Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81704 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#72698 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Me too. I just talked to a family member this afternoon who's in Boston on business and they felt that earthquake there. Said she'd felt stronger ones in her travels, but it was a bit unnerving to her at any rate. Specially being in a high rise motel in the heart of downtown Boston..
That New Madrid Fault really concerns me, that much I will admit. If that thing shifts like it did in the 1800's, well.. We all know how much devastation would occur and there would be no escape.. Not to mention, the Wolf Creek Dam scenario..
You are right. It is extremely unusual to be aware of even a small earthquake in the Boston, Ma. area. I was a lifelong resident of MA. until we moved to KY fourteen years ago. If I recall correctly, we did feel a very minor tremor there about 16 years ago, with the epicenter being in NY state. It makes you wonder what on earth is going on with these odd occurrences.

I have been keeping track of the animal die-offs, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions, and this seems to be a period of disruption for planet earth. Some of this activity may be related to heightened solar activity. We are within a two year span of solar max., through 2013. So the activity (solar flares, solar wind, etc.) will peak in about another year.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#72700 Oct 17, 2012
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad that NOPE has joined the conversation. It's like a fresh breath of air. Plus, the style of writing, syntax, and vocabulary level tells me that there is an intelligent person posting. Why don't you just chill and join the conversation in a polite way. You will always be treated as you treat others.
Thank you, Lala. That was awefully nice of you to say! I enjoy this thread and really do appreciate the fact that we can share experiences, give each other helpful advice, and also make sure we're all up to date on current events.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72701 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Me too. I just talked to a family member this afternoon who's in Boston on business and they felt that earthquake there. Said she'd felt stronger ones in her travels, but it was a bit unnerving to her at any rate. Specially being in a high rise motel in the heart of downtown Boston..
That New Madrid Fault really concerns me, that much I will admit. If that thing shifts like it did in the 1800's, well.. We all know how much devastation would occur and there would be no escape.. Not to mention, the Wolf Creek Dam scenario..
I have a friend at Fort Meade who was troubled about it and thinking about hometown Paducah and the implications of the Madrid Fault taking half of Kentucky with it when it blows. All that research on earthquakes taught us a lot, that is why I kept up the earthquake report. If they are happening in the Madrid Fault, I want to know about it. Got to be prepared. They say it could be bad enough to split the country in half with the Great Lakes flowing right down to the Gulf. That was a scary video, done by the Navy I think. What will be will be, but if you are prepared you can survive the aftermath if you survive the initial quake. Them doing the National Earthquake Drill last May shows they are aware of all of them around the world, especially in our country.

Location hidden

#72704 Oct 17, 2012
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>I have been keeping track of the animal die-offs, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions, and this seems to be a period of disruption for planet earth. Some of this activity may be related to heightened solar activity. We are within a two year span of solar max., through 2013. So the activity (solar flares, solar wind, etc.) will peak in about another year.
I have as well. Paying particular attention as well to the wildlife that lives around us on the property. Last year the squirrels were frantic, albeit late, in getting their cache of winter food stored away. Yet we hardly had any winter to speak of, which I thought was pretty bizarre. Animals can tell us so much if we just observe and take note of what they do day to day throughout the seasons.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72705 Oct 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Good night Ab, Nope, Lala. I am ou of here. My eyes need a break. CLICK
Sweet dreams Ancient Wolf. Have a good night.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72709 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Lala. That was awefully nice of you to say! I enjoy this thread and really do appreciate the fact that we can share experiences, give each other helpful advice, and also make sure we're all up to date on current events.
I think the same as lala, I hope we can keep the thread clean and continue on with the sharing. We have a lot to share. It is a shame someone has to make it their lifelong quest to kill the thread. Pretty sad I would say to even admit that, let alone feel that way. There are so many threads with so many subjects one could follow besides the Bird thread.

Location hidden

#72711 Oct 17, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a friend at Fort Meade who was troubled about it and thinking about hometown Paducah and the implications of the Madrid Fault taking half of Kentucky with it when it blows. All that research on earthquakes taught us a lot, that is why I kept up the earthquake report. If they are happening in the Madrid Fault, I want to know about it. Got to be prepared. They say it could be bad enough to split the country in half with the Great Lakes flowing right down to the Gulf. That was a scary video, done by the Navy I think. What will be will be, but if you are prepared you can survive the aftermath if you survive the initial quake. Them doing the National Earthquake Drill last May shows they are aware of all of them around the world, especially in our country.
Yes, Paducah would be in dire straits if it shifts. I can only imagine in my worse nightmares the shear number of people who would perish during the initial quake. And the aftershocks?

Plus hearing about how the quake caused the Mississippi to actually reverse it's flow? It's fascinating in certain aspects, learning about what happened back then... But realizing how much danger could be unleashed is so terrifying at the same time.
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72712 Oct 17, 2012
I am deeply moved and inspired that I have decided to stay here and continually post and be a positive role model for a long time to come.

Thank you to all my friends and decent posters.

I can't wait to see your brilliant ideas on what we can do to help the environment.
Imposter

Evarts, KY

#72714 Oct 17, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the same as lala, I hope we can keep the thread clean and continue on with the sharing. We have a lot to share. It is a shame someone has to make it their lifelong quest to kill the thread. Pretty sad I would say to even admit that, let alone feel that way. There are so many threads with so many subjects one could follow besides the Bird thread.
If you cant feel the evil from that brown eye, that's your problem sister, you were warned.
There's something "not quite right" about your new boss. Be careful who you trust in so quickly, woman. Take heed of a man's word, as you should. All that glitters is not gold.
"CLICK"
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72715 Oct 17, 2012
I hope that after nearly 2 years, we find out what killed those poor birds.
crazy duck

Somerset, KY

#72716 Oct 17, 2012
mächïnë crüëlty
I fünctïon Ï fünct&#299;ön I fünctïon Ï fünct&#299;ön

Location hidden

#72717 Oct 17, 2012
Lala, what part if Kentucky do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72720 Oct 17, 2012
This can be the greatest thread of all-time. Together, I hope we can make that happen.

Warmest Regards,

A New and Improved DontCare

Location hidden

#72721 Oct 17, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
The thread will be fine. It's up to us to KEEP it in order though. So far I've enjoyed it again, just as I did last year. If however it starts to take a dive I guess I'll peel again, LOL!! Not that my views will change on current events or what we might be facing in the future, mind you....
:)
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72723 Oct 17, 2012
Something positive, spring time weather today, beautiful, I'm not a fan of cold weather.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72725 Oct 17, 2012
New Madrid Fault Intro: Site map
Dec. 1811- Feb. 1812
"My kingdom for a horse"

River ran backward - after Mother Nature suddenly dropped a couple of dams across the nation's largest waterway.

Eyewitnesses - made notes of 1811-12 quakes
Mississippi ran backward - from Enigma paper
Centennial history - several notes from eyewitnesses we hadn't seen elsewhere. Note halfway through this piece that many people gathered on Tywappity hill, 30 miles north and 7 miles inland from the river... to seek safety from the shakes. We strongly suspect the hill is now at Lake Tywappity, at the SE edge of Chaffee, MO.
First steamboat really shaken - river rerouted, island disappears

1811-12 quakes especially shook lowlands from near Niagra Falls to the Carolinas and lower Georgia.
Little Prairie residents had no warning, waded eight miles. Geysers higher than trees.
Take a self-tour of the New Madrid Seismic Zone.

Savannah Ga - felt the big one. So did Knoxville Tn. and the Carolinas-eastern seacoast & near Buffalo NY.

http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/sitemap....
Earthquakes and the New Madrid Fault Line

Here you will find listings of over 600 references that are related to the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812.

These references include newspaper articles, scientific articles, folklore, maps, and eyewitness accounts, such as the one below:

This account of the New Madrid Earthquake was recorded by George Heinrich Crist, residing at the time in the north-central Kentucky county of Nelson, near the present location of Louisville.
The Science of New Madrid

For scientific information on these events, the article described in the abstract below, "The Enigma of the New Madrid Earthquakes" by Arch Johnston and Buddy Schweig, is available for download in PDF format. This article was published in the Annual Review of Earth Planet Science in 1996.

Download the The Enigma of the New Madrid Earthquakes.
http://www.ceri.memphis.edu/compendium/

Did FEMA Expect Midwest MegaQuake by 2014?

by Sara Reardon on 1 February 2011, 5:39 PM
Is an earthquake the size of the 1811 New Madrid quake, the largest ever to hit the eastern United States, imminent in the next 3 years? Most seismologists believe that the New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ), which runs along the Mississippi River and stretches across eight states, has the potential to shift again but they can only predict a low probability of it doing so at any given time. But the Federal Emergency Management Agency issued a request for information (RFI) to vendors last week for 140 million meals ready to eat (MREs) for a projected 7 million survivors in the event of an NMSZ earthquake. Then they pulled the request, saying it was a bureaucratic error.

Read more:
http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/201...

Location hidden

#72726 Oct 17, 2012
DontCare wrote:
Something positive, spring time weather today, beautiful, I'm not a fan of cold weather.
I'm not fond of cold weather either. My bones ache, the dogs don't want to go out, I DON'T WANT TO GO OUT, lol. It's particularly difficult to take care of the chickens and other animals...

But if we didn't have winter freezes in this part of the country, the terrain would eventually be so different that we'd not recognize it any more.. Certain plants need their dormancy periods, etc. We'd eventually be missing all of our beautiful dog wood trees in bloom. Oh and the cherry, pear and apple blossoms that smell so wonderful after a long winter of being stuck indoors.

Wow, I'm looking forward to spring already just out of dread about the looming winter, HAHA!

Location hidden

#72727 Oct 17, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
New Madrid Fault Intro: Site map
Dec. 1811- Feb. 1812
"My kingdom for a horse"
River ran backward - after Mother Nature suddenly dropped a couple of dams across the nation's largest waterway.
Eyewitnesses - made notes of 1811-12 quakes
Mississippi ran backward - from Enigma paper
Centennial history - several notes from eyewitnesses we hadn't seen elsewhere. Note halfway through this piece that many people gathered on Tywappity hill, 30 miles north and 7 miles inland from the river... to seek safety from the shakes. We strongly suspect the hill is now at Lake Tywappity, at the SE edge of Chaffee, MO.
First steamboat really shaken - river rerouted, island disappears
1811-12 quakes especially shook lowlands from near Niagra Falls to the Carolinas and lower Georgia.
Little Prairie residents had no warning, waded eight miles. Geysers higher than trees.
Take a self-tour of the New Madrid Seismic Zone.
Savannah Ga - felt the big one. So did Knoxville Tn. and the Carolinas-eastern seacoast & near Buffalo NY.
http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/sitemap....
Earthquakes and the New Madrid Fault Line
Here you will find listings of over 600 references that are related to the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812.
These references include newspaper articles, scientific articles, folklore, maps, and eyewitness accounts, such as the one below:
This account of the New Madrid Earthquake was recorded by George Heinrich Crist, residing at the time in the north-central Kentucky county of Nelson, near the present location of Louisville.
The Science of New Madrid
For scientific information on these events, the article described in the abstract below, "The Enigma of the New Madrid Earthquakes" by Arch Johnston and Buddy Schweig, is available for download in PDF format. This article was published in the Annual Review of Earth Planet Science in 1996.
Download the The Enigma of the New Madrid Earthquakes.
http://www.ceri.memphis.edu/compendium/
Did FEMA Expect Midwest MegaQuake by 2014?
by Sara Reardon on 1 February 2011, 5:39 PM
Is an earthquake the size of the 1811 New Madrid quake, the largest ever to hit the eastern United States, imminent in the next 3 years? Most seismologists believe that the New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ), which runs along the Mississippi River and stretches across eight states, has the potential to shift again but they can only predict a low probability of it doing so at any given time. But the Federal Emergency Management Agency issued a request for information (RFI) to vendors last week for 140 million meals ready to eat (MREs) for a projected 7 million survivors in the event of an NMSZ earthquake. Then they pulled the request, saying it was a bureaucratic error.
Read more:
http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/201...
WOW, nice! If I get a case on insomnia tonight, I'm going go ahead and put on a pot of coffee and then take a tour of each link you gave! Awesome!
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72728 Oct 17, 2012
What we thought killed the BIRDS for the umpteen time:

Methane Gas from the Earth/Earthquakes

HAARP

Poisening by farmers or the government

feel free to add to it
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72729 Oct 17, 2012
I'm going to do what I can to help get this thread back to the original subject matter with discussion of all these dead birds in Western Kentucky back in January 2011.

Surely there's going to be more investigations into this tragedy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
show your support sat 25th on glasgow square 33 min Blade 3
Who is the best realtor? (Jul '08) 33 min G town resident 66
Big Cheeto Negotiator 49 min JR 18
Trumpcare 1 hr Chief 234
Meals on Wheels Dumped 1 hr FigureItOut 155
add a word/drop a word and 'stuff' (Nov '15) 1 hr winner 1,113
Word Association (Jun '08) 1 hr winner 5,784
Wreck in Glasgow today 3 hr yepper 9

Glasgow Jobs

More from around the web