Ravenel Indictment Prompts Drug Test ...

Ravenel Indictment Prompts Drug Test Proposal for Candidates

There are 310 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 4, 2008, titled Ravenel Indictment Prompts Drug Test Proposal for Candidates. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

People filing for public office would also have to submit to drug testing under a proposal pitched by a state senator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
dibs

Sierra Vista, AZ

#309 Feb 6, 2008
I think this is just another step to make us all feel as if drug testing is normal and something we should all go along with, which it is not. We should not only not test politicians seeking office, we should not be testing ordinary citizens either; it's wrong.
The Truth Hurts

AOL

#310 Feb 6, 2008
If you receive benefits and or a paycheck from taxes paid by the taxpayers then random drug test should be mandatory. NO ONE should be excluded, The US President, Governor, House and Congress Representatives, law enforcement including the sheriff, state and federal employees right down to the county council members. It should also include welfare recipients. I suggest that the MEDIA (to be randomly chosen each time) be on site during the random testing, after all they would be the watch dogs because they need the story.

Although I doubt a bill like this would ever pass because most career politicians would fear the embarrassment when they are found out and the fear of losing their lifetime free benefits that the taxpayers pay them. They will also argue the expense of the testing, but the fact is it would pay for itself and save millions of tax dollars from just welfare recipients. Can you imagine the chaos when welfare is stopped for half of the country that fails the test? I suggest that everyone email these politicians and demand a bill be passed that applies to all of them. Whomever fails to vote for it--remember them in the next election.

I don't have a problem taking mandatory random drug test on my job in order to receive my paycheck. I don't have a problem with federal and state government taking taxes from my paycheck to help those get back on their feet or pay all of those that work to keep law and order and serve the citizens. The problem I do have is the government taking my taxes and giving it to those that use it to support their habits and know how to work the system to avoid working for a paycheck. Or, those that are being paid to protect and serve me but are on drugs/alcohol while doing their job. If you aren't guilty then stand up to the plate and pass this bill.
gettin it done

United States

#311 Feb 7, 2008
When i grow up, i do not want to be like Billy Boob. This kid is against holding thier feet to the fire. Against keeping them honest. Usually, when one is so anti, it means themselves are hiding something. Having an elected official who spends your money, makes the laws, enforces the laws, and a lot more, need to be tested!!!
We have lying, cheating, stealing politicians that need to be tested, kicked out, lose pension, go to jail. I fail to see where my rights are being violated here. Protected is the word. For all the Billy Boobs and die hard weiners out there, I hope it passes and if you don't agree, Mexico is to the south.
guess who

Columbia, SC

#312 Feb 7, 2008
Great News wrote:
Great News!
Yes it would have been Great News, but it was turned down! With the general pubic it's consider legal but Illegal for those involved in State Government. http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp...
Walker Chandler

Paradise, TX

#313 Feb 10, 2008
This crap has already been held unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in Chandler v. Miller.(1997)

Maybe there should be intelligence or ethics tests for candidates for public office.
Walker Chandler

Paradise, TX

#314 Feb 10, 2008
sandy wrote:
Yes I totaly agree I think all of our politions should have mandatory drug testing, they should not be any different then anyone else, most people when going for a job are required to take a drug test, well, we the people are there employer when they get voted in,
"If I am a slave, then ought not everyone be a slave?"
Walker Chandler

Paradise, TX

#315 Feb 10, 2008
Habit wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!!
Im subjected to randoms at my place of employment. Why shouldnt the folks that run our local government be held to the same standards as working citizens. I really am shocked this isnt policy already.
Apparently you take the position: "If I am a slave, everyone else should be too." Correct?

“ What's New ”

Since: Dec 07

And Exciting?

#316 Feb 10, 2008
I agree with Walker Chandler. I think that Intelligence and Ethics is more highly valued. Someone with them is more likely to not do drugs and so the point would be moot. However, someone without intelligence or ethics may not be a drug abuser, but are probably crooks in other ways. I am more concerned about the politician who is going to the highest bidder than the politician who smokes a joint to relax, or the politician who snorts coke to be cool. The coke probably just adds to the God Complex most of them already have anyway. Most of them don't drive themselves so they aren't generally putting others lives at risk that way. Most of the crack heads are in DC city politics, not national. I don't think that any of the party leaders would allow a serious abuser of drugs to gain any major national prominence. It would be too embarrassing for the parties to have someone coked out of their gourd on the Senate floor.

The major crime of politicians is being lying, greedy bastards, not drug addicts.
Sick and tired

Columbia, SC

#317 Feb 18, 2008
DBHRI wrote:
How about a proposal that all welfare recipients be drug tested.
ALL government check recepients of which a lot, not all, arefreeloaders
Kaolin Kronicle

Augusta, GA

#318 Mar 9, 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Citmortgage Loses Suit, Represented by B. Rush ... Jun '16 MortgageFraud 1
News Gang Presence in South Carolina (Jun '07) May '16 Carnival cruiser 222
News Delay on Statehouse workersa compensation bill ... Apr '16 Lone Ranger 1
News Deputies: Man Stole Copper from School Build Site (May '08) Aug '13 ha ha is Bubba M... 37
News Lexington Man Dead After Car Vs. Motorcycle col... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Dan 1
How are the schools? (Apr '13) Apr '13 MrsB 1
Paramount land holdings (Nov '10) Mar '13 L Cobb 4

Gilbert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gilbert Mortgages