Ohio.com - Speed cameras return today

The controversial speed cameras are on patrol again in various Akron school zones. Read more
Scooter Moonpie

Atlanta, GA

#69 Sep 4, 2007
Ohioguy wrote:
Call me crazy, but I have a real problem with being accused, convicted and sentenced by a machine without any practical way to challenge the "accuser" (since there is no accuser, only a a machine that takes photos) in court. I'm not a speeder generally, and in 30 years of driving close to a million miles I've gotten only 2 speeding tickets. The last time I got a speeding ticket (about 7 years ago) I challenged it in court and won. You simply can't do that with the photo machines.
again, that's why these cases are CIVIL cases. To try them as criminal cases would blow directly against the wind of the Constitution, which in my opinion, these civil cases do as well.
Just Me

United States

#71 Sep 4, 2007
The TRUTH wrote:
Just another way to subsidize the crooked Akron machine...
GD nazi's!!!
You no blame the thugs for dis too? We all knows who the nazi is.
Ignorance Spotter

Akron, OH

#72 Sep 5, 2007
Lloyd wrote:
Here is the answer, Polarized license plate covers that make it hard for the camera to take a picture of the plate.
How about going the speed limit. That won't cost you anything at all.
Lloyd

Shippingport, PA

#74 Sep 5, 2007
Ignorance Spotter wrote:
<quoted text>
How about going the speed limit. That won't cost you anything at all.
Yes, although I have no intention of being Steve McQueen through a school zone, the camera's are wrong. I can not confront my accuser in court. It's a machine. If I go 22 vs 20..I get a ticket. 2 mph is not going to make a differance in stopping distance or awarness.

If the sytem chests then you can cheat too. Polarized plate covers prevent any photograph of anykind from being taken of your plate.

This works on red light cameras too.
MythBusters

Atlanta, GA

#75 Sep 5, 2007
Lloyd wrote:
Here is the answer, Polarized license plate covers that make it hard for the camera to take a picture of the plate.
Won't work
Brian

Carson, CA

#76 Sep 5, 2007
Ohioguy wrote:
The last time I got a speeding ticket (about 7 years ago) I challenged it in court and won. You simply can't do that with the photo machines.
Yes, you can. Several months ago there was an article in the Cleveland PD telling how a person got out of their ticket when an university physicist assisted and helped to prove that the accused vehicle was going slower than others in the picture. It could not have been the one that was suppose to get the ticket.

Since there is a series of images in a time scale, it is possible to figure out the speed.
Brian

Carson, CA

#77 Sep 5, 2007
Lloyd wrote:
If the sytem chests then you can cheat too. Polarized plate covers prevent any photograph of anykind from being taken of your plate.
One it is illegal to hide, manipulate, or cover your plate in any method in Ohio. It only gives another reason for an officer that pulls you over to add a another ticket.

Second, the show called Myth Busters showed polarized plates worked sometimes and often only minor distortion.

I am sure the ticket for the illegal plates is more expensive than the ticket for speeding anyways.
Brian

Carson, CA

#78 Sep 5, 2007
Lloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, although I have no intention of being Steve McQueen through a school zone, the camera's are wrong. I can not confront my accuser in court. It's a machine. If I go 22 vs 20..I get a ticket. 2 mph is not going to make a differance in stopping distance or awarness.
It should not matter. If the maximum is 20, and that is what speed limit means, you deserve no flexibility. If you speed, you take the risk and pay the fines.
Double Trouble

Ashtabula, OH

#79 Sep 6, 2007
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
One it is illegal to hide, manipulate, or cover your plate in any method in Ohio. It only gives another reason for an officer that pulls you over to add a another ticket.
Second, the show called Myth Busters showed polarized plates worked sometimes and often only minor distortion.
I am sure the ticket for the illegal plates is more expensive than the ticket for speeding anyways.
Tell that to a cop or his wife the next time you see a FOP star on their personal vehicle plate obscuring the visibility.
Ignorance Spotter

Akron, OH

#81 Sep 6, 2007
Lloyd wrote:
<quoted text>
A tolerance level was added to the speed camera enforcement program. You are not going to get a ticket for going 22 mph.

You seem to be all about skirting the law. Where does that end with you? Are you in favor of murdering someone "a little bit"? Maybe if you wear a polarized face mask when you murder someone that would make it not illegal?

In preparation of the "my civil rights" crowd that will say my comparison to murder is crazy, yeah, it is. But the point to take away is that the law is the law and you either obey or you don't.
Lloyd

Shippingport, PA

#82 Sep 6, 2007
If a police officer was there - that would be one thing. This is a machine, I can not subpeona and cross examine a machine as to what it witnessed.

This is a revenue generator to The Don, can get his big raise.

They can send me their School Zone Ticket, I say prove to me that I even got the ticket in the mail. It could have got destroyed by the USPS sorting machines. Misdirected...anything really.
Really

San Francisco, CA

#83 Sep 6, 2007
Lloyd wrote:
If a police officer was there - that would be one thing. This is a machine, I can not subpeona and cross examine a machine as to what it witnessed.
This is a revenue generator to The Don, can get his big raise.
They can send me their School Zone Ticket, I say prove to me that I even got the ticket in the mail. It could have got destroyed by the USPS sorting machines. Misdirected...anything really.
No, you get an exact replica of what it saw. You see the same thing it saw.

I would love to see you try the lost in the mail excuse after a warrant is issued after several non-paid tickets.
Lloyd

Shippingport, PA

#84 Sep 7, 2007
Proove that I was driving ! The owner of a vehicle is not culperable for a speeding ticket of an indivual so why should the owner have to pay the school zone speeding ticket.
James

United States

#85 Sep 16, 2007
I am more concerned about the red light cameras than the speed cameras. I dont want to have to slam the brakes to avoid taking the chance of getting a ticket. Studies have shown that in many instances in other cities the yellow light has been shortened so it can catch more people.
Really

San Francisco, CA

#86 Sep 16, 2007
James wrote:
I am more concerned about the red light cameras than the speed cameras. I dont want to have to slam the brakes to avoid taking the chance of getting a ticket. Studies have shown that in many instances in other cities the yellow light has been shortened so it can catch more people.
Can you provide a link to these "studies"? Also if you are going the legal speed limit, you do not have to slam on your breaks to come to a legal stop.
Interested Party

Ashtabula, OH

#87 Sep 17, 2007
If you would be watching TV once in a while you will see it on the news where municipalities across the United States have been caught "cheating" cutting back on the hang time of the yellow lights. The yellow lights are supposed to by national highway standards wait "X" amount of seconds between green and red at graduated speed times IE 25, 30, 35, 40, and so on. Look at the lights on Arlington St. in a 25 zone and then look at a lights in a 55 zone (224 & 43) and see the difference, there is one.
Really

Cleveland, OH

#88 Sep 17, 2007
Interested Party wrote:
If you would be watching TV once in a while you will see it on the news where municipalities across the United States have been caught "cheating" cutting back on the hang time of the yellow lights. The yellow lights are supposed to by national highway standards wait "X" amount of seconds between green and red at graduated speed times IE 25, 30, 35, 40, and so on. Look at the lights on Arlington St. in a 25 zone and then look at a lights in a 55 zone (224 & 43) and see the difference, there is one.
Just because they are shrinking the time that does NOT mean they are going below the required time.

Again I will ask where is your proof?
Ignorance Spotter

Akron, OH

#89 Sep 17, 2007
FYI-
The fine for speeding in a school zone goes back up to $100 starting today.

20 mph in all school zones when the lights are flashing.
Interested Party

Ashtabula, OH

#90 Sep 17, 2007
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because they are shrinking the time that does NOT mean they are going below the required time.
Again I will ask where is your proof?
You sound like a politician trying to justify theft from a motorist, where is yours?
Really

United States

#91 Sep 17, 2007
Interested Party wrote:
<quoted text>You sound like a politician trying to justify theft from a motorist, where is yours?
The person making the accusations is who provides the proof. That is how the world works.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Girard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for house to rent 18 hr thaimi 3
Antonio Torres Mar 20 Dallas 1
Nut jobs Mar 5 peep 2
Jessica Crago (Dec '11) Mar 4 ynot 2
Reminiscing of 60s and 70s Youngstown (Dec '09) Feb '15 Troll master Willie 21
Sound Advice: What to do when little sound come... Feb '15 radio hack 1
Looking for biological brother Feb '15 BLACK MILITARY FA... 1
Girard Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web