Do they drug test newborns?
whoknows

Jamestown, NY

#148 Jun 12, 2012
It is against your 4th ammendment constitutional rights to be given a drug test without consent unless your rights are waved for a specific reason-say you are on probation. by federal law, you have to consent to it. there should be some kind of paperwork for you to sign. i know a couple mothers who continued to smoke while pregnant and their babies are quite advanced-maybe pot actually helps. i dunno. i do know that they do still prescribe pregnant women drugs which are later recalled. that's why you see commercials about women on anti-depressants who can contact the specific lawyer if the baby is born with clef plalet or club foot, ect. i personally feel that marijuana is stupid and theres a lot of bad mothers out there that continue to use bad drugs, cocaine, crack, prescription pills while still pregnant, it's sad to hear about babies born addicted to crack or drugs that endanger their well being-including cigarettes.
Jen

Adams, MA

#149 Jun 15, 2012
It is against the 4th amendment to test you without consent, however when you are admitted and you sign the admittance forms you may give implied consent for the hospital to do any screening they may need to do in order to treat you in case of a medical emergency, i.e., blood screen, urine screen for anything for drugs to proteins, especially if you end up in an E.R.(and who reads all the forms and the fine print when theyíre in labor.)Then if you test positive they can test the newborn incase the newborn needs immediate medical treatment. I believe in some states they may be able to test the newborn without consent if CPS demands it. Also if what I understand what if read thus far correctly, in states that do test newborns, itís not a law per se to test all newborns for drugs, but rather itís not illegal for hospitals to test for drugs without consent, and those some states if a hospital does practice this, they have to test all newborns so thereís no discrimination issues, and in other states all hospitals have to have the same criteria as to how they select who gets tested.
Another thing for new moms to be aware of is that certain soaps can cause a test to be false positive for THC in newborns,

( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47814187/ns/healt... )

and with other illicit drugs thereís also a risk of false positive in newborns. Sometimes this is due to drugs doctors prescribed during pregnancy for pregnancy related conditions. Check out:

http://childabusemd.com/laboratory/toxicology...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21252805

And some more information on toxicology screens on newborns and affects of drugs on unborn babies:

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijped/2011/95...

If your newborn has tested positive on a drug test and youíve never used illicit drugs during your pregnancy you can order a confirmatory test. The hospital is NOT required to send for a confirmatory test, so if you suspect a false positive make sure you order one, preferably before you leave the hospital (the hospital staff or CPS will most likely inform before you are discharged that your newborn tested positive).
One more thing: if you smoked pot during your pregnancy, your baby WILL NOT have withdrawals, like some other poster stated, so donít worry about that, but still smoking weed probably isnít the healthiest thing for your baby- there are NO studies on eating brownies though lol- I wouldnít risk it, but if you absolutely have the need to have marijuana while pregnant, brownies are probably better than smoking. As for other drugs such as meth, crack, cocaine and heroin, if you have done these during your pregnancy it is absolutely NECESSARY that you inform you OB/gyn. If you used regularly, and you are far enough along you CAN NOT DETOX, or go cold turkey, your withdrawals can cause serious harm to you unborn baby, and can often times cause a miscarriage or still birth. Your OB/gyn. will discuss the best treatment for you and your unborn child. This may include methadone treatment, in which case yes, your baby will most likely suffer withdrawals. However, if you are honest, work with your doctor, follow the treatment plan to a T and are serious that you will change for the baby, then your doctor will probably be your biggest advocate in helping you keep your baby. CPS will also be more likely to work with you if you are truly serious about keeping clean. Just whatever you do, DONíT keep your addiction from your doctor out of fear of CPS or legal consequences.
confidential22

Hemet, CA

#151 Jul 5, 2012
why wont yall stop beinq so damn judqemental she asked ah Question nd nt yur opinion on weed smokinq durinq preqnancy sooo if yu ddnt have nth to say abt tha Question at hand den yu shudve keot yur nasty comments nd rude names to yurself ! remember if yu dnt have nth nice to say dnt say nth at all
Taylor

Ukiah, CA

#152 Jul 15, 2012
sarah wrote:
Weed ISN'T a drug like cocaine or heroin. It's a natural plant. There's no proven statistics that it can do anything to your baby besides cause ADHD or a slower learning rate. People can function when they're high from weed. Therefore, just because someone smokes weed, doesn't mean they can't take care of their baby after it's born. It doesn't have any effect like alcohal.
seriously, there are no studies that even say pot slows down the learning capability, I've read that it,tends to make them smarter than ones who didn't have Mj in the womb.
Bugs

Berwyn, IL

#153 Jul 18, 2012
If people would put down Their bibles and actually read the studies, marijuana has shown no effects on pregnancy, whatsoever. Once you sift thru the conservative bs, the alcohol and big pharma lobbyist, and the government propaganda, you actually see the truth in the matter. NO EFFECTS.
umm

Glasgow, KY

#154 Jul 18, 2012
veronica wrote:
Do they drug test newborn baby's in Glasgow ky
YES!!! every baby is tested at TJ....they dont have to have a diaper to do this!!!!
ericka

Corbin, KY

#155 Aug 8, 2012
wondering wrote:
and just b/c she sometimes smokes pot doesn't mean she can't be a good mother its just pot not crack or anything
hey dumb ass did ya know just pot doubles your babies risk of having sids. if she really cared for her unborn child like she pretends she does she wouldnt do any drugs but the one prescribed to her. your friend is a dumb ass and doesnt deserve to have her baby.
LOL

Decorah, IA

#156 Aug 8, 2012
They only drug test newborns if they suspect something. They don't drug test them by default.
works in the nursery

Glasgow, KY

#158 Aug 22, 2012
TJ Samson does a drug test on every baby born. FYI to the lady who said she changed every diaper, there is a couple of hours after the baby is born in which the nursery has the baby to do all their testing. They do not need a diaper to do the drug testing. You can get a stool sample by inserting a small tool into the rectum. When you are admitted to the hospital to have your baby, you sign a consent form for all testing on the newborn, included in this consent is drug testing. This is done to make sure the baby has nothing in its system and if it does they can do emergency treatment for withdrawals (not from THC) which can kill a newborn....
beanie w

United States

#159 Aug 24, 2012
oh please wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell ya Sarah Stoner! You tell 'em! Let's roll up some poison Ivy and smoke the hell out of it because it's a natural plant too, isn't it? Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do it. Why do you smoke pot? Because it f*cks with your nervous system and gets you "high", right? If it didn't cause a change in your body you wouldn't spend the grocery money on it if it didn't do something for you, right? In your "educated" opinion it's okay for a mother to be responsible for her childrens safety when her body and brain is being affected by a substance that makes her lay around in a fog and mellowed out like a zombie? I suppose when you are in lala land you really don't care what your latest flavor-of-the-month boyfriend is doing to your babies in another room. Maybe he is letting your babies do what you think is so innocent...getting high and chillin' with their new daddy. It's all good and it's all natural, huh Sarah Stoner?
They say that smoking pot kills brain cells and those dead brain cells don't magically come back to life. You are the poster child for dumb ass stoners with no brain cells to spare.
This is a very closed mind view of marijuana use. Clearly you are perfect and were able to withstand any and all problems life hands you. This is a twisted remark to a comment merely stating that marijuana use during pregnancy had less adverse effects than alcohol use. First and foremost, you clearly know ABSOLUTELY nothing about marijuana. There are many many different kinds that have many different effects. I know more people that are active smokers and are still very 'get up and go' kind of people than lazy people who don't smoke and would instead like to blame their weight or other health issues for their laziness. Marijuana use is a NATURAL remedy for many disorders. Each prescribed pill is effective for less than a handful of issues. does anyone (besides the government) really know what effect Zoloft has on a persons physical and mental stability long term? Does anyone really care anymore? The problem you have is the same with the government...You aren't making money off it but go ahead and pay your thousands a year in pills to keep yourself sane. Being happy Carries a price no doubt, but I'll put my money on something that has been a known natural remedy for as long as man had roamed this earth instead of something out of a science fiction book. You have absolutely no idea what you are putting into your body with each and every single prescription but I know exactly where my drug was grown, how it was grown, what's really in it and even who cultivated the crop. You want to talk about uneducated? Who's really the uneducated one? You believe the government is ever going to be completely honest? 100 percent forthcoming? Not happening. I'm a see it to believe it person and I've seen where mine came from...twice as effective half the cost ALMOST ZERO risk...these days the warning labels and lists of so called side effects are far longer than the one single benefit you may get from this forty dollar pill. Sure there are a number of varieties to try, but they all come with the same warning. Warning label for pot: WARNING: MAY CAUSE SENSE OF EUPHORIA, AN APPETITE, AND A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON THE WORLD AROUND YOU..MAY ALSO MAKE YOU DROWSY ENOUGH TO SLEEP, RELAXED ENOUGH TO LAUGH, AND CARE FREE ENOUGH TO LOVE THYSELF AND THY NEIGHBOR.
The facts

United States

#160 Sep 12, 2012
oh please wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell ya Sarah Stoner! You tell 'em! Let's roll up some poison Ivy and smoke the hell out of it because it's a natural plant too, isn't it? Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do it. Why do you smoke pot? Because it f*cks with your nervous system and gets you "high", right? If it didn't cause a change in your body you wouldn't spend the grocery money on it if it didn't do something for you, right? In your "educated" opinion it's okay for a mother to be responsible for her childrens safety when her body and brain is being affected by a substance that makes her lay around in a fog and mellowed out like a zombie? I suppose when you are in lala land you really don't care what your latest flavor-of-the-month boyfriend is doing to your babies in another room. Maybe he is letting your babies do what you think is so innocent...getting high and chillin' with their new daddy. It's all good and it's all natural, huh Sarah Stoner?
They say that smoking pot kills brain cells and those dead brain cells don't magically come back to life. You are the poster child for dumb ass stoners with no brain cells to spare.
I think you should just jump off a bridge. Who are you or anyone else to judge someone? Your not perfect and neither is anyone else. Your the fucking idiot because if you knew anything you would know the effects of marijuana are UNKNOWN. There has been NO conclusive study that says that JUST using marijuana harms a fetus in ANY way. People have their own beliefs, but to go out of your way to bring someone else down that's just fucked up. Why don't you do your research & look up the effects of alcohol & then compare that to marijuana & then tell me & everyone else that it's bad. Alcohol is legal & yet millions of babies & people die every year from it but yet our government seems to think its better than pot. Uneducated people irritate me more than anything.
Chantel

United States

#161 Sep 21, 2012
oh please wrote:
<quoted text>
You're brain dead dude. Pot is the best known cure for brain cancer, dumb ass. It straight kills all those cancerous cells, not the brain cells. Do some research darling, weed is intact a great thing. It prevent Alzheimer's disease! Don't start judging and harping and name calling until you know your facts.
John Galt

Glasgow, KY

#162 Sep 21, 2012
wondering wrote:
i have a friend who is pregnant and sometimes smokes pot and is due anyday now and is worried that they will take her baby from her if they find marijuana in the babies system does anybody know anything abt that?
get an Amlsh midwife, stsy home, quit making your kid dependent on dope. kid will cry alot, when he/she can't get it
after he/she is born.
wise up, fot the love of your baby
pregnant mother

North Las Vegas, NV

#163 Oct 10, 2012
ericka wrote:
<quoted text>
hey dumb ass did ya know just pot doubles your babies risk of having sids. if she really cared for her unborn child like she pretends she does she wouldnt do any drugs but the one prescribed to her. your friend is a dumb ass and doesnt deserve to have her baby.
before u start calling people names and making judgement calls u are not qualified to make do some research. there is NO proof of any harm or birth defects, including ADD/ADHD resulting from use of marijuana. people like you make my skin crawl and are THE REASON for such common misconceptions in america.
38 Weeks

United States

#164 Oct 27, 2012
I am currently 38 Weeks and smoke occasionally. I snored with my son and daughter as well and was not drug tested with either. My son is going on 5 and the doctor said he is highly advanced for his age. I'm not gonna tell you that my smoking habits made him ahead but I can say it sure didn't harm anything.
wow

El Monte, CA

#166 Nov 8, 2012
Ive done alot of research and What I found is they test upon suspicion or if your baby exhibits signs of withdrawal...Google it and you will see!!! This is the policy in ky
Christina

Ontario, CA

#167 Dec 8, 2012
wondering wrote:
thank you and she doesn't do crack or anything she occasionally smokes pot and there are no known facts that pot effects a baby except it does the same thing cigg do
My friend smoked weed her whole pregnancy and they tested CPs did have to go to her house to make sure the living situation was suitable but did not take her baby. All these lame asses need to calm down it's fucken weed not like she's shooting heroin! I'm 8 months pregnant and smoked in the beginning of my pregnancy and my doctor said it was nothing to worry about.
Christina

Ontario, CA

#168 Dec 8, 2012
ericka wrote:
<quoted text>
Pot doesn't double the risk of SIDS smoking tobacco does. I have one of the best obgyns in the state she said weed has no effect on Sid but if your doing a drug with a chemical it does. Weed is an herb you ppl need to get your facts straight!
ask yourself

Glasgow, KY

#169 Dec 8, 2012
38 Weeks wrote:
I am currently 38 Weeks and smoke occasionally. I snored with my son and daughter as well and was not drug tested with either. My son is going on 5 and the doctor said he is highly advanced for his age. I'm not gonna tell you that my smoking habits made him ahead but I can say it sure didn't harm anything.
Have you thought about what damage you have caused to them on down the road?
sparky

Glasgow, KY

#170 Dec 11, 2012
I have been known to smoke a little pot from time to time but NEVER while I was with child. Then again, I didn't consume anything that I second guessed. My outlook was this; I am responsible for this tiny, INNOCENT, human life... one that has only me to rely on to be healthy, safe and happy. Smoking pot (ciggs, caffine or the introduction of any other form of drug... or anything else that may be considered to be unhealthy) was a choice I made for myself and should be no different for my unborn baby.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min SistaNoneYa 138,068
Genital Peircings 7 min Kittycat 1
Brandon trae Gordon 7 min A real beAst 6
Laynees MOTHER 14 min In sight 44
Laynee Wallace body found 26 min smh 42
Golden Gate Bridges 46 min nnnnn 7
missing child 56 min Love 138
Did they find Anthony Barbour in temple hill? 14 hr was his relative 13
Missing Laynee 14 hr Billy 17
More from around the web

Glasgow People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance