Ohio.com - Speed cameras return today

Ohio.com - Speed cameras return today

There are 94 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 28, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Speed cameras return today. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The controversial speed cameras are on patrol again in various Akron school zones.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

ddd

Youngstown, OH

#21 Aug 29, 2007
Couldn't we just teach the kids to walk on the sidewalk??

OR

Send some work crews out to start pruning trees around the schools as they were this morning on Archwood across from Garfield at 7:45 AM on the first day of school. I would sure like to know who the moron is that is resposible for that mess.

d
Ignorance Spotter

Columbus, OH

#22 Aug 29, 2007
I for one am glad to see the cameras back on the streets. Now maybe some of you will slow down. I find it interesting that the same group casting accusations of others committing crimes are somehow upset that they may be caught speeding. That's still against the law isn't it?

The bottom line is if you drive the posted limit then you have nothing to be concerned about.
Ignorance Spotter

Columbus, OH

#23 Aug 29, 2007
DAVID KELLEY wrote:
THE SCHOOL ZONE ON PERKINS ST JUST OFF THE RT 8 SOUTHBOUND LANE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A SPEED TRAP, BLOCKED BY TREES JUST BEFORE THE RED LIGHT AT UNION ST THE ZONE BEGINS AND IS APROX.20-TO 30 YARDS LONG! THE SCHOOL IS ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF PERKINS ST. IF SAFETY IS CONCERN FOR ZONE IT SHOUD BE LONGER THAN 30 YARDS AND MARKED MUCH MORE CLEARLY...THUS SPEED TRAP. PLEASE POST HOW MANY ISSUED AT THIS LOCATION.
You are obviously aware of the school being there. Anywhere there is a school the speed limit is 20mph. Slow down when you approach the school and you have nothing to worry about.
just shut up

United States

#24 Aug 29, 2007
Just slow down wrote:
These cameras are a great thing! There is no reason to go faster than 20mph in a school zone. So do the speed limit and you wont get a ticket. It is that simple.
Hey, let's put a camera in your house! There is no reason to beat your spouse or do illegal drugs, so just be a good citizen and you won't get arrested. It is that simple.
Just slow down

Toledo, OH

#25 Aug 29, 2007
Against money grubbers wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a SIMPLETON would think it's that simple.
The real driver is not identified, so the wrong person is penalized when relatives or someone else in the household is using your car.
Well do not allow those who speed in school zones drive your car. Be responsible.
Speeding caused by being DRUNK is not stopped, so the drunk driver can go right on, and then go flying up onto the curb to kill and maime a group of kids standing/playing there.
This is true. But it is also not stopped by the lack of speeding cameras. I have not heard that these cameras completely replace patrols, so I do not see this as an issue.
The camera and computer can be tampered with.
It is bribery when the city takes your money and placates you by saying "we won't tell BMV" .. resulting in dangerous drivers cannot be taken off the road by the courts.
There are a million things wrong with this.
The camera and computer are more reliable than the in person officer. I think they should start putting points on licenses.

It is simple. Slow down and obey the traffic laws.

I also think that they should start putting cameras in construction zones.

Schools and construction zones are two places where the speed limit should be followed without exception!
Just slow down

Toledo, OH

#26 Aug 29, 2007
just shut up wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, let's put a camera in your house! There is no reason to beat your spouse or do illegal drugs, so just be a good citizen and you won't get arrested. It is that simple.
If you want you want to watch, go ahead you perv.
Tim

Akron, OH

#27 Aug 29, 2007
I think these cameras are discriminatory. Many states do not require front license plates and can go "Scott Free" doing a hundred miles an hour, while the select few that have front plates get nailed for eight miles an hour over the limit.
Carl

Akron, OH

#28 Aug 29, 2007
What a bunch of self rightious, law breaking citizens. No one gives a damn who was driving the car, it was going over the speed limit. I'll bet the person who complained about the "wrong driver" has rarely ever loaned his car out to anyone other than family.

And this has NOTHING to do with whether cameras should be in peoples houses. To even make such a comparison shows off your low IQ.

Speed limit is 20mph in school zones. If you don't like it, find another way to work.
LilOne

Herndon, VA

#29 Aug 29, 2007
I don't speed in school zones, and I think that people who do should be caught and fined.

My problem is that these cameras are being used in lieu of police officers. Often, when a police officer pulls someone over for speeding or some other minor offense, they identify larger things, like outstanding warrants, intoxication, possession of drugs, etc.... By relying only on cameras in the school zones, we're reducing the chances of identifying these larger issues and getting these violators off the streets.

I think that enforcing the law should be done by law enforcement officers...not cameras. Cameras can only take a picture. Officers can use their training and senses to determine if there are other crimes being broken, and put a stop to them if necessary.
Ignorance Spotter

Columbus, OH

#30 Aug 29, 2007
I just watched two APD pull a driver off Route 8 in front of my shop. I heard one officer say they clocked her going 77mph in a 55mph zone.

She seemed to be bothered by the fact that she got caught 'cause her mouth was also going 77mph the entire time they were trying to talk to her.

The point is it didn't seem to matter whether it was a camera or a cop in this case. She was angry because she got caught breaking the law, just like all of you complaining that you've been caught by the camera.

Obey the law and you won't get caught.
Scooter Moonpie

Akron, OH

#31 Aug 29, 2007
Steve D wrote:
<quoted text>
It can't testify. Plead "not guilty" and then they need to try and get the "officer" to show up. Otherwise, they can't prove a thing. These are "no-point" violations, but, it hits the pocketbook hard and things aren't getting any cheaper. I'd put a "not guilty" verdict in and watch their heads spin for a while.
Perhaps that's why these camera cases are CIVIL cases, and not CRIMINAL cases.
Carl

Akron, OH

#32 Aug 29, 2007
LilOne wrote:
I don't speed in school zones, and I think that people who do should be caught and fined.
My problem is that these cameras are being used in lieu of police officers. Often, when a police officer pulls someone over for speeding or some other minor offense, they identify larger things, like outstanding warrants, intoxication, possession of drugs, etc.... By relying only on cameras in the school zones, we're reducing the chances of identifying these larger issues and getting these violators off the streets.
I think that enforcing the law should be done by law enforcement officers...not cameras. Cameras can only take a picture. Officers can use their training and senses to determine if there are other crimes being broken, and put a stop to them if necessary.
Camera's are used ONLY in school zones. All police officers still give out tickets just like they always did - they simply have reduced their coverage by not having to sit at school zones.
bobbi

Richfield, OH

#33 Aug 29, 2007
got a red-light ticket in Cleveland at 3:30 am. the video showing my law-breaking is pretty cool. what is not on video is the fact that I was lost, upset, and trying to find my way to a hospital to see my critically ill son. Heck, I freaked out when I saw this bright flash in my rear view mirror! what was going on! I would have stopped and asked for directions, but not one car was around. But wait, the mud gets thicker. Do I pay the $100? a guy just got his ticket dismissed because Cleveland failed to follow their ordinance governing these things, making ALL past tickets null and void. But when I speak with them in Cleve traffic, they have no clue as what I should do. They say in good conscience I should pay!
LilOne

Herndon, VA

#35 Aug 29, 2007
Carl wrote:
<quoted text>
Camera's are used ONLY in school zones. All police officers still give out tickets just like they always did - they simply have reduced their coverage by not having to sit at school zones.
Right...my opinion is that cops should be patroling near school zones on a rotating basis, instead of just rotating the cameras. Not only would they be available to hand out traffic tickets, but to determine if speeders are breaking other laws....and also watching out for any other possible risks around the school.

A camera can't notice that the same people are hanging out around the school daily like a cop can....and possibly stop an abductor or pedophile or drug dealer before he kidnaps, rapes, or sells substances to kids, can it?

I've always been a proponent of increased police patrols around schools for this reason. I really don't think speeding is the largest risk near a school.....it's just the largest revenue maker, and that's why the emphasis is being put there instead of protecting kids from other threats.

Oh, and just for the record...I've never been busted for speeding in a school zone. As someone who used to walk to and from school, and who has friends with kids who often dart out into the street, I am extremely careful in schools and neighborhoods.
OldManGrump

Canton, OH

#36 Aug 29, 2007
ScottyBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Grump: Has Joe Finley ever publicly stated that he will remove all speed cameras if he is elected to office? If not, he is no better than Mayor Don and will carry on the status quo. Same old, same old.
Yes, he did. People should talk to him face to face. he's straightup kind of guy.
Old School

Bedford, OH

#37 Aug 29, 2007
I like my cops live, I like to have the zones well marked and lights operating correctly, I like the crosswalks well marked, with crossing guards, I like the American flag raised each morning in front of the schools (by the students). I like the litter picked up, flowers planted and most of all I like smiles on the kids faces. I also would like uniforms for the kids and special awards for attendance, grades, helping out, and working after school.
Yes the kids that have jobs should also receive an award.

Quit the bickering and let's go positive. Let's start with a new mayor and new attitudes--won't you join me and vote for Mr. Finley!

Carl

Akron, OH

#39 Aug 29, 2007
ScottyBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Atta boy, stick to your guns, Navarone, but your solution sucks! Big Brother in the sky, watching your every vehicular move. Speed up to pass a slower car on a 2-lane highway, get a ticket. Cut and dried. Watching your every move ... Watching your every move ... Right!
Next, you'll undoubtedly want mandatory governmental telephone surveillance so that when you cut a labor-for goods baarter trade with your brother-in-law the IRS will know who to tax and the transaction.
Can't you see that the camera issue is not about the violation, it's about MONEY. And how the city circumvents the ORC and the points by making it a civil and not a traffic violation. And that you are issued the citation even if someone other than yourself was driving your vehicle, ie. child, girlfriend, buddy, auto mechanic, etc.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it slows up the traffic, doesn't it. If a cop was there, you'd get the ticket AND points.
LilOne

Herndon, VA

#41 Aug 29, 2007
Carl wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it slows up the traffic, doesn't it. If a cop was there, you'd get the ticket AND points.
If speeding in a school zone were truly such a safety issue, then people should absolutely get both the ticket and the points. The fact that they're circumventing the points only supports the fact that this is all about revenue, not about deterring speeding for safety purposes or keeping kids safe.
Scooter Moonpie

Akron, OH

#42 Aug 29, 2007
This is hilarious, reading these comments defending the kkkameras.

I'd bet a paycheck that the vast majority of you who defend these kkameras maon about the Patriot Act and the banking surveillance laws as "infringing your constitutuonal rights."

Last time I looked at the Constitution, US citizens had the right to a trial by jury and the right to face his accusers. Where are these rights applied concerning the use of traffic kkkameras?

Scotty Boy's correct. It's all about the money. It's a CIVIL action. If there was concern for safety, it would be a criminal case and points would be assigned.
Carl

Akron, OH

#43 Aug 29, 2007
LilOne wrote:
<quoted text>
If speeding in a school zone were truly such a safety issue, then people should absolutely get both the ticket and the points. The fact that they're circumventing the points only supports the fact that this is all about revenue, not about deterring speeding for safety purposes or keeping kids safe.
Have folks already forgotten that the reason the camera contract was looked into in the first place was because there weren't enough cops to patrol the school zones - and people were complaining about that?

Look, hire more cops and get rid of the cameras - that's fine with me, but don't b_tch about the city trying to make things work in the meantime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Girard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Small dog found shot and nearly frozen in Young... Jan 9 Duke for Mayor 25
Why are we resettling refugees when we have hom... Jan 9 insecticide 2
Tecumseh Drama Theater Dec '16 YEPPER 2
Body found in parking lot Dec '16 Want answers 1
if trump loss he was going on a long vacation Nov '16 trump vs hillary 1
How can Americans vote for Hillary???????????? Nov '16 The Truth 1
Chad Bryant in Girard Oct '16 Truth 1

Girard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance