Ohio.com - East Exchange more fearsome than the Roo

Looking for a modern-day miracle? Here's one: East Exchange Street is not littered with the bodies of University of Akron students. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
MOW THEM DOWN

Avon Lake, OH

#1 Oct 26, 2007
All it takes is one moron to become one with the pavement.
Ralph

Stow, OH

#2 Oct 26, 2007
The police aren't falling for this one. As soon as they start citing students for jaywalking this Canadian-owned paper will do a story on the financial hardship that some badge-heavy cop placed on a single mom who is working two jobs to get herself through college.
Lazy Arses

Cleveland, OH

#3 Oct 26, 2007
No wonder Americans are overweight. They're too damn lazy. This is just further proof. Too damn lazy to walk to the next crosswalk. Instead of having APD ticket them, have the UAPD take care of some of the enforcement.
Falls resident

United States

#4 Oct 26, 2007
This isn't news-it's been going on since I was there in the 80's. I crossed (and jaywalked)Exchange, Carroll, and Buchtel every day just to get to the only dining hall. It wasn't laziness, it was another instance of college kids not thinking they could get hurt. The sad thing is that parents are now TEACHING their children to jaywalk at the elementary my son attends. They won't walk to the corner and set the example that the crossing guard is there for a reason. If the police come out, it stops for a few days and starts all over again. That's probably what would happen at Akron U also, I can't imagine the APD or University police having the resources to have a permanent jaywalking patrol.
Lazy Arses

Cleveland, OH

#5 Oct 26, 2007
Ralph wrote:
The police aren't falling for this one. As soon as they start citing students for jaywalking this Canadian-owned paper will do a story on the financial hardship that some badge-heavy cop placed on a single mom who is working two jobs to get herself through college.
Well, I won't feel sorry for her. She chose to jaywalk. She would be no different than the person who chose to drive drunk, gets busted speeding, running a read light or any other crime.
Ciar

Dayton, OH

#6 Oct 26, 2007
Kent State has barriers also. It stops students from jaywalking on 59 by all the resaurants.

Sometimes its not laziness. Sometimes we only have 15 minutes between classes and we need to take the fastest route. If that means crossing the road 350 feet sooner than so be it.

If someone crosses the road infront of an on coming car then they deserve to get hit.

Since: Mar 07

Akron, OH

#7 Oct 26, 2007
I can picture Dyer, sittin' in his tiny corner cubicle, eatin' his pilfered county jail lunch, watchin' the students cross Exchange goin' to and fro.

Two things Dyer,
One: they are too young for y'all.
Two: they are smarter than y'all and still too young for y'all. Try Highland Square.

In the past, Akron U's solution to pedestrian traffic problems is to close the street to auto traffic. They way the little darlin's can walk in the street with impunity.
mrsandy

United States

#8 Oct 26, 2007
Here's an idea - hire crossing guards like they do for the little kids. I have to walk across the street in downtown - in a marked cross walk and still risk getting picked off daily. Some day my family might own the city of Akron! Pedestrians do have the right of way in a cross walk, don't they?
Uncle Ed

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#9 Oct 26, 2007
Dyer you are a damn liar...

"At Ohio State, barriers between the street and sidewalk virtually force students to use crosswalks, and those who don't are often ticketed."

There might be one or two isolated area where there are barriers, but for the most part you can jaywalk where you want.
Disgusted

Dayton, OH

#10 Oct 26, 2007
Of EVERYTHING going on in this city, this makes headlines? I'm glad I don't subscribe to the Leaking Urinal.
citydweller

Peninsula, OH

#11 Oct 26, 2007
why doesn't akron u buy exchange street. i am sure our mayor will be glad to unload it for ten or fifteen bucks.
Steppin Fetchit

Canton, OH

#12 Oct 26, 2007
The Baggie pants crotch holdin, dumbed down individuals, won't or better yet don't understand, and will still cross where dey want to. Go back to da place where the baggies started, over on Abel St. den we will all be safer.
reader

Uniontown, OH

#13 Oct 26, 2007
Maybe we could assign them crossing guards as it appears they are not smart enough to cross at the proper place. WAKR has had an ongoing series about what has been done to make school crossings safer all week. Has anyone been around a school when they let out? All the money does not seem to have worked there either. The kids still jaywalk.
Disillusioned

Akron, OH

#14 Oct 26, 2007
You're in college; learn how to cross the street like someone who has some brains for goodness sakes!!
Tribe Realist

Cleveland, OH

#15 Oct 26, 2007
Betamax wrote:
In the past, Akron U's solution to pedestrian traffic problems is to close the street to auto traffic. They way the little darlin's can walk in the street with impunity.
That is NOT why UofA made the very smart decision to close streets that go straight through campus.
Tribe Realist

Cleveland, OH

#16 Oct 26, 2007
mrsandy wrote:
Pedestrians do have the right of way in a cross walk, don't they?
The problem is, if you read the article, is that crosswalks are NOT being used.
City Worker

Dayton, OH

#18 Oct 26, 2007
Tribe Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
That is NOT why UofA made the very smart decision to close streets that go straight through campus.
Nope---Beta had it right. Akron U closed Buchtel & Carroll to solve their jaywalking problem. Not a smart decision, as it just messed traffic up in that area, by funneling everyone to Mill or Exchange. But it solved their problem.

Of course, they'd probably like to close Exchange now that they have so many buildings south of Exchange. Too bad it won't be so easy in this case, as Exchange is a MAJOR through street.

“At least I'm housebroken.”

Since: Jun 07

Canton, OH

#19 Oct 26, 2007
I can understand why the police don't have time to ticket students for jaywalking. There is so much violent crime around the campus (muggings, robberies, etc.) that this is at the bottom of their priorities.
CAV

Reynoldsburg, OH

#20 Oct 26, 2007
Or you could do what they do in Pittsburgh in front of the Western Pennsylvania Cancer Institute. They have numerous signs indicating that pedestrians have the right-of-way.
ddd

Lowellville, OH

#21 Oct 26, 2007
''We do not have the resources to make this an enforcement priority,'' Akron Police Chief Mike Matulavich says.''But we do expect our officers to take enforcement action if they witness a flagrant violation during their routine patrols.''

I have to raise the question once again...Does the City of Akron have a sufficient number of police officers?

d

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Girard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consu... (Jul '08) Thu lampmaker 5,461
Mahoning County Sheriff Deputies awarded for he... (May '11) Oct 1 14 year veteran 2
Ex. Rep. Jim Traficant reported to be seriously... Sep 25 chris 1
looking for someone (Mar '14) Mar '14 momma Pam 1
City Wide Garage Sale (Jul '13) Jul '13 Liz Collins 1
Youngstown church gives away 500 turkeys (Nov '12) Nov '12 Dan 1
Community remembers lost loved ones by helping ... (Feb '12) Feb '12 ginger 1
Girard Dating
Find my Match

Girard Jobs

Girard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Girard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Girard