Dean Fowler to go to Court in Wood County

Posted in the Gilmer Forum

Able

Mount Pleasant, TX

#1 Sep 22, 2011
From the Gilmer Mirror 9/21/11

A state district judge has set the official oppression trial of suspended Upshur County Judge Dean Fowler for the week of Oct. 10 in Quitman, independent prosecutor Rick Hagan said Monday.

The trial was originally set for Sept. 19, but Judge Richard Davis of Canton recently granted a prosecution motion moving it from Gilmer to Wood County.

Fowler’s attorneys had opposed moving the trial, but Davis wrote that he had considered both his own and Hagan’s motions for a change of venue, and had determined the prosecution could not receive a fair trial in Upshur County in the misdemeanor case.

Fowler and two other Upshur officials, Sheriff Anthony Betterton and Precinct 3 County Comm. Lloyd Crabtree, were indicted on misdemeanor charges last Dec. 29 stemming from the removal of a protester from the Nov. 30, 2010 meeting of the Upshur County Commissioners Court. A sheriff’s deputy removed Jimmy Caughron, who had placed duct tape over his mouth to protest the court’s since-repealed ban on public comment.

The official oppression charge against the three officials alleges they denied or impeded Caughron the right to attend the commissioners court meeting and exercise a peaceful protest or demonstration. It also charges they had Caughron unlawfully removed.

The State Commission on Judicial Conduct suspended Fowler with pay Jan. 4, but Crabtree and Betterton have remained in office. All have pleaded not guilty to the official oppression charge, and to other misdemeanor charges against them.

Longview attorney David Moore heads Fowler’s defense team.
Paw Kettle

Mount Pleasant, TX

#2 Sep 24, 2011
It's about damn time!:) I can't wait to hear a lawyer explain why he broke the law. I hope he brings a yellow tablet with him. He can learn how a real court operates for once. Amazing his father in law could not get him out of this mess.
Barry

Longview, TX

#3 Sep 27, 2011
This ought to be an eye opener.
HAHA

Mount Pleasant, TX

#4 Oct 1, 2011
Where do I get tickets for this event? This guy is the biggest loser in Gilmer and I am not talking about the weight loss tv show.
Willie Granville

East Greenwich, RI

#5 Oct 3, 2011
7 days and counting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Upshur Rural Electric - Cooperative (Jan '14) Fri Steveo 4
Meeting on bond issue election draws pointed re... (Oct '13) Fri Steveo 3
man at mcdonald's Dec 18 Sterling Marlin 3
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Karen Pate Hart Dec 17 Noplaya 1
Henderson man charged with manslaughter in 2007... (Feb '09) Dec 15 c tiner 26
Sharon Daniels takes Jimerson's plea offer (Mar '07) Dec 14 Lisa 79
Gilmer Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gilmer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Gilmer News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Gilmer

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]