Ohio.com - East Exchange more fearsome than the Roo

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

Looking for a modern-day miracle? Here's one: East Exchange Street is not littered with the bodies of University of Akron students.
Comments
81 - 86 of 86 Comments Last updated Nov 2, 2007
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Puntastic

Vermilion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2007

Cindy wrote:
If UA has the money to build a new dorm and other future buildings, they have the money to hire more officers.
Cindy, Cindy, Cindy...buildings are far less expensive than people: they don't unionize and they can be amortized over 30 years. Gotta pay attention in Econ 101.
Puntastic

Vermilion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2007

former akronite wrote:
Second, is this a news article or an editorial? Because the following paragraph is nowhere close to being an objective journalist:
"A crosswalk from Lee Jackson Field to Kinko's is well-marked, with wide, bright-white stripes on the road surface and street signs painted with flaming fluorescent yellow. But there's no stoplight! No one in his or her right mind would set out between those lines with any confidence that oncoming cars will stop." Keep your opinion out of the news, Dyer. You might make people think opinion stories are all you're not horrible at writing.
You can read -- great -- but why can't you understand (and you are not alone) that Bob Dyer is a columnist, and not an "objective news reporter"? See his smiley pic? Ever wonder why others don't have smiley pics? Hmmm?

Bob writes a column, about whatever Bob wants to write about. That's his job. His choice of topics sells newspapers. Bob can say what Bob wants to say. Others at the paper are news journalists who report on news.

Next question?
Puntastic

Vermilion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2007

Just my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
My thoughts exactly, if you space them out then the students are more likely to use them. There will always be the few who will still jaywalk, but the majority will probably find it to be quicker to walk to the bridge and cross than to get stuck in the middle waiting for someone to let them finish crossing.
Ya but... I dunno... I crossed Exchange in the early to mid 80's for all 5 years (hey, who wants to graduate in 4 when you pay tuition for 5?), and even though the people crossing today are younger than my kids, it seems that the propensity to cross where and when ever is passed down somehow to the next generation. The flow of kids across is spread too wide for a bridge. If I can cross at Grant, and the bridge is at Sumner, no way...I'm walking here.

Students at least know one thing perfectly well, and that is that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. The large grassy courtyards at schools like OU, Ohio State and Kent all have paths cut into them that reflect this basic truth.

We have all hiked it though backyards and over fences when we were growing up in the neighborhood rather than "going around", and at age 18 to 22, we are not going to stop.
playdohshroom

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

Obviously you need to revise your sources because It's not Market that the UA students are crossing, It's exchange. I'm asuming you're refering to Bob Dyer's article regarding this matter. I have been studying Bob Dyer's work in my argumentation class for quite some time and he is also a personally friend of my family. I'm a little embaressed for you that you. How much information could you possibly have 'interpreted' from this archive if you didn't even catch the name of the Street. Nice try, but you're rebuttals are much more effective when you're saying is accurate! And you can stop insulting the University of Akron. The last time I checked, the Palamer Science building wasn't located in Kent. I apologize for my enabling assumption, but if you don't why that's relevant than you should not be discussing the matter to begin with. So, the next time you you refute someone else's argument, don't insult a well respected columnist with tenure at The Akron Beacon Journal or the brilliant minds that study in the Palamer Science Building of UofA.
playdohshroom

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

I apologize for my gramatical errors above, but I'm new at typing in these boxes. Also, above is my refute to "George Bush." Anyone who has that name by choice is even more pathetic than George Bush himself.

Since: Mar 07

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

playdohshroom wrote:
.....a well respected columnist with tenure at The Akron Beacon Journal
((chucklin')) Now there's an oxymoron.

Dyer, ol' buddy, y'all may have the little kids at school fooled, but the rest of us know y'all aren't a journalist. A great reporter on traffic flows and such, but never a journalist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Girard Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Girard Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Girard People Search