Gilbert teen faces charges after skunk prank goes awry

Full story: TwinCities.com

What started simply as a smelly prank that an Iron Range teenager pulled on his sister took a dangerous turn and led to criminal charges being filed against the young man Tuesday in St.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 08

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

I just wanted to scare everyone. Yup, that could never go bad - scaring people with a real gun. Sounds as intelligent as playing Russian roulette with a GLOCK.

“Don't Say Like Dat”

Since: May 08

Jerusalem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

This stinks
Goes to prove if you cann't dish it out don't do it.
Cry baby, you started the whole stinkin prank.
John Gage

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Good for the cops in handling it like they did. The kid needs to learn a lesson.
More Carnage

Marshall, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Message for the cops:

Check to see if the dead skunk was killed by the boy
illegally too.

Something he might of done to get the skunk in the
first place.
The Boy

Marshall, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

James Kasal wrote:
I just wanted to scare everyone. Yup, that could never go bad - scaring people with a real gun. Sounds as intelligent as playing Russian roulette with a GLOCK.
Thanks dad!.........Next round I'll scare them
folks with a fake gun instead.
Ryan - St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Could have turned out worse if someone carrying a loaded gun happened to observe what was going on and decided to take the kid out.

“Who, me?”

Since: Jun 08

Amery

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

I think the PP got his name wrong.
I could have sworn his name was Moe Rahn.
Del Capslock

New Hampton, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

They should hand out warnings to these idiots when they hit their 18th birthday: Your get out of jail free card has now expired -- You will be held accountable for your actions.

Book him, Danno!

“What's Up YO”

Since: Mar 09

Everywhere

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

always remember its a round table.What goes around comes around.Pew what stinks in here?
water boy

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

mamma said they should hold a candle light service for the poor skunk he didn't do anything
John Galt

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

For some insight into how the Iron Range "reports news", the local newspaper did not so much mention anything about a skunk, or the background on this incident. They wrote it up as some backwoods terrorist attempting to go on a rampage.

Given the local character (Gilbert has less than 1100 residents and, I believe, 13 bars), this is most like the end result of one of the area's favorite pastimes, underage drinking. I'm sure it all seemed like a good idea at the time....
Wish I Were The Editor

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Poorly written. How about "Gilbert man, 18, points gun at and threatens three people at an SA"?
The use of "teen" & "prank" minimize the situation and draws a conclusion as to motive. The young man's an idiot.
Now Look

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

For Gilbert this kid is bright!

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

boys will be boys

“WHAT WERE YA THINKIN ?”

Since: Mar 09

CUCKOO'S NEST

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

where is Gilbert never heard of it I might want to visit there
Sam

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

No. on I35 Left at 33 (or is it 53, range cities) watch signs to Gilbert. 3 hours.

Make sure you enjoy a meal at the Jamacain restraunt (sp?) in Gilbert, world renound.

Take your 4 wheeler along and enjoy the OHV park.

The Hockey Hall of Fame is in Eveleth, not far from Gilbert.

Take fishing gear and enjoy fishing in Lake Ore-Be-Gone, a flooded ore pit in Gilbert, 350 feet deep crystal clear full of fish.

Enjoy a tour of an iron ore pit and check out a euke (sp?).

Enjoy world class golf courses at Giants Ridge.

A side trip to Ely to tour the Sudan mine, 1,100 feet deep.

Visit the wolf zoo.

It's Minnesota at its best!!

==========
Gilbert Grape wrote:
where is Gilbert never heard of it I might want to visit there
SpaceCowboy

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Sam wrote:
No. on I35 Left at 33 (or is it 53, range cities) watch signs to Gilbert. 3 hours.
Make sure you enjoy a meal at the Jamacain restraunt (sp?) in Gilbert, world renound.
Take your 4 wheeler along and enjoy the OHV park.
The Hockey Hall of Fame is in Eveleth, not far from Gilbert.
Take fishing gear and enjoy fishing in Lake Ore-Be-Gone, a flooded ore pit in Gilbert, 350 feet deep crystal clear full of fish.
Enjoy a tour of an iron ore pit and check out a euke (sp?).
Enjoy world class golf courses at Giants Ridge.
A side trip to Ely to tour the Sudan mine, 1,100 feet deep.
Visit the wolf zoo.
It's Minnesota at its best!!
==========
<quoted text>
LOL My cousin moved up that way to get away from "big city crime".. Since then he's had 3 cars stolen and dumped in the pits, burglarized twice, two dog's stolen and one neighbor (unknown to him) busted for meth production. I'm sure it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't wanna live there.

Crosby Minnesota does have one of the best fireworks displays and parade on the 4th though. And I agree on the fishing.
Sam

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

You are 100% correct there is a bit of meth up there and crime.

IRRRB gets a lot of money and spends it freely. Find ore pits and some have lots of rainbow trout etc.

==========
SpaceCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL My cousin moved up that way to get away from "big city crime".. Since then he's had 3 cars stolen and dumped in the pits, burglarized twice, two dog's stolen and one neighbor (unknown to him) busted for meth production. I'm sure it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't wanna live there.
Crosby Minnesota does have one of the best fireworks displays and parade on the 4th though. And I agree on the fishing.
John Galt

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

SpaceCowboy, you have it right on the money. The Iron Range is for the most part populated by a bunch of inbred yahoos who regard violent crime as an appropriate means of expression and pathological intoxication as a way of life. Cognitive ability is slim to non-existent, ditto for personal boundaries or respect for private property. The Iron Range is Minnesota's Appalachia.

I believe the crime rate in this area is close to the highest per capita in the state, if not the country. This is typically explained away by blaming the activity on "people from out of town" and "612ers" (the Range name for people from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area--they haven't yet figured out that there is no longer a single area code for the metro area).

Now and then a story like this pops up when there are enough witnesses to get law enforcement involved. For the most part, however, area law enforcement acts as hired thugs who willingly come in to settle private disputes, often hanging phony charges on someone as a result or confiscating property.

The former Eveleth police chief and his son have a small business of sorts. They drive around in a truck and steal from area businesses--everything from recyclable metals to expensive equipment. Neither has yet to spend a day in jail.

My best advice to anyone coming to visit the Iron Range would be to bring a gun. Except that doing so will get you arrested and jailed, your gun taken away (and quite possibly your vehicle), and a hefty fine collected to enrich the community chest.

Iron Rangers have yet to learn the lesson every tapeworm knows: that if you kill your host, you die as well. But they suck at the public teat for all they're worth, and if weaned, would starve. This does not stop them from biting the hand that feeds them on every possible occasion.
SpaceCowboy

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

John Galt wrote:
SpaceCowboy, you have it right on the money. The Iron Range is for the most part populated by a bunch of inbred yahoos who regard violent crime as an appropriate means of expression and pathological intoxication as a way of life. Cognitive ability is slim to non-existent, ditto for personal boundaries or respect for private property. The Iron Range is Minnesota's Appalachia.
I believe the crime rate in this area is close to the highest per capita in the state, if not the country. This is typically explained away by blaming the activity on "people from out of town" and "612ers" (the Range name for people from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area--they haven't yet figured out that there is no longer a single area code for the metro area).
Now and then a story like this pops up when there are enough witnesses to get law enforcement involved. For the most part, however, area law enforcement acts as hired thugs who willingly come in to settle private disputes, often hanging phony charges on someone as a result or confiscating property.
The former Eveleth police chief and his son have a small business of sorts. They drive around in a truck and steal from area businesses--everything from recyclable metals to expensive equipment. Neither has yet to spend a day in jail.
My best advice to anyone coming to visit the Iron Range would be to bring a gun. Except that doing so will get you arrested and jailed, your gun taken away (and quite possibly your vehicle), and a hefty fine collected to enrich the community chest.
Iron Rangers have yet to learn the lesson every tapeworm knows: that if you kill your host, you die as well. But they **** at the public teat for all they're worth, and if weaned, would starve. This does not stop them from biting the hand that feeds them on every possible occasion.
WOW! You just summed up my Cousin's neighborhood in 6 paragraphs. The only thing is the "612" thing. In my cousins neighborhood we're "Citiots". Don't get me wrong though, I love visiting. But 4 or 5 days is PLENTY.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gilbert Discussions

Search the Gilbert Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
murder Apr '14 Dee 1
Eveleth (Dec '05) Apr '14 Dee 17
28-year-old Two Harbors man held in Megan Ashle... (Dec '07) Jul '13 get your facts straight 24
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) May '12 Paul G Christensen 16
MN Minnesota Primary Election August 10: Will you ... (Aug '10) Apr '12 kayla 16
MN Who do you support for Auditor in Minnesota in ... (Oct '10) Jan '12 a7d6f4 62
•••

Flood Warning for St Louis County was issued at July 12 at 4:38PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Gilbert Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Gilbert People Search