Ohio.com - East Exchange more fearsom...

Ohio.com - East Exchange more fearsome than the Roo

There are 86 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Oct 25, 2007, titled Ohio.com - East Exchange more fearsome than the Roo. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Looking for a modern-day miracle? Here's one: East Exchange Street is not littered with the bodies of University of Akron students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Uncle Ed

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#22 Oct 26, 2007
Raise the fine for jaywalking. Once you hand out a handful of $250 tickets, people will get the idea and start using the crosswalk. This would take one officer one morning. The police can then get on to the more pressing issues.
ddd

Youngstown, OH

#24 Oct 26, 2007
Per the Akron Municpal Court website a pedestrian violation (which I am assuming is 'jaywalking') is a $24 fine plus $80 court costs.

Let's do the math...30 minutes,105 jaywalkers x $24 fine =$2520; it seems to me that we could afford to attract some of those 'volunteer' officers from the DUI Checkpoints; we could probably also afford to paint 5 crosswalks.

d
Educated Fool

Strongsville, OH

#26 Oct 26, 2007
U think its bad now.. Just wait until they build our new glorious illustrious new stadium.
Kent

Park Ridge, NJ

#27 Oct 26, 2007
Thugg Marco wrote:
Whatssup, Bro, chit man, nobody befencin you and imma got my kid at scoo and he gonna be a docter. he need his chit from macs so letthim alone and quit knockin his droopy drawers, man hes coo!
Dont worry about it - based on your post you'll never go to college! English is the language not ebonics!

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Canton, OH

#28 Oct 26, 2007
ddd wrote:
''We do not have the resources to make this an enforcement priority,'' Akron Police Chief Mike Matulavich says.''But we do expect our officers to take enforcement action if they witness a flagrant violation during their routine patrols.''
I have to raise the question once again...Does the City of Akron have a sufficient number of police officers?
d
No, there are not enough police officers. Just look at the rising crime wave in Akron. The officers that we do have are not concerned about jaywalking. They are concerned about beatings, robberies, murders and muggings. Once they have those issues under control, then maybe they can start worrying about petty issues like jaywalking.

Since: Mar 07

Tulsa, OK

#29 Oct 26, 2007
Tribe Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
That is NOT why UofA made the very smart decision to close streets that go straight through campus.
Au contrare, Akron U cited that very thing at the time. But to be fair, I'll be happy to read any information y'all have that says the contrary.

Tulsa, OK

#30 Oct 26, 2007
Educated Fool wrote:
U think its bad now.. Just wait until they build our new glorious illustrious new stadium.
Nope, they'll jes' close Exchange for a few hours on game day, jes' like Main street.

Tulsa, OK

#31 Oct 26, 2007
Thugg Marco wrote:
<quoted text>
Mebbe if Chrissy opened a Veggie place it would kill the taffic, nobuddy would wanna eat dere.
Won't happen. Akron U is already runnin' out existin' businesses for their buildin' projects. Unless of course, Chrissy wants to rent space from Akron U, then it would be OK.
Sandi of Akron

Canton, OH

#32 Oct 26, 2007
Maybe these "adult" students who are jaywalking need to be reminded of the young lady who lost her life several years ago by jaywalking. She was an Akron U student and I believe this was the area that the incident happened. How quickly we all forget!
Luke

Akron, OH

#33 Oct 26, 2007
According to UA Capital Planning they've wanted to convert Exchange into a pedestrian mall for some time. However, it is such a major thoroughfare that the city would never allow it. However, I do see them trying to narrow the street, which will result in slower traffic and more congestion but perhaps less car-person conflicts.
Tribe Realist

Cleveland, OH

#34 Oct 26, 2007
City Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope---Beta had it right. Akron U closed Buchtel & Carroll to solve their jaywalking problem. Not a smart decision, as it just messed traffic up in that area, by funneling everyone to Mill or Exchange. But it solved their problem.
You two can call it what YOU want, but the fact is that is NOT why they closed off those streets. Buchtel was closed off 2 decades ago for safety reasons (IIRC, someone was seriously injured). The other streets recently closed were to make UA more of a "campus". It was a great idea...and the campus looks/feels so much better.
Tribe Realist

Cleveland, OH

#35 Oct 26, 2007
ddd wrote:
I have to raise the question once again...Does the City of Akron have a sufficient number of police officers?
For freaking jaywalkers??

Are you freaking serious?? Get a clue.

Canton, OH

#36 Oct 26, 2007
Luke wrote:
According to UA Capital Planning they've wanted to convert Exchange into a pedestrian mall for some time. However, it is such a major thoroughfare that the city would never allow it. However, I do see them trying to narrow the street, which will result in slower traffic and more congestion but perhaps less car-person conflicts.
Akron is the only town in the United States whose two major east-west routes (Market and Exchange) intersect at two different points (Middlebury in the east and Wallhaven in the west). That said, there is no way that Exchange will ever be closed around campus.

The smart thing to do would be to install more concrete pillars with chains running between them along the sidewalks. That would prevent most people from jaywalking, as it would force them to use the intersections for crossing.
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#39 Oct 26, 2007
I would recommend Akron taking the speed cameras out of school zones and placing them where the jaywalking is "out of control". Oh wait the cameras would only take pictures of the shoes not the person wearing them... never mind.
George Bush

United States

#40 Oct 26, 2007
Advice to students, transfer to Kent. Akron is building a nice university in the heart of Akron and doing NOTHING to address the universities needs and its setting in an urban environment. Kent is much more student pedestrian friendly. Akron should spend a bit of money to ensure the kids it wants to attract can get around more safely. The university owes some reponsibility also.
ddd

Youngstown, OH

#41 Oct 26, 2007
Tribe Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
For freaking jaywalkers??
Are you freaking serious?? Get a clue.
Give me a clue...How many are there?...How many are budgeted?...What is the chartered amount?...What does the US Dept of Justice guidelines call for?...Why do we continually hear from police department officials there is not enough?...Give me a clue, are there enough police officers in the City of Akron to protect and serve the given situaion in this day and age?

d
Cindy

Cleveland, OH

#42 Oct 26, 2007
If UA has the money to build a new dorm and other future buildings, they have the money to hire more officers.

Canton, OH

#43 Oct 26, 2007
Another Iea wrote:
<quoted text>
Akron U could build a few pedestrian bridges OVER Exchange. Lord knows they have the funds.
They have talked about that for years. I remember first hearing about it when I started school there in the late 80's. The other idea was a tunnel. Both cost far more than pillars and chains.

The simplest and most cost-effective way to reduce the problem is better enforcement. Jaywalking has never been enforced anywhere in Akron. People jaywalk downtown all the time. Cleveland had a similar problem until they really started cracking down on it a few years ago. The biggest problem with this solution is that we don't have sufficient police manpower in the city now, and the cops that are on patrol aren't worried about jaywalkers.
UA Grad

Lorain, OH

#44 Oct 26, 2007
It's not just students being "lazy". 15 minutes between classes is often far too little time to get there. A big part of the problem is the campus planning that has gone on for decades. At heart of campus should be classroom buildings, student union, and dormitories. But at U.A., the new Exchange St. dorm is not only off-campus from center where the dining hall, classrooms and union are, but it requires crossing a 4-lane highway full of speeders.

Closer to center of campus on campus side of Exchange are open football fields, baseball fields, soccer, and track. Also closer to campus center than the new dorm & others on Grant is the new RecCenter-Indoor Football field complex.

These recreational and athletic facilities should have been placed on the off-campus side of Exchange, where the new dorm and others are. The people going to athletic facilities most are supposed to be getting exercise anyway (the indoor football practice field was built at the doorstep of Brown St. dorm--players take about 15 steps to get in there). Many core-to-college-education facilities have been built off-campus while recreation and athletics take priority space.

All campus expansions should be geared toward classes and on-campus living and dining being closest to the center of campus. U.A. has gotten far from that concept and campus is hugely splintered.
Deady Bear

Cleveland, OH

#45 Oct 26, 2007
Thugg Marco wrote:
<quoted text>
dats why dat restrant does't rent next to da aros place where da mayer jumped dat parkin tendant.da city want to much rent fo it. some ribs like used to be donw dere would be good. membr that place, it was in Scotts for years.
What is with you and Betamax? Are you two portraying stereotypical African American characters here online for your own secret amusement or what? Or are you, Thugg, really intellectually incapable of writing the English language? How old are you?? Either way, try something else if you're trying to be funny....cause you're not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Girard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Small dog found shot and nearly frozen in Young... Jan 9 Duke for Mayor 25
Why are we resettling refugees when we have hom... Jan 9 insecticide 2
Tecumseh Drama Theater Dec 19 YEPPER 2
Body found in parking lot Dec '16 Want answers 1
if trump loss he was going on a long vacation Nov '16 trump vs hillary 1
How can Americans vote for Hillary???????????? Nov '16 The Truth 1
Chad Bryant in Girard Oct '16 Truth 1

Girard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance