Ohio.com - Speed cameras return today

The controversial speed cameras are on patrol again in various Akron school zones. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
jack

Brunswick, OH

#1 Aug 29, 2007
another way to rip off taxpayers
Double Trouble

Ashtabula, OH

#2 Aug 29, 2007
Once more from the top. The city of Akron is broke, it is not about public safty it is all about money and how they can reliieve us from it. When Warner Mendenhall wins his law suit the city will have to return a lot of money which it once again will have a hard time returning. Also does anyone notice that the fine is $35.00 for now until after the election then it goes up to $100.00?
OldManGrump

Cleveland, OH

#3 Aug 29, 2007
Four more years of Alco holic Mayor Don P and his speed cameras. These are nothing, but a revenue raiser. The safety of the kids is secondary to the revenue raising.

Akron needs new leadership and ideas. 20 years is enough for Donny Boy. You have to wonder how much the speed camera company contributed to Donny Boy's campaign?

Vote for Joe Finley Sept 11th for Mayor !!!
Scooter Moonpie

Shippingport, PA

#4 Aug 29, 2007
How can a camera testify in a court of law?

Send me a photo of a violation and i'll send you a photo of the fine money.
Never Again

Akron, OH

#5 Aug 29, 2007
Not good news for Plasquarrelli and Company. People hate these things. They remember the mayor claiming they were "about" the children. Tell that to the downtown workers taking Perkins St. just to get hit by a speed camera for one of Brennan's Charter Schools. All those kids are bussed in, there is no neighborhood left there. It's exploitation at its best.
Steve D

Hudson, OH

#6 Aug 29, 2007
Scooter Moonpie wrote:
It can't testify. Plead "not guilty" and then they need to try and get the "officer" to show up. Otherwise, they can't prove a thing. These are "no-point" violations, but, it hits the pocketbook hard and things aren't getting any cheaper. I'd put a "not guilty" verdict in and watch their heads spin for a while.
Jock itch

Bedford, OH

#7 Aug 29, 2007
I like the idea of putting the cameras on the drug dealers and prositutes.

Don wanted the taxpayers to give 25 million to Goodyear/Bass Pro and he has cameras watching you drive, why don't we have a calendar on how many times Plusquellic is not in his office!

Vote for GI JOE, a Viet Nam vet who served his Country. And now he wants to serve Akron.

Honorable Voters of Akron give Joe his orders on Sept. 11, 2007 to report to the Mayor's office Jan. 1, 2008 to begin Active duty as Mayor of Akron.
Champion of the people

Bedford, OH

#8 Aug 29, 2007
Thank god for Warner mendenhall, Champion of the People, to save us all from Don the Dictator!
LilOne

Hyattsville, MD

#9 Aug 29, 2007
Scooter Moonpie wrote:
Send me a photo of me speeding in a school zone, and when I pay the fine I'll tell the court that if they weren't too cheap to hire an officer to patrol that zone, they would've caught me drunk too.
Just slow down

Toledo, OH

#10 Aug 29, 2007
These cameras are a great thing! There is no reason to go faster than 20mph in a school zone. So do the speed limit and you wont get a ticket. It is that simple.
Rick Goeke

Plymouth Meeting, PA

#11 Aug 29, 2007
Why are speed cameras so controversial? If it's because they make mistakes, then let's review the research on how often they make mistakes. If it's because they catch us violating speed limits, then the easiest response is to slow down and drive the speed limit.
soulman

Akron, OH

#12 Aug 29, 2007
If these violations are not reported to BMV and they have no points leverage on your license then they are simply a source of income, not a safety measure.
Navarone

Hudson, OH

#13 Aug 29, 2007
You guys, if you go the speed limit in the school zone, you got nothing to worry about! So what if the camera takes your picture, if your speeding - breaking the law - then you deserve to get a ticket.

Here is my solution and its fair to everyone, every vehicle in the US gets fitted with gps transmitter, each vehicle has its own frequency, just like a license number. In orbit a satillite or two monitors your vehicles speed, it's smart enough to know when you're passing and when your speeding. If your speeding, bingo, you're issued a citation along with a satillite photo showing the transgression.

You see if you obey the law and do what you are supposed to do, then these measure wouldn't be necessary.
Vito

Shippingport, PA

#14 Aug 29, 2007
I have no problem with the cameras. School zones should be enforced, and this is another way to do so.

Navarone hits on a point that will certainly be built into cars of the future. Speeds and limits will be cross referenced and tickets issued automatically.
Fat Anthony

Stow, OH

#15 Aug 29, 2007
Big Brother is the teats!
Never Again

Akron, OH

#16 Aug 29, 2007
Navarone wrote:
You guys, if you go the speed limit in the school zone, you got nothing to worry about! So what if the camera takes your picture, if your speeding - breaking the law - then you deserve to get a ticket.
Here is my solution and its fair to everyone, every vehicle in the US gets fitted with gps transmitter, each vehicle has its own frequency, just like a license number. In orbit a satillite or two monitors your vehicles speed, it's smart enough to know when you're passing and when your speeding. If your speeding, bingo, you're issued a citation along with a satillite photo showing the transgression.
You see if you obey the law and do what you are supposed to do, then these measure wouldn't be necessary.
How about we just let the car drive you. I mean, what's the pointing in driving if a computer can do it better. Maybe it can lock the doors and take criminals with warrants to jail like in minority report. What a wonderful world that would be./sarcasm
DAVID KELLEY

Mansfield, OH

#17 Aug 29, 2007
THE SCHOOL ZONE ON PERKINS ST JUST OFF THE RT 8 SOUTHBOUND LANE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A SPEED TRAP, BLOCKED BY TREES JUST BEFORE THE RED LIGHT AT UNION ST THE ZONE BEGINS AND IS APROX.20-TO 30 YARDS LONG! THE SCHOOL IS ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF PERKINS ST. IF SAFETY IS CONCERN FOR ZONE IT SHOUD BE LONGER THAN 30 YARDS AND MARKED MUCH MORE CLEARLY...THUS SPEED TRAP. PLEASE POST HOW MANY ISSUED AT THIS LOCATION.
Duke for Mayor

Gardena, CA

#18 Aug 29, 2007
There should cameras with audio capabilities in the Mayor's office, in each of his fifteen cabinent members' offices, and in each City Council members' office.

Then you'd really see crime reduced in Akron.

woof
Against money grubbers

Lorain, OH

#19 Aug 29, 2007
Just slow down wrote:
These cameras are a great thing! There is no reason to go faster than 20mph in a school zone. So do the speed limit and you wont get a ticket. It is that simple.
Only a SIMPLETON would think it's that simple.

The real driver is not identified, so the wrong person is penalized when relatives or someone else in the household is using your car.

Speeding caused by being DRUNK is not stopped, so the drunk driver can go right on, and then go flying up onto the curb to kill and maime a group of kids standing/playing there.

The camera and computer can be tampered with.

It is bribery when the city takes your money and placates you by saying "we won't tell BMV" .. resulting in dangerous drivers cannot be taken off the road by the courts.

There are a million things wrong with this.
Browns Fan

Ashtabula, OH

#20 Aug 29, 2007
*VOTE FOR JOE FINLEY*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Girard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hourly rate for temp at General Motors 8 hr Bella123 1
General Motors Dec 12 Bella123 1
Girls looking for fun in this area? Dec 9 nextdoorbeauty 1
Reminiscing of 60s and 70s Youngstown (Dec '09) Nov 27 Tdt3607 19
Duck Dynasty' star will headline Men's Rally in... (Mar '14) Nov '14 Julia 3
General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consu... (Jul '08) Nov '14 Circleville lamp 5,473
Staci Fox Nov '14 Austin 1
Girard Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Girard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Girard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Girard

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:25 pm PST