If the coal industry is dying why has...

If the coal industry is dying why has it's employment rates increased?

Posted in the Gilbert Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MrWatson

Gilbert, WV

#1 Jul 22, 2012
CHARLESTON, W.Va.-- As West Virginia political leaders prepare for another round of attacks on the Obama administration's coal policies, state data show the number of mining jobs is at its highest level in nearly 20 years.
Last week, Boettner reported that West Virginia Workforce agency numbers showed nearly 22,700 mining jobs statewide in 2011, the most since 1995. If support industry jobs were added, the 2011 employment was 24,500, again the most since 1995.
http://wvgazette.com/News/201205170257
Informed and a Coal Miner

Gilbert, WV

#2 Jul 22, 2012
2011? Its the middle of 2012 and jobs are being lost everywhere in the coal industry due to the EPA and the OBAMA admins. policies. Take a good look around you MrWatson your check will not be there in the near future. One does not need their data from 2011 when the papers report jobs being lost by the hundreds in the southern coal fields! Its time we make a big CHANGE!!
Billy The Kid

Snowshoe, WV

#3 Jul 22, 2012
Informed and a Coal Miner wrote:
2011? Its the middle of 2012 and jobs are being lost everywhere in the coal industry due to the EPA and the OBAMA admins. policies. Take a good look around you MrWatson your check will not be there in the near future. One does not need their data from 2011 when the papers report jobs being lost by the hundreds in the southern coal fields! Its time we make a big CHANGE!!
You are a 100% right if we don't stand together and defend coal,we will ALL be losing...
MrWatson

Gilbert, WV

#4 Jul 22, 2012
What papers are you referring too? Maybe you need to get out of that air conditioned piece of surface mining equipment and get a real job underground like our forfathers and "I do" and do a real days job.
This article was run on July 18, 2012:
West Virginia Coal Association vice president and lobbyist Chris Hamilton told the Charleston Gazette that while he had not noted the increase in coal jobs, he did note that coal production in West Virginia and surrounding areas in 2012 has been down and said the gain in employment was likely due to a reduction in "Appalachian coal's per-miner productivity."
Why is coal-miner productivity down? Perhaps because, as Carol Raulston of the National Mining Association has pointed out, there has been growth in underground mining (which requires more workers) rather than in surface mining. Could the growth in underground mining at the expense of surface mining have been in reaction to the Obama administration's position on mountaintop mining (i.e., surface mining)? I'm not sure, but if so, it would be an interesting twist, with Obama's policies leading not to fewer but to more mining jobs.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
Published : July 18, 2012
MrWatson

Gilbert, WV

#5 Jul 22, 2012
Statement on Signing the Bill Amending the Clean Air Act
November 15, 1990
Today I am signing S. 1630, a bill to amend the Clean Air Act. I take great pleasure in signing S. 1630 as a demonstration to the American people of my determination that each and every American shall breathe clean air.
And in his own words.
“The result of this new Clean Air Act will be that cancer risk, respiratory disease, heart ailments, and reproductive disorders will be reduced; damage to lakes, streams, parks, crops, and forests will greatly be lessened; and visibility will be notably improved. As an added benefit, energy security will on balance be enhanced as utilities and automobiles switch to cleaner burning alternative fuels.”
This was the last law passed that gave the EPA rights to enforce emission regulations. So it is former President G. HW. Bush’s law that is affecting coal business today, not Obama who is just following the law that was previously enacted.

Gilbert, WV

#6 Jul 22, 2012
Thank you but I have 27 yrs underground and I also agree some of their power came from GW but they need their teeth pulled. I have several friends and family who has cancer now and ones who have died and not one single one was told in any way shape of form it was from Bad Air from coal mining. I can get on the Internet and find things to repost all day long that goes 2 ways. I know from experience as the rest of us do that are watching loved ones loose their jobs on Ky., WV, and Va. We love OBAMA so much we voted for a criminal over him. Would do it again too if given the chance. He made the statement he would shut coal down and I have to say he is a truthful man as he is doing just that!!
MrWatson

Gilbert, WV

#7 Jul 22, 2012
Thank you but I have 27 yrs underground and I also agree some of their power came from GW but they need their teeth pulled. I have several friends and family who has cancer now and ones who have died and not one single one was told in any way shape of form it was from Bad Air from coal mining. I can get on the Internet and find things to repost all day long that goes 2 ways. I know from experience as the rest of us do that are watching loved ones loose their jobs on Ky., WV, and Va. We love OBAMA so much we voted for a criminal over him. Would do it again too if given the chance. He made the statement he would shut coal down and I have to say he is a truthful man as he is doing just that!!
I can say I have more underground experience than you, I have over 30 years underground and around 50 years working around the coal industry as an employer and an employee. With your 27 years underground then you should know that there are cycles to the coal industry. Take for instance; just before President Reagan became president, if you wanted a job you could find one and within a year about every coal mine in the country had shut down. Now as far as people being out of work, I can honestly say that I know of no one that wants to work who cannot find a job underground, unless it is a red hat. You say you have family that have died of cancer and other diseases that weren't related to coal mining, will I can name at least 50 who have died or are dying of coal mining related injuries or black lung, my father for one. There are many who have to live on an oxygen machine day and night due to black lung. If we get Rommey; then what would your family have done with no medical insurance? He wants to do away with health care and let the providers govern themselves. We know where that would lead, higher prices making it impossible to get medical care. He also wants to do away with the minimum wage, where do you think that would to, higher wages or lower wages. What is leading to lower jobs; as you state, which I disagree, is that the cost of natural gas is so much lower than the cost of coal. Morgan Stanley estimated that natural gas at $4 per mmBtu is about equivalent to Central Appalachian coal at the $49 per short ton range, which is well below marginal mining costs. But gas prices would have to dip below $3.25 per mmBtu to be cheaper than Illinois Basin coal and to $2.75 per mmBtu to compete against Powder River Basin coal. All I can say about WV voting for a felon over Obama is that they are just listening to the propaganda of the power companies and the coal companies and not smart enough to have a mind of their own.
old coal miner

Gilbert, WV

#8 Jul 22, 2012
MrWatson you give it to them becaue people don't want to be told the true

Gilbert, WV

#9 Jul 22, 2012
I agree with you 90 percent but I don't think our answer lies in politics I think they are the problem. Health care is another issue all together. They say gas burns cleaner but it will also kill you if it is not vented so that in itself tells me it is no better than coal. I agree also totally about Romney he is no good either. I just don't understand why all the fuss about US coal when all other countries can mine it and use it at will. We alone can not change any of this but it is good to talk about it. I will say as I have said many times before we don't know the half of the whole story. As you say we are governed by popaganda in any political spectrum. So I sure don't like OBAMA as i stated before but he has done what he said he would do. Have a nice day. The end.
MrWatson

Gilbert, WV

#10 Jul 22, 2012
I agree with you 90 percent but I don't think our answer lies in politics I think they are the problem. Health care is another issue all together. They say gas burns cleaner but it will also kill you if it is not vented so that in itself tells me it is no better than coal. I agree also totally about Romney he is no good either. I just don't understand why all the fuss about US coal when all other countries can mine it and use it at will. We alone can not change any of this but it is good to talk about it. I will say as I have said many times before we don't know the half of the whole story. As you say we are governed by popaganda in any political spectrum. So I sure don't like OBAMA as i stated before but he has done what he said he would do. Have a nice day. The end.
I see now that we agree on most subjects. I also am not a big fan of Obama but I also know that between two evils he is the best one for the working families. As for coal vs natural gas the reason some of the power plants are going to it is because the cost per btu is cheaper than the price they pay per btu for coal. The price of coal would have to come down to compete with natural gas. This would mean workers would have to take a considable pay cut. I agree that coal is not the only pollutant, all carbon based fuels, gasoline in my opinion is worse than all coal fire power plants put together. Natural gas is just as bad, but the cost is making it more appealing to power companies.
I don't think Romney will make any difference in the coal industry even if he could relax the EPA regulations. One thing he wants to end welfare and reduce Social Security benefits and end Medicare. He also wants to lay off many government workers. What this would do is force people back into the work force even if they aren't able to work. This in turn would flood the job market allowing coal producers to lower wages because people would be fighting for jobs and would work for a lot less than what they are paying now. I cannot see laying off as many people as the Republican party wants to do to balance the budget can be called creating jobs if you are putting thousands out of jobs. This is the reason I will be voting for Obama even if I don't fully agree with him.
1 post removed
well my opinion

Bruno, WV

#12 Jul 24, 2012
No wonder Mr. Watson never could get it over on Sherlock Holmes, he's a dumbass
heres a thought

United States

#13 Jul 24, 2012
well i've thought about it and I just wanna say that sence we have had obama in office this country and our coal industry has went to hell in a handbasket with dorthy and toto skipping along the way. i say give romeney a chance. maybe it might be a good thing maybe not. BUT with him at least it would be a 50/50 chance rather then having obama in office again where you know it is a 100% chance that its gonna be bad. our country CAN NOT handle obama. the only thing that i see that he has really accomplished sence he got in office is that machelle's handbags got a lot more expensive and he tote bags, and her shoes, and her shirts, ect....they have ruined school lunches (not like they were the best always to start with), they have destroyed the coal industry, and are non-responsive to national and state disasters, gas prices are at an all-time high, groceries are outragous. I mean seriously.... do we wanna keep this up or at least give someone else a go at it? couldnt do much more damage!!!
Homey D Clown

Spanishburg, WV

#14 Jul 27, 2012
Dummy, the EPA talking point has existed since 2009 and has been proven to be a boogeyman failure. Obama haters are some of the most stupid people I have seen in the modern day.

McDowell County has more miners working NOW IN 2012 than I have seen in 20 years. That talking point that is spooking you should have been used when the loser Dubya or Methusela Reagan was prez, he did ZILCH dor the industry, that is a FACT. Blow me bitch.

Also 2012 numbers come out next year, just like prior years.
you are stupid

Myrtle Beach, SC

#15 Jul 28, 2012
you dumb ass look at all the miners getting laid off it is like growing a tree it takes a couple years to see the effects of what people do
old timer

Gilbert, WV

#16 Jul 28, 2012
you are stupid wrote:
you dumb ass look at all the miners getting laid off it is like growing a tree it takes a couple years to see the effects of what people do
Completely right, we are now seeing the full results of the George Bush policies.
Blue Meanie

Statts Mills, WV

#17 Jul 28, 2012
MrWatson wrote:
<quoted text> What papers are you referring too? Maybe you need to get out of that air conditioned piece of surface mining equipment and get a real job underground like our forfathers and "I do" and do a real days job.
This article was run on July 18, 2012:
West Virginia Coal Association vice president and lobbyist Chris Hamilton told the Charleston Gazette that while he had not noted the increase in coal jobs, he did note that coal production in West Virginia and surrounding areas in 2012 has been down and said the gain in employment was likely due to a reduction in "Appalachian coal's per-miner productivity."
Why is coal-miner productivity down? Perhaps because, as Carol Raulston of the National Mining Association has pointed out, there Did has been growth in underground mining (which requires more workers) rather than in surface mining. Could the growth in underground mining at the expense of surface mining have been in reaction to the Obama administration's position on mountaintop mining (i.e., surface mining)? I'm not sure, but if so, it would be an interesting twist, with Obama's policies leading not to fewer but to more mining jobs.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
Published : July 18, 2012
Did you see where he got his information????? The Charleston Gazette. Now that is a crock. The Charleston Gazette. HAHAHAHA!!!
old coal miner

Gilbert, WV

#18 Jul 28, 2012
old timer wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely right, we are now seeing the full results of the George Bush policies.
You are a 100% right but the people don't want to hear the ture they want to hear what the Republican Party tells them. but when they get these Republican Party in office they will never tell that they voted for them
Truth Is

Snowshoe, WV

#19 Jul 29, 2012
Republican or Democrat doesn't even matter anymore because the United States is between a rock and a hard place (Excluding the Economy) if the coal industry goes down.The way I see it Obama is against coal and the Republicans are for the rich people and the poor people are the ones that pay for it,So what do we do in a case like that? Any Answers?
well my opinion

Bruno, WV

#20 Jul 29, 2012
Truth Is wrote:
Republican or Democrat doesn't even matter anymore because the United States is between a rock and a hard place (Excluding the Economy) if the coal industry goes down.The way I see it Obama is against coal and the Republicans are for the rich people and the poor people are the ones that pay for it,So what do we do in a case like that? Any Answers?
You mean BARACK and a hard place
whisper

Gilbert, WV

#21 Aug 7, 2012
I agree with Mr. Watson. YOu cannot make coal sell. If there is not a market for it..you can pass all the permits you want...and still no increase in jobs. Common sense. So many have been blinded and forget that he inherited all of the mess that the Bush clan left...yeah they tucked their tail and ran. Left this country in one of the worse messes ever...and Obama gets all the blame...how forgetful America is. What is killing us more than anything as far as the economy goes..is these stupid..useless wars that Bush got us in...Bring our men home...and take care of home first...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what should bedtime be for 16 year olds (Nov '09) 1 hr Gigidi 60
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 2 hr luci 5,513
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 2 hr luci 10,658
Verner Music Thread (Jan '16) 7 hr Musikologist 3
Word Association... (Jun '12) Sat luci 2,607
Word game (Jun '12) Sat luci 1,361
Your new President Jan 20th Fri John Wheeler 2

Gilbert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance