Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 167859 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Betterlatethanne ver

Creston, IA

#80953 Jun 19, 2012
Rev Harlan Pritchett wrote:
<quoted text>
Well — I’ll call you “Witch”(not that I approve of witchcraft)— I’m more than a bit concerned with your zeal to judge who’s a Christian and who’s not. Who appointed you Chief of the Inquisition? Don’t you know that no one’s perfect but Jesus. Jealousy is coveting and sinful. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Of course stereotypy happens because the Holy Bible is perfectly consistent. God’s word doesn’t change from moment to moment, or ever for that matter, even though some people would bend it for their own convenience.
Turn or burn.
You realize that you have been accused of funning us, I assume.
Betterlatethanne ver

Creston, IA

#80954 Jun 19, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Hitting is not a part of what jesus taught. The time has come to cast satan out, let your hatred go, love is the way to eternal life, jesus never said turn or burn, satan is using you. Repent the end is near.
Someone just quoted Bertrand Russsell criticizing Jesus - assuming he existed - for believing in hell. The one place where I see him being nasty is in Matthew 34, or so, about the sheep and goats, with them going different places - depending on how they treat the poor and unfortunate. That is not turn or burn - if by that one means become a believer that Jesus Christ and belief in his blood sacrifice are the only way to get to heaven, and that one goes to hell for not believing it. Turn or burn is nasty. Be nice or burn is a bit nicer - but still not good enough - the punishment does not fit the crime - it is disproportionate.

PS - what sort of fundie are you pretending to be anyhow? a nicer one than most of them really are?
Rev Harlan Pritchett

Cincinnati, OH

#80955 Jun 19, 2012
Betterlatethanne ver wrote:
<quoted text> I hate to admit it, but I do not get it either - the turn or burn thing, and the satire. I am accustomed to Colbert's political satire, but I do not think I have ever seen someone doing a first-rate job of impersonating a fundie in order to mock him. I think lol in a suit does a bit of it, but he is openly making fun of it and we know it.(just as Colbert is openly making fun of the RL and Fauxy types). Can you explain some of the clues you see that make you suspect this one?
Who is RL? It’s perfectly obvious that Steven Colbert is making a mockery of Bill O’Reilly, the fair and balanced star on the Fox News Channel. Bill’s a lot like me, not afraid to tell it like it really is after everything’s passed Fox’s rigorous fact-check muster, but Steven cleverly manages to make him look ridiculous. Bill’s a man of God and I hate to see him laughed at that way, but that’s the cross one must bear for adhering to strong Christian values.

Most true Christians have no trouble understanding “turn or burn,” but I’ll be pleased to help in your quest for clues as to what’s it’s all about. Turn or burn = get saved or go to Hell. Pretty straight forward stuff.

“Memento mori”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#80956 Jun 19, 2012
<quoted text> I hate to admit it, but I do not get it either - the turn or burn thing, and the satire. I am accustomed to Colbert's political satire, but I do not think I have ever seen someone doing a first-rate job of impersonating a fundie in order to mock him. I think lol in a suit does a bit of it, but he is openly making fun of it and we know it.(just as Colbert is openly making fun of the RL and Fauxy types). Can you explain some of the clues you see that make you suspect this one?
There is a certain tone I pick up on when I read his messages. Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but a lot of it seems tongue-in-cheek. His comments about Febreeze and the smell of feces in prison alone makes me think that.

Or comments like this one:
<quoted text>I wan’t talking about how to flip burgers. I leave that to those professional chefs at McDonald’s.

I’m concerned about about your focus on having fun with spatulas and staying moist, rather than turning to Jesus. Sure, it’s all fun until someone gets a soul poked out.

Turn or burn.
If I'm wrong about his intentions, then I'm wrong. But his catchphrase and way of describing things leads me to believe it's satire. Then again, when I first saw YAA's posts I wanted for him to be joking because he seemed like too much of a stereotype, but I have since (depressingly) come to terms with the fact that he's serious.

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#80957 Jun 19, 2012
<quoted text>
If you’re looking for Satan’s worst work, here’s some Polish metal produced in Hell. These heathens, called the Acid Drinkers, ruined a Godly inspirational Christian song we all know and love, while thrashing around like a bunch of punks in heat. Perfect for dancing along the eternal path through the Inferno. I only mention it because we need to expose how evil Satan’s work really is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uhK4vmaWYXQXX
Wrong bar, I will visit this one once in hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

El Dorado Hills, CA

#80958 Jun 19, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a certain tone I pick up on when I read his messages. Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but a lot of it seems tongue-in-cheek. His comments about Febreeze and the smell of feces in prison alone makes me think that.
Or comments like this one:
<quoted text>
If I'm wrong about his intentions, then I'm wrong. But his catchphrase and way of describing things leads me to believe it's satire. Then again, when I first saw YAA's posts I wanted for him to be joking because he seemed like too much of a stereotype, but I have since (depressingly) come to terms with the fact that he's serious.
You notice all the other thumpers left when the rev came on the stage. I guess all that freudian talk about moist burgers and poking out souls was not steamy enough for them.
The truth sets you free

Cape Canaveral, FL

#80959 Jun 19, 2012
<quoted text>
Don’t you know there’s only one real Bible, God’s own KJV. It about time that we put God back in school where He belongs. As good shepherds, we need to herd our children up the right path with Jesus to protect them from temptations of curiosity and the flesh to save them from eternal hell fire and damnation.
Turn or burn!
Where do I find these quotes in the Bible?

Hellfire—Is It Part of Divine Justice?
Have you ever seen someone tortured? We hope not. Deliberate torture is sickening and abhorrent. What, though, of torture inflicted by God? Can you imagine such a thing? Yet, this is exactly what is implied by the teaching of hellfire, an official doctrine in many religions.
Imagine, for a moment, the following horrific scene: A person is being roasted on a hot iron plate. In his agony he screams for mercy, but nobody listens. The torture goes on and on, hour after hour, day after day—without pause!
Whatever crime the victim may have committed, would not your heart go out to him? What of the one who ordered the torture? Could he be a loving person? In no way! Love is merciful and shows pity. A loving father may punish his children, but he would never torture them!
Nevertheless, many religions teach that God tortures sinners in an eternal hellfire. This, it is claimed, is divine justice. If that is true, who created that terrible place of eternal torment? And who is responsible for the excruciating agonies inflicted there? The answers would seem obvious. If such a place really exists, then God would have to be the creator of it, and he would be responsible for what happens there.
Can you accept that? The Bible says:“God is love.”(1 John 4:8) Would a God of love inflict torture that even humans with any measure of decency find revolting? Surely not!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#80960 Jun 19, 2012
Hell Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>Are you an amputee?? I see you've asked this in an endless number of posts. It is an unfortunate loss to live with, I know. Disease, illness, death, suffering, and all other negative aspects of life are the result of sin. We are ALL sinners. Until sin entered the world, none of this existed. Total healing does not come until after death. God never promised it would. Jesus suffered, Paul suffered many maladies, and most all His closest endured many hardships and horrible deaths. Why should we expect to be treated better??

2 Chron. 7:

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Blame the victim much?

This is one if the most vile aspects of the whole Xian cult.
The truth sets you free

Cape Canaveral, FL

#80961 Jun 19, 2012
An Unreasonable Teaching
Still, many believe that the wicked will go to a fiery hell and be tormented forever. Is this teaching logical? The human life span is limited to 70 or 80 years. Even if someone perpetrated extreme wickedness for his whole lifetime, would everlasting torment be a just punishment? No. It would be grossly unjust to torment a man forever for the limited number of sins that he can commit in a lifetime.
Who knows the truth about what happens after we die? Only God can reveal this information, and he has done so in his written Word, the Bible, referred to above. Here is what the Bible says:“As the [beast] dies, so the [man] dies; and they all have but one spirit . . . All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust.”(Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20) There is no mention here of a fiery hell. Humans return to dust—to nonexistence—when they die.
In order to be tormented, an individual has to be conscious. Are the dead conscious? No.“The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.”(Ecclesiastes 9:5) It is impossible for the dead,“conscious of nothing at all,” to experience the agonies of hellfire.
The truth sets you free

Cape Canaveral, FL

#80962 Jun 19, 2012
A Harmful Doctrine
Some maintain that the teaching of hellfire is useful, true or not. Why? They say it serves as a deterrent to wrongdoing. Is that true? Well, is the crime rate in regions where people believe in hellfire lower than in other places? Hardly! In fact, the doctrine of hellfire is very harmful. Will a person who believes that God torments people view torture as something abhorrent? Why should he? Those believing in a cruel god often become cruel like their god.
In whatever way a reasonable person may look at the matter, he cannot accept the existence of a hell of torment. Logic rebels against it. Human nature is repelled by it. More important, God’s Word does not say that such a place exists. When a person dies,“he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts do perish.”—Psalm 146:4.
The truth sets you free

Cape Canaveral, FL

#80963 Jun 19, 2012
What Punishment for Sin?
Does that mean that we are not punished for our sins? No, that is not the case. Our holy God punishes sinners, but he does not torture them. And when sinners repent, he forgives them. What is the punishment for sin? The Bible gives a forthright answer:“The wages sin pays is death.”(Romans 6:23) Life is a gift from God. When we sin we no longer deserve that gift, and we die.
You may ask:‘How is that just? Why, everyone dies!’ That is true because we are all sinners. In effect, no one deserves life.“Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.”—Romans 5:12.
At this point you may be thinking:‘If we all sin and so we all die, why should we try to be virtuous? It seems that the wicked man is treated exactly the same as the man who tries to serve God.’ But that is not the case. Although we are all sinners, God forgives those who sincerely repent and try to change their ways. He rewards our efforts to ‘make our minds over’ and to do good.(Romans 12:2) These truths are the basis of a marvelous hope.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#80965 Jun 19, 2012
<quoted text>
Good grief, Quantum. You can’t be both at the same time any more than you can be both here and there or transcend the bounds of time and space. Grow a pair and turn or burn.
All I can do is explain it to you, I cannot understand it for you - Q

Location hidden

#80966 Jun 19, 2012
<quoted text>OK, here we go again. Jesus doesnÂ’t make slavery or any other social injustice a talking point any more than God chooses to replace or fix a long list of organs. You want to prove that they are defective because the way the run the show doesnÂ’t meet with your full approval.

No one said God & Son were happy with the work of Satan. Au contrair!

Turn or burn.
Sorry dude but slavery is morally defective and quite common in Jesus' time. Also if your heart is bad or your arm is missing these are also deficiencies.

Got half a lung? Must be your sinfulness. Baby died painfully of some rare disease? Gotta be something the little guy did wrong.

Pretty sick stuff.

El Dorado Hills, CA

#80967 Jun 19, 2012
NSE (New Science Evidence)Version

Alpha 1:1
“The fool says in his heart,‘There is a God.’”

Alpha 1:2
For centuries men will not put up with sound scientific evidence. Instead listen to the ravings of crazy hell-fire followers the end of time bible thumpers. They will gather around them a great number of pagan teachers to teach them unsound scientific data based on untested and zero evidence.

Alpha 1:3
In time all the religious doctrines will be place along side of mythical teachings as mythology books, then man will advance in science and good will. Till that time the Armageddon welcoming committee continue war and suffering on earth.

Alpha 1.4
Continue steadfast comrades until "Babylon the Great" has fallen. Refute the doctrines of religion when contrary to true science and history.

Alpha 1:5
So say we all

El Dorado Hills, CA

#80968 Jun 19, 2012
I would guess allthe user names below belong to the same person from cincinnati ohio area.

Rev Harlan Pritchett
Darryl Washington
Dakota Hudson

Location hidden

#80969 Jun 19, 2012
Darryl Washington wrote:
<quoted text>Is it up to man to judge whether GodÂ’s decisions are fair? Come on, Salts, you know better than that. DonÂ’t you know that the whole Garden of Eden debacle about original sin is grossly misunderstood by mere mortals to be an injustice? You must know that all GodÂ’s creatures, human and animal, die and that itÂ’s not a punishment.

But, where our souls go when we die is up to us and how we lived our lives. We might be promoted to Heaven or dragged by Satan to suffer eternal Hell for our wretched, sinful lives. There are certain “tricks of the trade” that are important to know, of course. First and foremost, you’ve got to get saved in order to get that original sin washed off. Then, remember to live as saintly a life as possible thereafter. It’s good for the soul and will also be appreciated by family and friends. In balance, however, what’s more important than what you do is what you believe.
Satan sure seems to have a lot of power for a minor character in a couple of stories. Heck, God can't even keep that SOB in check.

Oh...I mean WON'T.

Location hidden

#80970 Jun 19, 2012
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. You are THE STEREOTYPE of stereotypes.
I don't think you believe any of this nonsense.
You're just trolling.
No doubt.

Location hidden

#80971 Jun 19, 2012
<quoted text>Someone just quoted Bertrand Russsell criticizing Jesus - assuming he existed - for believing in hell. The one place where I see him being nasty is in Matthew 34, or so, about the sheep and goats, with them going different places - depending on how they treat the poor and unfortunate. That is not turn or burn - if by that one means become a believer that Jesus Christ and belief in his blood sacrifice are the only way to get to heaven, and that one goes to hell for not believing it. Turn or burn is nasty. Be nice or burn is a bit nicer - but still not good enough - the punishment does not fit the crime - it is disproportionate.

PS - what sort of fundie are you pretending to be anyhow? a nicer one than most of them really are?
Didn't Christ beat up a tree in one story?
The truth sets you free

Cape Canaveral, FL

#80972 Jun 19, 2012
Swirl3030 wrote:
This is going to be an option for children who are already interested in learning the bible. It's not a mandatory class. With the way a lot of the youth are going in Ky anything that would help is worth a try.
You can obtain the book "Questions Young People Ask Answers that Work" Vol.1,2 Publoished by Jehovah's Witnesses.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#80973 Jun 19, 2012
<quoted text>
Well — I’ll call you “Witch”(not that I approve of witchcraft)— I’m more than a bit concerned with your zeal to judge who’s a Christian and who’s not. Who appointed you Chief of the Inquisition? Don’t you know that no one’s perfect but Jesus. Jealousy is coveting and sinful. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Of course stereotypy happens because the Holy Bible is perfectly consistent. God’s word doesn’t change from moment to moment, or ever for that matter, even though some people would bend it for their own convenience.
Turn or burn.
"Who appointed you Chief of the Inquisition?"
"Don’t you know that no one’s perfect but Jesus."
"Jealousy is coveting and sinful."
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

LOLOLOL! How are you not choking with that tongue lodged so firmly in your cheek!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is this brother James? 20 min Bucky 10
Diversicare 23 min Good Listener 1
Melissa jean furlong (Mar '15) 2 hr sam 6
watch out for jason thurman 4 hr tiffs chica 1
woman walking 5 hr Juicy 12
fps 5 hr I care 1
HUD rent homes 5 hr Martin Luther Cre... 45

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance