Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72039 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Abolish The Fed

Stamford, CT

#70463 Mar 30, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Where it be?
East main st Stamford.
Abolish The Fed

Stamford, CT

#70464 Mar 30, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
Christians, You’re Not Victims
From what I read and hear, conservative evangelical Christians are feeling victimized by developments in American culture and in the ways they are being treated under new anti-discrimination laws. In ever greater numbers, they are appealing to the courts to grant them “relief” from regulations that they feel violates their freedom of religion.“Religious liberty” has become the rallying cry for a legal “remedy” to the violation of what they see as their freedom to practice their religion.
It is understandable that religious conservatives would feel uncomfortable and unsettled by recent developments in the church and in the culture. But are they victims? Is there, as many would claim, a “war on religion?”...
http://news.yahoo.com/christians-not-victims-...
Do you love your parents?
Abolish The Fed

White Plains, NY

#70465 Mar 30, 2014
Any black men looking for gay times?

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#70467 Mar 31, 2014
Abolish The Fed wrote:
Any black men looking for gay times?
Hugh would seize the chance.

Do you think gay sex is abnormal even though homosexuality is observed across a wide spectrum of species?

The fact that gay sex cannot result in procreation is patently clear and so gays cannot propagate humanity and had most men been gay then by now the human species would have become extinct or would have been on the verge of extinction.

Where procreation is concerned, gay sex is abnormal but what about gay sex per se without involving procreation?

If unlike charges/unlike magnetic poles attract then at the level of sentient species shouldn't unlike genders be sexually attracted to each other in keeping with the natural law of unlikes attracting at least where basic nature is concerned?

What do you say?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70468 Mar 31, 2014
Abolish The Fed wrote:
<quoted text>
East main st Stamford.
Used to frequent Pappa's Pizza back in the mid-70s.

Loved those little personal size pizzas.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70469 Mar 31, 2014
LDS Church response[edit]

The response of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the musical has been described as "measured".[66] The church released an official response to inquiries regarding the musical, stating, "The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ."[67] Michael Otterson, the head of Public Affairs for the church, followed in April 2011 with measured criticism. "Of course, parody isn't reality, and it's the very distortion that makes it appealing and often funny. The danger is not when people laugh but when they take it seriously—if they leave a theater believing that Mormons really do live in some kind of a surreal world of self-deception and illusion", Otterson wrote, outlining various humanitarian efforts achieved by Mormon missionaries in Africa in recent years.[68][69].......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Morm... (musical)#Reception

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70470 Mar 31, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hugh would seize the chance.
Do you think gay sex is abnormal even though homosexuality is observed across a wide spectrum of species?
The fact that gay sex cannot result in procreation is patently clear and so gays cannot propagate humanity and had most men been gay then by now the human species would have become extinct or would have been on the verge of extinction.
Where procreation is concerned, gay sex is abnormal but what about gay sex per se without involving procreation?
If unlike charges/unlike magnetic poles attract then at the level of sentient species shouldn't unlike genders be sexually attracted to each other in keeping with the natural law of unlikes attracting at least where basic nature is concerned?
What do you say?
Dork,

that was a troll

be attentive. Yoga is not excuse for blindness

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70471 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
LDS Church response[edit]
. The danger is not when people laugh but when they take it seriously—if they leave a theater believing that Mormons really do live in some kind of a surreal world of self-deception and illusion",
I dont think its a theological issue, as much as an age issue. Missionaries tend to be young adults at that stage at their lives with limited experience and much naivety, often from sheltered backgrounds. Probably a significant amount of them grow up very quickly through mission, which is usually seen as a big adventure (rightfully so IMO).

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70472 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Fox News, absolutely!
Fox News motto (per Stephen Colbert): "We Report, But You Should Really Check With Someone Else".

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#70473 Mar 31, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox News motto (per Stephen Colbert): "We Report, But You Should Really Check With Someone Else".
LSM Motto

"We report and decide what we think you should know, But You Should Really Check With Someone Else if You Want to Know the Truth"
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70474 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think its a theological issue, as much as an age issue. Missionaries tend to be young adults at that stage at their lives with limited experience and much naivety, often from sheltered backgrounds. Probably a significant amount of them grow up very quickly through mission, which is usually seen as a big adventure (rightfully so IMO).
Well, I do think if one is going to invest millions to put on a Broadway musical that pokes fun at a religion (that started in upstate New York 150 years ago)- one would do well to realize that audiences prefer to see young, pretty bodies dancing and singing for 2+ hours!

Seriously though, are you saying the play pokes funs more at young people in general than at Mormons?
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70475 Mar 31, 2014
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
LSM Motto
"We report and decide what we think you should know, But You Should Really Check With Someone Else if You Want to Know the Truth"
Living Stream Ministry (LSM), originally named Stream Publishers when founded in 1965 by Witness Lee,[1] is a non-profit corporation currently based in Anaheim, California. LSM publishes the works of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee, including the Recovery Version of the Bible. LSM has been a member of the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association since 2002 and of the Christian Booksellers Association since 1981.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70476 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I do think if one is going to invest millions to put on a Broadway musical that pokes fun at a religion (that started in upstate New York 150 years ago)- one would do well to realize that audiences prefer to see young, pretty bodies dancing and singing for 2+ hours!
Seriously though, are you saying the play pokes funs more at young people in general than at Mormons?
no, not at all. I dont think most people think this through. That play was intended to poks fun at Mormons in general. But in general that stereotype is probably mainly because of the youth factor.

The Mormons loose a huge percentage of believers a year due to the mission rite of passage.(source: dated a mormon long long time ago)
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70477 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
no, not at all. I dont think most people think this through. That play was intended to poks fun at Mormons in general. But in general that stereotype is probably mainly because of the youth factor.
The Mormons loose a huge percentage of believers a year due to the mission rite of passage.(source: dated a mormon long long time ago)
I don't know. The whole thing seems shakier than most. Joseph Smith was a known charlatan with a long criminal record. Everything was based on his own word as far as I can tell.

The Mormons are a very powerful, controlling, wealthy and secretive group.

They are listed as the 4th largest religion in the US, so they must be doing something right.
(I read that somewhere this weekend.)

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70478 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. The whole thing seems shakier than most. Joseph Smith was a known charlatan with a long criminal record. Everything was based on his own word as far as I can tell.
The Mormons are a very powerful, controlling, wealthy and secretive group.
They are listed as the 4th largest religion in the US, so they must be doing something right.
(I read that somewhere this weekend.)
No question they are controlling. In fact, that is the opposite of naivety (which I am assuming is the stereotype the musical is making fun of?).

What they are doing right is that they wrestled a homeland, using violence, and continued to build up their institutions over time. Hyper-organized.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#70479 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know. The whole thing seems shakier than most. Joseph Smith was a known charlatan with a long criminal record. Everything was based on his own word as far as I can tell.
The Mormons are a very powerful, controlling, wealthy and secretive group.
They are listed as the 4th largest religion in the US, so they must be doing something right.
(I read that somewhere this weekend.)
not as secretive as they would hope to be anymore

http://www.amazon.com/Unveiling-Grace-Story-M...
Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church

If I recollect, there was another big expose during the mid 90s as well - billed at the time as the "first" expose.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#70480 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
not as secretive as they would hope to be anymore
http://www.amazon.com/Unveiling-Grace-Story-M...
Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church
If I recollect, there was another big expose during the mid 90s as well - billed at the time as the "first" expose.
I remember seeing the various exposes - 60 Minutes/Dateline-type shows - about them. You'd think you were dealing with KGB at times. Big money and power.

I don't believe every word I see or hear but after a while you have to wonder.

I think they would like to think the play was just mocking some stereotype but to me it was doing as good a job at making fun of the religion itself and many of their beliefs.

For example "The Garden of Eden is in Missouri." Now why that sounds any sillier than if it were wherever the bible said it was.....is a good question....but it does!

"Adam-ondi-Ahman (/æd&#601;m &#593;&#720;nda&#6 18; &#593;&#720;m&#601 ;n/, sometimes clipped to Diahman) is a historic site along the east bluffs above the Grand River located about five miles south of Jameson in Daviess County, Missouri. According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), it is the site where Adam and Eve lived after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. They believe it will be a gathering spot for a meeting of the priesthood leadership, including prophets of all ages and other righteous people, prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam-ondi-Ahman

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70481 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
no, not at all. I dont think most people think this through. That play was intended to poks fun at Mormons in general. But in general that stereotype is probably mainly because of the youth factor.
The Mormons loose a huge percentage of believers a year due to the mission rite of passage.(source: dated a Mormon long long time ago)
What stereotypes are you referring to?

Their beliefs are all well documented. Their missions are ubiquitous and witnessed by many. What exactly are you referring to as a stereotype?

In their defense, however, their religion is no weirder than most other religions.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70482 Mar 31, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
not as secretive as they would hope to be anymore
http://www.amazon.com/Unveiling-Grace-Story-M...
Unveiling Grace: The Story of How We Found Our Way out of the Mormon Church
If I recollect, there was another big expose during the mid 90s as well - billed at the time as the "first" expose.
The Internet and the ubiquitousness of information makes keeping secrets pretty difficult these days. Just ask the Scientologists; or the NSA.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#70483 Mar 31, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember seeing the various exposes - 60 Minutes/Dateline-type shows - about them. You'd think you were dealing with KGB at times. Big money and power.
I don't believe every word I see or hear but after a while you have to wonder.
I think they would like to think the play was just mocking some stereotype but to me it was doing as good a job at making fun of the religion itself and many of their beliefs.
For example "The Garden of Eden is in Missouri." Now why that sounds any sillier than if it were wherever the bible said it was.....is a good question....but it does!
"Adam-ondi-Ahman (/æd&#601;m &#593;&#720;nda&#6 18; &#593;&#720;m&#601 ;n/, sometimes clipped to Diahman) is a historic site along the east bluffs above the Grand River located about five miles south of Jameson in Daviess County, Missouri. According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), it is the site where Adam and Eve lived after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. They believe it will be a gathering spot for a meeting of the priesthood leadership, including prophets of all ages and other righteous people, prior to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam-ondi-Ahman
Human Nature. Stories coming from ancient manuscripts create an illusion of authenticism and truth due to their longevity. It's the old Argument From Age (Wisdom of the Ancients) logical fallacy.

But really, stories of ancient religions (2000+ years old) are no sillier than Mormonism or any other modern religion. Take mainstream Xtianity, for instance. A child (through no fault of their own) is born with original sin. So God sent himself (Jesus) in human form to be sacrificed to himself in order to save mankind. So now, Xtians eat his body and drink his blood (real, not metaphor, according to Catholics), and all is good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gila Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jul '17 Tony 630
News Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 5
News Twenty-five car pile-up leaves six people dead Jun '17 Budda Gojkovich 2
News Fiesta Latina heats things upJune 19th, 2017 Jun '17 I love the southwest 1
News 16-year-old student dies (May '07) Jun '17 Cherie griego 10
News Man caught hunting out of season fined $4k Jun '17 Bob 1
News Doctor accused of inappropriate exam behavior t... (Nov '09) Jun '17 Yimminy Rickets 356

Gila Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gila Mortgages