What's Happened to Watsonville Jr Wildcatz Football????

Posted in the Gilroy Forum

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#1 Nov 18, 2012
What has happened to the Watsonville Jr. Wildcatz football league? I ask because at one time this youth organization was the shining example of what a group of adults with one common goal were capable of achieving.
Sadly, it appears to be in a downward spiral; inner-fighting, mismanagement and self-interest have cast a dark shadow on this organization. The adults in charge seem to have forgotten who this is for, putting their egos ahead of the children and it’s painfully apparent. Accusations of preferential treatment, fund mismanagement and blatant disregard of league guidelines are surfacing from those in the inner-circle. This league is broken; people who were once friends now barely speak and participating children are treating each other badly due to the example of the adults in charge.
The so-called President, Ms. Ana Hernandez and her inexperienced Board of Directors, have made the last two seasons so unbearable that parents are abandoning our original hometown youth football league. If it wasn’t for Pop Warner football making its debut a couple of years ago, the children whose parents have left this once prestigious organization would be left sitting on the sidelines. Ms. Hernandez has single-handedly taken this league to the edge of destruction with her ‘it’s my way or the highway’ mentality.
I get that new management brings new ideas and change can be a good thing when done right. But, when the management and coaching staff along with a good portion of their fans look and behave like they’ve been recruited straight out of the red gang in town we’ve got a real problem here. I’m all for second chances and all that, but those opportunities should be taken seriously, keeping in mind that being in those positions requires being conscious of the fact that they are role models to dozens of impressionable children. Again, good thing the Spartans are now in town, they have provided a much needed alternative.
I could go on and on about the language out there, the smell of pot near the home-side bathrooms and how if you’re really lucky you may be treated to an argument between the President and a Board Member, or a parent or a fan. I could mention that certain persons in charge are clearly only in it for their own personal gain; whether it’s to put their own participating child ahead of the others or to simply have a title that they were more interested in obtaining rather than performing the duties that come along with it. It seems to be a clear case of power going to peoples’ heads. The drama surrounding this league has obviously taken its toll and it’s time somebody says something about it.
Our Jr. Wildcatz are not a stepping stone to anyone’s higher aspirations, we need to put people back in charge who are not only focused on the children who this league is for but who most importantly are willing to work TOGETHER to put this the league back on top. Let’s remember this when it comes time to vote for a new President and Board next month.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilroy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 7 hr g 2,270
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 9 hr zhuzhamm 5,079
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 11 hr Ultraman 200,968
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 14 hr Pizza 16,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Wed Blazing saddles 7,954
any cheap room in watsonville? Sep 16 Halin 3
Cops and Courts: Sept. 12, 2014: Surveillance i... Sep 12 Grisele Martinez 2
•••

Gilroy News Video

•••
•••

Gilroy Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Gilroy People Search