New Habitat For Humanity Project In Glade Spring Begins

There are 26 comments on the WCYB story from Feb 27, 2012, titled New Habitat For Humanity Project In Glade Spring Begins. In it, WCYB reports that:

The Washington County, Virginia Habitat for Humanity, along with Emory & Henry College, broke ground for a second home in the Glade Spring community Monday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCYB.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AWESOME

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Feb 27, 2012
Who is getting a new house now ?
lee

Knoxville, TN

#2 Feb 28, 2012
jim and the skinny red head that works at food country
AWESOME

Hurt, VA

#3 Feb 28, 2012
deserving ppl ? i sure hope and it seems they are they are working ...thats a plus
doggie thermodyne

Johnson City, TN

#4 Feb 29, 2012
AWESOME wrote:
Who is getting a new house now ?
The Rev. Jim Smith.
lee

Knoxville, TN

#5 Feb 29, 2012
you mean she is working
Glade Spring Resident

Nashville, TN

#6 Feb 29, 2012
I can't believe they are getting a new house, interest free and labor free....He has probably been stealing them blind for the last 3 years and has enough stuff already to build a house...lol....they move every 3-4 months, how r they gonna stay in a house for any length of time????
Goober

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Feb 29, 2012
If it makes life better for their 2 innocent children then I say Great!!!
You know, it wouldn't matter who got a house the naysayers would still be upset and start posting negative comments. Instead of getting out and volunteering like Mr. Smith has done let's get on the computer and bad mouth him instead...pretty sad, huh?
Curious

Knoxville, TN

#8 Feb 29, 2012
Is she the redhead who showed the whole town pics of her and the shotgun in her "you know what?"
big al

Nashville, TN

#9 Mar 1, 2012
she didnt show them her husband jim did
Glade Spring Resident

Nashville, TN

#10 Mar 1, 2012
Goober, you apparently don't know these people, the kids won't be any better off, they never will. A house doesn't make a home and doesn't give them the love, care, and affection that they need so desperatly......
Goober

Jonesborough, TN

#11 Mar 1, 2012
Glade Spring Resident wrote:
Goober, you apparently don't know these people, the kids won't be any better off, they never will. A house doesn't make a home and doesn't give them the love, care, and affection that they need so desperatly......
No a house does not make a home, but it may be the hand-up that these folks need to get back on the right track. It may be the piece of the puzzle that turns these parent's life around. It may be the piece that relieves the stress that raising kids in todays world brings.

However, since you feel that these kids will never be better off, what is your solution? For $50 we could rent them a 10 ft Storage-to-go trailer, park it near the trash dump so they can eat and hope that they just disappear!

But then again, you could step-up and take this family under your wing and do something to better the community instead of offering up negativity. You could always offer some free childcare so that they could attend a parenting class or maybe become a mentor by having them over to your house to see what a fully functioning family is like since you are holier than thou. Etc!!!

Oh yea, I do know this family and I know that they have struggled with their own demons but so have most all of us. I also know that Mr. Smith tries real hard with the limited skills and education that he has and I hope that this is the spark he needs but if not, at least they weren't forsaken by the wonderful Glade Spring Residents! And for that, I say hurray to the Wash. Co. Habitat for Humanity and the students of Emory and Henry College. Also, I say shame on you for your lack of compassion and for your judgemental attitude.

As I've seen posted on here before...put up or shut up!!!

Glade Spring Resident

Nashville, TN

#13 Mar 1, 2012
So sorry, Goober, that you feel this way, Gabe,is it? They have been given many more opportunities than most people ever get in a lifetime. They get SSI, food stamps, medicaid, Social services was even taking them shopping every month for things they needed and paying for it. They get fuel assistance, cooling assistance, People Inc. even weatherized their mobile home they owned and put in a new heat pump, then they sold the trailer for $350.00 and left it trashed with thousands of roaches in it. They only live long enough in a place to trash it and leave instead of paying the rent and bills. They have done this all of their lives and will continue to do so, there are many more deserving families out there that really need a house and would actually take care of it. Hopefully God will take care of these children, what have you done for them lately?
Goober

Jonesborough, TN

#14 Mar 1, 2012
So sorry, Goober, that you feel this way, Gabe,is it? They have been given many more opportunities than most people ever get in a lifetime. They get SSI, food stamps, medicaid, Social services was even taking them shopping every month for things they needed and paying for it. They get fuel assistance, cooling assistance, People Inc. even weatherized their mobile home they owned and put in a new heat pump, then they sold the trailer for $350.00 and left it trashed with thousands of roaches in it. They only live long enough in a place to trash it and leave instead of paying the rent and bills. They have done this all of their lives and will continue to do so, there are many more deserving families out there that really need a house and would actually take care of it. Hopefully God will take care of these children, what have you done for them lately?
No not Gabe and you needn't feel sorry for me! I'm 100% sure that some things you have mentioned above are completely untrue and having been in the Human Service field for years I have never even heard of "cooling assistance". How would you know what they have done their whole lives, they have only lived in this area for 3 or 4 years.

I'm sorry that you are such a sad individual and hopefully God will take care of you!!

Also I have done plenty for these children and this family but I seek no rewards!!!

A reply is not necessary for I have heard the wind blow all day already!
Kiss My

Chilhowie, VA

#15 Mar 2, 2012
shhhhh
Glade Spring Resident

Nashville, TN

#16 Mar 4, 2012
Usually people that live off of the system have grown up that way, if your family has the pride to work and take care of themselves it usually carries over to their children. I really feel sorry for this family, they do have a lot of problems, I just think there are more deserving families out there that could have used this help and appreciated it more. God does and has taken care of me and I pray all the time, I just hope he will take care of the people here in Glade and all over that really need it. It seems like the people that have a pact with the devil get everything handed to them, but, like the Bible says, the meek shall inherit the earth, and God knows the truth.....
Glade Spring Resident

Nashville, TN

#17 Mar 4, 2012
Oh, and the cooling assistance is in the spring/summer and they buy air conditioners and heat pumps for people and even pay to have them installed.....check it out at the Social Services website.....Ask Jim, they bought him a heat pump....

Since: Oct 07

Glade Spring, Va

#18 Mar 4, 2012
Goober wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm 100% sure that some things you have mentioned above are completely untrue and having been in the Human Service field for years I have never even heard of "cooling assistance".
Here is the application for Cooling Assistance via the Virginia Dept of Social Services.

Since: Oct 07

Glade Spring, Va

#19 Mar 4, 2012
Goober

Jonesborough, TN

#20 Mar 4, 2012
Oh, and the cooling assistance is in the spring/summer and they buy air conditioners and heat pumps for people and even pay to have them installed.....check it out at the Social Services website.....Ask Jim, they bought him a heat pump....
I stand corrected, I apologize for my ignorance of cooling assistance! However, I still hope that this is the hand-up that this family needs and until it's done, we'll never know. No matter who is selected for a house, there will always be someone more deserving. I just don't understand all the negitivity because it is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. If it improves those children's life in any way, then it was worth it. However, if it's never tried...it will never be known.

doggie thermodyne

Johnson City, TN

#21 Mar 5, 2012
These people don't seem to be hurting anyone or causing problems. They seem to appreciate that they have been chosen for a habitat home and are excited about it. Good luck to them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glade Spring Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wives 5 hr stop 46
Teresa miller 10 hr Lipodopplar 13
Marina Gross 11 hr Warrior burger 1
Town Pool (May '13) 21 hr Dana Fatcoe 66
hott girls between ages 18-25 (Aug '13) Mon poed 9
The under ground A frame in Extract Mon Car ludicrous 16
Car Dealers Mon Wonder Guy 1
More from around the web

Glade Spring People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE