Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 147244 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#86088 Aug 22, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
Is the GOP the party of anti-science?
Rep. Todd Akin made news this weekend by announcing that pregnancy from "legitimate rape" is rare. He further argued that physicians had told him that women who were traumatized in such a way had biological things happen in their bodies to "shut down" the "whole thing" so that fertilization won't occur
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/opinion/carroll...
Such appalling ignorance from an elected member of our government.
ANY woman who votes for this a$$hole should have her head examined.
(And honestly, any MAN also.)

And look.... http://www.examiner.com/article/kirk-cameron-...

Kirk "look how wonderfully god made bananas peel" Cameron is DEFENDING the idiot.

The fundies may be right. If the end isn't near, it should be.

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86089 Aug 22, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Kirk "look how wonderfully god made bananas peel" Cameron is DEFENDING the idiot.
The GOP theocracy will ban birth control if they can. Back to the O.T. where women are second class citizens. Ryan and Romney will lie and spin this issue to get elected.

It will not stop there. Gop will say b.s. to get the seniors and hispanics to vote for them.

Romney even admitted he will say whatever he has to be expediently successful politically.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#86090 Aug 22, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a ignorant idea but it's a long held one... Akins is far from the first to think so... Many well noted scientist of the past thought it also...

As far as Legitimate Rape... I don't actually see the issue... If a girl has sex and then later claims she was raped (I know of many cases) then her claims of rape are not Legitimate... After hearing what he stated several times that is what he said... Now in a Legitimate Rape (as opposed to claim of rape that was in fact consensual) he is far from a Scientist and as I said there have been several scientific writings making that point...

From the "The Week"

How long has this no-pregnancy-in-rape theory been around?
"The idea that rape victims cannot get pregnant has long roots," says Vanessa Heggie at Britain's The Guardian. Think 13th century. One of the earliest British legal texts — Fleta, from about 1290 — has this familiar-sounding clause: "If, however, the woman should have conceived at the time alleged in the appeal, it abates, for without a woman's consent she could not conceive." Samuel Farr's Elements of Medical Jurisprudence, a treatise from 1785 (second edition 1814), elaborates: "For without an excitation of lust, or the enjoyment of pleasure in the venereal act, no conception can probably take place. So that if an absolute rape were to be perpetrated, it is not likely she would become pregnant."

What's the medical underpinning of this theory?
From medieval times until the 19th century, doctors and laypeople alike widely believed that women only conceived if they had an orgasm, since the presumed female "seed" — needed to complement the male sperm to achieve pregnancy — was thought be secreted only during sexual climax. "By logical extension, then," says Heggie, "if a woman became pregnant, she must have experienced orgasm, and therefore could not have been the victim of an 'absolute rape'."

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86091 Aug 22, 2012
Tom Head, Texas Judge: Obama Reelection Could Lead To 'Civil War,' I'm Ready To 'Take Up Arms'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/tom-...

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86092 Aug 22, 2012
Republican Rep. Mike Coffman saying about President Barack Obama that "in his heart, he's not an American,"

Congressman Mike Coffman sounds like a prisoner of war reeling off his name, rank and serial number in an interview with 9News about his comments on President Obama only Coffman’s answer to every question is,“I stand by my statement that I misspoke, and I apologize.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2012/05/2...

Manchester, KY

#86093 Aug 22, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
Republican Rep. Mike Coffman saying about President Barack Obama that "in his heart, he's not an American,"
Congressman Mike Coffman sounds like a prisoner of war reeling off his name, rank and serial number in an interview with 9News about his comments on President Obama only Coffman’s answer to every question is,“I stand by my statement that I misspoke, and I apologize.”
http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2012/05/2...
http://youtu.be/gRbqMGtvQD0
http://youtu.be/-G1OT5gzb48
http://youtu.be/hfLsSg9wZlE

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86094 Aug 22, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
Have you reported this evidence to the FBI,your congressman and received a response yet?
wronged

Morgantown, KY

#86095 Aug 22, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> you may be new to topix, so please hit the reply button so we know what commenter you reply to. also be warned that yes and amen is a very obscene person, and very insulting and nasty. not someone to be an ally of, if you use decent language and are civil.
I think your question about once saved always saved is interesting. what is your opinion about that? seems to me one good thing about religion would be to scare people into behaving decently and not hurting others. but once saved always saved seems to undermine that, especially if all one has to do to get saved is to believe in some particular doctrine.
I am sure none of us are what we seem. Really on here for sure. I dont feel as though , once saved always saved. I have family that do feel this way , but for some reason , I just cant think , that no matter what you do , your going to heaven, without asking to be forgiven. I maybe wrong , but after all who am I burning but myself , if I am.

Manchester, KY

#86096 Aug 22, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you reported this evidence to the FBI,your congressman and received a response yet?
The documentary will be showing at 1000's of theaters across the US next week... They all can get their own damn tickets!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#86097 Aug 22, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
Interesting that you suddenly believe a Creationist (D'souza)is a reliable source of information - especially when he is a conspiracy theorist nutcase.
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#86098 Aug 22, 2012
I'll sing you a song of the world and its ways
And the many strange people you meet
From the rich man who's rolled in his millions of gold
To the poor struggling wretch on the street
But a man tho' he's poor and in tatters and rags
We should never affect to despise
But think of the adage remember my friends
That six feet of earth makes us all of one size

There's the rich man with thousands to spare if he likes
But he haughtily holds up his head
And who thinks he's above the mechanic who toils
And is honestly earning his bread
But his gold and his jewels he can't take away
To the world up above when he dies
For death levels all and conclusively shows
That six feet of earth makes us all of one size

There's many a coat that is tatter'd and torn,
That beneath lies a true honest heart
But because he's not dressed like his neighbors in style,
Why "society" keeps them apart;
For on one fortune smiles, while the other one fails,
Yes no matter what venture he tries,
But time calls them both to the grave in the end
And six feet of earth makes us all of one size

Then when you once see a poor fellow that tries,
To baffle the world and its frown,
Let us help him along and perhaps he'll succeed
Don't crush him because he is down,
For a cup of cold water for charity's sake,
Is remembered with joy in the skies,
We're all of us human, we've all got to die,
And six feet of earth makes us all of one size

Manchester, KY

#86099 Aug 22, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that you suddenly believe a Creationist (D'souza)is a reliable source of information - especially when he is a conspiracy theorist nutcase.
Unlike many I am not governed by dogma.. I have no concern as to evidential sources only to the evidence presented... I make my own opinion based on such evidence.. I have absolutely no concern of the film makers belief systems or views... I take the data presented and ignore the conclusions... In this film the words of the President, His writings, and his policies are stated.... His family is questioned and answers given...

I would do the same if Einstein presented a position, if Hitler presented data and position... I would ignore the Conclusions and Claims but consider the Verifiable Evidence presented and form my own conclusions as to what it means...

Now instead of attacking the Messenger if you would like to attack the Presidents own words and the other Specific items of evidence the Messenger provides that is a different story...

From what I have seen I come to many of the same conclusions the film maker does based on the Content in what I have seen so far and I could care less if the presenter of the content was a crazed Muslim zealot, a Atheist, A Born Again Christian or a PHD'ed Physicist....

If I only excepted data by those that think as I think, Only from those I agree with, then I could never call myself Objective... Which I do...

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86100 Aug 22, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
The documentary will be showing at 1000's of theaters across the US next week... They all can get their own damn tickets!
So the republicans cannot go thru normal channels to produce evidence that could not be rejected by the FBI,CIA and Home Land Security to have obama arrested and throw out of office.

It could be that the documentary is selling snake oil to get rich off extremist and republicans. It may cause unstable persons to take the law in their own hands thinking this is a divine message being communicated by a messager of God.

A sign that armageddon is near and that christians are going back to a theocratic government and all others must submit,repent or be staked like vampires.

Manchester, KY

#86101 Aug 22, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
So the republicans cannot go thru normal channels to produce evidence that could not be rejected by the FBI,CIA and Home Land Security to have obama arrested and throw out of office.
It could be that the documentary is selling snake oil to get rich off extremist and republicans. It may cause unstable persons to take the law in their own hands thinking this is a divine message being communicated by a messager of God.
A sign that armageddon is near and that christians are going back to a theocratic government and all others must submit,repent or be staked like vampires.
Actually No you cannot go through normal channels when those normal channels are under the control of that which you seek... If not for the two guys in News Media Nixon would never have resigned... We would have never known of Water gate... Just as right now we have no idea who leaked classified information about covert operations in Iran and Pakistan that has caused the lost of operatives... We have no idea who ordered the shipping of 2400 weapons to Mexico that has caused the deaths of over 400 Mexican Nationals and at least 2 American agents... And with much of the press getting shivers up their legs a bit of Abnormal Channels might be what is necessary...
curious

Clay City, KY

#86102 Aug 23, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> respect for persons, and for other living creatures. not respect for Authority as such. sometimes people want more because they did not get what they really needed as children - they need love and belonging and security and happiness. that was not necessarily what they got in the good old days. it would be a matter of family by family,. even parent by parent, whether they got the love and good example and good life they needed as children. a religion teaching hellfire is not part of love or a good life.
It is a teaching of what is going to come, To live your life in harmony, with love, honor, respect, joy, kindness, everything GOOD. Our children should be taught by parents first, raised with the morals they need in life. Putting the 10 commandments back up in school, I don't see as a problem. Would you want your child to kill someone? Steal? cheat? to not love and honor their parents? To be cruel in any way? If you are a parent and love your child, I know you wouldn't.
Yes and Amen

Clay City, KY

#86103 Aug 23, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>How can a god that does not exist force himself upon anyone?
Thing is, if a god did exist, it would be reasonable to expect it to present itself for us to decide if we want to follow its demands. Your supposed god does not present itself for us to make a choice. You just expect us to take your word for it. Thing is, I would not take you word on where the bus stop is.
You may think it is reasonable for your god to hide, but we do not. Thus we do not see the god as a real possibility.
"Your supposed god does not present itself"
He did to me!
"I would not take you word on where the bus stop is"
That's yer problem!
Yes and Amen

Clay City, KY

#86104 Aug 23, 2012
derp wrote:
'Yes and Amen' makes Christians look awful, and stupid. & you've been posting ITT for thousands of pages, just how insecure are you about your religion, that you have to defend it THAT much? Your posts and entire arguments are full of logical fallacies-someone can make a well, thought-out post with sources and logical observations-you respond like a 12 year old autistic child saying "nope, you're wrong!!!!".
Honestly, it terrifies me that people like 'Yes and Amen' are going to repopulate this planet.
Believe whatever you want!
I do find it interesting that only God haters think like you...
Oh, I know you do not Believe in God, so how can you hate Him?
Truly, He is as real as your Mother...
Yes and Amen

Clay City, KY

#86105 Aug 23, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you LIE? Show on my posts where I say evolution or the bible is true, you are a liar.
Yer right...
you stated it this way...
"LOL in a suit wrote:

<quoted text>Being an atheist does not require a person(me) to give a hoot about evolution. Atheism does not require a person(me) to care about or know how life and the universe began. There is enough right here on earth at present time to keep a person(me) busy, with that being said.....In science, a theory is not a "guess" or a "wild guess", a theory is a well supported and a well documented explanation of what we observe. "

So... do you think they might have that Theory wrong?
Yes and Amen

Clay City, KY

#86106 Aug 23, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
If close was acceptable the Mars robot would have crashed,burned up or missed mars completely. I think it had to be perfect to be sucessful landing.
The same analogy seems to apply to your Gods acceptance of worship.
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matt 5:48
Yes, and that is our desire, and what we strive for!
I am not perfect yet, but way better than what I was...
Thank God!
Yes and Amen

Clay City, KY

#86107 Aug 23, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> Wings of a Dove is about to have to repudiate all denominations and cults as such, and go through the world individual by individual, if he is to find any who follow a decent view of wwjd.
So...
Agnostic/soft atheist....
WWJD?
How do you reconcile Jesus stating God (Our Father in Heaven)
is real?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jokes 2 hr Bill 1
News Body of missing Kentucky 2-year-old found in well (Jun '15) 3 hr NoRestForTheWicked 13
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' 5 hr Forrest 217
My daughter wants to be a boy 5 hr Joe 8
Josh Davis puusssyyyy 6 hr Joe 4
Josh Davis is a coward 9 hr Worker 20
Sitel 9 hr Worker 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages