Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 150014 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#86105 Aug 23, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you LIE? Show on my posts where I say evolution or the bible is true, you are a liar.
Yer right...
you stated it this way...
"LOL in a suit wrote:

<quoted text>Being an atheist does not require a person(me) to give a hoot about evolution. Atheism does not require a person(me) to care about or know how life and the universe began. There is enough right here on earth at present time to keep a person(me) busy, with that being said.....In science, a theory is not a "guess" or a "wild guess", a theory is a well supported and a well documented explanation of what we observe. "

So... do you think they might have that Theory wrong?
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#86106 Aug 23, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
If close was acceptable the Mars robot would have crashed,burned up or missed mars completely. I think it had to be perfect to be sucessful landing.
The same analogy seems to apply to your Gods acceptance of worship.
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matt 5:48
Yes, and that is our desire, and what we strive for!
I am not perfect yet, but way better than what I was...
Thank God!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#86107 Aug 23, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Wings of a Dove is about to have to repudiate all denominations and cults as such, and go through the world individual by individual, if he is to find any who follow a decent view of wwjd.
So...
Agnostic/soft atheist....
WWJD?
How do you reconcile Jesus stating God (Our Father in Heaven)
is real?

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#86108 Aug 23, 2012
curious wrote:
<quoted text>It is a teaching of what is going to come, To live your life in harmony, with love, honor, respect, joy, kindness, everything GOOD. Our children should be taught by parents first, raised with the morals they need in life. Putting the 10 commandments back up in school, I don't see as a problem. Would you want your child to kill someone? Steal? cheat? to not love and honor their parents? To be cruel in any way? If you are a parent and love your child, I know you wouldn't.
If you want to teach your children everything GOOD and do not want them to cheat or steal, or kill then keep them away from the christian cult. The christian cult believes they have a right to kill.
My morals are better than any christians because we do not murder.
How can you say christians are good with all of the hate they have?

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#86109 Aug 23, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>So...
Agnostic/soft atheist....
WWJD?
How do you reconcile Jesus stating God (Our Father in Heaven)
is real?
Do you have proof that jesus said that?
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#86111 Aug 23, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
Is the GOP the party of anti-science?
Rep. Todd Akin made news this weekend by announcing that pregnancy from "legitimate rape" is rare. He further argued that physicians had told him that women who were traumatized in such a way had biological things happen in their bodies to "shut down" the "whole thing" so that fertilization won't occur
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/opinion/carroll...
What he said, wasn't all that bad... Look at Biden!
No, it's more of missinformation on his part, and we do know...
A LOT of rapes are just people being caught in the act!
In fact... IF Abortions are limited to rapes...
We'll see more "Illegitimate" rapes on the books,
as well as mothers in distress! Lies!
Go figure!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#86112 Aug 23, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
The GOP theocracy will ban birth control if they can. Back to the O.T. where women are second class citizens. Ryan and Romney will lie and spin this issue to get elected.
It will not stop there. Gop will say b.s. to get the seniors and hispanics to vote for them.
Romney even admitted he will say whatever he has to be expediently successful politically.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/...
What a CROCK!
Thank God... We will NOT mutilate the Constitution like the liberals did!
Blessed is the Nation, Who's God is the Lord!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#86113 Aug 23, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a ignorant idea but it's a long held one... Akins is far from the first to think so... Many well noted scientist of the past thought it also...
As far as Legitimate Rape... I don't actually see the issue... If a girl has sex and then later claims she was raped (I know of many cases) then her claims of rape are not Legitimate... After hearing what he stated several times that is what he said... Now in a Legitimate Rape (as opposed to claim of rape that was in fact consensual) he is far from a Scientist and as I said there have been several scientific writings making that point...
From the "The Week"
How long has this no-pregnancy-in-rape theory been around?
"The idea that rape victims cannot get pregnant has long roots," says Vanessa Heggie at Britain's The Guardian. Think 13th century. One of the earliest British legal texts — Fleta, from about 1290 — has this familiar-sounding clause: "If, however, the woman should have conceived at the time alleged in the appeal, it abates, for without a woman's consent she could not conceive." Samuel Farr's Elements of Medical Jurisprudence, a treatise from 1785 (second edition 1814), elaborates: "For without an excitation of lust, or the enjoyment of pleasure in the venereal act, no conception can probably take place. So that if an absolute rape were to be perpetrated, it is not likely she would become pregnant."
What's the medical underpinning of this theory?
From medieval times until the 19th century, doctors and laypeople alike widely believed that women only conceived if they had an orgasm, since the presumed female "seed" — needed to complement the male sperm to achieve pregnancy — was thought be secreted only during sexual climax. "By logical extension, then," says Heggie, "if a woman became pregnant, she must have experienced orgasm, and therefore could not have been the victim of an 'absolute rape'."
Great post!
I've seen a video of the cervex helping the spern enter the uterus
through excitation... If one is truly raped... I don't think it would be excited? or would it?
trusted

New Haven, KY

#86114 Aug 23, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
through excitation... If one is truly raped... I don't think it would be excited? or would it?
Okay you guys, here is one from a womans point... Rape is rape for any one no matter, if excited or not. Okay just because I get raped and I dont become pregant, is it still not rape? Let's change it to your wife, or your daughter, grandaughter, or so on, if they are rapped , do you really care if her cervix, helped the sperm through excitation? No I think not ,you are just going to want to kill the sorry thing that did it. Just because I take a potty break does not mean I am still not full of it!!! If I push my finger into a balloon , it does not mean that it will burst , but only expand , to adjust... Dont assume anything unless you have been were a rape victim has. Sorry guys just a woman thang. Bring on the hate...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#86115 Aug 23, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> yes, but are you kidding seems smarter and nicer than the bible. lots of Christians do, once you find out their humane views. I do not see how they can make much improvement in Christian doctrine without actually repudiating the essential parts of it, but I wish them good luck in trying to improve it (meaning by implication that I hope they repudiate many of the worst parts of it, however essential to the fundamentals of the religion). same with other religions.
I agree. My problem with religion is, it seems to keep holding back smart, good people all to often. They all to often cling to doctrine that will not allow them to progress.
If religion was more malleable, it would likely not be so bad. But you cannot just change the bible, so we are stuck with barbaric ideals for as long as people believe it is the word of god.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#86116 Aug 23, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
"I don't think..." you say.
You would be 100% correct. YOU DON"T.

No matter how repulsive and degrading the MIND finds being raped, the BODY responds automatically to stimuli.
This is a natural reaction but one that raped women feel shamed by, as if their bodies betrayed them.
The body is driven to replicate its genes, caring nothing for who is contributing the sperm. Survival of the species.

If the body could choose when to get pregnant, only women "in love" would have babies.
Is this reality? No. Far from it.

Quite honestly I don't think men EVER think a woman is "truly raped."
They believe in their heart of hearts that every female on the planet is breathlessly awaiting their p3nis, no matter what she says (like "NO!").
And that is truly disgusting and incredibly sad.

I will say it again....
A man should have NO voice in what a woman does with her own body.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#86117 Aug 23, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yer right...
I know...
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Being an atheist does not require a person(me) to give a hoot about evolution. Atheism does not require a person(me) to care about or know how life and the universe began. There is enough right here on earth at present time to keep a person(me) busy, with that being said.....In science, a theory is not a "guess" or a "wild guess", a theory is a well supported and a well documented explanation of what we observe."
I think that post was to "defender" who called evolution a wild guess, it is a theory not a wild guess. You christians know what a wild guess is but do not seem to get what a thoery is.
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>So... do you think they might have that Theory wrong?
I think that new facts and evidence will emerge that could change the theory some. I am sorry that I can not answer your question more decisively but I do not care how we or the universe was created, there is more interesting things here today and of course theres tomorrow, the future of the human race is more important.

I am atheist, that means I do not think mythology is real, it does not mean I care about how we got here.

The heavens are open to all who wonder,
The earth is for all to behold.
Its beauty has no extent,
Nor does man know the reason.
But yet he lives on and wonders,
Why.

“There is no god.”

USA

#86118 Aug 23, 2012
trusted wrote:
<quoted text>Okay you guys, here is one from a womans point... Rape is rape for any one no matter, if excited or not. Okay just because I get raped and I dont become pregant, is it still not rape? Let's change it to your wife, or your daughter, grandaughter, or so on, if they are rapped , do you really care if her cervix, helped the sperm through excitation? No I think not ,you are just going to want to kill the sorry thing that did it. Just because I take a potty break does not mean I am still not full of it!!! If I push my finger into a balloon , it does not mean that it will burst , but only expand , to adjust... Dont assume anything unless you have been were a rape victim has. Sorry guys just a woman thang. Bring on the hate...
I agree rape should not be tolerated, the man or woman that commits such an act should be shot. Thats my hate of rapists showing.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#86119 Aug 23, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> thank you for your interesting reply. I am trying to catch up with lots of people and pages, but your comments are encouraging - about getting people to start doubting. I assume you were raised religious, but do not know whether it was with a rightwing version. I think you would have a better idea of what can help people see through their indoctrination - because of what you seem to have gone through.
My father is very right wing. He did not really talk about politics with me, so I cannot say I was indoctrinated to the right wing.
When I was young, I do remember having some right wing ideals though. Nothing extreme but enough to see I did get some of the ideas from my father.

“There is no god.”

USA

#86120 Aug 23, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have proof that jesus said that?
No, there is not even a thoery, nothing to back it up but a book, o my, I forgot there is faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#86121 Aug 23, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a ignorant idea but it's a long held one... Akins is far from the first to think so... Many well noted scientist of the past thought it also...
As far as Legitimate Rape... I don't actually see the issue... If a girl has sex and then later claims she was raped (I know of many cases) then her claims of rape are not Legitimate... After hearing what he stated several times that is what he said... Now in a Legitimate Rape (as opposed to claim of rape that was in fact consensual) he is far from a Scientist and as I said there have been several scientific writings making that point...
"
Note, Akin apologized for his statement but made zero clarifications. I agree that he likely meant many rapes may be of false claims. But interesting he did not have the balls to clarify that.
Mitt and Ryan will not address it either. They just keep repeating "rape is rape" like a robot.

The official republican agenda is to make conception the moment one has all constitutional rights. This means that abortion should not be legal in the case of rape, incest or health of the mother issues.
The Akin types worry if rape is an exception for abortion, all will claim they were raped to get an abortion.

I say, this is all the more reason there be no restrictions on abortion.

“There is no god.”

USA

#86122 Aug 23, 2012
*theory*

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#86123 Aug 23, 2012
curious wrote:
<quoted text>It is a teaching of what is going to come, To live your life in harmony, with love, honor, respect, joy, kindness, everything GOOD. Our children should be taught by parents first, raised with the morals they need in life. Putting the 10 commandments back up in school, I don't see as a problem. Would you want your child to kill someone? Steal? cheat? to not love and honor their parents? To be cruel in any way? If you are a parent and love your child, I know you wouldn't.
If your kid is going to kill, steal or cheat, the commandments likely are not something that will change that.
The commandments have many more things in it that are against freedoms of American policy.
Look at the first four commandments. None of these are constitutional for the government to ask or demand of its citizens. This is why they are not law. Worshiping on the Sabbath is not law. It is a choice you can make and government has no authority to tell you it is what should be done. Thus for public schools to put such commands up is anti freedom.

And the commandments do not mention cheating.

If you have to look up the first four commandments, you have zero room to ask government to post them. Most churches do not even post them.

Tell me truthfully, are the commandments posted in your church? If so, is it prominent?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#86124 Aug 23, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"Your supposed god does not present itself"
He did to me!
"I would not take you word on where the bus stop is"
That's yer problem!
Ok, so you feel he presented himself to you, but he did not do so to us. So why expect us to believe? You keep calling us stupid for not believing. But no god has presented himself to us.
Then you claim we do not ask, but did you? According to your story, you did not.

If you wish to believe, then do so, but you are taking it way beyond belief, you are insisting we also believe.

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86125 Aug 23, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually No you cannot go through normal channels when those normal channels are under the control of that which you seek... If not for the two guys in News Media Nixon would never have resigned... We would have never known of Water gate... Just as right now we have no idea who leaked classified information about covert operations in Iran and Pakistan that has caused the lost of operatives... We have no idea who ordered the shipping of 2400 weapons to Mexico that has caused the deaths of over 400 Mexican Nationals and at least 2 American agents... And with much of the press getting shivers up their legs a bit of Abnormal Channels might be what is necessary...
You have brought up some good points Q. Even now those who are turn down for social security benefits and VA benefits by using the government normal channels have to lawyer up to fight to get what they feel is a fair shake.

I think both side of the senate and congress have their agenda and are somewhat corrupt also, why else would you have insider trading.

So you were across the pond, what was your mos in the army? Did you get sprayed with agent orange. Navy guys had contact with AO were being turned down for benefits because of not having boots on the ground there in Nam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Body found green river 3 min It is me 65
Kristen Edwards of Barren County 17 min Derby City 14
any 20 ish single girls lookin to party tonight (Dec '08) 47 min Joseph 2
Hidden Lake Apartments (Jan '09) 2 hr joey stinkerton 19
Akabono 3rd shift 3 hr Looking 6
Hitlary 4 hr Trump 36
Brandie Runyon do not delete 4 hr Jake form State... 7

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance