Gilbert High School Student Dies in C...

Gilbert High School Student Dies in Car Crash

There are 272 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jun 4, 2007, titled Gilbert High School Student Dies in Car Crash. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Tire tracks and debris mark a path of death and destruction, where a 14-year-old girl lost her life early Sunday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Heather

Columbia, SC

#2 Jun 4, 2007
Why the he** was this CHILD allowed to drive a car????? It doesn't matter when she would have turned 15 - the fact is she was only 14 and SHOULD NOT have been allowed to get behind the wheel of a car!!

Condolences to the family.
Jordan

Elgin, SC

#3 Jun 4, 2007
Heather wrote:
Why the he** was this CHILD allowed to drive a car????? It doesn't matter when she would have turned 15 - the fact is she was only 14 and SHOULD NOT have been allowed to get behind the wheel of a car!!
Condolences to the family.
I agree
Lonewolf

Batesburg, SC

#4 Jun 4, 2007
It's a shame that such a young life has been taken away because of an act of childhood foolishness.And that's just how quick it can happen,in the blink of an eye.
Billy Bob

Georgetown, SC

#5 Jun 4, 2007
This is terrible!!

What parents would allow this??? None that I know. Apparently, the tail is wagging the dog in this family!

These 'parents' should do time!!
Miss G Bella

Leesville, SC

#6 Jun 4, 2007
Man B dawg we're all gonna miss your crazy ass. We all make mistakes just some turn out way worse the what we wanted. But all we can hope for is that you RIP. we love you Beth.

Since: Apr 07

Lexington, SC

#8 Jun 4, 2007
Sportcat wrote:
I have a feeling the passenger allowed her to drive his car. Her parent's probably did not allow this.
I agree with you! Those of you who are quick to condemn her parents need to think before you speak (type). My question would be this: why is a 14 year old girl allowed out with a boy on a date at this young age? I teach 8th grade--8th graders are too young to date unless they date in groups. Also, her parents may not have realized she was out with the boy. These girls will tell their parents they are spending the night with a friend and go out with boys instead. In fact, it happened last weekend in Lexington.
JAY

AOL

#9 Jun 4, 2007
In this situation the parents will be at fault for this accident, unless the child is a runaway. Why in the world would this child driving at the age of 14 anyway. There is no excuse in the world for this girl to drive at this age. Especially with a 16 year old in the car. Parents the age limit is 15 for permit with an adult 21 and older. Restricted license at the age of 16. Come people that's why rules are made. She probably would have been alive if the parents put a foot down. Come on parents don't let your kids run your life you are the adult. Step up and be parents.
firecopswife

Leesville, SC

#10 Jun 4, 2007
why was a child allowed to drive a car she was to young and please do not point blame at the parents teens can be very sneaky when they want something. The parents only fault was allowing their child to be out without adult supervision. What a sad loss when are we as adults gonna stop pushing our kids to grow up and just let them be kids for as long as we can. Teens should not be allowed to be behind the wheel until they have had a full year of driver's ed with a trained teacher,kids today are expected to take on to big a role as adults before they are ready. Count your blessing we will not have to lose a child this way again. my prayers to the family.
Dixie Angel

United States

#11 Jun 4, 2007
I know this girl personally that was allegedly driving the car. She was a good person and no one has any reason to judge her or her parents because you don't them. These are good people that just had bad luck and I think you all should be sorry for saying the things that you have left on this page. Her family is reading these things and they are hurt enough!!!
Justice

AOL

#12 Jun 4, 2007
Sportcat wrote:
I have a feeling the passenger allowed her to drive his car. Her parent's probably did not allow this.
Wrong answer SPORTCAT... she took her older sister's car without her permission
Jane

Sumter, SC

#14 Jun 4, 2007
Sportcat wrote:
The passanger was not a guy! Yes they did allow it!
Billy Bob

Georgetown, SC

#18 Jun 5, 2007
Check out Mom's comments, http://www.thestate.com/426/story/82316.html

This is a pathetic excuse!!
Faith Mosier

Gilbert, SC

#19 Jun 5, 2007
I think alot of you posting comments should sweep around your backdoors before casting judgement on others. I know for a fact (working in the schools for years and being very active in the Gilbert community with the youth)that alot of young people will LIE to you parents that THINK "I know what my child is doing and where they are" or "OH my child would NEVER do that". WRONG -- open your eyes and smell the roses. These children will come tell me things that they can't go to their parents with. STOP and LISTEN to your children.

God made NO Perfect parent or child! We ALL have faults at both. However, parents do need to get back to being involved with your children and back to FAMILY time. So, don't cast judgement on others, if you don't know everything for the facts not hear say or thoughts.

God has a purpose for taking Beth from us at an early age. I know it has touched a life of a young person that saw this and they are not at this time "drinking with the buds". This may have been the reason this all happened.

Thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this time. We love you all.

“Think for yourself”

Since: May 07

Columbia

#20 Jun 5, 2007
I hate that a young life has been taken so early But let this be a lesson to the parents and children its a reason for every thing. talk to your children parents and kids please dont be in a rush to do adult things.
Tammy

AOL

#21 Jun 5, 2007
Billy Bob wrote:
This is terrible!!
What parents would allow this??? None that I know. Apparently, the tail is wagging the dog in this family!
These 'parents' should do time!!
First of all,
Don't be so quick to judge what you have absolutely no idea about, except for what you read or hear. I personally know this family and you should be ashamed at the comments that you and others have made. This family is grieving the loss of a family member, and people want to blame the parents as usual. No one can force someone else to do something if there mind is already made up. Unfortunatley, this happened to Beth, but quite frankly it's not of any of your concern. The only reason I am responding today, is because the concern expressed by Beth's mother about people posting cruel things about her and her family. Maybe some people need to find better things to do with there time instead of posting rude comments about something they don't really know about!
Tammy

AOL

#22 Jun 5, 2007
Jordan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree
Maybe Jay and Heather also need to read my post to BILLYBOB. Consider getting the facts or really just stay the He** out of it.
Whatever

United States

#23 Jun 5, 2007
Faith Mosier wrote:
I think alot of you posting comments should sweep around your backdoors before casting judgement on others. I know for a fact (working in the schools for years and being very active in the Gilbert community with the youth)that alot of young people will LIE to you parents that THINK "I know what my child is doing and where they are" or "OH my child would NEVER do that". WRONG -- open your eyes and smell the roses. These children will come tell me things that they can't go to their parents with. STOP and LISTEN to your children.
God made NO Perfect parent or child! We ALL have faults at both. However, parents do need to get back to being involved with your children and back to FAMILY time. So, don't cast judgement on others, if you don't know everything for the facts not hear say or thoughts.
God has a purpose for taking Beth from us at an early age. I know it has touched a life of a young person that saw this and they are not at this time "drinking with the buds". This may have been the reason this all happened.
Thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this time. We love you all.
I agree with you! My prayers go out to her family.
Whatever

United States

#24 Jun 5, 2007
Tammy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Jay and Heather also need to read my post to BILLYBOB. Consider getting the facts or really just stay the He** out of it.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and her family at this time.

I think these people posting rude comments need to think back to when they were 14..did you always listen to your parents? I think not.
The Truth

Columbia, SC

#25 Jun 5, 2007
Ok so if u read thestate.com it tells the story. she was at her older sister house..how old is she? stole her sisters boyfriend car...but why would she even call and ask her sister can they take the car? she must have let them before. Then he left the keys in the car...people do that?
Allison

Columbia, SC

#26 Jun 5, 2007
I'm sorry for what this family is having to endure but it doesn't sound like the parents were in control. I would have been too scared to have pulled a stunt like that at 14, scared of what my parents would do to me if they found out. This girl apparently did not have that fear, which is why she did what she wanted. I hate this happened but someone should have taken a firmer hand with her years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Lexington, SC (Aug '10) May 14 N. Haley 6
Debate: Gay Marriage - Lexington, SC (Jan '12) May 14 N. Haley 10
Review: Diamond Nails (Feb '14) May 11 mel 3
News Cold Case Suspects Face Emotional Family Members (Dec '07) May 8 The New King Of S... 32
News Lexington County towns seek road repairs and mo... (Dec '13) Apr '15 Theresa 3
News Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Apr '15 snickering 96
youth football Apr '15 newintown 1
More from around the web

Gilbert People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]