Seward Hwy still deadliest even with ...

Seward Hwy still deadliest even with more safety measures - KTVA

There are 10 comments on the KTVA Anchorage story from Jul 28, 2009, titled Seward Hwy still deadliest even with more safety measures - KTVA. In it, KTVA Anchorage reports that:

Fed up with the carnage on the Seward Highway, Girdwood's fire chief is calling for action.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVA Anchorage.

RRR

Anchorage, AK

#1 Jul 28, 2009
I've watched people speed up in passing lanes only to slow down in two lane...just to keep their 'position'. I've also had people nearly on my bumper for no good reason, and when I move to the far right, they still don't get a clue that they're following too close. The long drive at speeds brings out the idiocy in people. Falling asleep is just stupidity... do we really need more signs? Like "Tired? Pull over, stupid! Sleep it off on the side of the road."
Truckers shouldn't text, ever. Maybe we need a jamming strip in the center of roads that extend for 10 or 12 feet to each side, so everyone has to pull off to use their phone. Double, triple, 10x the fines... I don't see that making much difference. But hey, there's statistics.
FYI

Anchorage, AK

#2 Jul 28, 2009
I guess we need a Pilot Car all the way! LOL
citizen x

Anchorage, AK

#3 Jul 29, 2009
concrete barricades in the areas where there is no safe place to pass will help and reduce the speed limit thru those areas to 45 mph.more pull outs especially after girdweed to whittier cut off. pass on the hill goin up turnagain pass ban down hill passing southbound.
come on dot get r dun get them xtra barricades up now!
deadly fast and SLOW

Wasilla, AK

#4 Jul 29, 2009
The state should really look at adding Troopers to the highway on the busy weekends. I beleive if you look at the trends; most of the accidents happen during peak weekend hours..
There are two main causes to the accidents. The most obvious is people passing and people driving to slow.
After traveling the road 5 times in the past few weeks the slower people.. 50 mph in a 65 mph were the main cause for people passing. There were many people driving to slow.
The Troopers should watch for both.. speeders and the slowers
flyphish

Kenai, AK

#5 Jul 29, 2009
It's time to make some serious examples and send some people to jail-- for more than over night!!
jtZ

Anchorage, AK

#6 Jul 30, 2009
gee, i see why no one reads this .....65 whole words for this article , WOW JAMES HALPIN..... I HOPE YOU WIN A PULITZER!!!!! SLACKER!
DStovall

Anchorage, AK

#7 Jul 30, 2009
The problem isn't to fix the one highway -- it's to get drivers to show some self control & responsibility. Do this and there is no problem.

There is nothing wrong with the Seward Highway, or the Glenn, or the Parks. There IS something wrong with drivers who drive too fast, who drink while driving, and who are drug impaired while driving. Virtually every accident involving serious injury involves drugs/alcohol abuse.

Currently we do have some alcohol controls on our drivers, through drunk driving arrests. We have virtually no control over drivers who use drugs, and this needs to be addressed. Every driver who is issued a citation that is deemed the cause of an accident needs to be required to get a drug test within 8 hours of the accident and the results of that test need to be forwarded by the lab to the State. There are sweat/saliva drug tests that officers could carry and take samples at the scene of any accident -- these tests would need to be approved by the courts as valid, and the legislature would need to pass a law requiring drug/alcohol tests in all vehicle accidents.

It would serve all of us a lot more to work on the alcohol/drug problem, than to spend another $20 million on the Seward Hwy. We've been there and done that, but the problem never goes away.

Since: Mar 10

Louisville, KY/ Wimington, DE

#9 Apr 24, 2010
DStovall wrote:
The problem isn't to fix the one highway -- it's to get drivers to show some self control & responsibility. Do this and there is no problem.
There is nothing wrong with the Seward Highway, or the Glenn, or the Parks. There IS something wrong with drivers who drive too fast, who drink while driving, and who are drug impaired while driving. Virtually every accident involving serious injury involves drugs/alcohol abuse.
Currently we do have some alcohol controls on our drivers, through drunk driving arrests. We have virtually no control over drivers who use drugs, and this needs to be addressed. Every driver who is issued a citation that is deemed the cause of an accident needs to be required to get a drug test within 8 hours of the accident and the results of that test need to be forwarded by the lab to the State. There are sweat/saliva drug tests that officers could carry and take samples at the scene of any accident -- these tests would need to be approved by the courts as valid, and the legislature would need to pass a law requiring drug/alcohol tests in all vehicle accidents.
It would serve all of us a lot more to work on the alcohol/drug problem, than to spend another $20 million on the Seward Hwy. We've been there and done that, but the problem never goes away.
The problem with that is that you could have gone 1 to several weeks without being impaired by pot, and still fail the screen. You're right tho in that sweat and saliva tests would be more chronologically accurate; but they still can show 3 days ago in your living room and not impairment on the road.

How about a skin swab of your fingers or above your lips? I bet that would be chronologically accurate to the last time you took a shower, but I've never heard of them doing that kinda test before.
Ron Dionne

Collinsville, MS

#10 Jul 25, 2010
The problem started back in the 70's when the road was widened and straighted out a bit.....it allowed for faster driving. Speed Kills. Except in downhills.....then speed wins. Just slow down.....all you Los Anchorage types will get to Girdwood or the Russian River safely.
girdy

Crestview, FL

#11 Aug 31, 2010
GIRDWOOD

GURDWOOD

GURRRDWOOD

It just rolls off your tongue huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Girdwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Petit leads Copper Basin (May '16) May '16 mush 1
News 4-year-old dies in blaze (Feb '08) Jan '14 Ashlee 5
News John Stephl (Mar '13) Mar '13 GDHanson 1
News Becky Boone adopted a fire hydrant on her Midto... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Christian Saints-... 1
News Snow-weary Alaska town orders more shovels (Jan '12) Jan '12 Time 1
News Alaska town buried in snow faces shovel shortag... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Olive 1
News Avalanches close Whittier Tunnel, Seward Highwa... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Olive 1

Girdwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Girdwood Mortgages