General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consumer & Industrial Division

Jul 10, 2008 Full story: Bloomberg 5,453

General Electric Co. , two months after placing its century-old appliance unit on the block, said it plans to spin off its entire GE Consumer & Industrial group to shareholders as Chief Executive Officer ...

Full Story
tim tebow

Louisville, KY

#5262 Jan 24, 2013
Mira Loma wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I work in distribution, and when I read this my first thought was Ravenna distribution. Is it the warehouse, the factory, or both?
the lamp plant

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#5263 Jan 24, 2013
tim tebow wrote:
<quoted text> the lamp plant
Sorry to read this. My thoughts are with all affected.
Manufacturer

Chagrin Falls, OH

#5264 Jan 24, 2013
Mira Loma wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I work in distribution, and when I read this my first thought was Ravenna distribution. Is it the warehouse, the factory, or both?
The warehouse is not affected, only the lamp plant.
RLP Retiree

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#5265 Jan 25, 2013
My heart goes out to those employees impacted by the announced closings of the Ravenna Lamp and Ohio Lamp plants. More good paying jobs with outstanding benefits lost. What a shame, what a shame.
Nobody

Columbus, OH

#5266 Jan 25, 2013
Sorry to hear about this. You are in are in are thoughts.
clueless

Cleveland, OH

#5267 Jan 25, 2013
The company gave the employee's a chance to save the plant by coming up with a cost cutting mesure to save money. Now we all know what that means !!! Drop eveyone down to a teir 2 wage and then say that was not enough and still close the plant. They then will not have to pay the high wages for the plant closing benefit's. Watch THEM close to see if they want to change wording of any kind, if there is some rewording to try and save the PLANT. Don't TRUST them as far as you can kick them.
Rumor Mill

AOL

#5268 Jan 25, 2013
clueless wrote:
The company gave the employee's a chance to save the plant by coming up with a cost cutting mesure to save money. Now we all know what that means !!! Drop eveyone down to a teir 2 wage and then say that was not enough and still close the plant. They then will not have to pay the high wages for the plant closing benefit's. Watch THEM close to see if they want to change wording of any kind, if there is some rewording to try and save the PLANT. Don't TRUST them as far as you can kick them.
Wages aren't going to help. Vendors, suppliers and everyone else down the line will have to cut their costs to help save this place. And it won't. It costs the company a lot of money to close a plant. Believe me, the wheels are already in motion and they process has already begun. You will not be able to come up with anything to satisfy thier greedy hunger. As a former Trumbull plant closing employee..... Been there, done that!
Rumor Mill

AOL

#5269 Jan 25, 2013
Just wanted to add, my heart goes out to all of our brothers and sisters affected by this announcement. I've been in your shoes!
wondering

Saint Augustine, FL

#5270 Jan 25, 2013
dead end jobs wrote:
<quoted text>we do 1 of the coils still i was told ..
what lighting plant do you work at?
clp worker

Louisville, KY

#5271 Jan 25, 2013
Saundra wrote:
<quoted text> lmao.... I know who u r.... How sad.
who is it?
clp worker

Louisville, KY

#5272 Jan 25, 2013
Ford man wrote:
I just heard that some people have union shirts they are going to wear when Ron Wilson and the other plant managers come. Boy this is going to get good.
that's a great idea, just as ron is closing some plants you want to piss him off. why don't you and your friends do everyone a favor, quit and find another job
dead end jobs

Louisville, KY

#5273 Jan 25, 2013
DOVER!
stuck at west burlington

Burlington, IA

#5274 Jan 25, 2013
Wages aren't going to help. Vendors, suppliers and everyone else down the line will have to cut their costs to help save this place. And it won't. It costs the company a lot of money to close a plant. Believe me, the wheels are already in motion and they process has already begun. You will not be able to come up with anything to satisfy thier greedy hunger. As a former Trumbull plant closing employee..... Been there, done that!.........

dont be so sure ask the people at the west burlington iowa plant they took a 30-50% paycut
and with recalls coming back at less then that and now only hairing temps we are sure glad we saved our plant.......:[

Location hidden

#5275 Jan 25, 2013
I don't know if there is any cost savings that can work, as they are also closing the Monterrey plant in Mexico. The Manager said they w]had too many issues with them, and is why he thinks they are closing them. They close in June.
Lamper

Mattoon, IL

#5276 Jan 25, 2013
Cost savings always has a voice. Ohio and Ravenna both have big levers in their wages and benefits. Monterrey wages are so low, that they aren't a big lever to save the plant.

Monterrey can't run their equipment. Their scrap used to be a cheap incandescent coil. If GE keeps them open, their scrap is going to be an expensive halogen capsule, probably ten times the cost of their old scrap.

Also, Monterrey's a border town, so there is all sorts of drug violence going on. I hear engineers are scared to even go down there any more. I'd like to see them try to dicker a labor contract with that workforce with militant drug cartels running the town.

I can't imagine Ohio and Ravenna are anywhere close to that. From what we hear, they run their equipment well, they aren't in the middle of a drug war, and wage costs are probably the biggest piece of the plant equation.

I hope they can come up with something for the sake of all the workers.

Location hidden

#5277 Jan 25, 2013
Lamper wrote:
I agree.
tired

Findlay, OH

#5278 Jan 25, 2013
dead end jobs wrote:
DOVER!
Are you the lighting plant making coils?
clueless

Cleveland, OH

#5279 Jan 26, 2013
Lamper wrote:
Cost savings always has a voice. Ohio and Ravenna both have big levers in their wages and benefits. Monterrey wages are so low, that they aren't a big lever to save the plant.
Monterrey can't run their equipment. Their scrap used to be a cheap incandescent coil. If GE keeps them open, their scrap is going to be an expensive halogen capsule, probably ten times the cost of their old scrap.
Also, Monterrey's a border town, so there is all sorts of drug violence going on. I hear engineers are scared to even go down there any more. I'd like to see them try to dicker a labor contract with that workforce with militant drug cartels running the town.
I can't imagine Ohio and Ravenna are anywhere close to that. From what we hear, they run their equipment well, they aren't in the middle of a drug war, and wage costs are probably the biggest piece of the plant equation.
I will place a bet that RLP makes more scrap than any plant in the U.S.A.- Also why would you take a 50% pay cut and reduced medical and pension to stay in a DEAD END PLANT. It is like a motion picture titled HOW TO DIE A SLOW DEATH ..... No thank you there are plenty of jobs out there that pay very well and make you very happy to go to work everyday. The worst feeling in the world is hating your job and having to go to it every stinking day knowing you hate where your are going.
dead end jobs

Akron, OH

#5280 Jan 26, 2013
tired wrote:
<quoted text>Are you the lighting plant making coils?
we make 1 coil i think . we draw tungsten wire and moly wire and make parts for stadium lighting , and parts for the battery in transportation . also make tungsten furnaces for fine quartz.
Manufacturer

Chagrin Falls, OH

#5281 Jan 26, 2013
clueless wrote:
<quoted text>I will place a bet that RLP makes more scrap than any plant in the U.S.A.- Also why would you take a 50% pay cut and reduced medical and pension to stay in a DEAD END PLANT. It is like a motion picture titled HOW TO DIE A SLOW DEATH ..... No thank you there are plenty of jobs out there that pay very well and make you very happy to go to work everyday. The worst feeling in the world is hating your job and having to go to it every stinking day knowing you hate where your are going.
Pain runs deep!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Girard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 31,466
Ex. Rep. Jim Traficant reported to be seriously... Sep 25 chris 1
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 19 Vic 231
Duck Dynasty' star will headline Men's Rally in... (Mar '14) Sep 19 Julia 2
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 13 They cannot kill ... 191
Anyone know this Doctor's name? Sep 3 yourmomma501 3
Milk me Aug '14 blanze27 5

Girard Jobs

Girard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Girard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Girard

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]