Man, 85, must sell truck, stop driving

Man, 85, must sell truck, stop driving

There are 13 comments on the Silver City Sun-News story from Mar 24, 2011, titled Man, 85, must sell truck, stop driving. In it, Silver City Sun-News reports that:

An elderly Silver City man who was involved in a fatal accident earlier this month was arraigned Wednesday in Magistrate Court on one count of homicide by vehicle; great bodily harm by vehicle, a third-degree felony.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Silver City Sun-News.

Newby to Silver

San Jose, CA

#1 Mar 25, 2011
Shouldn't the title of this story be, "Elderly man involved in fatal accident arraigned for homicide".

The story is not that the poor man will not be able to get around because he must give up his car, the story is that he killed a person in the same place he almost killed a person a few months earlier!
Edi

United States

#2 Mar 25, 2011
Newby to Silver wrote:
Shouldn't the title of this story be, "Elderly man involved in fatal accident arraigned for homicide".
The story is not that the poor man will not be able to get around because he must give up his car, the story is that he killed a person in the same place he almost killed a person a few months earlier!
I have to agree with Newby! Grandpa most definitely killed someone, and will be seeing prison time sooner or later.
pete and repeat

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Mar 25, 2011
He's not going to prison. He's 85 years old! Do you want to pay for his upkeep? Clearly if his vehicle is taken away, he no longer poses a threat and no jury is going to imprison him.
yeah - what he said

Silver City, NM

#4 Mar 25, 2011
there will be no time spent hopefully the D.A. will see to it this old man is in the care of some responsible person for the rest of his life.
hannajh

San Diego, CA

#5 Mar 25, 2011
freaking finally!
james russell

El Paso, TX

#6 Mar 25, 2011
This is what you get when you allow an elderly person to continue to operate a motor vehicle after almost killing someone the first time. The problem is the people who sell to such irresponsible people who figure they can still drive even with their license revoked or suspended. Where was the man's family that they allowed him to get behind the wheel? Sorry but he needs to be put under direct supervision and an ankle bracelet activated to prevent him from driving.
SHEESH

Silver City, NM

#7 Mar 25, 2011
james russell wrote:
This is what you get when you allow an elderly person to continue to operate a motor vehicle after almost killing someone the first time. The problem is the people who sell to such irresponsible people who figure they can still drive even with their license revoked or suspended. Where was the man's family that they allowed him to get behind the wheel? Sorry but he needs to be put under direct supervision and an ankle bracelet activated to prevent him from driving.
Ankle bracelets to keep the old fart from driving? how does that work? When the bracelet gets to close to a gas pedal it shocks the old man?
Mr Magoo

United States

#8 Mar 25, 2011
Edi wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with Newby! Grandpa most definitely killed someone, and will be seeing prison time sooner or later.
You want an 85 year old man to rot in prison...what a peach you are.

It happens, people get old, and don't realize that they shouldn't be driving. It is their only sense of independence. If anyone should be blamed, it is the Motor Vehicles Dept. for issuing him a DL to begin with. They should be more strict on testing the elderly after a certain age.
Fly on the Wall

Silver City, NM

#9 Mar 25, 2011
If you look up court records there are quite a few for a Bobby Serna born in 1984. Don't know if it's the same person as the victim but the age matches. They include driving with a suspended license, possession of a controlled substance, and racing. Could it be that this senile old man is not entirely 100% to blame for the crash and the severity of it?
Regardless, I agree that MVD has a responsibility to make sure that a person is competent to drive before issuing or renewing a license.
krown

United States

#10 Mar 25, 2011
this should have happened 6 months ago. the old man is 100% responsible because he swerved into oncoming traffic and killed my friend. BJ's record has nothing to do with his death. He was not racing, speeding or breaking the law at all.
StayAsleep

Burlington, WI

#11 Mar 26, 2011
If he truly owned the vehicle...the courts could not order him to sell it.
Really

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Mar 27, 2011
StayAsleep wrote:
If he truly owned the vehicle...the courts could not order him to sell it.
Of course she can. She ordered that as a condition of his release from jail. So he has three choices: he can sell it, it can be immobilized (a boot), or he can stay in jail! And, bravo, Judge Laney. She at least has the guts and foresight to do what Judge Ruiz should have done after his first crash. I'm sure he was cited into court, and would have had to appear in front of her. Why didn't she notice his obvious medical issues? She could have requested MVD to yank his license, she could have ordered a competency hearing from District Court. Why didn't she??
Old man Jenkens

Silver City, NM

#13 Apr 12, 2011
what is the deal with wanting to give him a pass on punishment simply for being old.

i am plenty old and if i kill a bystander i expect to be punished.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gila Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southwest Print Fiesta will be held on Labor Da... Aug 18 just asking 1
News Luna County enters Joint Powers Agreement for C... (Jun '15) Aug 4 save the water 5
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jul '16 TWP 72,037
News DA Walks Away from what should have been a DUI ... Jul '16 Vera lane 1
Silver City, , but choice of NOT accepting ever... Jul '16 mrtnz1955 2
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... Jun '16 Susanna 7
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jun '16 Tony 625

Gila Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gila Mortgages