"No Kill" Animal Shelter in Planning ...

"No Kill" Animal Shelter in Planning Stages

There are 57 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 27, 2008, titled "No Kill" Animal Shelter in Planning Stages. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Richland County officials say a "no kill" animal shelter is being planned for both Richland and Lexington counties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
duh

Columbia, SC

#43 Feb 28, 2008
Trudge wrote:
It is good that you own dogs. That way you can be mentally superior to them.
Which is why many people are animal lovers... it takes far less effort to sustain a "meaningful" relationship with an animal that is incapable of higher thinking.
Cookie

Elgin, SC

#44 Feb 28, 2008
Trudge wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to lighten up an get a life. what he said was funny. And there is nothing I have said that is sicko. Some of the things might upset you, but you like most that are giving me grief probably value animal life more than human life. It is good that you own dogs. That way you can be mentally superior to them.
I was originally responding to "dirty old man" who truly IS SICK...BUT...when you added YOUR comment about the "Chinese restaurant"...which I do realize...(or at least I hope it was "tongue in check")...I bit!! BUT: FYI: I am "mentally superior" to my dogs....as I am to YOU!!
Cookie

Elgin, SC

#45 Feb 28, 2008
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why many people are animal lovers... it takes far less effort to sustain a "meaningful" relationship with an animal that is incapable of higher thinking.
Duh, your name fits!! I don't have animals because they challenge me mentally. I won't bother to explain why I have them because you wouldn't understand. Suffice it to say, I'm not even mentally challenged by YOU!! How many "meaningful relationships" do you have with people who have all of their REAL teeth?
Trudge

Summerville, SC

#46 Feb 29, 2008
Where did Ash go?
donna

Sumter, SC

#47 Mar 2, 2008
i have AOT of cats & kittens that are strays and i do what i can to feed them...i called the SPCA and i was told that they would be "put-down" b/c they don't have the manpower to tame them...i have tamed some of them...i wish someone would open a place like that here to help with strays...my love for animals stops me from having them killed

“There's no vaccine for stupid.”

Since: Feb 08

Here, there, everywhere

#48 Mar 3, 2008
Trudge wrote:
Where did Ash go?
To the "no kill" people shelter.
dogs of war

Villeurbanne, France

#49 Mar 3, 2008
DrMcNamara is gai wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm gai, and that's OK..
Agreed troll.

Here, there, everywhere

#50 Mar 3, 2008
What the h e l l is gai?

Like Moo Goo Gai Pan?

Clarify. Freak.

Here, there, everywhere

#51 Mar 3, 2008
dogs of war wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed troll.
You stupid dog, this sounds just like you:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]
ip freely

Rheda-wiedenbrück, Germany

#52 Mar 3, 2008
boo
DeJudge

AOL

#54 Mar 4, 2008
The Mungos should build it by themselves. Did the people know that their lease charge is $1.00 a year? Also this does not, " NOT " stop the killing of animals. The project goes to the local animal shelters and selects the animals that are adoptable. All of those not chosen are killed. I was at the County Council meeting. This is where I acquired this knowledge.
duh

Columbia, SC

#55 Mar 4, 2008
Cookie wrote:
<quoted text> Duh, your name fits!! I don't have animals because they challenge me mentally. I won't bother to explain why I have them because you wouldn't understand. Suffice it to say, I'm not even mentally challenged by YOU!! How many "meaningful relationships" do you have with people who have all of their REAL teeth?
My point is hereby proven.

How many cats can you fit into your large tricycle that you noodle around town?
Bobbie

AOL

#56 Mar 5, 2008
This is the most outrageous boon-doggle Lexington County Council has done to date. Lets examine a few facts that have been kept in the dark from the TAXPAYERS. First the track of land that Council GAVE to Millionaire Michael J Mungo for a measly $1.00 a year. He and his wife have had this land over five years now and not ONE animal has benefited from this GIFT from the taxpayer.
Second, the no kill "deal" means NOTHING since the source of their animals are "hand picked" from impouded animals at County Pounds. ALL DOGS NOT chosen will suffer euthanasia! The deception is insulting
I can't understand so-called animal lovers who are not willing to invest even a small portion of their own great wealth to finace their own pet boutique.
The six million tax dollars will not be a drop in the bucket! That is for the building alone.How much will we have to pay yearly?? How close is this property to MOST Lexington County Taxpayers?
I attended the Council meeting and was totally shocked that Council would EVEN CONSIDER the MUNGO
request!!! I am now biding my time for the next election!
Dot

AOL

#57 Mar 8, 2008
MICHAEL J. MUNGO?????? Never knew he was involved!
IT HAS GOT TO BE A FARCE!!!!!! ANYBODY KNOW WHEN THESE COUNTY COUNCIL JOKERS GO BACK UP FOR RE-ELECTION??? VOTE THEM ALL OUT!
Katie

West Columbia, SC

#58 Sep 6, 2008
I think that children, the elderly and whether you like it or not animals also.SHOUL NOT.BE ABUSED!!!.I have reported abuse on children, I have reported abuse on the elderly and animals. No one deserves to be mistreated. Children cannot speak for themselves as well as the elderly and when they do speak up the law half ass beleives them which is BS If you remember the case in a Fairfield Nursing home how those poor people were treated.Nothing was done until several people had died are were starving to death! Now to animals.I have seen abuse on several animals before and I can tell you it was not a pretty sight. It is pitiful. We the people are here to help protect the CHILDREN, ELDERLY AND ANIMALS..God createrd each of all of these and HE gave us the common sense NOT TO ABUSE but there are the very heartless out there that just does not give a damn and that is bad. If everyone could get along in this world and stop trying to out do one another and stop acting like they are better than anyone else it would not be so bad. STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND HELP YOUR NEIGHBOR,HELP SOMEONE THAT IS IN NEED. DON'T MAKE FUN OF THEM BECAUSE YOU HAVE MORE. i WOULD BE MORE PROUD OF AMERICANS IF THEY WOULD STOP ACTING SO STUPID AND GET OFF THEIR BUTTS AND DO SOMETHING BESIDES BITCHING AND MOANING.
jss

Harrisburg, PA

#59 Jul 10, 2009
I volunteered in a humane society. They wouldn't exist without donations and many man volunteers. To think they'd make money is a joke. Some dogs/cats remain there for months, they get constant vet care, and are neutered/spayed. 200 is nothing compared to the costs of upkeep, vets costs and damage that a 8 week old puppy will afford you - I can attest to that, I had one. And shelter employees aren't paid diddly. So there is a huge turnover of new employees. It's definitely not a money making scheme to say the least.
ASH wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of you are simply unreal! Animals die everyday at the hands of irresponsible pet owners. The ones that can be saved must have their shots, HW test (many have HW and must undergo treatment) not to mention being spayed or neutered,etc. The shelters/rescues are not out to make money! Why don't you walk a month in their shoes and listen to individuals such as yourself b i t c h & moan about a $200.00 fee to adopt an animal. You'll soon realize, the rescues are struggling just to make ends meet. Rescues get into rescuing because of their love for animals and wanting to try and make a difference in this cruel world! Many individuals will say, "Why should I pay $200.00 for a dog when I can get a puppy for that?" Well, there inlies the problem. Puppy mill breeders love people like you because you keep the demand for puppies up which in turn, keeps them in business. It's the poor animals who suffer. We recently adopted a female who had been used as a breeder all of her life. She was blind, partially deaf and her nails were so long they were curling back into her pads. She was dumped at the shelter when she was of no longer use. It's estimated she's 9 and has had close to 20 litters during her life. Some quality life for her huh? Well, she's got a quality life now for the rest of her years. Why don't you go volunteer for a rescue on the weekends to see what it's truly all about. Maybe then, you'll have a new, enlightened respect for what these people do and all without a paycheck!
USC803

Columbia, SC

#60 Aug 1, 2009
I am really glad to see this might happen. Our shelters are so over crowded & the private shelters are not very friendly in my experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
We had lunch today at sonic in redbank 🍔... Jun 12 Victoria Lee 1
News Woman pleads guilty to murders (Jul '07) Mar '17 Butcat 383
News Town might ease tobacco ban (Jan '09) Jan '17 TruthBeTold 83
News Can Lexington fix traffic woes? Jan '17 TITSOUT 1
News Gilbert Man Charged with Raping 16-Year-Old (Jul '09) Dec '16 Tyler hill 3
News Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Dec '16 jamall 98
News Gang Presence in South Carolina (Jun '07) Dec '16 Mason Dikxon 229

Gilbert Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gilbert Mortgages