Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Sep 27, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hi

Sheridan, AR

#1 Jul 9, 2013
Hey I'm looking to move my family to Pekin can anyone give me an email address so I can ask questions! I can facebook or email you! Thanks =)
hi

Perryville, AR

#2 Jul 21, 2013
Anyone?
fair warning

Chicago, IL

#3 Jul 22, 2013
I was going to post on this before but I didn't want to be negative but since no one else has I guess I will. My husband and I are actually moving our family out of pekin and even the state. The state of Illinois is one of the highest taxed states in the the US. And pekin has gone to hell right along with it. We've been thinking about moving for a while now. When we received our property taxes this year it made our decision final. Our taxes went up to 3k. You can look out my front door across the street and see the beverley hillbillies and smell dead fish from the river 5 blocks away and the city of Pekin actually thinks IM going to give them 3k to own a home in this God forsaken town. I think not. IM sad to leave cause this is where I was born and raised but it not the same town I grew up in. If you plan on not working and living off the state this is the place for you. You'll get your housing paid for, you'll get a food stamp card to pay for your food and a medical card to pay for all of your medical needs but if you work for a living forget it you'll never make it here. My husband and I grossed 80k last year and can barely make our bills, our children do without while the state aid drug dealing neighbors kids have whatever they what. Don't get me wrong I don't want their kids to do without they are innocent kids. However if you are working middle class people you'll never make it here. There is no longer a middle class here your either rich or state aid drug dealers. The truth hurts but it is what it is. And the average size classroom is 35 so our public schools are deteriorating as well not that we don't have good teachers they are just stretched to the max and can only do so much. Good luck. Please do some serious research before moving your family here.
hi

Perryville, AR

#4 Jul 23, 2013
fair warning wrote:
I was going to post on this before but I didn't want to be negative but since no one else has I guess I will. My husband and I are actually moving our family out of pekin and even the state. The state of Illinois is one of the highest taxed states in the the US. And pekin has gone to hell right along with it. We've been thinking about moving for a while now. When we received our property taxes this year it made our decision final. Our taxes went up to 3k. You can look out my front door across the street and see the beverley hillbillies and smell dead fish from the river 5 blocks away and the city of Pekin actually thinks IM going to give them 3k to own a home in this God forsaken town. I think not. IM sad to leave cause this is where I was born and raised but it not the same town I grew up in. If you plan on not working and living off the state this is the place for you. You'll get your housing paid for, you'll get a food stamp card to pay for your food and a medical card to pay for all of your medical needs but if you work for a living forget it you'll never make it here. My husband and I grossed 80k last year and can barely make our bills, our children do without while the state aid drug dealing neighbors kids have whatever they what. Don't get me wrong I don't want their kids to do without they are innocent kids. However if you are working middle class people you'll never make it here. There is no longer a middle class here your either rich or state aid drug dealers. The truth hurts but it is what it is. And the average size classroom is 35 so our public schools are deteriorating as well not that we don't have good teachers they are just stretched to the max and can only do so much. Good luck. Please do some serious research before moving your family here.
Thank you so much for that reply!!! It helped a lot!
Mike

Pekin, IL

#5 Jul 23, 2013
Ive lived here 14 years and have no problem paying my bills. I work and goto school. Im married and have a child. I recieve a small amount of food stamps for my newborn and other than that have never had any issues surviving. Most the people that live here a low or middle class. A lot of people get state aid here but also there is no work here.
hi

Quitman, AR

#6 Jul 24, 2013
My husbands a policeman he was looking to transfer we are looking to get a fresh start some where new an was told this was a great place! We want upper middle class area. We want a nice place for our children.
Mike

Pekin, IL

#7 Jul 24, 2013
Honestly the surrounding towns/villages may be even better. If I could afford it I would move, but dont believe everything you hear. There are drugs, drunks, and crime just like in any other city. Most of the crimes here are not felony crimes. Across the bridge in Peoria, not so good. A lot of shootings. But this stays in Peoria and very rarely comes to Pekin. A man from Peoria murdered a man in Pekin a few months ago and other than that its been years since something crazy has happened.(Other than domestic). There is not alot of work here in Pekin but surrounding areas provide there is work available. I personally would like to move to Morton or Tremont. Nothing against Pekin, I've just lived here forever and would love a change.
Mike

Pekin, IL

#8 Jul 24, 2013
Sorry for mispellings and bad grammer I am on my phone.
hi

Quitman, AR

#9 Jul 24, 2013
No problem Thank's Mike!
fair warning

Carpentersville, IL

#10 Jul 31, 2013
Mike wrote:
Ive lived here 14 years and have no problem paying my bills. I work and goto school. Im married and have a child. I recieve a small amount of food stamps for my newborn and other than that have never had any issues surviving. Most the people that live here a low or middle class. A lot of people get state aid here but also there is no work here.
I came back to see this thread just to see what else was said and "Mike" just proves my point. Obviously with my income we don't qualify for any help and with our income I states earlier we shouldn't. But with you saying you don't have any problems paying your bills actually you do or you wouldn't need food stamps. Please don't get me wrong IM not downing you. I think it's great you are going to schools to better your life and you work to support your family but for families like mine we pay full price for everything, I have two schools age kids and if you have to pay full price for enrollment and lunches all year it is not cheap. With our income we should be able to live a middle class life and we just can't. To "hi" again please do your homework my brother in law has been in law enforcement in pekin for many years and he and my sister are struggling as well. Best of luck to you and your family.
hi

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Aug 1, 2013
fair warning wrote:
<quoted text>I came back to see this thread just to see what else was said and "Mike" just proves my point. Obviously with my income we don't qualify for any help and with our income I states earlier we shouldn't. But with you saying you don't have any problems paying your bills actually you do or you wouldn't need food stamps. Please don't get me wrong IM not downing you. I think it's great you are going to schools to better your life and you work to support your family but for families like mine we pay full price for everything, I have two schools age kids and if you have to pay full price for enrollment and lunches all year it is not cheap. With our income we should be able to live a middle class life and we just can't. To "hi" again please do your homework my brother in law has been in law enforcement in pekin for many years and he and my sister are struggling as well. Best of luck to you and your family.
Thanks for the info we have decided that Pekin is NOT the place for us! Thanks for your input its really appreciated. Not downing the lower class but I don't want to live anywhere that I might have to get help getting by.
scewed in mapleton

Mapleton, IL

#12 Aug 4, 2013
definitely wouldn't choose peoria county either because after a wrongful arrest and going through the so called justice system the same jackass who arrested me made a call to our home just a week ago because an idiot who has a big mouth and talks crapt decided after leavin black marks in front of my drive he'd call the cops and whine I was arguing with people in the street...cop denies ever arresting me and to top it off they did nothing even though this idiot's grown daughter and he threatened my 12 yr old and just a week prior his sister cussed her out ....ya, I trust my law enforcement...
Pekinite

United States

#13 Aug 4, 2013
Ive lived here all my life an with its faults, it is still my hometown.

We have some of the best 1st responders you will ever find, if God forbid, you would ever need them.

Yes, taxes are too high an would love to lower them, yet this is still a great area to live in. No matter where you go, you will always find fault, if you are looking for it. Sooooo my advise dont look for the negative, but look for the possitive, you will find what you are looking for.

The poster with the man who is a police officer, have him ask those on the force, rather that take the word from anyone on a board. Its easy to find our police an most are willing to talk with you. They will treat you, most times, how you treat them, IMHO.

I wish you the best in your quest for a place to live an a job opportunity.
Pekinite

United States

#14 Aug 4, 2013
Dear Mapleton,
Pekin is NOT Mapleton. Im sorry you and your daughter did not get the response you felt you deserved.
Yes, there is always going to be a few bad apples in every basket. Do you leave them in the basket to corrupt the whole bushel? No, you pick them out, sometimes, even the bad apple has good parts, once the rotten area has been removed.
Do you try to be a good possitive part of your town? Do you go to your city council meetings, or just complain on a forum board?
Im honestly not putting you down, just asking questions. There are things in my town I dont like, so Im trying to get questions answered. Rome was not built in a day. Possitive change takes time and a strong determination.
If you think your town an its people are worth fighting for, then start today. Whats good about Mapleton?
hi

Greenbrier, AR

#15 Aug 4, 2013
Thanks everyone we are still looking we have heard good and bad we are just waiting not rushing!
mike

Pekin, IL

#16 Aug 15, 2013
I get a whole 143 dollars a month for my 8 month old baby.lol. my taxes alone prolly cover this amount.
mike

Pekin, IL

#17 Aug 15, 2013
And this is not because I cant pay my bills. This is since I have a new mouth to feed I am still able to purchase him things. I could pay my bills without this aid but this allows me to save a little in case of emergencies or whatever is needed at the time. Ill graduate in 6 months and will no longer have this because I too, will not qualify bwcause "I make too much". Like mentioned above, everywhere is goingto have problems. But id rather it be a problem with financial assistance rather than problems with gangs and murders.
Pekinite

United States

#18 Aug 15, 2013
Dear Hi,

When was the last time u visited Pekin?

Right
hi

Bigelow, AR

#19 Aug 15, 2013
Pekinite wrote:
Dear Hi,

When was the last time u visited Pekin?

Right
Actually my husband did an brother did thank u mr know it all
C-Michael

Peoria, IL

#20 Sep 12, 2013
I did business with a local merchant in Pekin from 1994 to 2001. It is amazing how much the town changed in that amount of time. By 1998 or 1999 the crime had risen considerably, due to meth. Many homes have been burglarized by druggies to support their habit. To the person who said that most of the crime in Pekin is not felony crime: methamphetamine manufacture is a federal felony.

I also had an issue where I was a victim of theft by a person from Pekin a couple of years ago. The Pekin police department and Stuart Umholtz were of no help. I was told that it was a "civil matter". Actually, I know for a fact that the suspect is good friends with many Pekin police officers. Yes, the good old boy network is alive and well in Pekin!

Pekin is actually a fairly rough town. There were a couple of times where some hillbillies/druggies with no teeth tried to provoke me into a fight. The last time was at Walgreens on Court Street in 2011. I just smirked, shook my head, and walked away.

To hi: I would suggest Morton, IL or East Peoria, IL as a place to live. Just stay away from Pekin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr B Hole 49,456
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 21 hr Corrupt Democrats 1,908
Ryan Voice (Apr '13) Sun protective dad 7
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Aug 24 Mr Ridgway 3,922
Wade Bonk/ Randy Deskin (Sep '09) Aug 21 Orion 695
Would you slow your car and allow a person in a... Aug 20 Balth 1
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) Aug 20 Weneedchange 147
•••
Glasford Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Glasford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Glasford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE