Target coming to Glasgow

Posted in the Glasgow Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kate

White House, TN

#1 Aug 13, 2007
Has anyone heard the rumor that there is going to be a Target behind the theater across from Wal-Mart in Glasgow? I have heard its a done deal and that is why there is so much construction in that area.
Dipset

Glasgow, KY

#2 Aug 13, 2007
When hell freezes over.
Marsha

White House, TN

#3 Aug 15, 2007
Its CONFIRMED, Target is coming to Glasgow with a new Goody's to start construction this Fall. Its slated to be open sometime in 2008.
Anti-Walmart

Russell Springs, KY

#4 Aug 15, 2007
Its about time there was a Target built. I'm glad its going up!
pam R

Cave City, KY

#5 Aug 16, 2007
I love Target lol i'll be glad when it gets here!
Rev

White House, TN

#6 Aug 20, 2007
Where is the source about Target?

Its a shame that Glasgow abandons all there old retail buildings. I remember the old Central Center back in the 80s that had Watson's, Rite Aid, Houchens, a real nice shoe store (forgot the name), a barber shop, Cato, Hallmark, K-Mart, and a few others I am probably forgetting. Then when the new Wal-Mart center was built around 1990, that is now practically empty itself, everything up and left the Central Center.
south central mom

Cave City, KY

#7 Aug 22, 2007
What about Kohl's ? Has anyone heard anything about them coming ?

“Summertime”

Since: Aug 07

Monroe Co, Ky

#8 Aug 22, 2007
I love Target!

Hopefully it is true that Target is coming because that kind of business and the job openings would be great for Glasgow, and the surrounding areas.
Marsha

United States

#9 Sep 4, 2007
Someone on the GDT board was inquiring about the old Wal-Mart shopping center. I believe it was built in 1989, because many of the stores that are there now or were there use to be in the old Central Center where Big Lots is in the 1980s and before. I know Watson's (now Peebles) moved in 1990 because I was cleaning out my closets the other day and found a receipt dated 1989 when it was in Central Center and another one in 1990 dated with the Barren River Plaza as the address.

I also noticed that the Critter Corner is being torn down which was actually a Mr. Gattis Pizza Parlor back in the day.

Since: Apr 08

Glasgow, Kentucky

#10 Jul 13, 2008
Marsha wrote:
Its CONFIRMED, Target is coming to Glasgow with a new Goody's to start construction this Fall. Its slated to be open sometime in 2008.
I wonder where Target is, "?Marsha"
YIKES

Glasgow, KY

#11 Jul 13, 2008
ElbowSprings wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder where Target is, "?Marsha"
You'll know where as soon as the "Coming Soon" sign shows up.
Vibbertations

Floyds Knobs, IN

#12 Jul 13, 2008
On a side note, I remember when Walmart and Kmart built their new buidings. My Grandma hated them because they were "too big" and "things sitting in the middle of the aisles on pallets" Oh if Grandma could see the new Walmart! She would go insane!
YIKES

Glasgow, KY

#13 Jul 13, 2008
Elbow Springs - If you look at the date on the posts from "Marsha" that was back in Aug. 15, and Aug. 20 of 2007. That was almost a year ago. NO construction started for Goody's last Fall or anywhere. Most of any new construction has been this year. Yes, we heard Goody's and Peebles may move to the new shopping center. But, most I hear is just them playing musical stores with the old ones, outside of the Aaron's and the Movie rentals. We REALLY NEED more of those to go with all the banks.:(

And, Shogun's maybe somewhere around that area so far.

Since: Apr 08

Glasgow, Kentucky

#14 Jul 13, 2008
YIKES wrote:
Elbow Springs - If you look at the date on the posts from "Marsha" that was back in Aug. 15, and Aug. 20 of 2007. That was almost a year ago. NO construction started for Goody's last Fall or anywhere. Most of any new construction has been this year. Yes, we heard Goody's and Peebles may move to the new shopping center. But, most I hear is just them playing musical stores with the old ones, outside of the Aaron's and the Movie rentals. We REALLY NEED more of those to go with all the banks.:(
And, Shogun's maybe somewhere around that area so far.
Yeah, I noticed the date. That's why I brought it up. I love it when people think they know what's going on with the mall, saying the construction was to start LAST year. haha
YIKES

Glasgow, KY

#15 Jul 14, 2008
ElbowSprings wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I noticed the date. That's why I brought it up. I love it when people think they know what's going on with the mall, saying the construction was to start LAST year. haha
I have to agree! Too funny! I just look for the "Coming Soon" signs when they pop-up.

I have to admit I hated seeing the Dollar Tree taking over that one place. It always looks so junky inside. I do buy batteries in there sometimes. But, I doubt I'll drive over there just for batteries anymore. Aaron's rentals and movie rentals, I sure don't need......so unless something really good comes in (which I don't see so far) that new strip mall so far seems to be a waste, for me anyway.
the geez

Glasgow, KY

#16 Jul 14, 2008
Yikes, I'm thinking about putting a Victoria's Secret in there. "course, I'd need a model. You're always talking about finding a job..........
hillview

Tennyson, IN

#17 Jul 14, 2008
All of this is why our city council should pass a moratorium prohibiting new retail stores building structures over say 10,000 sq ft. If they want the building permit to keep building more strip malls and big box stores, they should have to find a new tenant for their old space or tear it down. It took years for Central Center and the old Big K (later Walmart, now Ford's) strips to recover and they still leave a lot to be desired. Other communities have "just said no" and they are doing well. We just keep spreading out, paving good agricultural land, while the center of the town is blighted with vacant buildings and empty lots.
TheMusicMan

Glasgow, KY

#18 Jul 14, 2008
AMEN! Outstanding post.
forum lurker

Glasgow, KY

#19 Jul 14, 2008
hillview wrote:
All of this is why our city council should pass a moratorium prohibiting new retail stores building structures over say 10,000 sq ft. If they want the building permit to keep building more strip malls and big box stores, they should have to find a new tenant for their old space or tear it down. It took years for Central Center and the old Big K (later Walmart, now Ford's) strips to recover and they still leave a lot to be desired. Other communities have "just said no" and they are doing well. We just keep spreading out, paving good agricultural land, while the center of the town is blighted with vacant buildings and empty lots.
While it certainly sounds like a good idea, I doubt that a law like that would be legal.
YIKES

Glasgow, KY

#20 Jul 14, 2008
hillview wrote:
I agree 110%! But, not sure about the 10,000 sq. ft. off hand....not being able to visualize that amount of space in my mind off hand.

But, you are right........WalMart can sit on that lease on the old building for 5 years, I heard. That's enough time for it to fall in. I've seen the aftermath of the old WalMart in E'Town. That's just wrong! The main part of town on 31E looks like trash now, is convenient to MANY people, many people drive on 31E.....and YES........NOTHING will there anymore. A few restaurants......and yummy Colton's. Maybe they know something we don't know? That would be a great place for a Target...(the old WalMart) but I'm sure WalMart won't have it.

They also shouldn't be allowed to sit on leases for ANY amount of time from buildings they have moved out of! They can't tear it down, since they don't own the buildings as far as I know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stop tweeting 12 min woot 49
Sister Schuberts 15 min Marshall 24
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min Strel 158,071
Big Bye 20 min James 1
55 year old drunk threatens sidelines staff wit... 1 hr You Boys Want Ano... 10
He Won! He Won! Thank God! 2 hr Patriot 228
Justice 3 hr Owatta Dewsh 3

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages