wandering woods
Connie

Frankfort, KY

#61 Apr 7, 2011
ken wrote:
I worked there the first two years it was open and we called it the chapel which had a revolving stage and it was on the hill there was also a silent movie theatre in the village along with other shops
Hi Ken - I know this is an old post but I just found it. I am interested in connecting with anyone who worked at Wondering Woods. My dad is Herby Moore and I worked in the silent movie theater a couple of summers before that (the original) building burned. Thank you, Connie Moore (connieartie@fewpb.net)
Connie

Frankfort, KY

#62 Apr 7, 2011
old employee wrote:
I worked there when I was in my early teens. The park bought it and now it is gone completely, you could never even tell that it was there at one time. They put the new road from the cave right in the middle of wondering woods. I never new it had a theater though it had a cave and little gits shops that was about it.
Hi Old Employee! I know this is an old post but I just found it. I am looking for any one who used to work at Wondering Woods. My dad, Herby Moore, owned it and I worked there a few years. My name is Connie Moore and you can email me at connieartie@fewpb.net. Thanks!
opinion

Glasgow, KY

#63 Apr 7, 2011
Wondering Woods was a neat place. I was one of the children in the 1974 movie. A group of us went every day for probably 2-3 weeks. Every morning we would have to go in and have our make-up put on and the make-up artists would get into big discussions about which kids had the best skin tones to work with and so on. There was a lot of just hanging out until actual filming took place. A few years after that our junior high school shot lots of small group photos there for our yearbook. Herbie Moore purchased the player piano for the restaurant-like shop from a relative of mine - I remember playing on that piano at her house before she sold it.
Chris

United States

#64 Mar 29, 2012
Connie wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Ken - I know this is an old post but I just found it. I am interested in connecting with anyone who worked at Wondering Woods. My dad is Herby Moore and I worked in the silent movie theater a couple of summers before that (the original) building burned. Thank you, Connie Moore (connieartie@fewpb.net)
. wow your his son. I just found these postings. I like so many others went there as a kid back in the day. I met your dad in fact. There was a car that he had. It was an Excalibur. I so loved it. He gave me an my dad a ride in it. If I recall right I want to say your dad even was wearing bidoverhalls. As I read these it brngs back thing I miss now. I heard that it closed an thngs were moved out. I remember going to the theater an seeing a silent movie and the saloon with the dancers the blacksmith shop the school the store. I remember a lot. I remember the cider and stuff. I hope you have some special members as well. Wish I could go back today. He'll I would l e to have worked there then an now.
youtube

Elizabethtown, KY

#65 Mar 29, 2012
I read through some of the comments but not all so forgive me if im repeating but if you go to youtube and search wandering woods you can see the movie that they shot there. Also years later a group has made a horror movie there too. Idk if its worth watching but at least you could still see what was once there. The horror movie might have been shot once it had been rundown though.
Memory of childhood

Glasgow, KY

#66 Apr 1, 2012
I remember when I was a kid at Austin Tracy. I think I was in the second or third grade which would have been about 1975 we got to go on a field trip there. It was a big experience for me because I never got to go anywhere. I loved it and think about it ever so often. Thanks for the reminder.
Eddie parsley

Edmonton, KY

#67 Mar 3, 2013
My dads name is Albert parsley he worked at wondering woods in the late 70's and until it closed me and my brother also worked there as kids we loved it
Connie Moore

Frankfort, KY

#68 Mar 3, 2013
Eddie parsley wrote:
My dads name is Albert parsley he worked at wondering woods in the late 70's and until it closed me and my brother also worked there as kids we loved it
Thanks for replying, Eddie! I remember your dad well and you and your brother, too! It was a great place. Is your dad still living? I hope you are well and thank you again for the response.
naughty bear

Glasgow, KY

#69 Mar 4, 2013
curious wrote:
i know, but they tell of the old theater being haunted, would love to go during the day just to check it out.
I will take you
Soul Gaze

Glasgow, KY

#71 Mar 5, 2013
Does anyone know if Mammoth Cave still owns the place now? I'd like to ask for permission to photograph it. Thanks.
Jay Jay

Glasgow, KY

#72 Mar 5, 2013
Soul Gaze wrote:
Does anyone know if Mammoth Cave still owns the place now? I'd like to ask for permission to photograph it. Thanks.
Yes they do. Not much left to photograph,Most
of if not all of the buildings have be removed.
Soul Gaze

Glasgow, KY

#73 Mar 6, 2013
Jay Jay wrote:
<quoted text>Yes they do. Not much left to photograph,Most
of if not all of the buildings have be removed.
Good. I've heard there was still one left, the tower. I have an interest in historical and abandoned buildings. Thanks!
Wondering Woods owner

Elizabethtown, KY

#74 Apr 29, 2013
The Village is gone, but will always be remembered by those who loved it. It was a special place where everyone had a good time and a great meal, if you ate at Aunt Bea's. There was a cool trolley ride around the village to the old farm, the cave and then back to the village. The blacksmith's shop was really cool with lots of old tools, horseshoes, and the sounds of a hammer hitting hot steel. Aunt Bea's was the restaurant with lots of country cooked foods on the menue and blackberry cobbler was the desert of choice of most. Lucy was the head cook here and she wanted everyone to have great food, sub par food would not fly with her. Bessy ran the Old Mill and had the best lemonaid and cookies you ever tasted and her quilts were all handmade by her. Paul ran the Old General Store and was a real answer man about the old days.
War Wizard

Glasgow, KY

#75 May 1, 2013
Friend of mine went there once, she won't talk about what happened other than it scarred the shit out of her...and bam there's Mrs. Hanky lmao
But yeah seriously though she won't talk about it
SDF

Summerville, SC

#76 May 1, 2013
War Wizard wrote:
Friend of mine went there once, she won't talk about what happened other than it scarred the shit out of her...and bam there's Mrs. Hanky lmao
But yeah seriously though she won't talk about it
What do you believe it was she experienced or saw? Same say it was a cultish place with a sacrificial site. Anyone know anything?
Donnamoody

United States

#77 Dec 20, 2013
park city girl wrote:
i wish i would have got the chance to see it when it was all there.
but, i did get to see the beautiful castel
i wish it was still there
was it worth going and seeing it?
I had several family members that worked there for years, Ed the blacksmith, Stella who worked in the old house by the cave, she would make apple butter, and quilted.. I knew the place like the back of my hand. I was lucky to spend a lot of my summer there. I even got to be in a tourism movie that was made about the place. Such a shame it's gone
Doctor

Glasgow, KY

#78 Dec 21, 2013
Went there on field trips when I was in school, loved it!
A man ahead of his time

Horse Cave, KY

#79 Dec 21, 2013
Type in Wondering Woods into Google and you will get this YouTube video of he Park:

For those people who never got to see the Park. Herby Moore was a visionary, but he was ahead of his time. Cave City needs more people with his vision.
Doug

Lyndhurst, NJ

#80 Jul 25, 2014
My mother just found some type of souviegner from here(Wandering Woods). We went one year and it was there and fine and couple years later it was gone. Such a shame. We in America just want to tear everything down, cant keep anything. I read somewhere that our oldest building is eons younger than the oldest buildings in the Orient.

I have been to Guntown Mountain too. Very neat place, gun fights, snake oil salesman, think I still have the bottle I bought. A few rides but a neat place from what I remember. You took a lift to the top of the mountain to get to it.
Truth

Glasgow, KY

#81 Jul 26, 2014
Doug wrote:
My mother just found some type of souviegner from here(Wandering Woods). We went one year and it was there and fine and couple years later it was gone. Such a shame. We in America just want to tear everything down, cant keep anything. I read somewhere that our oldest building is eons younger than the oldest buildings in the Orient.

I have been to Guntown Mountain too. Very neat place, gun fights, snake oil salesman, think I still have the bottle I bought. A few rides but a neat place from what I remember. You took a lift to the top of the mountain to get to it.
The tower is still standing, but protected as a bat preserve. Guntown Mountain is relatively unchanged and still opens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New 18 y/o looking for action from all ages 1 hr BigBoy00 4
Yancy brewery 2 hr Bmless 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Wisdom of Ages 174,863
new word association game (Sep '09) 5 hr another 52
word game (Feb '10) 6 hr another 52
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '15) 6 hr another 1,565
Word Association (Jun '08) 6 hr another 6,157

Glasgow Jobs

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages