First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Smo

“Eternal Love Connquers All!”

Since: Dec 07

Glasgow, KY

#1 Apr 20, 2009
My Husband and I are working on a business plan for a coffee shop in the area. We will be making espresso based drinks such as Mochas, Lattes, Frappes(Blended drinks),Americanos,Milkshakes, fresh fruit Smoothies and some baked goods such as muffins, biscotti, donuts, scones, etc. We are NOT a Starbucks, for we will be making the drinks with a more traditional method and a homemade touch. This will be a drive thru with no sit in. Please let us know how you feel about this. Include any suggestions,your occupation, and how many times a week you would stop by. We thank you for your participation.

Chance & Sam Collins
Turquoise

Cave City, KY

#2 Apr 20, 2009
It sounds great! I guess it depends upon the location as to how often I'll be able to stop by. Have you decided on a location yet?
Sure

Glasgow, KY

#3 Apr 20, 2009
Speaking from experience having operated this same type of business in Glasgow, the very first thing I would do is contact the health department and get the requirements. They are not very friendly to businesses like this in Glasgow. There are special things to consider depending on how you set up. Will it be a mobile or permanent location? If mobile, then it can only stay in one location for a certian amount of time per month. You'll have to have several locations to move around to. This impacts how the regular customers are able to locate you. If it is a permanent location, you will have to have a bathroom in the building, aproved by the HD of course. Regardless of mobile of permanent, all plumbing, sinks, drains, counters, surface coverings, etc will have to be approved by the HD. If you have tables outside that seat more than 5 people (I think, might be wrong on that #), you'll have to have a public restroom for the customers. Even the type of toilet has to be approved and is a specific type. If you're thinking you could run this out of one of those snow cone setups, they won't allow it. Milk is considered a hazardous material. You could sell all the nachos, hot dogs and pop you'd like. But try to sell snything with milk in it and you're in a whole different category in regards to restrictions. Also, you'll need to carry liabilty insurance in case someone sues you because they burn themselves on hot coffee.

It's not an impossible thing to do in Glasgow, but they really do make it difficult on the business owner. Also, unless you are really financially secure, I would crunch all of the numbers really hard. This type of business is considered a "luxury". These are the things people cut out of their budgets first when the economy is bad. The only thing that keeps a lot of coffe shops open is the lounge atmosphere, internet access, live music, etc. One last thought, McDonald's, Sonic, and JR Foods all sell their versions of coffe based beverages. You will find the majority of Glasgow thinks these are great and like the prices even better. It doesn't matter to the average person in Glasgow that those drinks do not even contain real espresso. there are some that appreciate the real thing, but most will settle for the imitation. I know our regulars still beg us to open back up when they see us and we have been gone for over 6 yrs now.

I wish you the best,Good Luck to you.

Since: Jan 09

Glasgow, KY

#4 Apr 20, 2009
well, if you open up a coffee shop then remember who pays your bills. don't tell people they aren't welcome to sit there and enjoy the drink as well as the atmosphere, like the owners of electric beach do. they don't like people with tattoo and piercings in their shop. even though pierced and tattooed people are some of their best customers. realize that those kinds of people like coffee too.

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#5 Apr 21, 2009
Turquoise wrote:
It sounds great! I guess it depends upon the location as to how often I'll be able to stop by. Have you decided on a location yet?
We havent quite yet but we will let you all know once we get more specs, thank you!!

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#6 Apr 21, 2009
Rockstar85 wrote:
well, if you open up a coffee shop then remember who pays your bills. don't tell people they aren't welcome to sit there and enjoy the drink as well as the atmosphere, like the owners of electric beach do. they don't like people with tattoo and piercings in their shop. even though pierced and tattooed people are some of their best customers. realize that those kinds of people like coffee too.
We completely agree and know how it feels to be treated that way and its not right. My husband is a heavy metal drummer and thats all he listens to, So your in good hands...or your coffee is!!
Thank you for posting.
really now

Glasgow, KY

#7 Apr 21, 2009
I absolutely love this kind of coffee but will not pay anything above $3.50 for a latte. If yours don't taste anything like sonics iced caramel latte's that I can get a large for 3.17 then I will not stop. Theres are the best in town and to get me to come to yours and prove me wrong do NOT price your coffee high. My main reason for even trying sonics the first time was not hear say but PRICE. EB has the same iced coffee and it is good but I can't afford theres because I buy them too often (way to often). Why pay $5 for the same coffee that is $3 down the road. PRICE is very important to people around here. I hear it to often that people would go to EB to get their coffee but they just can't afford it. Your business sounds great if you will keep the prices DOWN but I would not even consider it if your cost are already at $5 for any kind. You have to remember that EB has tanning beds backing them up.
My 2 cents

Glasgow, KY

#8 Apr 21, 2009
Glasgow isn't going to support a drive thru coffee shop. Those that want the convenience of drive thru are going to stick to fast food OR stop at the local minit mart for their coffee.

Glasgow is all about rural, country, under educated, Nascar, agricultural, factor worker, simple people. I'm not saying that as a put down. I'm saying it as a demographic fact. The majority of the population (which you need to appeal to) aren't going to get into "fancy" coffees. And those that might, aren't going to want to unless it has a seating area.
aww now

Glasgow, KY

#9 Apr 21, 2009
coffee yuk!!!!!
Jean

Munfordville, KY

#10 Apr 21, 2009
Think about what's happening to Starbucks. Yours won't be like them but its still coffee. McDonalds when it's fresh it $1.00 and its good. I like coffee, about the only thing I drink. But I like the plain old stuff.
I love to bake, and scones are my specialty. Hope it goes over good.

“I'm not bad..”

Since: Aug 08

I'm just drawn that way

#11 Apr 21, 2009
I would love for a coffee shop to open here and have thought many times about doing it but I would much rather prefer a place to sit and relax, read a book, etc. Maybe you could do different "gimmicks" on different nights- like a poets night, singles night, etc. to keep things interesting enough to have a lounge. Not sure I would visit a drive through as often as I would a sit in. Good luck.
bad idea

Glasgow, KY

#12 Apr 21, 2009
drive thru only bad idea prefer a sit down place too dont like coffee sell hot choc for me like it winter or summer and a big donut dripping with choc icing get with Jean sell some scones what ever they are
really now

Glasgow, KY

#13 Apr 21, 2009
i'm not sure about the sit down thing or just drive by. i mean how many people just want a cup of coffee and want to go on with their business. If you have to get out and go in and stand in line I believe would shut a lot of people out. The way it looks maybe you should have both is that possible or to expensive. It would be kind of neat for a place that might would have some couches and if you want to go in and get a coffee and just read a book might would go over but it can't be generic. If you made it have the atmoshphere of Buckhead instead of tables have couches and some tables and sale your coffee and scones it would be neat and I would visit there with my friends but if you make it generic then noones going to come. As far as location thats a stumbler because i think something like that would go over good next to the glasgow college campus to get all the students in there between classes. As far as around the square that would be good to to get the people from work on there lunch hour. You have to make it a really cool atmosphere for people to want to come in there and lounge though anything less just want make it.?????????

Since: Jan 09

Glasgow, KY

#14 Apr 21, 2009
with every one saying, no drive thru, you should definitely do a dine in thing. but don't let the ones saying that you won't appeal to those in glasgow with flavored coffee get you down. i am one of those nascar, factory worker, grease monkey, country, simple people. and i may even be under educated. but i still like the "fancy stuff". hot coffee in the winter and fraps in the summer. and if i am really hot 2 or 3 smoothies in a setting. but a drive through would be good for your regular customers in a hurry. sometimes i don't have time on my way to work to come in and sit down. but i do like to sit on the weekends. look at starbucks..... they are still doing good. and bowling green isn't much different than glasgow. don't over price, just to be competitive. the minit mart goers will stay faithful to minite mart, but ones like us will find you, and give you business. if you build it, we will come. and probably bring car loads.

and just think of all the teenagers that will show up. you will need no loitering signs.

“I'm not bad..”

Since: Aug 08

I'm just drawn that way

#15 Apr 21, 2009
Rockstar85 wrote:
with every one saying, no drive thru, you should definitely do a dine in thing. but don't let the ones saying that you won't appeal to those in glasgow with flavored coffee get you down. i am one of those nascar, factory worker, grease monkey, country, simple people. and i may even be under educated. but i still like the "fancy stuff". hot coffee in the winter and fraps in the summer. and if i am really hot 2 or 3 smoothies in a setting. but a drive through would be good for your regular customers in a hurry. sometimes i don't have time on my way to work to come in and sit down. but i do like to sit on the weekends. look at starbucks..... they are still doing good. and bowling green isn't much different than glasgow. don't over price, just to be competitive. the minit mart goers will stay faithful to minite mart, but ones like us will find you, and give you business. if you build it, we will come. and probably bring car loads.
and just think of all the teenagers that will show up. you will need no loitering signs.
strongly agree!
thinking

Glasgow, KY

#16 Apr 21, 2009
To "Smo" are you all thinking anything about having a sit down place or are you just going to do a drive thru? I think that would shorten up some of our questions. Also, where are you thinking on location?

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#17 Apr 21, 2009
thinking wrote:
To "Smo" are you all thinking anything about having a sit down place or are you just going to do a drive thru? I think that would shorten up some of our questions. Also, where are you thinking on location?
WE WANT TO WRITE BIG FOR ALL TO SEE BECAUSE THIS SEEMS TO BE A HOT TOPIC AND A REALLY GOOD QUESTION. THE SIT DOWN OPTION IS TOUGH BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A BIGGER PLACE, AND WHAT WE FOUND OUT TODAY IS THAT GLASGOW RECENTLY CHANGED THE LAWS ON BATHROOMS. IF WE HAVE JUST ONE SEAT FOR A CUSTOMER WE LEGALLY HAVE TO HAVE TWO BATHROOMS!! ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD BUT JUST ANOTHER OBSTACLE AND MORE SPACE WE WILL NEED, NOT THAT ANY OF YOU ARENT WORTH IT!! WE ARE STILL DOING A LOT OF WORK ON THIS AND YOUR INPUT IS AWESOME! THANK YOU

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#18 Apr 21, 2009
bad idea wrote:
drive thru only bad idea prefer a sit down place too dont like coffee sell hot choc for me like it winter or summer and a big donut dripping with choc icing get with Jean sell some scones what ever they are
We will sell tons of different drinks with tons of different flavors. We'll have good variety. thanks for posting!!
haha

Glasgow, KY

#19 Apr 21, 2009
Well, I hope you have lots of money. If you're going to start a coffee shop selling 3 and 4 dollar coffee, remember that mcdonalds will always be cheaper. You would have to market the heck out of it and be able to go in the hole about two years before you ever made a dime. Just so you know, it's a good idea but it doesn't happen over night or even in a year. Good luck with that.

Smo

Glasgow, KY

#20 Apr 21, 2009
Jean wrote:
Think about what's happening to Starbucks. Yours won't be like them but its still coffee. McDonalds when it's fresh it $1.00 and its good. I like coffee, about the only thing I drink. But I like the plain old stuff.
I love to bake, and scones are my specialty. Hope it goes over good.
Thank you Jean for your post. We do not like starbucks because pushing a button is not making a latte or mocha, any barista will tell you this. Its like a secret code among ma and pa espresso stations. These will be handmade quality espresso drinks and we will offer drip coffee as well. I personally guarantee we will easily beat that price of a cup of joe, no problem. We would love to get your business and prove ourselves to your needs.

Thank-you

Chance & Sam

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min CriminalForever 153,736
Word Association (Jun '08) 21 min _Zoey_ 5,414
Another Word Game. (Nov '08) 21 min _Zoey_ 2,621
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '15) 22 min _Zoey_ 681
wet or dry 39 min results 28
A Little Taste of No Liquor 58 min Letus 4
Family's of barren county 2 hr test 36

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages