My 6 year old is not potty trained

Posted in the Glasgow Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Faye

Owensboro, KY

#1 Apr 25, 2011
My 6 year old son is not potty trained and its beginning to become a problem. He is not afflicted with any learning disability and performs well in school, however its beginning to become embarrassing that our son is still wearing a diaper as a 1st grader. He will be 7 in August and entering the 2nd grade and still has this issue, I can't think of another kid out there that is not potty trained by the time they start school, much less entering the 2nd grade. I wanted to enroll him in some YMCA activities for the summer, but it involves swimming and it I know they are strict about being potty trained, and I know other kids would laugh at him as well. Its tough because he can't socialize with other kids his age, we try to hide it the best we can, but his diaper sticks out and sometimes the smell overtakes a room.
hey

Glasgow, KY

#2 Apr 25, 2011
if that was my kid I would tell him that he would have to stay at home if he wore an pullup its your fault as much as his OR put reg underwear on him and make him wear him

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Yes

Glasgow, KY

#3 Apr 25, 2011
I agree with the poster above. Put regular underwear on him and make him wear them. It's ridiculous that you, the parent would allow this to go on all this time. At the age of six, it's just laziness that he would shit his pants on purpose. He should have enough modesty in himself not to do that.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Parenting

Glasgow, KY

#4 Apr 25, 2011
A child of that age should wipe his own heinie, that is almost as gross as breast feeding at that age. I guess no good reason to wipe your own rear if you can just make someone else do it. His/her self esteem will go down the tubes if this isn't addressed. I am not saying this is your fault but I am saying it is time to buck up as a parent and make the child suffer the consequence of not going to the bathroom!
OMG

Glasgow, KY

#6 Apr 25, 2011
I know someone who is 5 years not potty trained. no learning disability here either just sorry parenting she was being babysitted by her Aunt who did not attempt to potty train her. people like this do not need children.
maggie

San Antonio, TX

#7 Apr 25, 2011
Take him to the doctor and ask for a diuretic hormone test to be done. What does your child say? Is he being lazy or does he honestly say that he cannont control it. It could be many things and it needs to be evaluated. I don't think any child would do this intentionally at this age. He needs to see a urologist or a proctologist ASAP. Don't go to any hosptials here, take him to Vandie. IF it is a diurectic hormone issue then it will resolve or there is medication that can be administered.
Stupid is as Stupid Does

Glasgow, KY

#9 Apr 25, 2011
Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
have you been feeding him any of your cets or sharing your crack pipe with him.
What are you, 12 years old or a high school drop-out? What an absolutely stupid reply and your opinion is totally worthless - probably just like you.
FullTimeDad

Glasgow, KY

#12 Apr 25, 2011
If I may offer a little tip that helped with my youngest son who was very difficult to potty train.(I got this tip from my grandfather)

Put a few cheerios in the toilet. Tell him to pee on them and try to sink them.*I know it sounds crazy*

It took my son 3 weeks of this and then he finally started to go pee on his own. I even kept a small bowl of cheerios on the back of the toilet so that he could put some in when he went potty. It worked like a charm, and I have my grandfather to thank. Now he is 6 and still remembers "sinking the "cheros". It's worth a try. Good luck :)
Faye

White Plains, KY

#13 Apr 27, 2011
Thanks for the advice and to the assholes here, why don't you step up and take the meth out of your mouth and stop beating your wife and post your real name and say it to my face. I am trying my best to deal with this condition, I would be blessed whether I had a perfect child or a child with severe disabilities, this is a minor issue compared to what some parents have to deal with in there lives. Its just getting to the point that it is quite embarrassing, we have tried other options, but nothing is working.

The problem is I want my child to experience a normal childhood, I want him to be able to swim at the pool and to the the YMCA.
RICK

Glasgow, KY

#14 Apr 27, 2011
That's just ridiculous! I'll tell you what it is and thats poor parenting! You ought to have a shity diaper tied around your head! I have heard it all damn!
Mother myself

Glasgow, KY

#15 Apr 28, 2011
This is the wrong forum for this quesion. Ask a doctor,.
Faye wrote:
My 6 year old son is not potty trained and its beginning to become a problem. He is not afflicted with any learning disability and performs well in school, however its beginning to become embarrassing that our son is still wearing a diaper as a 1st grader. He will be 7 in August and entering the 2nd grade and still has this issue, I can't think of another kid out there that is not potty trained by the time they start school, much less entering the 2nd grade. I wanted to enroll him in some YMCA activities for the summer, but it involves swimming and it I know they are strict about being potty trained, and I know other kids would laugh at him as well. Its tough because he can't socialize with other kids his age, we try to hide it the best we can, but his diaper sticks out and sometimes the smell overtakes a room.
parent

United States

#16 Apr 28, 2011
Take your kid to the doctor, instead of asking people with out a doctor degree, On this site.

Good luck, hope you will be able to get this issue resolved.
confused

Glasgow, KY

#17 Apr 28, 2011
Faye wrote:
sounds like bad parenting.
lol

Glasgow, KY

#18 Apr 28, 2011
Yes wrote:
I agree with the poster above. Put regular underwear on him and make him wear them. It's ridiculous that you, the parent would allow this to go on all this time. At the age of six, it's just laziness that he would shit his pants on purpose. He should have enough modesty in himself not to do that.
I don't think that post was a serious one.
hohoho

Glasgow, KY

#19 Apr 28, 2011
traylor park wrote:
thats normal for a huff,chapman or a york child. some have been known to be 10-12 years old before they grasp the concept.
Did you finally get nick out of pullups?
Wondering

Trinity, TX

#20 Apr 29, 2011
omg wrote:
maybe when he does it you should woop his naked ass then he will know thats what he is going to get if he goes to the bathroom on hisself
I hope to God you don't have children of your own and if you do, I hope social services are called soon.
To the mom that started this topic, I agree with everyone else that said this. Go see a doctor and go from there. Good luck.
puxli

Glasgow, KY

#21 Apr 29, 2011
Maybe he will learn fast when other kicks start picking on him.
jed

White Plains, KY

#22 Apr 30, 2011
this kid definately needs to be homeschooled, even the teachers should laugh at him.
Jennifer

Allen, TX

#25 Jun 6, 2011
I know that this thread is already over a month old but I just had to chime in. I wanted to let the original poster know that she is not alone. I nearly wanted to cry when I read through all the heartless, cold, uncaring, mean and ignorant responses on this thread. My son will be seven in July and he too has urinary and fecal incontinence. Officially, past the age of four, this problem is no longer a "potty training" issue and is a medical condition that should be addressed by a doctor. Trust me, unless the child has severe behavioral issues they wouldn't be putting themselves through this ordeal on purpose. It is NOT laziness on the part of the parent or child. I have other children who have potty trained normally and no one that I know has ever criticized me for babying or lazy parenting (just the opposite actually). In first grade my son IS getting picked on and called names, and has come home in tears more than once. We haven't allowed him to wear diapers in years, for the simple reason that it helps him and us to realize when he has had an accident so we can get him changed promptly. This is definitely not him being lazy. He is required to take responsibility for his accidents and clean up himself and his messes. In the earlier years when we were first dealing with this. We tried every method under the sun: Cheerios, reward charts, stickers, hourly bathroom trips, even ignoring the problem and (to my embarrassment) shaming and spankings. This family is dealing with an actual medical problem and deserves your sympathy, not your criticism. With the swimming issue, you should approach this as any parent who has a child with a disability should. Approach them and explain to them your child's disability, and ask them what steps you can take together to have your child to participate as fully as possible. Also talk to your pediatrician about getting a referral to a gastroenterologist. Do not be discouraged if your child's pediatrician is dismissive of the problem, many of them aren't well informed about this condition and can be almost as dismissive as some of the posters here.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Keep it Simple”

Since: Apr 11

I am who I am

#27 Jun 7, 2011
maggie wrote:
Take him to the doctor and ask for a diuretic hormone test to be done. What does your child say? Is he being lazy or does he honestly say that he cannont control it. It could be many things and it needs to be evaluated. I don't think any child would do this intentionally at this age. He needs to see a urologist or a proctologist ASAP. Don't go to any hosptials here, take him to Vandie. IF it is a diurectic hormone issue then it will resolve or there is medication that can be administered.
I agree with you Maggie..(not something I usually do),not meant in a bad way,but I also think the child should see a urologist..I have to go to one due to Kidney disease..and I have seen several children in the office with urinary problems.The Graves Gilbert Clinic in B.G. have wonderful doctors there..To the OP..Do not pay any attention to the a-holes who reply smart..this is topix,but still are some good posters on here as well..A urologist would be your best bet at this time and I wish you luck in figuring out the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 28 min ChromiuMan 166,332
Tearing down confederate statue on courthouse lawn 3 hr Leroy Brown 3
Jail pays for hirmone therapy 3 hr A Tranny Ballard 3
Bobby Lawson 5 hr THE BEST 6
trust/affairs/fed mogul (Sep '12) 9 hr Mitchell 16
Federal mogul (Jan '17) 12 hr wee 7
Who is the drive thru guy who works at McDonald... 13 hr Ronald 5
epb (Jan '17) 23 hr Goldie 43

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages