Dynamic Duo

Huntington, WV

#69 Oct 19, 2012
I think they are telling everyone Monday to keep there hopes up. It will probable be more like 60 to 90 days at least. I feel sorry for all the families with the holidays coming up.
loaderman

Port Republic, VA

#70 Oct 19, 2012
Dynamic Duo wrote:
I think they are telling everyone Monday to keep there hopes up. It will probable be more like 60 to 90 days at least. I feel sorry for all the families with the holidays coming up.
Why you think 60 to 90 why do you not think Monday like they r saying
Nobama

Gilbert, WV

#71 Oct 19, 2012
reprobateslayer wrote:
<quoted text>
And natural gas prices weren't at historic lows, and the GREAT BUSH RECESSION hadn't hit yet, and a few more warm winters hadn't hit yet. There's more to it than who sits in the oval office, even if your boss tells you different. When have you ever know coal operators to tell the truth about anything?
Natural gas prices are low because of the Marcelus Shale find, There is a glut of nat gas these wells may produce five to ten times what the wells drilled in Southern WV do. And yes the energy business was wide open during the Bush years. There was no uncertainty in that enviroment like there is today with nothing but threats of goverment backed bankruptcy through EPA regulations and billions of dollars in windmills. Forest Gump could figure out what that will do to business investment everybody is going to sit on their natural resources and investment capital and wait for better times to make a profit. Guess who suffers because of that, the working man. Bull shitters dont make jobs or create wealth, business does, guess what bull shitters make?
Coal Truck Driver 164

United States

#72 Oct 19, 2012
I just wanna say that the coal mountain employees are a great bunch of guys that you will ever find to work with. I enjoyed working with each and everyone of you guys. Even if I was all the time in your alls way lol. I hope we all will get to return back to work soon. But if not I want to take a little time here to Thank You all for what you all did for me in April when I lost my grandson. I will never forget that. You guys have a heart of gold. Take care hopefully we all will be back working soon
Coal Truck Driver # 164 2nd and 3rd shift
Kristi

Bruno, WV

#73 Oct 19, 2012
reprobateslayer wrote:
<quoted text>
You listen to the a quote taken out of context. IF you're interested in the truth, you'd listen to the entire portion of the interview dealing with coal. But evidently, you'd rather be told what to believe rather than learn for yourself.
IF you vote republican, you are republican.
I know where I have been the last 4 years in the unemployment line. like everybody else. At least before Obama coal was fine. Now look what a mess. He lied about Libya, He lied about his birth certificate, he lied about his citizenship and he lied about his religion. he is a liar proven over and over. If I chose to vote republican then I am a republican. this time I will choose an elephant over an ass.
Facts

Logan, WV

#74 Oct 19, 2012
It is a fact that the rich pay 85 percent of all the taxes collected. Where do all of these check people think the money comes from? Most middle class pay little if any taxes. You people need to do the math or better yet look at your last tax return if you even have to file one and see how much taxes you pay.
who knows

Athens, WV

#75 Oct 20, 2012
reprobateslayer wrote:
<quoted text>
And natural gas prices weren't at historic lows, and the GREAT BUSH RECESSION hadn't hit yet, and a few more warm winters hadn't hit yet. There's more to it than who sits in the oval office, even if your boss tells you different. When have you ever know coal operators to tell the truth about anything?
I get the impression you think all us miners are uneducated hillbillies. Here are some facts for you. I have been a miner for 17 years and realize the coal business is one big roller coaster.I
have worked for bluestone coal for 81/2 years and have never had the company try to influence who I voted for in any way.I'm also a proud member of the UMWA who does back candidates through their compac committee.Guess what? They have refused to endorse Obama this time.Yes natural gas is low priced alternative to coal.But that's not the only reason some power plants are using it.By using gas they don't have to install all the anti pollution equipment the epa has tried to push down their throat.Me and other miners have attended college.I did complete a course in political science.
Therefore I know the man who sits in the oval office appoints the head of the epa and should have control over them.Since Obama has been in office,the epa has over reached their authority several times regarding power plants and coal mining.They have lost several cases in federal court because of their arrogance. I watch several news channels and read newspapers to get this information.I don't get the info from my boss as you suggest.So tell me again "OH WISE ONE" how the man in the oval office doesn't affect my job.
Boss

Warriormine, WV

#76 Oct 20, 2012
As of yesterday morning NONE of the bluestones mines will be going back to work til the 1st of the year, only reason they have a few people working right now is to get stuff fixed but once its done they will be idled just like the rest unless u are a boss and some of the boss have been let go as well. but for every bluestone mine it is anywhere from 60 to 90 days before anyone will be retunrning to work unless something changes and yes coal is still being loaded at all of these plants but these rumors of some coalmines going back to work in weeks is false unless something changes
big tex

Statts Mills, WV

#77 Oct 20, 2012
yes its true even some of the hookers that travel the coal mountain roads have been laid down to two now its getting really bad around here
big tex

Statts Mills, WV

#78 Oct 20, 2012
laid off only two hookers working that area now its bad ill tella
concerned

Bruno, WV

#79 Oct 20, 2012
who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
I get the impression you think all us miners are uneducated hillbillies. Here are some facts for you. I have been a miner for 17 years and realize the coal business is one big roller coaster.I
have worked for bluestone coal for 81/2 years and have never had the company try to influence who I voted for in any way.I'm also a proud member of the UMWA who does back candidates through their compac committee.Guess what? They have refused to endorse Obama this time.Yes natural gas is low priced alternative to coal.But that's not the only reason some power plants are using it.By using gas they don't have to install all the anti pollution equipment the epa has tried to push down their throat.Me and other miners have attended college.I did complete a course in political science.
Therefore I know the man who sits in the oval office appoints the head of the epa and should have control over them.Since Obama has been in office,the epa has over reached their authority several times regarding power plants and coal mining.They have lost several cases in federal court because of their arrogance. I watch several news channels and read newspapers to get this information.I don't get the info from my boss as you suggest.So tell me again "OH WISE ONE" how the man in the oval office doesn't affect my job.
I agree 100%
elmer

Gilbert, WV

#80 Oct 20, 2012
Facts wrote:
It is a fact that the rich pay 85 percent of all the taxes collected. Where do all of these check people think the money comes from? Most middle class pay little if any taxes. You people need to do the math or better yet look at your last tax return if you even have to file one and see how much taxes you pay.
1st what they call middle class is over 250,000 people around here don't make that he said 47% was scum.romney is closing now.
This Why Romney Won't Talk to Sensata Workers Whose Jobs Are Being Shipped to China? 11 7 12 after the election.obama bad but romney is worst.he's a rich mans
man

==========http://truth-out.org /news/item/12099-is-this-why-r omney-wont-talk-to-sensata-wor kers-whose-jobs-are-being-ship ped-to-china
Mitt Romney, the Republican presidential candidate, addresses an ...$450,000/ week income comes from ... get this ... shipping jobs to China!... Bain/Sensata brought in Chinese workers and made the Freeport workers train them.... the factory that they call Bainport and are trying to stop the Bain trucks that ...
reprobateslayer

Logan, WV

#81 Oct 20, 2012
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text> Natural gas prices are low because of the Marcelus Shale find, There is a glut of nat gas these wells may produce five to ten times what the wells drilled in Southern WV do.
The reason isn't important, the fact is, natural gas is cheaper and cleaner than coal, so power plants that can burn it will.
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>And yes the energy business was wide open during the Bush years. There was no uncertainty in that enviroment like there is today with nothing but threats of goverment backed bankruptcy through EPA regulations and billions of dollars in windmills.
No EPA regulations? I guess you forgot about the largest fine the EPA ever levied against a coal company for water pollutions under the Bush administration then huh? Wasn't Massey the receipient of the largest fine ever?
http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/12/08/epa-say...

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has announced that, as a result of its enforcement actions, U.S. companies will spend a record-breaking $11.8 billion on pollution control and projects to clean up the environment this year.

The EPA calculates that the moves will result in a best ever reduction in pollution of 3.9 billion pounds per year, nearly four times the reduction achieved during 2007.

Red Green & Blue ( http://s.tt/12A4W )

Notice the date, 2008?

Saw another interesting article today as well. Seems Appalachia's share of the steam coal market has been declining since 2000.

http://www.statejournal.com/story/19855439/ex...

It's true that West Virginia coal production is declining, Stagg affirmed for The State Journal, both in the southern and the northern parts of the state.

"If you look at production for Central Appalachia, it keeps coming down," Stagg said — from 24 percent of U.S. coal production in 2000 to just 17 percent in 2010.

"Northern Appalachian production keeps coming down," he said. That's the region that includes northern West Virginia.

"All of Appalachia keeps coming down," he said.

Is it the result of a "war on coal"?

"No," Stagg said emphatically. He has been talking about declines in Appalachian coal production for 10 or 15 years and sees current circumstances as only its most recent challenges.

"You've got coal-fired power plants that are closing. Some have been on the board for five years or more to be closed. They're old, they're inefficient. It was no secret," he said.

The extended global and U.S. economic downturn has reduced demand for coal, he continued. Power producers have been lured to cheap natural gas.

And most fundamentally, in Central Appalachia, a century of mining has left thin seams of coal in small blocks that cost more to mine than other coal.

"And by the way, yes, in my opinion, the Obama administration is against coal, and the Environmental Protection Agency has overstepped its bounds and the courts have pulled them back in," he said. "But is that what's caused the coal industry to be in the shape it's in? No. It's about markets."
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text> Forest Gump could figure out what that will do to business investment everybody is going to sit on their natural resources and investment capital and wait for better times to make a profit. Guess who suffers because of that, the working man. Bull shitters dont make jobs or create wealth, business does, guess what bull shitters make?
Forest Gump might be able to, but then Forest wouldn't have to lie about someone's record to try and make a cheap political point like you.
Bull shitters are those who simply spew the company line, regardless of whether there's any truth to it or not, you know, like you.
reprobateslayer

Logan, WV

#82 Oct 20, 2012
who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
Why tell you again? It didn't sink in the first time. IF you think putting Romney in as president will actually affect the coal industry in WV, you're delusional. It's about markets, it's about weather, it's about just about everything BUT the EPA. This coal has been in decline since 2000. The gravy is gone. But don't take my word for it, listen to what the CEO's of majore coal operations tell their stockholders or listen to the experts.

It's true that West Virginia coal production is declining, Stagg affirmed for The State Journal, both in the southern and the northern parts of the state.

"If you look at production for Central Appalachia, it keeps coming down," Stagg said — from 24 percent of U.S. coal production in 2000 to just 17 percent in 2010.

"Northern Appalachian production keeps coming down," he said. That's the region that includes northern West Virginia.

"No," Stagg said emphatically. He has been talking about declines in Appalachian coal production for 10 or 15 years and sees current circumstances as only its most recent challenges.

"You've got coal-fired power plants that are closing. Some have been on the board for five years or more to be closed. They're old, they're inefficient. It was no secret," he said.

The extended global and U.S. economic downturn has reduced demand for coal, he continued. Power producers have been lured to cheap natural gas.

And most fundamentally, in Central Appalachia, a century of mining has left thin seams of coal in small blocks that cost more to mine than other coal.

"And by the way, yes, in my opinion, the Obama administration is against coal, and the Environmental Protection Agency has overstepped its bounds and the courts have pulled them back in," he said. "But is that what's caused the coal industry to be in the shape it's in? No. It's about markets."
Dynamic

Welch, WV

#83 Oct 20, 2012
reprobateslayer wrote:
<quoted text>Why tell you again? It didn't sink in the first time. IF you think putting Romney in as president will actually affect the coal industry in WV, you're delusional. It's about markets, it's about weather, it's about just about everything BUT the EPA. This coal has been in decline since 2000. The gravy is gone. But don't take my word for it, listen to what the CEO's of majore coal operations tell their stockholders or listen to the experts.

Just wish we could come together when so many families are affected instead of playing who has the biggest cock. That's on both sides. Somebody please tell this guy he wins so more important issues could be discussed. He obviously orgasms when the chance of pissing people off arrives.
who knows

Athens, WV

#84 Oct 20, 2012
Dynamic wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wish we could come together when so many families are affected instead of playing who has the biggest cock. That's on both sides. Somebody please tell this guy he wins so more important issues could be discussed. He obviously orgasms when the chance of pissing people off arrives.
Agreed. This thread started out about mines being idled. I doubt if this guy is a miner or is connected to the coal industry.
reprobateslayer

Logan, WV

#85 Oct 20, 2012
Dynamic wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if people weren't so intent on pushing blame where it doesn't belong and instead doing what the coal industry should have been doing for that last 15 years, preparing for this eventuality, you wouldn't have the feeling you do about hearing the truth for the first time.

If hearing the truth "pisses" you off, maybe you should just stick with fox, they'll tell you what you want to hear.
reprobateslayer

Logan, WV

#86 Oct 20, 2012
who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. This thread started out about mines being idled. I doubt if this guy is a miner or is connected to the coal industry.
That's funny, I didn't see where you were whining and crying about post #5,#9,#14,#29, and a whole bunch more....oh, that's right, they were spewing the company line, in other words, just what you wanted to hear.
Dynamic

Welch, WV

#87 Oct 20, 2012
reprobateslayer wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe if people weren't so intent on pushing blame where it doesn't belong and instead doing what the coal industry should have been doing for that last 15 years, preparing for this eventuality, you wouldn't have the feeling you do about hearing the truth for the first time.

If hearing the truth "pisses" you off, maybe you should just stick with fox, they'll tell you what you want to hear.
Actually we're all just worker bees like you. It's obvious you work in the natural gas field, which is great. Having a job is nice. With all due respect though, we're not the ones desperately searching for articles to post from people who have as much say so in the industry as you do. The fact is jobs were lost this week. I hope for your sake you will be more "prepared" for your career than we were. So thank you for posting all your useless jargon. It really helped our situations out big time.
Worried

Verner, WV

#88 Oct 20, 2012
More Jobs lost because of the War on Coal..

NS confirms 200 furloughed in region

http://www.wvva.com/story/19866667/more-than-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in West Virgi... (Oct '10) Thu knot 1,766
drop a word//add a word (May '11) Thu Mark mark 5,569
Drop a word/Add a word (Apr '11) Thu Mark mark 9,446
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Thu Crowley 1,375
BOLD and TRYING (Oct '14) Thu TRYING-_3 259
" In God's Time" (Nov '15) Jul 20 TRYING-_3 71
Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Dec '09) Jul 17 Trunketeer 6,159

Gilbert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gilbert Mortgages