Ravenel Indictment Prompts Drug Test ...

Ravenel Indictment Prompts Drug Test Proposal for Candidates

There are 310 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 4, 2008, titled Ravenel Indictment Prompts Drug Test Proposal for Candidates. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

People filing for public office would also have to submit to drug testing under a proposal pitched by a state senator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Great News

Charleston, SC

#1 Feb 4, 2008
Great News!
EJF Member

Columbia, SC

#2 Feb 4, 2008
It would be quite a change if the Government legislators had to follow the same rules as most people who work for a living.
BillyBob

Swansea, SC

#3 Feb 4, 2008
I can not believe how quickly people are willing to give away their civil liberties. There is no reason a candidate for office, except police chief, should have to submit for drug testing. Pretty soon a candidate for public office will have to be cloned because no one will ever be "good enough."
Your mom

Columbia, SC

#4 Feb 4, 2008
BillyBob wrote:
I can not believe how quickly people are willing to give away their civil liberties. There is no reason a candidate for office, except police chief, should have to submit for drug testing. Pretty soon a candidate for public office will have to be cloned because no one will ever be "good enough."
I disagree. Anyone on the tax payer dollar should get drug testing. This includes politicians, teachers, welfare recipients, and law enforcement. Private corporations do drug testing all the time, why should the government have a lower standard? If they are going to be paid or spend our tax dollars we the tax payers should have a right to know whether those who enforce and write our laws are breaking them. We should not however be testing students or private citizens (not involved in government) randomly. Legalization of drugs would put this issue to bed, but I don't think anyone is for that.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#5 Feb 4, 2008
I do not think this will ever happen. Those that have something to hide will invoke the "cost" of such a program and use it as a front to derail the bill.

In addition, drug testing can be circumvented by planning...if you fail a pre-scheduled test, then you are quite ignorant.

What we need is a random drug testing program...unannounced, on-site. The Government has a program that private industry has to follow to get Federal bids....why is that not good enough?
Sam

Columbia, SC

#6 Feb 4, 2008
Good! A lot of people must submit to drug testing before they are hired and these candidates should do the same. I say..do random testing monthly once in office.
EJF Member

Columbia, SC

#7 Feb 4, 2008
BillyBob wrote:
I can not believe how quickly people are willing to give away their civil liberties. There is no reason a candidate for office, except police chief, should have to submit for drug testing. Pretty soon a candidate for public office will have to be cloned because no one will ever be "good enough."
Excuse me BillyBob, but everyday working people are forced to take drug test at their place of employment. If they don't, they loose their jobs. Legislators and the courts have sanctioned this practice. Therefore, civil liberties of ordinary citizens have already been taken away.. Let's see if the legislators are willing to abide by their own laws and rulings.
festus

Decatur, GA

#8 Feb 4, 2008
why stop with those running for office?? every elected official should be subjected to random alcohol and drug testing!!!! i know a bunch would have to resign, but so be it. the way most of them act, and the way they spend our money, i think they stay on something most of the time. this needs to start at town council and go to the white house. oh boy, would'nt that be something. always pointing at sports and calling them to testify.....lets call ted kennedy first.
Strom Thurmond

Columbia, SC

#9 Feb 4, 2008
I notice Ravenel's sentencing has not been rescheduled--
ABOUT TIME

Columbia, SC

#10 Feb 4, 2008
I think all public officials should have to submit to random drug etc test every year. Each one of them should be tested every year! If convicted of DUI/drug positive should be terminated from office/duty. They should be held accountable for their actions. Do they do credit checks on these people? Maybe that should be done also...because if they can't handle their own money, how can they handle the taxpayers?
Trudge

Summerville, SC

#11 Feb 4, 2008
You people have no idea what a pandora's box you are opening here. Now I am the first person against drugs, but as soon as you open this door wider, the WHOLE gamut of "job testing" can happen. How about this: Fat people get tested for ingesting too much unhealthy food. Diabetics that don't know they are yet, refused medical services for their disease. Now you say drug testing already occurs. Yes, but you are free to refuse that and take another job, or start your own business. Pay for their crimes, convict them of a DUI? You betcha! Test people BEFORE a crime is committed. I am sure Nazi Germany probably did something like this. I know, lets refuse all smokers and drinkers employment because they will surely get sick from it, and the statistics do prove this out.
In SC

Columbia, SC

#12 Feb 4, 2008
EJF Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me BillyBob, but everyday working people are forced to take drug test at their place of employment. If they don't, they loose their jobs. Legislators and the courts have sanctioned this practice. Therefore, civil liberties of ordinary citizens have already been taken away.. Let's see if the legislators are willing to abide by their own laws and rulings.
I agree. Just think about all the high and drunk politicians out there making decisions that we don't know about....and we wonder why some state officials make such backwards decisions in issues that really count.
know it all

United States

#13 Feb 4, 2008
I personally love this idea.
But try to get this enacted and in place would be nearly impossible.
In SC

Columbia, SC

#14 Feb 4, 2008
BillyBob wrote:
You people have no idea what a pandora's box you are opening here. Now I am the first person against drugs, but as soon as you open this door wider, the WHOLE gamut of "job testing" can happen. How about this: Fat people get tested for ingesting too much unhealthy food. Diabetics that don't know they are yet, refused medical services for their disease. Now you say drug testing already occurs. Yes, but you are free to refuse that and take another job, or start your own business. Pay for their crimes, convict them of a DUI? You betcha! Test people BEFORE a crime is committed. I am sure Nazi Germany probably did something like this. I know, lets refuse all smokers and drinkers employment because they will surely get sick from it, and the statistics do prove this out.
Are YOU a politician?

“loving life”

Since: Oct 07

Sterling, VA

#15 Feb 4, 2008
BillyBob wrote:
You people have no idea what a pandora's box you are opening here. Now I am the first person against drugs, but as soon as you open this door wider, the WHOLE gamut of "job testing" can happen. How about this: Fat people get tested for ingesting too much unhealthy food. Diabetics that don't know they are yet, refused medical services for their disease. Now you say drug testing already occurs. Yes, but you are free to refuse that and take another job, or start your own business. Pay for their crimes, convict them of a DUI? You betcha! Test people BEFORE a crime is committed. I am sure Nazi Germany probably did something like this. I know, lets refuse all smokers and drinkers employment because they will surely get sick from it, and the statistics do prove this out.
By your same thought process of if you don't want to be drug tested for a job find a different job that doesn't require it. Just as they would be free to not run for office if they don't want to take a drug test. They also need to come up with a policy that requires welfare and public supported leaches in our society to be randomly drug tested. If they fail then they should be dropped.

“Hey! Let me hold a dollar”

Since: Jul 07

Myrtle Beach, SC

#16 Feb 4, 2008
EJF Member wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me BillyBob, but everyday working people are forced to take drug test at their place of employment. If they don't, they loose their jobs. Legislators and the courts have sanctioned this practice. Therefore, civil liberties of ordinary citizens have already been taken away.. Let's see if the legislators are willing to abide by their own laws and rulings.
I agree!!

Im subjected to randoms at my place of employment. Why shouldnt the folks that run our local government be held to the same standards as working citizens. I really am shocked this isnt policy already.
BDeRoysux

Columbia, SC

#17 Feb 5, 2008
The black caucus, Jesse & Al want to exclude marijuana.

“Missing my boys :(”

Since: Jan 08

Cayce, SC

#18 Feb 5, 2008
Lordy, if they do that most of them will fail. More cocaine goes through government officials than the police seize in a given year.
george

Manassas, VA

#19 Feb 5, 2008
it's about time. i have to pee in a cup when i apply for a job. ballplayers have to. these people who are supposed to represent us should have to do it too. all the way to the top, obama. and while we're at it, put them back on social security like the rest of us.
festus

Bay Minette, AL

#21 Feb 5, 2008
billy bob needs to be tested 1st.......and quick!!!! his iq has got to be at the retarded stage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
We had lunch today at sonic in redbank 🍔... Jun 12 Victoria Lee 1
News Woman pleads guilty to murders (Jul '07) Mar '17 Butcat 383
News Town might ease tobacco ban (Jan '09) Jan '17 TruthBeTold 83
News Can Lexington fix traffic woes? Jan '17 TITSOUT 1
News Gilbert Man Charged with Raping 16-Year-Old (Jul '09) Dec '16 Tyler hill 3
News Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Dec '16 jamall 98
News Gang Presence in South Carolina (Jun '07) Dec '16 Mason Dikxon 229

Gilbert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gilbert Mortgages