Prioritizing which debts to settle first?

Posted in the Glade Hill Forum

esjasgimniinmaya

Great Falls, VA

#1 Nov 7, 2013
Prioritizing which debts to settle first?Hi, I'm 24 years old and I graduated college in 2008. I have student loans totaling approximately $17,000. On top of that, I made some bad judgments when it comes to credit and I have the following bills that are in the hands of debt collectors:
-$800 BofA credit card debt from 2005.
-$300 T-Mobile debt from early 2009 (I am disputing this amount - I received an early termination fee after I cancelled my phone contract 2 weeks early because I had absolutely no service in the county I was visiting for 2 months).

I am trying to build my credit score (it is 520 currently) and begin getting out of debt. I earn $35,000 in one of the most expensive cities in the country. I have no savings and I currently own no credit cards at all. I'm not really sure how I should start building a healthy credit future.

Should I pay my BofA credit card debt in full? I was told that begining to make payments opens the debt again and it will be on my credit report for an additional 7 years as opposed to being wiped clean by 2012.

What are my best options for beginning to pay off my students loans (they are all government loans)? I am currently paying around $70/month, should I pay more and forget about my other debts?

What are my best options for beginning to save? Should I just open a traditional savings account or should I look into other options?

How I can I get negative things taken off my credit report? Can I get negative things taken off by the creditor once I settle the debt in full?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glade Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 6 hr gwsbadass 1,360
I beat my meat to pictures of Unicorns! Sep 24 mr fartwhistle 3
i like to suck on shemale peckers! Sep 24 mr fartwhistle 1
are they any hooker in rocky mount (Jan '11) Sep 19 Jerkinit 6
Jason Morgan Guthrie Sick Dangerous man Sep 19 Ken5243 6
found this on roanoke topix lol I know her and ... Sep 11 CherylWoodsreally 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Rocky Mount, VA (Aug '10) Sep 5 proudngay 24

Glade Hill Jobs

Glade Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Glade Hill News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Glade Hill

Personal Finance