Helmke's record in Gillett

Helmke's record in Gillett

Posted in the Gillett Forum

John Helmke

AOL

#1 Jul 2, 2007
(Helmke Family Lore)

In 1858 two brothers, John and Joseph Helmke, arrived in Milwaukee from Germany and walked North West from there. When they got as far as present day Gillett Joseph decided that he would make his home there.

Family lore also has him as one of the city founders and Gillett was almost named Helmke.

John Helmke continued on to town of Hamburg ten miles north of Wausau. John was my great great grandfather.

My grenaparents kept in touch with the Gillett Helmke's but my parents and I have not until now. Could someone please tell me if any Helmke's or Helmke decendants of different name still live in Gillett?

In August my sister and I plan to make a geneological tour of Wisconsin making Gillett one of our stops. From your website I learned that Joe Helmke was a Civil War veteran which I did not know. Thank you for that.

I am he third John Helmke of our line in America.Our son is John HelmkeIV but with him our line of the Helmke name ends.

The Rev.John Helmke III

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gillett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poland - it just might be the new France (Nov '07) May '16 bluestreak returns 30
Lindy Hop finals Apr '16 Amy 1
Searching for Roman Glasow and Michael Van Laus... (Sep '11) Apr '16 Roman Glasow 5
Koch Brothers' Libertarians Hate Trump Mar '16 Vote For Trump 1
The Krakow Daily Eagle 2016 Winter Edition is o... (Nov '15) Nov '15 The Managing Editor 1
Slippery rock at Chute Pond (Jul '09) Jun '15 crazypie 5
Jason Young, Sabra & Kids (Dec '11) Apr '15 hauntedghost 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gillett Mortgages