GISD board appoints first Hispanic member

There are 2 comments on the Gilmer Mirror story from Aug 19, 2011, titled GISD board appoints first Hispanic member. In it, Gilmer Mirror reports that:

The Gilmer School Board on Monday night approved retaining the current ad valorem tax rate of $1.19.5 per $100 valuation; adopted a $17.3 million general fund budget for 2011-2012; and appointed Charlie Cano as the board's possibly first-ever Hispanic member.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gilmer Mirror.

Willie Granville

East Greenwich, RI

#1 Aug 24, 2011
I made a copy of this article. A guy came over to do some work (I never met this man in my life). I told him to read the article and tell me what he thought. He said they should have been looking at the QUALIFICATIONS of that person and not RACE. When you read this article it makes you think who on the board is representing who. Are some there elected to represent white,black,hispanic,asian,ind ian? Then you got those who represent rich,poor,methodist,baptist,ca tholic etc. If you can't represent all you have no place in the public eye. The comments by King & Skinner was out of order, but it let us all know where they stand. In cases like this it would have been better to vote "ABSENT" BUT THIS IS GILMER AT IT'S BEST.
Willie Granville

East Greenwich, RI

#2 Sep 8, 2011
What is wrong Gilmer? None of you have anything to say about your GOOD SCHOOL SYSTEM? AND HOW IT HAS BEEN RUN FOR 80 years. I love to see how SCARED people there are. I have saw this all my life, they will back up like a CRAWFISH when it comes down to telling the TRUTH about the WHOLE COUNTY AND AREA WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO HOW SEGREGATED THE AREA STILL IS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 4 hr Test fart 639
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 8 hr Frank Pharts 819
What's the best Hair salon in Longview? Apr 29 hair 1
gladewater post 281 baseball team Apr 24 Albert 1
Review: Remedy Foundation Repair Apr 23 Diane Daniels 1
Inmate tries to bring meth into correctional fa... Apr 17 jaxhall 1
Buckner Westminster Place Hosts Political Forum... Apr 16 Lauren Witt 1
More from around the web

Gilmer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]