Hanging of 'Truck Nuts' Grows into a ...

Hanging of 'Truck Nuts' Grows into a Free Speech Debate

Posted in the Glasgow Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jason

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Aug 2, 2011
Don't touch my junk,' is taking on new meaning.

"Truck nuts," fake bull testicles made of plastic or metal that drivers hang on the back of their pickups to make a truck look more manly, have been around for years. Some find them funny, while others find them offensive, prompting at least three states to try to ban them -- unsuccessfully.

But a recent case in South Carolina is fueling debate over whether these ornaments violate a state's indecency laws and if attempting to regulate them infringes on freedom of speech.

trucknuts

On July 5, Virginia Tice, 65, from Bonneau, S.C. pulled her pickup truck into a local gas station with red, fake testicles dangling from the trailer hitch. The town's police chief, Franco Fuda, pulled up and asked her to remove the plastic testicles.

When she refused, he wrote her a $445 ticket saying that she violated South Carolina’s obscene bumper sticker law.

The South Carolina code of laws reads,“a sticker, decal, emblem, or device is indecent … in a patently offensive way, as determined by contemporary community standards, sexual acts, excretory functions, or parts of the human body.”

Tice lawyered up and said that she was preparing to challenge Fuda in court. But before she could ask for a jury trial, Fuda, in a rare move, beat her to it.

Fuda says he is pushing for a jury trial and hopes the outcome will clarify the state’s obscenity laws, leaving no room for misinterpretation.

“The law is very clear, and I am prepared to take it all the way,” Fuda told FoxNews.com .

Scott Bischoff, Tice’s lawyer, says his client is not bowing down because “this whole thing was caused by the arresting officer, who is arbitrarily interpreting a statute incorrectly.”

Bischoff will argue whether these large, red, plastic testicles are “really an accurate depiction of a human body part.”

“He is nuts,” says Jay Bender, a lawyer and professor at the University of South Carolina, referring to Fuda and his interpretation of the law. Bender says although tasteless and stupid, they are not illegal, and adds,“Chief Fuda is abusing his arrest powers.” He says the statute is very clear about what material is obscene and “it doesn’t have anything to do with artificial bull testicles.”

David Hudson, a First Amendment attorney and scholar, says laws banning these types of decals, emblems or bumper stickers are problematic, but often someone just hasn’t challenged them.

Hudson believes Tice and her lawyer can make a good case the South Carolina law is “unconstitutionally vague and unconstitutionally board, and it violates the First Amendment.”
Jason

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Aug 2, 2011
In the past, lawmakers in Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland and Florida have proposed legislation to ban these types of decals and other explicit bumper stickers.

Hudson detailed many cases where law enforcement officials cited individuals for the content of their bumper stickers, and in the majority of those cases, a judge tossed them out because “the First Amendment protects a great deal of offensive expression.”

Hudson also cites the Supreme Court’s opinion that “the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable.”

Even though the attempts to ban "truck nuts" have been unsuccessful, customers are still leery about their legality.

Trick Trucks, a truck accessory chain, has been selling them for years and has had customers question whether they are illegal. Keith Dillard says sales at his Lanham, Md., store are hit and miss, but “when people talk about outlawing or banning them, they come in to buy them up.”

“I can’t see a piece of plastic being offensive, it’s not like you can’t see that along the road, there are farms all over,” says Ron Pelletier, assistant manager of the Trick Trucks in Waldof, Md. Both say most people buy them as gag gifts.

Neither side in Bonneau, S.C., is laughing over this legal mess, but they do agree the public interest in the case is shocking. Fuda said that he’s been getting a lot of feedback from people, including one Florida woman who stopped by the police station to say she was glad he wrote the ticket, while another man called to ask,“if we didn’t have anything better to do?”

“We concur with the sentiments of people in our community and across the nation that this whole thing is a big waste of time, but it was all started by Chief Fuda,” says Bischoff.

The case goes to trial next month.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 Aug 2, 2011
Oh good lord, how stupid!! Well, if they ban truck nuts, won't they also have to ban the stickers that feature the boy peeing on various sports teams, auto brands, etc- afterall, that IS bodily excrement as stated in the law.. oh, and they had better ban bumper stickers featuring sillouettes of nude women too.. I mean, that *almost shows indecent body parts.. kinda like truck nuts are *almost similar in appearance to bull testicles... I mean really people this is OUTRAGEOUS!! Ya know, Im just throwing this out here- but anyone in favor of this law needs to take a step back and ask themselves where the line is when it comes to freedom of speech and expression. You start blurring those lines, and it makes it only all too easy for them to take more and more of it away. Not to mention- what kind of people have we become if we ALLOW and NEED the government to tell us how we can and cant decorate our own personal belongings?! Yes, I know this is only about truck nutz- right now- BUT consider for a moment that there is a larger picture here, and it involves YOUR personal rights as Americans.
Action Johhny

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Sep 1, 2011
I am for it. Get this garbage off the public roads.
Aunt Bea

Glasgow, KY

#5 Sep 1, 2011
When I see these on a truck in front of us and the kids ask about them, I use the opportunity to explain 'class'.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 1, 2011
Are the vaginas on hybrid cars banned too?
Busybee

Glasgow, KY

#7 Sep 1, 2011
all I got to say is rednecks.
jesse james

Glasgow, KY

#8 Sep 2, 2011
im all for freedom of speech so im gonna put my opinion out there. I personally think "truck nuts" are for figin redneck fags. I saw a dude in a silver silverado with some metal ones hangin the other day and it was the gayest thing ive ever seen. i think its hilarious, how stupid you gotta be to think that shit is cool. Just my opinion, seein as we was talkin bout freedom of speech and all. Still kinda lost on how hanging nuts from a hitch is freedom of speech or expression. Are rednecks like hey im feeling kinda creative today, i think ill express myself by hanging me sum dang ole bull nuts from my truck, boy all the other rednecks will sure think im cool then.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#9 Sep 2, 2011
jesse james wrote:
im all for freedom of speech so im gonna put my opinion out there. I personally think "truck nuts" are for figin redneck fags. I saw a dude in a silver silverado with some metal ones hangin the other day and it was the gayest thing ive ever seen. i think its hilarious, how stupid you gotta be to think that shit is cool. Just my opinion, seein as we was talkin bout freedom of speech and all. Still kinda lost on how hanging nuts from a hitch is freedom of speech or expression. Are rednecks like hey im feeling kinda creative today, i think ill express myself by hanging me sum dang ole bull nuts from my truck, boy all the other rednecks will sure think im cool then.
It's suppose to be funny.Why do people have to get so butt hurt. A bunch of big nagging babies.Why shouldn't you be allowed to hang anything from your hitch? It's YOUR hitch. Can I take the ugly ass wheels off of your car because I don't like them? NO. How is this any different?
Aunt Bea

Glasgow, KY

#10 Sep 2, 2011
lluv u wrote:
<quoted text>It's suppose to be funny.Why do people have to get so butt hurt. A bunch of big nagging babies.Why shouldn't you be allowed to hang anything from your hitch? It's YOUR hitch. Can I take the ugly ass wheels off of your car because I don't like them? NO. How is this any different?
Are you serious? You don't know the difference between a set of wheels and testicles?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#11 Sep 2, 2011
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? You don't know the difference between a set of wheels and testicles?
They technically aren't testicles they are just shaped exactly the same. Why do you care so much? If you don't like it don't look at them.It's a freaking piece of rubber that's it.
Aunt Bea

Glasgow, KY

#12 Sep 2, 2011
lluv u wrote:
<quoted text>They technically aren't testicles they are just shaped exactly the same. Why do you care so much? If you don't like it don't look at them.It's a freaking piece of rubber that's it.
Rubber shaped like testicles isn't just a freaking piece of rubber. Put them on your truck if you want to. I don't care. But I think it shows your intelligence level and class. If that is the image you want to project to the world, go for it. It reflects negatively against you, not against me.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#13 Sep 2, 2011
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>Rubber shaped like testicles isn't just a freaking piece of rubber. Put them on your truck if you want to. I don't care. But I think it shows your intelligence level and class. If that is the image you want to project to the world, go for it. It reflects negatively against you, not against me.
How does it show class and intelligence? How isn't it just a piece of rubber? Explain that to me. Can they sexually reproduce? You sound like a snobby bitch.
obamasux

Eastview, KY

#14 Sep 2, 2011
Its not the truck nuts yes however they are f**king stupid its the diesel smoke that should be banned
Aunt Bea

Glasgow, KY

#15 Sep 2, 2011
lluv u wrote:
<quoted text>How does it show class and intelligence? How isn't it just a piece of rubber? Explain that to me. Can they sexually reproduce? You sound like a snobby bitch.
I am a snobby bitch. It is hard to explain class to people who don't have any.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#16 Sep 2, 2011
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>I am a snobby bitch. It is hard to explain class to people who don't have any.
Really lady? You're on the trashiest website but yet you have class? You're probably some overweight white trash bitch that thinks she's all that. What kind of class do you have?
Aunt Bea

Glasgow, KY

#17 Sep 2, 2011
lluv u wrote:
<quoted text>Really lady? You're on the trashiest website but yet you have class? You're probably some overweight white trash bitch that thinks she's all that. What kind of class do you have?
Rotflmao. You know me. Say hi next time we meet. I am a bitch, freely admit it but I am not overweight and I have never been called trashy. Does that give you any hints?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#18 Sep 2, 2011
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>Rotflmao. You know me. Say hi next time we meet. I am a bitch, freely admit it but I am not overweight and I have never been called trashy. Does that give you any hints?
It sounds like 80% of the hoes in Glasgow.
Aunt Bea

Glasgow, KY

#19 Sep 2, 2011
Sweetheart, I am a pillar of the community and the salt of the earth. My name is Aunt Bea after all.

It's been fun bantering with you but it's bedtime for me now, I have full day tomorrow.
funny

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Sep 2, 2011
Who gives a crap? Anyone with since knows this younger generation is lost. Either daddy bought their truck or was dumb enough to sign for it. Either way its silly. Most of it is young boys confusied whether they are straight or queer. What real man needs to proclaim his manhood showing off others nuts. Half these kids will be on welfare.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ReallyAkebonoOkThen 23 min omg 6
Should the U.S. dollar be backed by diamonds 25 min omg 2
The Obama portraits 50 min 50 yr old bear 36
Why does my post keep getting deleted? 2 hr Nope 34
boltons landing closed????? (Oct '07) 3 hr Nope 50
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '15) 3 hr another 1,504
6 letter word game..change one letter! (Apr '09) 3 hr another 1,091

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Glasgow Mortgages