Upshur County Sheriff, Two Others Ind...

Upshur County Sheriff, Two Others Indicted

There are 17 comments on the Tyler Morning Telegraph story from Dec 31, 2010, titled Upshur County Sheriff, Two Others Indicted. In it, Tyler Morning Telegraph reports that:

BY PHILLIP WILLIAMS Special Correspondent GILMER - An Upshur County Grand Jury on Wednesday indicted three elected county officials on misdemeanor charges stemming from a man's removal from a meeting of the county commissioners court last month, District Attorney Billy Byrd said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tyler Morning Telegraph.

concerned citizen

Harleton, TX

#1 Dec 31, 2010
Well, people beleive that these county officials got what they had coming, maybe they did. I hear all of this that they didnt have notice, bull crap, no one else does. But, that being said, they should have had their notice and a chance to speak at the grand jury and here is why. Our founding fathers came hear with the concept that government was for the people and that it was possible, if not probable, that elected and appointed officials would misuse their position, and they have and always will. These founding fathers set up the grand jury as a PROTECTION for the people that charges couldn't be filed and trial commence without an indictment so that 12 people (the grand jury) would decide if probable cause existed rather than one judge etc. It was designed as an adversarial process which most DA's have gone away from completely and our very law itself is unamerican in that the preceeding are secret in the grand jury, not what the founders envisioned. By the way, two of Texas most populated counties have now allowed texas defendants to speak or their attorneys and made the grand jury adverarial as it wasintended, one of these counties is Dallas county. This makes sense and the Texas Legislature shouldrequire this because then bad cases would be eliminated in many cases earlier at the grand jury level, which would definitely assist in lowering the overcrowding of Court Dockets across the state. Lets just say that Fowler and Betterton or innocent,(which we should all presume, they have that right as Americans), and then we have a trial and they are aquitted because lets just say that they have strong evidence of their innocence etc, then we have waisted all that time and money on a trial, at whose expense (mine and yours). If they are really guilty the DA would have no problem indicting them even if they had been allowed to speak etc. BY THE WAY, I BELEIVE THAT ITS GREAT THAT BILL BYRD INDICTED THEM AND I BELEIVE A BUNCH MORE SHOULD GO DOWN TOO, AND I PERSONALLY BELEIVE THEY PROBABLY DID THESE THINGS, THE COMMENT IS JUST FOR THE SAKE OF MAYBE THERE IS ABETTER WAY FOR THE JUSTICE SYSTEM TO WORK, WHICH IS A MATTER OF OPINION, BUT NO MATTER WHAT, THEY SHOULD BE TREATED AS EVERYONE ELSE, SO WHERE ARE THERE MUGSHOTS ON UPSHUR COUNTY JAIL RECORDS? IF IT WAS ME OR YOU YOU CAN BET YOUR PICTURE WOULD BE THERE.
LOL

Mount Pleasant, TX

#2 Jan 1, 2011
I would like to know where their mug shots are also? Everyone needs to write the press and ask them these questions. Clearly with a GRAND JURY INCICTMENT there is something going on that we all do not know yet. I love seeing these people FRY.
About Time

Mount Pleasant, TX

#3 Jan 1, 2011
Judge Lauren Parish was over all of these proceedings. She is best friends with Dean Fowler and has known him all of her life. Do you really think she will dispense justice against him? This is Upshur County where the crooks run free (attorneys, judges, those in a political office) and the average citizen gets ran up the flag pole for the smallest of things. Especially those that oppose these people in ANY WAY. Everyone needs to send the press articles to every radio, newspaper and tv station they can to let the world know about these people and so that justice will be served against them. Otherwise justice will never be served against these people. These people have used their positions against many people for many years and its time to give them a taste of their own medicine.
Sheriffs a Joke

Austin, TX

#5 Jan 2, 2011
Isn't this the same County that just fired a jailer a few months back for stealing inmate property? The said jailer was investigated for the theft by his nephew who a detective at the sheriff's department. Anybody who would have an employee "investigated" for misconduct by a relative of that employee has no business in office.
UC's Sheriff needs to take some lessons from Sheriff Ellett.
What in the world is wrong with Upshur County? Fire Marshals that steal, Probation Officers that steal, official oppression running out that wazoo. Looks like Gilmer needs to do some serious house cleaning.
Larry

United States

#6 Jan 2, 2011
Sheriffs a Joke wrote:
Isn't this the same County that just fired a jailer a few months back for stealing inmate property? The said jailer was investigated for the theft by his nephew who a detective at the sheriff's department. Anybody who would have an employee "investigated" for misconduct by a relative of that employee has no business in office.
UC's Sheriff needs to take some lessons from Sheriff Ellett.
What in the world is wrong with Upshur County? Fire Marshals that steal, Probation Officers that steal, official oppression running out that wazoo. Looks like Gilmer needs to do some serious house cleaning.
Your right. I read on some other topix that Folwer had done the county insurance program with his then brother in law whom was an insurance agent. Now if he was honest in his job he would have excused himself from the program and had someone else to have overseen it. So just like the fire dept and and the jail the judge fits right in. Hopefully he gets a jail cell to think about all of the wrong he has done the people of Upshur County.
Steveo

Kilgore, TX

#7 Jan 9, 2011
Who is on the Grand Jury?
Phillip Williams

Kilgore, TX

#9 Feb 5, 2011
Someone said, "Judge Lauren Parish was over all of these proceedings. She is best friends with Dean Fowler and has known him all of her life. Do you really think she will dispense justice against him?"
As a journalist who is covering this case, I feel compelled to set this straight. On Jan. 3, Judge Parish disqualified herself from hearing these cases. The only action she took on them was to set the bonds for the defendants and then issue a gag order to limit the parties involved from commenting. After that, she took herself off the cases. As for her relationship with Dean Fowler, he HIMSELF told me a few months ago it was "tenuous," which means not the best in the world. It was even rumored a few years ago that he was considering running against her for district judge. Folks, please get your facts straight before posting on here, okay?
Phillip Williams

Kilgore, TX

#10 Feb 5, 2011
[QUOTE What in the world is wrong with Upshur County? Fire Marshals that steal, Probation Officers that steal, official oppression running out that wazoo. Looks like Gilmer needs to do some serious house cleaning.
[/QUOTE]

Here we go again, with someone who doesn't quite have his/her facts straight. The probation officers were NOT charged with stealing--they were charged with forging documents, not theft. Second, no fire MARSHAL has been accused of stealing; the former Gilmer fire CHIEF was indicted on that charge. Third, nobody has yet been CONVICTED of official oppression--they are just charged, as of now. Folks, let's be sure we've got our facts straight before throwing these accusations out there, please.
Upshur County

East Peoria, IL

#11 Feb 7, 2011
Wow, a Gilmer Mirror reporter trying to correct everyone on a blog area. I'm impressed. What's next, the wanted ads girl from the Thrifty Nickel coming on here to give their version of things? We all know the Gilmer Mirror will publish whatever it can to sell newspapers and half of the time the information is wrong. The so called well to do in Gilmer always get their version of "the facts" printed in the paper. Bottom line is that most of these people are crooks. They have done wrong. They have used their jobs to their personal benefit. It's all pretty obvious. Yes we all know they are innocent until proven guilty. What a joke in Gilmer. We all know the "illegal" system in Gilmer will try its best to cover it up and give them all light punishment, if any. Thanks for the comments Phil. Why don't you go ask Judge Parish why she can do Fowlers job and hers while Fowler is out. Does Fowler have so little to do in his job that Parish can handle it with her eyes closed? Is she just that much better than Fowler or is he just that bad? Over the last few years I believe I have read many times about Fowler having problems in his court and seen him on tv to the embarrassment of Upshur Count. Parish on the other hand just does her job day after day.
Scooped Up

Mount Pleasant, TX

#12 Feb 9, 2011
What no Scoop Williams replying back here? What are you doing reporting on the snow fall? LOL! Do you really think anyone cares or believes half of the stuff you put out? LOL!
Gilmer Experts

East Peoria, IL

#13 Feb 11, 2011
How funny another Gilmer "expert" trying to defend other Gilmer "experts." All of them don't know up from down and that is being nice about it all. They all sure hate to have bad news aired about them though. It's ok when they dish it out, but when it is the reverse everyone is always wrong. Well Phillips, Fowler and the gang. We are all getting a hell of a laugh at the squirming around you all are doing right now. It must really feel terrible to get a taste of your own medicine.
Stevo

Mount Pleasant, TX

#14 Feb 13, 2011
Phillips Williams....hah, he has been in Gilmer all of his life, working at the Gilmer Mirror, and has never amounted to anything. He just likes to talk and have people to listen to him babble in person, on paper or on the internet. He's one of the town idiots. Listening to old women gossip is more accurate than anything he could ever report.
Willie Granville

North Kingstown, RI

#15 Feb 15, 2011
Have you noticed how many are concerned about these cases? They are more concerned about who you supported in the state wide votes which was over in November? I SEE SAID THE BLIND MAN. Here is your problem not enough people wanting fair justice. LLLLLLLLater.
M Hall

Allen, TX

#16 Apr 30, 2011
I am hear to tell you that we dealt with this county recently and all the above statements are absolutly true. They didnt know they were dealing with an officer of another county at the time. They have violated mamy rights and laws. This is unacceptable under the "color of law". They took an oath and have cleary violated it. This makes other officers look bad and that we wont stand for. Keep tuned in because we have contacted the Texas Rangers and this will be dealt with. We obtained more evidence than you can shake a stick at.:-)
Willie Granville

North Kingstown, RI

#17 May 1, 2011
M Hall: I read your comment, but I have a few doubts about it. The Texas Rangers you spoke of were they members of the baseball team? This is why the state is in such of a MESS. I am glad much of this is coming out, there are and have been too many GOOD HUMAN BEING turned into criminal by the system there and other places like it. I know not where they will find them, but they will have to get some JUDGES that will JUDGE AND JUDGE FAIR for all the people.
I have had to fight this KANGAROO SYSTEM for years and I have no plans of RETIREMENT.
Justice is Needed

Kilgore, TX

#18 Jun 8, 2011
I heard one of the 'officials' was arrested for drug charges in other counties, but they were never arrested because they were friends with the people in that county. How can we stop this from happening? And how are we supposed to find out if it's true.. when officials don't go by the law??
Terminator

Longview, TX

#19 Jun 8, 2011
When are you going to get rid of all these clowns Upshur County? It's costing you more and more money everyday. Fowler is sitting on his behind drawing a FULL PAYCHECK each week from you. You elected the fool, so its up to you to run him out of office and town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilmer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 7 hr TheyPharts 1,135
Empires Feb 23 Willie Granville 3
Looking for a girl name Cindy her nick name was... (Jan '15) Feb 21 Maybe 3
News Mother, daughter die in train wreck (Feb '06) Feb 14 Shelly Loftus 9
wreck on 149 near tatum (Jan '09) Feb 13 Samuel Underhill 23
Kelly Wilson (Feb '08) Feb 5 Kmcc 155
Debra Timmons Feb 5 Ted 5

Gilmer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gilmer Mortgages