides myself owns and operates a small business. Join the Chamber, attend the small business round table. Learn from those who are successful already.
My 2 cents

Glasgow, KY

#33 Apr 22, 2009
I still disagree.

BG:
Look at the downtown development in BG. A new park. River walk renovation. New recreation center. New justice and police center. New minor league ball park. A 2,000+ seat performing arts center in the works. Brand new HUGE chamber of commerce building. Lots of businesses expanding in BG or locating there. Theatres: WKU Theatre, Capitol Arts Center, Phoenix Theatre, Fountain Square Players, 2 multiplexes. Museums: Corvette Museum, Brims Children's Museum, L&N Depot, KY Museum at WKU, Riverview at Hobson Grove, Shaker Museum.

To say we are the same or even similar economically, artistically, culturally, or demographically is just flat out wrong. I don't say this to bash Glasgow and praise BG. I say it as a truth that needs to be taken into account in a business plan.

GLASGOW:
Downtown - Empty buildings on the square being condemned or sitting empty for DECADES. Grace Halls's closing. The Station closed. Nothing stays open the nights there are major events at the Plaza. Theatre: the Plaza and one multiplex, Far Off Broadway Players. Museums: Cultural Center
Rockstar85 wrote:
mr. my two cents. where are you from? i can't be from around here. sure bowling green is bigger, just a bigger version of glasgow. sure they have a bigger population, that just means more people. but even i bowling green the term disposible income doesn't exist anymore. i guess bowling green is different than the rest of the country if you say they have a growing economy. it is in the same situation as glasgow. even though both are still trying to grow, the economy still sucks. glasgow and bowling green are both growing.......toward each other. glasgow has an extention of western kentucky university. we have a theatre, both live and the big screen. and we have the museum thats right off the square. hell, we even sell liquor too. like i said, not much different. but you may be right about starbucks, but glasgow and bowling green, not really.
wondering

Glasgow, KY

#34 Apr 22, 2009
To "MY 2 CENTS" What is the Brims children's museum? Where is it?
Sure

Horse Cave, KY

#35 Apr 22, 2009
I don't know if people have just looked over my posts or what.

Jel369, I already ran a business like this in town about 8yrs ago. Somebody did already think of this idea.

Business Man, I've given a bunch of advice based on actual experience with this exact business. I would love to help this couple, but they have not responded to my posts or hit me up for info. And I am a successful small business owner of a different kind of business now (for the past 7yrs)

I'm not saying they shouldn't open, I was just relaying our experience. I support anyone that wants to operate their own business.
slim whiteman

Glasgow, KY

#36 Apr 22, 2009
don't know, the way the economy is, high priced coffees and such are one of the things the economist recommend dropping to save money. I know i wouldn't buy a cup there, but some rich folks might. I don't like paying a dollar for coffee or drink expresso or other drinks of that type and I don't think most folks around Glasgow do either. Starbucks has an advantage because you can sit and surf the internet or whatever.

“I'm not bad..”

Since: Aug 08

I'm just drawn that way

#37 Apr 22, 2009
thinking wrote:
Most definitely have a drive thru no matter wether you have the sit down cozy atmoshphere or not. Look at it like this. Do you see people around here that are in a hurry more often or more people who have time to go in hang around sit and talk. That will be great for night life but those on the go in the morning for work would love a drive thru most definitely. As far as the location over on Happy Valley I don't even go over there unless I'm getting a movie. I think that is a horrible location. Everybody in this town uses West Main or the Bypass at least once a day if not 2 or 3. Don't just take a location because of cheap rent I think that would be your #1 reason for failure if it was to happen. Pick a CONVENIENT location that will up your sales more than anything.
i agree about having both and about the location. main and the bypass probably are the biggest routes in/out of glasgow. should also consider how easy the location is to get in and out of.
love ice coffee

Glasgow, KY

#38 Apr 22, 2009
Have you all thought about making sure that you have internet connections. If you want a sit down coffee shop to make it you have to have the internet.

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#39 Apr 22, 2009
Business man wrote:
Look, develop a business plan, talk to several small business owners for advice, and stop fooling with the know it all idiots on Topix. I doubt one person on this besides myself owns and operates a small business. Join the Chamber, attend the small business round table. Learn from those who are successful already.
Thanks for your post. We are working on a business plan right now, and need to join the chamber as well. We do believe however that there is nothing better than listening to our customers and where they would stop to get a latte or smoothie or whatever from us because thats how you make it. Location, location, location, and what better way than to talk to the people who would go there.
Thank you for the advice on joining the chamber.

Chance & Sam

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#40 Apr 22, 2009
love ice coffee wrote:
Have you all thought about making sure that you have internet connections. If you want a sit down coffee shop to make it you have to have the internet.
If we do the sit in Wifi is a MUST! for us, so dont worry about that.
Thank you Chance & Sam

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 2 min 62656sss 1,285
Let's Ditch Mitch 6 min Reader 8
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 13 min Curious 130,470
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 27 min Anne52 81,595
NO LICENSE TAG on VEHICLE 41 min James 28
Alison Grimes is Bad for Kentucky & America! 53 min Jan 48
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Nutz 151,117
very unhappy customer 1 hr Know about it 4
jason alexander (Sep '08) 11 hr Helloooooo Jerry 29
Who has the biggest d*ck in barren county 22 hr Truth 34