Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Comments (Page 3,041)

Showing posts 60,801 - 60,820 of64,874
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Does theism require a deity separate from the observer? Not by definition, at least I don't think so.
The fact that panentheism has "theism" in its name would tell me that it is a form of theism.
pan - Greek for "all"
en - Greek for "in"
theos - Greek for "God"
Panentheism - "All-in-God"
But that's just a pragmatic look at it, not necessarily a philosophical one.

Atheism has theism in it too...

And pantheism (true pantheism, and not nature polytheism) is definitely not theistic, at least in the common used sense.

I sometimes look at pantheism and panentheism as NOT the opposite of atheism but as part of a different typology altogether

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Was I harsh?
Whatever happened to an eye for an eye?
Seriously, he's said mean stuff to all of us!
I think he can handle a little tough love.
the ouch was a bout of empathy (something that differentiates us from many animals and insects). Note empathy, not sympathy.

the lol was me!
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
the ouch was a bout of empathy (something that differentiates us from many animals and insects). Note empathy, not sympathy.
the lol was me!
I'm racked with Irish-Catholic guilt.

Empathy is good.

Sociopaths are lacking in it.

Thumbs up!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism has theism in it too...
And pantheism (true pantheism, and not nature polytheism) is definitely not theistic, at least in the common used sense.
I sometimes look at pantheism and panentheism as NOT the opposite of atheism but as part of a different typology altogether
The term atheism originated from the Greek (atheos), meaning "without god(s)".

II once read an article that asserted that pantheism is just souped up atheism (I.e. Atheism with an element of non-supernatural spirituality)

But this is really outside of my pay grade. Haven't put enough thought to it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
II once read an article that asserted that pantheism is just souped up atheism (I.e. Atheism with an element of non-supernatural spirituality)
Pantheism - souped up atheism - that would support my idea that the typologies really are different - i.e. they approach the issue of religion from different perspectives.

And almost support our briefly shared collective idea that I am an atheist. Though the "nen" after the pan dampers that a bit.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
HEY! how can you have non-supernatural spirituality? I thought spirituality was on your list of religious terms.

(I take solace in that comment as it has been what I have been saying all along)
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

I've come full circle on Frijoles. From Jewish (in both senses) to agnostic to possible atheist (he really had me fooled!) back to a follower of Judaism. This, as I recently posted, is borne out through his actions, his practice. He is what he does. He likes to talk around it a bit ("finding nuance") but this is his practice, his faith, his religion..

All that other stuff - the pantheism etc - is philosophic inquiry. All good, but ancillary, secondary.(And why have religion-light, when you already have the real thing?! Perhaps it enhances...)

He is a true MOT.(Member of the tribe, as my dear departed friend, Harris Joel Shupak, used to call himself. From the family of the famous Shupak Pickle Co. of Philadelphia - no longer around either.)
Harris said this but also was a big fan of JC. He also liked to think outside the box.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

former res wrote:
I've come full circle on Frijoles. From Jewish (in both senses) to agnostic to possible atheist (he really had me fooled!) back to a follower of Judaism. This, as I recently posted, is borne out through his actions, his practice. He is what he does. He likes to talk around it a bit ("finding nuance") but this is his practice, his faith, his religion..
All that other stuff - the pantheism etc - is philosophic inquiry. All good, but ancillary, secondary.(And why have religion-light, when you already have the real thing?! Perhaps it enhances...)
He is a true MOT.(Member of the tribe, as my dear departed friend, Harris Joel Shupak, used to call himself. From the family of the famous Shupak Pickle Co. of Philadelphia - no longer around either.)
Harris said this but also was a big fan of JC. He also liked to think outside the box.
Not sure if I should blush or note that you FINALLY go it!(philosophic inquiry vs behavior, etc)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
HEY! how can you have non-supernatural spirituality? I thought spirituality was on your list of religious terms.
(I take solace in that comment as it has been what I have been saying all along)
Someone else's description, not mine :-)

I posted a while back that getting atheists to agree on anything is like herding cats. There are many that avoid the word spirituality (like me), but some do use it. Sam Harris is releasing a book - "Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion", but criticism within the atheist community is hot and heavy.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if I should blush or note that you FINALLY go it!(philosophic inquiry vs behavior, etc)
Better late than never!

I'll let you know how to send me my gold star.
jimbo

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: are you looking ?orI a free history lesson, for about the past 3000 years to present? and of course the more you tick G-D off, the more problems anyone is going to have. with internal and external squabbles with lies, causing more diversity. if it was not for all the lying, we could all get along peaceably. but you know there is always someone or some group, who thinks their lying makes them more special.
Well what's the difference between a normal Jew and a messianic Jew?, i don't know. Any info would help. Thanks jimbo

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Judged:

jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well what's the difference between a normal Jew and a messianic Jew?, i don't know. Any info would help. Thanks jimbo
Google is such a tough tool to use.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
Pi is...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Pi is...
And imaginary numbers are still make-believe

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Does theism require a deity separate from the observer? Not by definition, at least I don't think so.
The fact that panentheism has "theism" in its name would tell me that it is a form of theism.
pan - Greek for "all"
en - Greek for "in"
theos - Greek for "God"
Panentheism - "All-in-God"
But that's just a pragmatic look at it, not necessarily a philosophical one.
rabbee: just when i though pan was a goat, who considered himself as half human.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: a normal jew??? well i cannot say that any alleged as jew, should ever be considered as normal. well never the less, an alleged as messianic jew, claims that Yeshooah is HaMosheeach. and the alleged orthodox jew, who have no idea who HaMosheeach is says oh! no he isn't. while Who G-D, says is Adam Who was put to death, say your all wrong, and yes They always are. hopes this answers you question, with the greatest of simplicity here in The Same Story again from G-D of Only TheTorah.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
Gnostic atheism, no.

Agnostic atheism, yes.

" The right conclusion would instead be agnosticism."

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Google is such a tough tool to use.
rabbee: well mr bean flatulence, if google could define. what a normal jew is, i am sure you would try much harder to be normal.?!:) because the world against G-D, commanded it normally so.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Pi is...
rabbee: is that, apple pi or peach pi???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 60,801 - 60,820 of64,874
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Fire Warning for Grant County was issued at April 15 at 2:13PM MDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Gila Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Gila People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE