Posted in the Glasgow Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
whelzonthebus

Glasgow, KY

#1 Mar 10, 2008
5 yr Old Killed When Hit By Bus
A 5 Year Old Boy Was Killed In Graves County Yesterday When He Was Hit By A School Bus...

Keeton Mathis Of Symsonia Was Said To Be Crossing Back Across The Street After Going To The Mailbox And Ran In Front Of The Bus...

There Were High School And Middle School Students On The Bus At The Time That Witnessed The Accident Inlcuding His Half-Sister...

If we have to stop for busses...shouldnt they stop for kids? Isnt that the first thing they learn..."dont run over the kids" ???
Luna

Glasgow, KY

#2 Mar 10, 2008
Where did you find this news story? Is it possible that the child ran back into traffic? Just curious, not saying anyone is at fault, the bus or the child, just trying to get the facts.
Court

Glasgow, KY

#3 Mar 10, 2008
I just googled the topic to find out information on it and here's what I found!

SYMSONIA, Ky.(AP)- Police and school officials in western Kentucky have been investigating how and why a school bus struck
and killed a 5-year-old boy.
Keeton Mathis of Symsonia in Graves County died Thursday evening
at Lourdes hospital in Paducah. Graves County Chief Deputy Sheriff
Dewayne Redmon says Keeton was hit by the bus as he crossed the
road in front of his family's house. Redmon says the boy was crossing the street after going to the mailbox.
Paul Schaumburg, a spokesman for the Graves County Schools, did
not immediately return a call on Friday from The Associated Press.
Students from Graves County High School and Graves County Middle
School were on the bus, which was dropping off Keeton's half-sister.
Family members recalled a smart, funny, inquisitive child who loved the movie "Annie." Keeton turned 5 on Saturday and was going to have a party this weekend with friends at Lakeland Gymnastics.
"He was a delightful little child," said his great-aunt, Brenda Thomasson. "He's touched a lot of lives in five years. I don't know what we're going to do without him."
Luna

Glasgow, KY

#4 Mar 10, 2008
Then I suppose "whelz" should stop and say a prayer for the family and the bus driver before jumping to conclusions. I didn't see anything in that story that indicated the driver did anything wrong. It appears to just be a terrible accident. Nothing more.
Court

Glasgow, KY

#5 Mar 10, 2008
I also found an article where it says that the school bus driver has not been suspended because as of right now there is no fault it was just an unfortunate accident!
omgggdddd

Glasgow, KY

#6 Mar 10, 2008
Luna wrote:
Then I suppose "whelz" should stop and say a prayer for the family and the bus driver before jumping to conclusions. I didn't see anything in that story that indicated the driver did anything wrong. It appears to just be a terrible accident. Nothing more.
did nothing wrong? oh my god just ran over a kid is all...no one said he did it on purpose....if we ran over a kid getting off a bus or around a school bus...we would be railroaded to no end.
so sad

Russell Springs, KY

#7 Mar 10, 2008
omgggdddd wrote:
<quoted text>
did nothing wrong? oh my god just ran over a kid is all...no one said he did it on purpose....if we ran over a kid getting off a bus or around a school bus...we would be railroaded to no end.
A five year old would not be tall enough to be seen in front of a bus. The child did NOT get off of the bus, therefore the driver had no reason to think that there may be a child in front of the bus. My heart and prayers go out to this family, I couldn't imagine being in their shoes. Also prayers for the bus driver, the pain the driver must be experiencing, and the middle and high school kids.
disagree

Glasgow, KY

#8 Mar 10, 2008
so sad wrote:
<quoted text>
A five year old would not be tall enough to be seen in front of a bus. The child did NOT get off of the bus, therefore the driver had no reason to think that there may be a child in front of the bus. My heart and prayers go out to this family, I couldn't imagine being in their shoes. Also prayers for the bus driver, the pain the driver must be experiencing, and the middle and high school kids.
school bus drivers should be watching for kids...even short ones....the kid i bet felt safe crossing knowing busses heed to anyone around a school bus...probably why parents allowed him to go to mail box at that time....traffic would be stopped..the bus driver should quit..i wouldnt want her letting my kids off if she fails to look before she starts...doesnt matter to me if it's my kid from the bus or a kid from the neighborhood...and i bet your sweet bippy if it was your kid dead you'd be pissed too. I know I would be. First I'd be devastated then I'd be very very pissed. School bus=kids...in front , in back , hung in the door...doesnt matter how they got there...I can see not having a reason to watch out for cows or frking elephants but a kid? Yeah....need to be mindful.
so sad

Russell Springs, KY

#9 Mar 10, 2008
disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
school bus drivers should be watching for kids...even short ones....the kid i bet felt safe crossing knowing busses heed to anyone around a school bus...probably why parents allowed him to go to mail box at that time....traffic would be stopped..the bus driver should quit..i wouldnt want her letting my kids off if she fails to look before she starts...doesnt matter to me if it's my kid from the bus or a kid from the neighborhood...and i bet your sweet bippy if it was your kid dead you'd be pissed too. I know I would be. First I'd be devastated then I'd be very very pissed. School bus=kids...in front , in back , hung in the door...doesnt matter how they got there...I can see not having a reason to watch out for cows or frking elephants but a kid? Yeah....need to be mindful.
As hard as it is, you need to take your emotions out of the equation, and use logic. A cow or an elephant would be large enough to be seen. A five year old is very tiny in comparison to a school bus. Short of the driver physically getting off of the bus to look in front of it, if he/she was unaware of the 5 yr old at the box, he/she would've never seen him. He was NOT a passenger on the bus, the driver would have no reason to even know he was there. Our school buses have poles that come out in front of the bus when it is stopped, the kids HAVE to walk around the pole to cross the road. The pole places the children far enough in front of the bus, they are viewable to the driver. The article does not give enough information as to what fully took place. Was the bus equipped with the poles? Was the step-sister let off at the house, or where? How fast was the bus going? As horrible as it is, it doesn't appear that the bus driver was negligent. My heart truly hurts for everyone in that community.
Luna

Glasgow, KY

#10 Mar 11, 2008
so sad wrote:
<quoted text>
As hard as it is, you need to take your emotions out of the equation, and use logic. A cow or an elephant would be large enough to be seen. A five year old is very tiny in comparison to a school bus. Short of the driver physically getting off of the bus to look in front of it, if he/she was unaware of the 5 yr old at the box, he/she would've never seen him. He was NOT a passenger on the bus, the driver would have no reason to even know he was there. Our school buses have poles that come out in front of the bus when it is stopped, the kids HAVE to walk around the pole to cross the road. The pole places the children far enough in front of the bus, they are viewable to the driver. The article does not give enough information as to what fully took place. Was the bus equipped with the poles? Was the step-sister let off at the house, or where? How fast was the bus going? As horrible as it is, it doesn't appear that the bus driver was negligent. My heart truly hurts for everyone in that community.
I agree with what you've said, so sad. The article doesn't state what all the circumstances are, but it does appear in the article that the driver wasn't necessarily at fault. Accidents happen, plain and simple. And to the person that asked, "what if it'd been your child?..." I can say, honestly, yes, it would hurt, I would be devastated. But in all reality, forgiveness goes a long way in healing emotional wounds. Try it sometime.
disagree

Glasgow, KY

#11 Mar 11, 2008
I know you are right about forgiveness is an important part of healing, I agree. I cant see me ever forgiving someone of causing my child's death...or healing from it. That is just me. Might sound terrible, but it's me. I would not want to live one more day without my child alive. I know people everywhere lose kids and people they love everyday and I am no better YET I cant see me going on. Forgiveness I have and have given for many many things that I wont go into because no one really cares and it's all in the past, but when we talk about me forgiving the 'accident' that takes my child....nope, not there. If this person accidently left her loaded gun unlocked in a cabinet and a visiting 5 year old got it and killed himself would that be okay? That too would be an accident. Oh well...it was an accident. Silly me, not thinking there could be a SHORT kid in front of the bus...opps ! Who could have forseen that...a kid around a school bus ? Hell the next thing you'll see is a kid darting out of a car at McDonald's !!!
disagree

Glasgow, KY

#12 Mar 11, 2008
Luna

Glasgow, KY

#13 Mar 11, 2008
disagree wrote:
http://www.wpsdtv.com/mostpopu lar/story.aspx?content_id=0d70 5d6b-77ee-4873-9572-23e5f1b648 e8
a direct quote from the story link you provided:

"Thursday afternoon little Keeton Mathis darted in front a school bus on Highway 534 in Symsonia, Kentucky."

I'm sure that the busdriver couldn't have prevented this accident. It seems to me that this is exactly that, just an accident. Terrible, yes, Unforgiveable, no. Would you still feel the same if it were a grown person who "darted in front of a bus"? I just can't see why the OP was so hard on the busdriver. Yes, the child was small. Yes, he touched the lives of many. But it was an accident. I don't get why the OP thinks that because it was a school bus and a small child that it could have been prevented. If the bus is traveling and the child "darted into traffic", then it would have been terribly hard for the bus to stop quickly.

Since: Mar 08

Glasgow, KY

#14 Mar 11, 2008
OK everyone wants to blame the bus driver, I am sure there was nothing that the bus driver could have done, but one question you might want to ask is why was a 5 year old crossing the street by his self to go to the mail box and then back across? My mail box is on the same side as my house, my road is a dead end and I still wouldnt let my son go to the mail by his self. I am sure the law will keep investigating, and will get the bottom of what happened! Until then we should all pray for the family and the children that were on the bus and the bus driver!
Luna

Glasgow, KY

#15 Mar 11, 2008
Court_42141 wrote:
OK everyone wants to blame the bus driver, I am sure there was nothing that the bus driver could have done, but one question you might want to ask is why was a 5 year old crossing the street by his self to go to the mail box and then back across? My mail box is on the same side as my house, my road is a dead end and I still wouldnt let my son go to the mail by his self. I am sure the law will keep investigating, and will get the bottom of what happened! Until then we should all pray for the family and the children that were on the bus and the bus driver!
100% agreed.
so sad

Russell Springs, KY

#16 Mar 11, 2008
Court_42141 wrote:
I was praying no one would go there. This is a horrid accident, and there are many 'what ifs'. The bus driver, I pray, clearly knows he/she is not at fault. I also pray this boy's parents don't spend to much time on the what ifs, and also realize that this was an accident. There is no place for blame here. What these families need right now is prayers, love and support from their community. Every SINGLE ONE of us that are either a driver or a parent, could be in this situation. Please, no more finger-pointing. Let's lift both of these families up in Prayer.
so sad

Russell Springs, KY

#17 Mar 11, 2008
Court_42141 wrote:
Please don't take my above post as an attack aimed toward you. My intention wasn't to attack anyone, just hopeful that everyone would realize there is no place for blame. I am sure your post was not posted to attack, but to bring awareness to other 'what ifs'. Hopefully everyone will realize how these 'finger-pointing' posts can effect these families. I am positive not a minute goes by that the parents or the driver beat themselves up over this tragic accident, they just don't need any assistance from the public.
my view

Glasgow, KY

#18 Mar 11, 2008
so sad wrote:
<quoted text>
I was praying no one would go there. This is a horrid accident, and there are many 'what ifs'. The bus driver, I pray, clearly knows he/she is not at fault. I also pray this boy's parents don't spend to much time on the what ifs, and also realize that this was an accident. There is no place for blame here. What these families need right now is prayers, love and support from their community. Every SINGLE ONE of us that are either a driver or a parent, could be in this situation. Please, no more finger-pointing. Let's lift both of these families up in Prayer.
"""Please, no more finger-pointing. Let's lift both of these families up in Prayer."""
Kinda like...."cant we just all get along" ??? OR "shit happens" ??
I say it was preventable. The school official said "we are going to get thru this"...well I couldnt get thru it either, not if it were my child.
The bus driver was a 'she'. Not that that makes a difference, and she was back to work Monday.
My prayers are with this family, I am sure they feel so much guilt.
so sad

Russell Springs, KY

#19 Mar 11, 2008
By reading a prior news story, I am 200% positive that this was an accident. The boy was NOT alone by the road, his mother was with him. That fact leads me to believe the boy darted in front of the bus. I am POSITIVE the mother did NOT instruct him to cross when he did.

This family needs our prayers!!!

http://www.wpsdtv.com/news/local/story.aspx...
so sad

Russell Springs, KY

#20 Mar 11, 2008
my view wrote:
<quoted text>
"""Please, no more finger-pointing. Let's lift both of these families up in Prayer."""
Kinda like...."cant we just all get along" ??? OR "shit happens" ??
I say it was preventable. The school official said "we are going to get thru this"...well I couldnt get thru it either, not if it were my child.
The bus driver was a 'she'. Not that that makes a difference, and she was back to work Monday.
My prayers are with this family, I am sure they feel so much guilt.
No, not like that at all. Just that an accident has occurred, no place for blame. Any one of us could be the driver that hits a child, or the parent of a child hit. There should be no blame here, only compassion. Apparently the mother was with the little boy and I am positive she did not instruct him to cross the road in front of the bus. I don't blame her anymore than I would the bus driver. It was an accident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Wyatt (Jan '09) 12 min Oldman 44
Body found green river 13 min Cna7469 25
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min CriminalsForever 149,852
Shelby gulley 48 min Shelby 18
Kristen Edwards of Barren County 52 min dude 4
Comrade Donald 1 hr Boris 40
Word Association (Jun '08) 1 hr _Zoey_ 5,314

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages