Your View: Letters to the editor (Apr...

Your View: Letters to the editor (April 2)

There are 7 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Apr 1, 2011, titled Your View: Letters to the editor (April 2). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

They came to cut Social security, they came for Medicare, they came for alternative fuels, and they have come for the unions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

LC Today

Brighton, MI

#1 Apr 2, 2011
Dia Taylor....I understand what you're saying, however, man in our "infinite" wisdom will destroy this entire planet and mankind with it. The human species is the plague and pestilence that systematically destroys anything standing in its way of what it wants. Sad, I know, but true none the less.
sincamisa

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Apr 2, 2011
Farmers in New Mexico waste water beyond belief! I guess euphemistically speaking they are pig farmers...real hogs about scarce water. I think they laser level to, in part use less water. There are better ways, but not cheaper. Because it is your right to waste a common resource does not make it ethical.
Think about it

United States

#3 Apr 2, 2011
Carol, there is a difference between a public union and a private union. What has been in the news is public unions. Public unions are unions whose members are employed by the government. No corporation is making any money off the public union employees.

Public unions are like monopolies and like other monopolies should be regulated by a public entity. We don't let El Paso Electric set it's own rates and it's own territory. The public union should not be allowed to set it's own rates either.

Private unions are entirely different. If a private union forces it's corporate employer to agree to conditions that cause it's products to be priced too high, then we as the public can chose another product. Ford gets too expensive, then we buy Toyota, a non union product. We have a choice.

If the trash collectors go on strike, we have no choice. No choice for us should equal no bargaining power for them.
Think about it

United States

#4 Apr 2, 2011
Dia, laser leveling is a method used to minimize water usage. If the field gets an inch of water, then that field has to be very level for that water to lay an inch over the entire field.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Apr 2, 2011
"The Supreme Court has declared that corporations may give as much as they want to whomever they want in the next election. Why?" Corporations not only can give unlimited 'uncoordinated' support, more insidiously they can also anonymously donate to money laundering outfits like the Chamber of Commerce and Karl Rove's bunch. now they can hide the donations behind

Why? Because there are four corporatist Justices with massive conflicts of interest sitting on SCOTUS.

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Apr 2, 2011
Carol,- It's about basic workers rights that the Reich-wing oligarchs' toadies - propaganda houses posing as 'think tanks,' FuxNews, and hate radio - are attacking. It is the culmination of 40 years of the billionaires' coup in slow motion. Actively began with the massive shifting of wealth than began with Reagan's voodoo economics, the concentrated attack on unions that started with the air Controllers, right up to the recent attack on child safety laws, voters' rights, women's rights, environmental protection, or public unions.

One of the most effective strategies was developing and launching carefully planned--and handsomely financed--political counter- attack, the core of which centered around a capture of the federal judiciary. See:

HOW FEDERAL JUDGES ARE SCHOOLED IN ALLOWING MONOPOLIES http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/2/7/10146/...

and:
Antitrust Law & Economics Review http://web.archive.org/web/20000815200853/htt...

Today they are focused on attacking on the Democratic Party's base in this brief window of opportunity..

"The public union should not be allowed to set it's own rates either." Damn! Haven't you heard of the elected officials who are their bosses?

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Apr 3, 2011
Carol - I'm sure you read that GE had made $14.2 BILLION in pure profit and $3.2 BILLION in tax credits, paid ZERO in income taxes, yet are demanding major concessions from its 15,000 union workers!

And some propgandized fools regurgitate the right-wing talking point that this battle is just about those greed public union Americans.

Good read: "At war against workers while the greedy get a pass"
Once upon a long time ago, a tired man faced an audience of public workers. They were on a wildcat strike, demanding the right to bargain collectively and to have the city for which they worked automatically deduct union dues from their paychecks. The city's conservative mayor had flatly refused these demands....

On Monday, it will be 43 years since that man was shot from ambush and killed in Memphis, Tenn. Martin Luther King's last public actions were in defense of labor and union rights.

One wonders, then, what he would say of Wisconsin.... http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_1775375...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gila Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jul 17 Tony 630
News Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Jun 27 AmPieJam UncleSam 5
News Twenty-five car pile-up leaves six people dead Jun '17 Budda Gojkovich 2
News Fiesta Latina heats things upJune 19th, 2017 Jun '17 I love the southwest 1
News 16-year-old student dies (May '07) Jun '17 Cherie griego 10
News Man caught hunting out of season fined $4k Jun '17 Bob 1
News Doctor accused of inappropriate exam behavior t... (Nov '09) Jun '17 Yimminy Rickets 356

Gila Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gila Mortgages